SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-06-2012, 23:35   #1
JohnnyReb
Lifetime Membership

Moving on from corrections....

I start a new job next week, and the police academy is late this month.

I've been hired as a Deputy Sheriff in my home county, and I'm getting the shot at the career I have always wanted.

I'm still in the inital shock phase of actually getting hired, and finally leaving the jail I have worked at for nearly 6 years, my first "real" job. I'm leaving behind a good agency, and some great friends I have made.

I'll be attending a difficult para-military with nearly a 25% washout rate, with challanging academics, and PT.

I'm looking forward to learning someone knew, and being challanged again professionally.

Wish me luck!
Old 09-06-2012, 23:50   #2
Vigilant

You got it.

I'm pretty content with Corrections, but the political BS is becoming pretty nauseating. I'm about a month away from turning 56. I'm hoping I can hold my nose and keep going for another 12 years, and then head for the pasture.
Old 09-06-2012, 23:51   #3
Cochese
CLM Number 209
Most mackinest

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyReb View Post
I start a new job next week, and the police academy is late this month.

I've been hired as a Deputy Sheriff in my home county, and I'm getting the shot at the career I have always wanted.

I'm still in the inital shock phase of actually getting hired, and finally leaving the jail I have worked at for nearly 6 years, my first "real" job. I'm leaving behind a good agency, and some great friends I have made.

I'll be attending a difficult para-military with nearly a 25% washout rate, with challanging academics, and PT.

I'm looking forward to learning someone knew, and being challanged again professionally.

Wish me luck!

I bet your pops is proud. I miss talking to him!
Old 09-06-2012, 23:58   #4
c01
Crazy Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigilant View Post
You got it.

I'm pretty content with Corrections, but the political BS is becoming pretty nauseating. I'm about a month away from turning 56. I'm hoping I can hold my nose and keep going for another 12 years, and then head for the pasture.
Ditto

D
c01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 00:29   #5
JohnnyReb
Lifetime Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cochese View Post

I bet your pops is proud. I miss talking to him!
The old man actually retires this month.
Old 09-07-2012, 00:56   #6
Cochese
CLM Number 209
Most mackinest

Maybe he can get back on LEF now !
Old 09-07-2012, 01:05   #7
ray9898

Good luck.....the skills you learned dealing with convicts will help you on the street more than you know.
ray9898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 01:06   #8
JohnnyReb
Lifetime Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cochese View Post
Maybe he can get back on LEF now !
I checked out OR/LEF not that long ago, and it looks dead. Once Brad aka "Terminater" sold to Reca, it went down hill.

I still talk to Brad occasionally.
Old 09-07-2012, 01:06   #9
Newcop761
CLM Number 145
Charter Lifetime Member

Congrats!

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
Old 09-07-2012, 05:44   #10
indigent
Bamboozled

Congrats man, I spent the better part of 10 years in the jail watching my friends go to patrol before I decided I had enough.

I've been on the street a little less than a year and I wouldn't go back to the jail for anything.
Old 09-07-2012, 06:11   #11
Metro566
Gunfighter

Congratulations and good luck!

One piece of advice; get out of the "jailer" mindset. This has washed countless Deputies here that have been hired out of our jail...they just don't understand that being a Deputy isn't being a jailer. You can't hose someone down with OC because they refuse to get changed :P

The ones we have hired that have failed are unable to get into the mindset that every day you put on your uniform, batman belt, and gun...you are going to war. If you aren't prepared to do battle, this isn't for you. There are bad people out there (you know them as inmates :P) and just remember that before they get to jail, they fight, run, shoot at, and attempt to kill law enforcement officers and people every day.

If you ever come across someone you have a rapport with from your days as a jailer, do NOT drop your guard because you two were "cool" back in the jail! This could someday get you killed...he is not the same person on the streets as he is in the jail.

Good luck, have fun, and enjoy the ride!

Metro566 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 06:47   #12
11A

Congratulations and good luck!!
11A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 07:28   #13
TBO
CLM Number 122
Why so serious?

Congratulations.
TBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 07:47   #14
fivestar

Congrats, brother! I spent a year in our county jail before transferring to patrol 10 yrs ago. I enjoyed by time in the jail, but id never go back unless I had to.

Good advice has already been posted, but I'll add this: remember the golden rule and treat people as you want to be treated. With that said, have a plan to kill everyone you encounter, as well as an escape route from every area you're in. That may sound harsh, but trust me, after 10 yrs on, at some point it'll come in handy....

Stay safe!
fivestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:14   #15
BamaTrooper
Almost Done

Send a message via Yahoo to BamaTrooper
I can't believe you have my phone number and I have to find out this epic news on the internet

Congrats. Does your 6 years transfer for retirement purposes, not that retirement is even in your near future
Old 09-07-2012, 12:14   #16
Vigilant

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaTrooper View Post
I can't believe you have my phone number and I have to find out this epic news on the internet

Congrats. Does your 6 years transfer for retirement purposes, not that retirement is even in your near future
At the very least, I would bet he is vested in that plan, and can still draw on it as well. Hopefully he is also vested into some type of retirement insurance coverage from that job. It would be nice to have another plan to fall back on if needed.
Old 09-07-2012, 14:04   #17
BamaTrooper
Almost Done

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigilant View Post
At the very least, I would bet he is vested in that plan, and can still draw on it as well. Hopefully he is also vested into some type of retirement insurance coverage from that job. It would be nice to have another plan to fall back on if needed.
We are vested in 10 years but at around 30% and can't draw until 52.

I think his new job is a different county and he will be starting over. Maybe he can pull his pennies and reinvest in a 401k or something.
Old 09-07-2012, 14:20   #18
CJStudent
Fenced In

Send a message via AIM to CJStudent Send a message via Yahoo to CJStudent
Quote:
We are vested in 10 years but at around 30% and can't draw until 52.

I think his new job is a different county and he will be starting over. Maybe he can pull his pennies and reinvest in a 401k or something.
I don't know about how it is where you're at and where he's at, but here in KY, all law enforcement and firefighters are in the state-run hazardous duty retirement plan. Your time for retirement transfers with you when you change agencies, even to different counties and so forth.

Quote:
The first round is a moral decision. All of the following rounds are tactical decisions.
CJStudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 14:29   #19
BamaTrooper
Almost Done

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJStudent View Post
I don't know about how it is where you're at and where he's at, but here in KY, all law enforcement and firefighters are in the state-run hazardous duty retirement plan. Your time for retirement transfers with you when you change agencies, even to different counties and so forth.
Lots of agencies can get into the state retirement plan, but the larger cities seem to have their own. I am not sure about firefighters.
Old 09-07-2012, 14:59   #20
CJStudent
Fenced In

Send a message via AIM to CJStudent Send a message via Yahoo to CJStudent
Quote:
Lots of agencies can get into the state retirement plan, but the larger cities seem to have their own. I am not sure about firefighters.
Gotcha; there's no option here that I'm aware of--it's only that plan.

Quote:
The first round is a moral decision. All of the following rounds are tactical decisions.
CJStudent is offline   Reply With Quote