Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-19-2012, 18:58   #1
md2lgyk

Diamondback Firearms

I know they're relatively new on the market, but does anyone own one or have any experience with one? Their 9mm seems too small to be true.
Old 09-19-2012, 19:10   #2
NeverMore1701
Platinum Membership
Fear no evil.

Terribad.
For the last time
NeverMore1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 19:18   #3
md2lgyk

Is this opinion based on personal experience??
Old 09-19-2012, 19:20   #4
NeverMore1701
Platinum Membership
Fear no evil.

I've neither of owned nor shot one, but the one I looked at at Academy a couple of days ago was spitting metal shavings out the magwell when I racked the slide.

Not only that, but I've read dozens, if not hundreds, of horror stories about them for every single good (or even neutral) report.
For the last time
NeverMore1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 19:26   #5
PaulMason

I shot a DB380 at the range - 50 rounds - no problems. I thinking of getting one or a S&W bodyguard.

A respected poster - LongGun1 - bought one - good enough for me. Get the latest serial number.

Last edited by PaulMason; 09-19-2012 at 19:27..
PaulMason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 20:00   #6
hoghunter82
FL Glocker #182

I say this every time someone posts about DB. Take a drive to Cocoa, FL and go see where they are made. You will quickly discover that DB is more interested in making airboats than they are firearms. No thanks. I think I'll trust my life and spend my money with a company more invested in firearms manufacturing. By the way, they are just a few buildings down from Kel-Tec.
hoghunter82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 20:14   #7
poodleplumber

I shot a .380 at the range once. It was forced on me by a new purchaser who was very proud of it. It stovepiped twice in one magazine, and it was all I could do to keep the thing on paper. It did not have a quality look or feel to it. I guess you could say that I didn't mind handing it back. It did not impress me one bit.
poodleplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 20:44   #8
CDR_Glock

Quote:
Originally Posted by md2lgyk View Post
I know they're relatively new on the market, but does anyone own one or have any experience with one? Their 9mm seems too small to be true.
In a time when the economy was down, I said what the heck. American jobs, and an American product. Why not? I have some time and a little money to take a chance with it. I even went to their forum and followed the break in methods. Unfortunately I got a lemon.

They're an offshoot of Keltec. They make speedboats. The DB380 had issues and I figured since they "learned from their mistakes", the 9mm would be better.

It's a mixed bag. When you buy a gun you want it to shoot every time. You want it to last. You want a magazine to last and not fatigue after a short term. This brand does not fulfill any of those requirements for me.

I had a DB9.
Walking pins - they eventually found a fix.
Cracked frame after 625 rounds-they replaced it
Chipped feed ramp - after only 100 rounds?
FTE/FTF/Double Feeds: unreliable

It got to the point that it was failing every other round in one magazine. Some will tell you it works for them. No one ever showed pictures or a video of them shooting it. What magical technique did they have? No one would tell. Really? You say it can go 1500 rounds without a hiccup? You're not willing to share how you do it? Oh well, it's not worth it to figure it out. This was their support discussion board.

I took it to my gunsmith. He said get rid of it. It's a piece of Crap. I called it the DiamondCrap DB9. I did heed his advice, and I got the Sig P238. No regrets. Accurate to 25 yards for me, reliable, comfortable and safe. I then bought a P938. 3 failures in the first three boxes but none since. It handles plus P. Excellent gun.

-

Save yourself some aggravation. It's a piece of junk. I lost $150 and wasted time and ammo shooting it. You want a real pocket gun, then get a Rohrbaugh.

My YouTube Channel:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by CDR_Glock; 09-19-2012 at 20:48..
CDR_Glock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 04:12   #10
bac1023

I've heard mixed reviews on the Diamondback pistols.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bac1023 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 04:34   #11
Arc Angel
Deus Vult!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDR_Glock View Post
...... You want a real pocket gun, then get a Rohrbaugh.
Are ya sure?
Arc Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 05:07   #12
ChuteTheMall
HildabeastHater

I don't support Obama supporters.
"I was part of a 10-person team at the human genome project that weaponized diseases to fight weaponized diseases. Pathogenic microorganisms with pathogenic microorganisms. Fire with fire. Interdepartmental drinks were had, relationships made..."
ChuteTheMall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 06:50   #13
maxpower220

I had one. It had a chamber size problem on the first round I put in. I sent it back to DB and they replaced the barrel. I had it for about a year and shot about 800 rounds through it. The only "problems" that I experienced I attribute to operator error. The smallest and lightest 9mm gun is a snappy little thing. If you don't have a good grip and form, you will probably get some failures. Like most micro guns, the DB wasn't pleasant to shoot for more than 100 rounds at a time. The issue that I did have was resolved rapidly (about 9 days from leaving to receiving) and the walking pins issue was resolved for everyone for free, simply by emailing DB, they sent new replacment pins.

While some will argue that guns should not have failures for "limp wristing", I believe that it does happen with micro guns. I traded the DB9 for a Shield 9. At the range, the Shield is a much better, easier gun to shoot. The DB9 can't be beat for carry. The trigger, size and sights on the DB9 are very good. It looks and breaks down like a glock. I miss the DB9 and will probably purchase another one in the future since my job situatiion has improved.

