Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-22-2012, 19:44   #1
roknjs

Advice for P7 as nightstand gun

Thinking of making my P7 my bedside gun. Anyone that does this? What advice do you have? How often should I take it out to clean/lube or does it matter? Do I need to worry about keeping the mags loaded for long periods? Thanks in advance.

"Can't never did anything.". My Dad
roknjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 02:29   #2
WoodenPlank
Who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by roknjs View Post
Thinking of making my P7 my bedside gun. Anyone that does this? What advice do you have? How often should I take it out to clean/lube or does it matter? Do I need to worry about keeping the mags loaded for long periods? Thanks in advance.
Cleaned and lubed every 500 rounds, per the HK manual. Swab bore, scrape or brush out the inside of the gas cylinder, wipe/scrub (NO SCRAPERS OR HARD TOOLS) on the gas piston/rod, a drop of oil on the striker spring, and a clean then relube of the squeeze-cocker under the grip panels. Do not try to disassemble the squeeze-cocker or striker pack. I use SLiP 2000 Gun Lube for the springs and Mil-Comm TW25b for the squeeze-cocker mechanism.

If you decide you want night sights, contact Tool-Tech to get the work done. The factory sights are predrilled for lamps (the white dots are actually plastic rods), and TT can drill out front and rear sights to replace the rods with Tritium lamps. They can also drill the front only and replace the rear sight, or replace front and rear - depending on what sight sizes your pistol has.

There are different heights of front sights used on the PSP at the factory to zero each gun, but aftermarket sights are generally only made in one size. You might get lucky, or you might have a drastically altered point of impact after installing night sights.

Getting ToolTech to do the work avoids this issue entirely. You will ship them the slide only. It's not cheap($180), but it's worth it.

Last edited by WoodenPlank; 08-23-2012 at 02:31..
WoodenPlank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 12:52   #3
Veedubklown

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodenPlank View Post
Getting ToolTech to do the work avoids this issue entirely. You will ship them the slide only. It's not cheap($180), but it's worth it.
If that includes all the machine work and the sights, that's not really that bad of a deal.

As for a nightstand gun, anything you can use with proficiency in a reasonable caliber should work. If it functions well as a duty gun, it should do fine on a night stand.
Old 08-24-2012, 01:28   #4
WoodenPlank
Who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veedubklown View Post
If that includes all the machine work and the sights, that's not really that bad of a deal.

As for a nightstand gun, anything you can use with proficiency in a reasonable caliber should work. If it functions well as a duty gun, it should do fine on a night stand.
As far as I know, that includes all parts and labor.
Old 09-02-2012, 20:30   #5
pck50

The Heckler & Koch P7 Series Pistol makes a very nice night stand Gun just as long as there will never be a Home Invasion being if more then 5 rounds need to be fired then the gun will no longer be able to be held no longer. That was the main reason as to why they discontinued that firearm.
which was replaced by the polymer versions of the USP,P2000, P30, and also the newer HK45 and HK45c.
Some feel that the reason they stop manufacturing it was due to being very expensive which is nothing more then illusions, after all why are other gun manufacturers being able to continue build good solid steel guns and especially at very much affordable prices as well.

Quote:
Old 09-03-2012, 09:24   #6
ca survivor

I'll be concern in giving my position up when squeezing the cocker.
ca survivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:28   #7
FLglockdude

Not enough capacity for a bedside gun IMO.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
FLglockdude is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 10:41   #8
barth
six barrels

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLglockdude View Post
Not enough capacity for a bedside gun IMO.
+1.
Any gun is better than no gun.
But with home defense size isn't an issue.
Unless it's your only gun and has to fulfill double duty.
Full size, high capacity, service autos are standard fare.

I like my HK P30 40 13+1 myself with two extra loaded mags.
And she's my EDC too.

