Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-19-2012, 14:05   #1
PVolk

Extended magwells and extended mag bases

I just recently ordered an extended magwell for my Glock 24. A Dawson to be exact. Is it safe to assume some sort of extended magazine base plate is required?

If so, can anyone recommend one specifically? I don't nessacerily need a greater capacity, but it surely wouldn't hurt either. Obviously, extra weight is a plus too, so I'd probably want some sort of metal as apposed to plastic/rubber. Am I on the right track here?

I found a few for sale, but they're more expensive than I expected. Is $20-40 the going rate for one base?

http://glockstore.com/pgroup_descrip...BExtensions%2F

http://glockstore.com/pgroup_descrip...BExtensions%2F

http://glockstore.com/pgroup_descrip...%26filter_4%3D
Old 09-19-2012, 15:04   #2
Chris Chris

The extended mag well will prevent you from slamming a standard magazine into the mag chute in a normal reloading movement. You do need extended base plates, just to get the mags into the gun quickly. Without the extended base plates you'll have to poke a finegr or two up into the mag well... forcefully!... to seat the mag.

I don't use extended mag wells (but see many... and these problems.. as a IDPA SO) but you might want to ask any extended base plate provider if theirs work with your Dawson mag well. They should know if their product is extended enough to make a speed reload.

And, yes... those extended base plates to work with a mag well are expensive!

Last edited by Chris Chris; 09-19-2012 at 15:05..
Chris Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 15:09   #3
PVolk

Yeah, forcefully using fingers during a mag change is what I want to avoid. I definitely would want the mag to hang a little lower than the magwell.

Quote:
The extended mag well will prevent you from slamming a standard magazine into the mag chute in a normal reloading movement.
What do you mean by this?

Last edited by PVolk; 09-19-2012 at 15:23..
PVolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 15:42   #4
Chris Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by PVolk View Post
Yeah, forcefully using fingers during a mag change is what I want to avoid. I definitely would want the mag to hang a little lower than the magwell.

What do you mean by this?
What I mean is that the extended mag well will prevent your grabbing the magazine in a normal manner, inserting it into the mag well, and slamming it home with the heel of your hand. The extended magazine well will prevent that movement from properly seating the magazine because of the extension that does not allow this type of reload.
Old 09-19-2012, 21:28   #5
waktasz
Gamer Scumbag

Wrong.

The Dawson magwell works fine with stock base pads.

The Dawson +.100 pads can make it a little bit easier to seat them, but I used stock mags for a while and didn't have any problems.

Furthermore you say "I don't use extended mag wells..." so maybe you should keep quiet on the subject since obviously you are giving incorrect advice.

Last edited by waktasz; 09-19-2012 at 21:29..
waktasz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:16   #6
Chris Chris

I've used extended mag wells in the past, and having been a IDPA SO for 7 years (and a competitive shooter for many years prior to that) have seen many in use by other shooters. I've yet to see one that didn't require extended base plates for a faultless reload. YMMV.
Old 09-20-2012, 09:28   #7
TheBelly

I'd say that if you're going to the extent of getting magwell parts, then go ahead and go all the way by getting the longest mag extension allowed by whatever 'league' you're into shooting (IDPA, USPSA, EIEIO, whatever)...

I've yet to hear anyone complain about having too much ammo, ever.

So 'true'. Nothing 'false' with a dog.
Either they love you, or they can't stand you.
RIP Lilly
TheBelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 11:52   #8
waktasz
Gamer Scumbag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Chris View Post
I've used extended mag wells in the past, and having been a IDPA SO for 7 years (and a competitive shooter for many years prior to that) have seen many in use by other shooters. I've yet to see one that didn't require extended base plates for a faultless reload. YMMV.
Well now you have...

Old 09-20-2012, 12:36   #9
Chris Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by waktasz View Post
Wrong.

The Dawson +.100 pads can make it a little bit easier to seat them, but I used stock mags for a while and didn't have any problems.