Check the DB website. You will find a lot of people who have had issues with the gun. Search for yourself from owners, and not just internet "experts" with no real knowledge or experience.
Attached Thumbnails
General Firearms Forum - Click for larger version  

Last edited by maxpower220; 09-21-2012 at 09:08..
maxpower220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 07:32   #14
md2lgyk

Thanks for all the input. I've read enough to convince me to look elsewhere for a small 9mm.
Old 09-20-2012, 21:21   #15
wk9k

Hey just saw this thread had to throw my .02 cents in. The db9 is nice to look at. But function wise it is a piece of **** and db's willingness to fix the ongoing issues with their pistols sucks! My trigger literally broke on mine as well as others on the db forum. I took it apart and alot of the critical components were MIM including the tiny trigger connector ears is where it broke in half. I have a writeup with pics on the diamondbackforum user wk9k.....
wk9k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 05:42   #16
Myke_Hart
Handloader

I have both. I currently carry the DB380 daily. I have had to send it back twice but I had one of the first few guns that came out and they have made a ton of improvements. Check out my upgrades post from a while ago. Runs absolutely perfect.

I have the DB9 as well. It is also a early gun. Still breaking it in. I have had some malfuctions with it, testing different ammo. I need to just run 500 rds thru it, but the thing is a beast to shoot. Not for the weak handed limp wristers. I have sooo many guns I have not gotten back around to it.

With my dealings with Diamondback I have found they are a solid company with good customer service. I have not paid any shipping to send a gun back, or for upgrade parts, other than for more magazines. They have not given me any grief about sending a gun back and have taken care of me very quickly. Turn around has been around 2 to 3 weeks for me, shipped direct to my door.

Here are mine.
Proof of ownership.
DB9
General Firearms Forum

DB380
General Firearms Forum

Now if they would just get those night sights in stock!

Got Guns? Does she know about it?

Last edited by Myke_Hart; 09-21-2012 at 05:45..
Myke_Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 09:15   #17
wk9k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myke_Hart View Post
I have both. I currently carry the DB380 daily. I have had to send it back twice but I had one of the first few guns that came out and they have made a ton of improvements. Check out my upgrades post from a while ago. Runs absolutely perfect.

I have the DB9 as well. It is also a early gun. Still breaking it in. I have had some malfuctions with it, testing different ammo. I need to just run 500 rds thru it, but the thing is a beast to shoot. Not for the weak handed limp wristers. I have sooo many guns I have not gotten back around to it.

With my dealings with Diamondback I have found they are a solid company with good customer service. I have not paid any shipping to send a gun back, or for upgrade parts, other than for more magazines. They have not given me any grief about sending a gun back and have taken care of me very quickly. Turn around has been around 2 to 3 weeks for me, shipped direct to my door.

Here are mine.
Proof of ownership.
DB9
General Firearms Forum

DB380
General Firearms Forum

Now if they would just get those night sights in stock!
I hope your not using those for your personal/family protection. But just something to mess around with at the range or for a paperweight. I am totally done with db and it didnt take me long to realize they suck at making pistols and go the cheap route. Unlike some people that just doesnt get it in their heads that they are junk and to just stop wasting their time sending their guns back just to have to send it back a few more times...like I said their critical parts are MIM and since this is a really small 9mm, the parts are really small. Now those MIM parts have a greater chance of breaking. They should have used machined bar stock steel and beef them up. For $400 you'de think they would use better materials. Just saying.
wk9k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 09:22   #18
Bilbo Bagins
Slacked jawed

The best thing to do when thinking about a gun is to hit the guns forum page.

Its bad when fans of the gun have multiple problems/complaints, and admit to major problems.

http://www.diamondbacktalk.com/forum/index.php
Bilbo Bagins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 09:38   #19
arkdweller22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arc Angel View Post
Are ya sure?
I've owned two DB380's (one was a replacement for the original) and a Rohrbaugh I can say that's good advice. The DB's are long gone and good riddance!
OTOH the Rohrbaugh rides my pocket daily. No issues with factory ammo. It is fired twice monthly and the recoil spring replacement schedule is followed.
To date it has been reliable and I trust my life to it.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

-Jorge Agustín Nicolás Ruiz de Santayana y Borrás (George Santayana)
arkdweller22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 14:46   #20
PEC-Memphis
Scottish Member

Here's what I wrote in another thread about pocket semi-autos:

Quote:
Something comparable in size is the Diamondback DB9. A student of mine purchased one and wanted me to evaluate it. I probably fired 200 rounds of WWB and 10 rounds of Remington GS 124. It was 100%. Decent sights (can't judge their durability however). Not quite as accurate as my LCP, but perfectly adequate for the type of gun. As expected, recoil was brisk. I chrono'ed some of the WWB from the DB9 and a G34, although there was some loss of velocity, it seems to be an acceptable compromise for the size of the DB9 - still significantly more momentum and energy than a .380.
This was last spring, the gun was early 2012 production. My very limited experience with one particular DB9 was favorable, apparently experiences vary quite a bit.

Last edited by PEC-Memphis; 09-21-2012 at 14:47..
PEC-Memphis is offline   Reply With Quote