Last edited by barth; 09-03-2012 at 10:43..
barth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 11:30   #9
WoodenPlank
Who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pck50 View Post
The Heckler & Koch P7 Series Pistol makes a very nice night stand Gun just as long as there will never be a Home Invasion being if more then 5 rounds need to be fired then the gun will no longer be able to be held no longer. That was the main reason as to why they discontinued that firearm.
which was replaced by the polymer versions of the USP,P2000, P30, and also the newer HK45 and HK45c.
Some feel that the reason they stop manufacturing it was due to being very expensive which is nothing more then illusions, after all why are other gun manufacturers being able to continue build good solid steel guns and especially at very much affordable prices as well.
It takes a lot more than 5 rounds to make a P7's trigger guard and dust cover dangerously hot - more like 4-5 magazines worth of ammo fired in very short order.

HK discontinued the pistol due to production costs in comparison to sales, not due to the heat of the trigger guard or dust cover.

The cost of the P7 has much less to do with materials, and more to do with the intricacy of the internal mechanism. They had to be hand assembled, and required a well trained tech/gunsmith to put everything together correctly.
Old 09-03-2012, 12:57   #10
CigarandScotch
Fartacus

Sometimes I miss my P7 (I traded it a few years ago). But then I think back to why it was not the optimal gun for me...

For its size and weight it had a low magazine capacity, and at the range it became too hot to handle after 1 to 2 mag dumps (not 4 to 5 as stated above). Otherwise, I loved it and thought it was an excellent design. I kept it for about 15 years. No regrets.
CigarandScotch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 13:04   #11
WoodenPlank
Who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarandScotch View Post
Sometimes I miss my P7 (I traded it a few years ago). But then I think back to why it was not the optimal gun for me...

For its size and weight it had a low magazine capacity, and at the range it became too hot to handle after 1 to 2 mag dumps (not 4 to 5 as stated above). Otherwise, I loved it and thought it was an excellent design. I kept it for about 15 years. No regrets.
With my PSP, it takes at least 4 magazines in short order before the trigger guard gets dangerous. While it certainly gets hot prior to that, it's not hot enough to burn after just a few shots. Simple solution is to just not touch the front of the trigger guard or dust cover. Less simple solution is to wear gloves.
Old 09-03-2012, 18:09   #12
mike28w

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodenPlank View Post
With my PSP, it takes at least 4 magazines in short order before the trigger guard gets dangerous. While it certainly gets hot prior to that, it's not hot enough to burn after just a few shots.
This more closely resembles my experience with my P7 too. Even after shooting 4 mags ( very quickly , mind you), if I were fighting for my life, I doubt that I would even notice the heat....JMO

There must be some differences between P7s.... I really can't explain why some seem to run so hot.... I suspect that there are differences in the gas piston clearances but can't prove it.
mike28w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 21:21   #13
WoodenPlank
Who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike28w View Post
This more closely resembles my experience with my P7 too. Even after shooting 4 mags ( very quickly , mind you), if I were fighting for my life, I doubt that I would even notice the heat....JMO

There must be some differences between P7s.... I really can't explain why some seem to run so hot.... I suspect that there are differences in the gas piston clearances but can't prove it.
Or some people have a lower tolerance for pain from heat.
Old 09-17-2012, 04:28   #14
happyguy
Man, I'm Pretty

The P7 makes for a very safe bedside gun.

Regards,
Happyguy
Proverbs 21:31 The horse is prepared against the day of battle: but victory is of the LORD.

"I refuse to tip-toe through life only to arrive at death safely."
happyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 12:32   #15
NEOH212
Diesel Girl

Quote:
Do you carry a gun? If so, why not just use your carry piece for a night stand gun? (Providing it's not a mouse fart pea shooter.) It should be close by anyhow.
Old 09-17-2012, 20:19   #16
4949shooter

I qualified twice a year for 12 years with a P7M8. The 100 rounds we fired for qualification (60 day and 40 night) did not heat up the gun to the point it was too hot to hold. Extended firing sessions of around 200 rounds fired without cooling time in between mags or boxes of ammo did heat the gun up significantly. I used to wear gloves as someone mentioned above.