Furthermore you say "I don't use extended mag wells..." so maybe you should keep quiet on the subject since obviously you are giving incorrect advice.
I guess when you said that the Dawson +.100 pads can "make it easier to seat them" that you acknowkledged that the mags were not so easy to seat without the extended base plate?

That's been my experience running shooters, and using mag wells in the past. I've seen a number of shooters with standard mags and extended magwells that slapped a mag in, with the heel hand reload, that thought they had their mag seated on a reload, and found out a few shots later (when the mag fell out) that it wasn't quite as seated as they had hoped.

Extended base plates tend to solve that, and IMHO, are a good thing if you put an extended mag well on the gun. Of course, YMMV.

I also note from your post that you used standard mags for awhile, but now apparently use base plates? Was your switch because of a boo-boo on the range?

I've seen that happen a lot. I guess you have to. So why recommend against extended base plates now, when you now use them?

A youtube video does not convince me otherwise. I've spent too much time running a timer, and seen too many mag seating failures with extended mag wells and stock mags.
Old 09-20-2012, 12:51   #10
waktasz
Gamer Scumbag

I have a couple of them. Turns out they were pretty much a waste of $50 because they aren't needed. I use them now just to separate my mags visually.
Old 09-20-2012, 13:57   #11
Chris Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by waktasz View Post
I have a couple of them. Turns out they were pretty much a waste of $50 because they aren't needed. I use them now just to separate my mags visually.
Thanks for the explanation of your apparent shift in philosophy and equipment recommendations.

But, please don't tell me that I don't know what I am talking about. I was using mag wells, shooting action pistol, and running IDPA squads while you were still a college kid wondering where you'd get the money for guns & bullets.

It's nice to see that you've advanced beyond that. But, don't get too confident with your new found knowledge. Sometimes long term experience (which you lack) does provide some usefull information .
Old 09-20-2012, 14:13   #12
waktasz
Gamer Scumbag

All I'm saying, is that with this particular magwell (Dawson) you don't need the basepads which you were so 100% confident were necessary. I have not used other magwells on a Glock and I am not commenting on other magwells.

Last edited by waktasz; 09-20-2012 at 14:13..
Old 09-20-2012, 19:38   #13
PVolk

I went ahead and bought 3 of the extended aluminum bases. Mag changes have always had room for improvement for me. I've always been pretty slow and somethimes a bit fumbly. I'm shooting in a match in 3 weeks, so I have some practicing to do. All in all, I think I'll be very happy with the combination.

Last edited by PVolk; 09-20-2012 at 19:39..
Old 09-23-2012, 09:56   #14
HK Dan

Here is a thought PV--practice your reloads! LOL

Use a timer, and aim at a dry fire target with your unloaded gun. Have it cocked. When the timer goes off, initiate your reload. As soon as it's done, dry fire on the target in the A zone. C and D hits dont count as "successful". Now here is the rub; set the par time at what you think you can do it in, and try to dry fire before the second beep. When you make it five times in a row, drop the time by .1 seconds and continue. You should cut your time in half the first night.

If you have trouble progressing at a given point, then we do diagnostic work to eliminate wasted motion. You'll work the reload from aiming to insertion, skipping the dry fire. IE, aim normally, initiate normally, but stop when the mag touches the magwell. Work it backward from there. You'll soon find your "issue" Oft times its as simple as slapping the mag downinto the pouch as you grab it--all motion should be toward the gun.

Do that and you won't need a mag well (I like my guns light for target transitions)
Old 09-27-2012, 17:27   #15
PVolk

This magwell is amazing. My reloads are leaps and bounds quicker right out of the box. Looking forward to practicing with it. The weight is nice too, and another huge side benefit is that I have a better grip with the magwell. The heavy extended mag bases are a perfect touch with the magwell. Overall one of my more favorite upgrades.

General Competition

General Competition

Last edited by PVolk; 09-27-2012 at 20:14..