The P7 would make an excellent night stand gun. It will be safer to handle when you are groggy from being woken from your sleep. If an attacker gets possession of your weapon, it will take him precious seconds to figure out how to use it on you (unless he is an H&K fanatic which is highly unlikely). No offense, but I wouldn't worry about the grip cocker giving your position away. The attacker is in YOUR house and will most likely expect you to be there. Just squeeze and aim for center mass.

P7's need a small amount of lube but they do need it. Break it down every six months if you don't shoot it in the interim. Put a thin coat on the bearing surfaces. Take off the grips and put a thin coat of lube on the grip cocker sliding parts.
Then put her in your night stand or lock box and she will be good to go. She is a thing of function and beauty.

Oh, the pas piston and gas port are meant to run DRY. Use a six millimeter brush to clean out the gas port, then flush out with gun scrubber or the eqivalent...something that will evaporate. Don't worry about rust in the gas port because it is chrome plated.

One more thing...the magazines are expensive, but buy a few and rotate them every 3 or six months. The magazine springs are the weak points on the P7 series. I had a spring break on me one night as I was approaching a car I had stopped. I heard the rounds "jingling" around in my gun as I walked. I pulled the mag and the rounds all fell out. Popped in a new mag and I was good to go. But definately rotate them.
My issue gun was imported to Chantilly, VA. It was a 91,000 serial number, made in Oberndorf, Germany.

Good luck, and enjoy!
Old 09-18-2012, 17:39   #17
frankemp

I have always regretted not having bought a P-7 when I had the chance. I remember eye-balling a P7M13 at Caso's Gun-a-Rama in Jersey City back in the early 90s and choking on the sticker price ($1300 I believe). But I should have picked it up...

My buddy has an M8 and I shoot it whenever I get the chance.

Why did NJSP get rid of them anyway? I hope you still have yours...
frankemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 06:10   #18
Sgt. Rambo

I absolutely LOVE my P7M8 but with all the other guns I own, I'm not giving it up to the Prosecutor's office for life if I ever had to use it...LOL (NJ thing) 4949 shooter gave great information and I know his agency, he's dead on.
While its a great gun and I love mine, I would go with something else, not of "lesser" craftsman ship or reliability per say but you know how much your P7 is worth. If you use that night stand gun you will lose it for a short while (maybe long while) to investigation. I paid a lot of money for my P7, Im sure you did too. Just my .02

Last edited by Sgt. Rambo; 09-19-2012 at 06:11..
Sgt. Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 13:26   #19
4949shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankemp View Post
I have always regretted not having bought a P-7 when I had the chance. I remember eye-balling a P7M13 at Caso's Gun-a-Rama in Jersey City back in the early 90s and choking on the sticker price ($1300 I believe). But I should have picked it up...

My buddy has an M8 and I shoot it whenever I get the chance.

Why did NJSP get rid of them anyway? I hope you still have yours...
Caso's...is he still around? They decided to get rid of the P7M8's due to the guns aging, and our command staff couldn't come to agreement with H&K over the procurement of parts, etc., so the deal fell through. They initially offered to let us buy our issued guns, but later on the decision was made to destroy them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt. Rambo View Post
I absolutely LOVE my P7M8 but with all the other guns I own, I'm not giving it up to the Prosecutor's office for life if I ever had to use it...LOL (NJ thing) 4949 shooter gave great information and I know his agency, he's dead on.
While its a great gun and I love mine, I would go with something else, not of "lesser" craftsman ship or reliability per say but you know how much your P7 is worth. If you use that night stand gun you will lose it for a short while (maybe long while) to investigation. I paid a lot of money for my P7, Im sure you did too. Just my .02
Thanks Rambo. You make a good point about the possibility of losing the gun due to a shooting, or even theft. It would be a lot easier to part with a $500 Glock for a while.
Old 09-19-2012, 13:35   #20
Sgt. Rambo

4949.... Did I read that correctly??? They DESTROYED them....???? I feel sick to my stomach....