Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-18-2012, 12:52   #1
Atluu

Skeet / HD shotgun

I trying to find a shotgun thats perfect for HD and skeet/trap shooting. Can anyone give me some insights?
Atluu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 12:56   #2
glock_19guy1983

Thats like trying to find a cross between an apple and an orange. a short barreled HD shotgun is going to suck on the range even if you have interchangeable chokes. A skeet/trap shotgun is going to have at least a 24" barrel and harder to maneuver indoors.
"Our situation illustrates the American idea that governments rest on the consent of the governed, and that it is the right of the people to alter or abolish them whenever they become destructive of the ends for which they were established."
glock_19guy1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 12:59   #3
Atluu

Quote:
Originally Posted by glock_19guy1983 View Post
Thats like trying to find a cross between an apple and an orange. a short barreled HD shotgun is going to suck on the range even if you have interchangeable chokes. A skeet/trap shotgun is going to have at least a 24" barrel and harder to maneuver indoors.
Even a 20" ? I don't want to spend $ on both an HD shotgun and a trap,skeet shotgun.
Old 09-18-2012, 13:05   #4
glock_19guy1983

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atluu View Post
Even a 20" ? I don't want to spend $ on both an HD shotgun and a trap,skeet shotgun.
I have just the answer to your problem. Browning A5 (the original, not the new one's). Best shotgun ever made. you can find barrels in any skeet/trap shooting combo you want then you can get an old beater barrel and saw it to 18". Swapping barrels is only a couple min job.
"Our situation illustrates the American idea that governments rest on the consent of the governed, and that it is the right of the people to alter or abolish them whenever they become destructive of the ends for which they were established."

Last edited by glock_19guy1983; 09-18-2012 at 13:07..
Old 09-18-2012, 13:16   #5
FTjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by glock_19guy1983 View Post
I have just the answer to your problem. Browning A5 (the original, not the new one's). Best shotgun ever made. you can find barrels in any skeet/trap shooting combo you want then you can get an old beater barrel and saw it to 18". Swapping barrels is only a couple min job.
yep, what he said. i do it with a remington 870 pump. one barrel with screw in chokes (for skeet & trap) and one barrel (damaged end i picked up cheap) that i sawed off at 20" for HD.
FTjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 15:05   #6
Buffering
The Cooler

You shouldn't refer to perps in your house as "skeet."
"Of every 100 men that go to battle 70 should not even be there, 20 are nothing but targets, 9 are true soldiers, and we are lucky to have them for they the battle make but ONE, one is a warrior, and HE will bring the others home." Hericlitus
Buffering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 16:05   #7
Aiden

How much skeet do you plan on doing, and how far do you plan on taking it?

Best option really is to get two different barrels. You *can* go to the range with a 20inch shotgun, but you'll essentially be playing with a severe handicap.

Not saying you can't bust clays with one, it's just not an even playing field.

I broke in my 21" Benelli M2 by shooting clays with it, but even then I put in an extended IM choke, and a lot of HD barrels will be cylinder bore.
:grouphug:
Aiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 16:46   #8
Atluu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiden View Post
How much skeet do you plan on doing, and how far do you plan on taking it?

Best option really is to get two different barrels. You *can* go to the range with a 20inch shotgun, but you'll essentially be playing with a severe handicap.

Not saying you can't bust clays with one, it's just not an even playing field.

I broke in my 21" Benelli M2 by shooting clays with it, but even then I put in an extended IM choke, and a lot of HD barrels will be cylinder bore.
I might just buy a 870Police and buy a longer barrel just for skeet shooting.
Old 09-18-2012, 17:38   #9
F106 Fan

I can certainly understand buying an 870 Police but I really don't think much about shooting skeet with a pump gun.

Turn down the flames, I know it can be done and it has been done. But it isn't the best way to play the game!

Richard
Old 09-18-2012, 17:43   #10
glock_19guy1983

Quote:
Originally Posted by F106 Fan View Post
I can certainly understand buying an 870 Police but I really don't think much about shooting skeet with a pump gun.

Turn down the flames, I know it can be done and it has been done. But it isn't the best way to play the game!

Richard
Agreed. Ive been shooting an A5 since I was a kid and every time I shoot another person's pump I feel like im at a huge disadvantage. Also if you go to a crowded skeet shoot with an extended mag 870 people are going to laugh at you.
Old 09-18-2012, 17:43   #11
Atluu

Quote:

Richard
So you recommend a semi-auto shotgun for shooting skeet?
Old 09-18-2012, 17:49   #12
2@low8

Quote:

Richard
First 400x400 in skeet was shot with pump guns. 870 with 2 barrels. One 20 inch the other 28 inch screw chokes. You will be pleased with the results and price.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
Old 09-18-2012, 18:19   #13
Aiden

I would agree, a pump is probably not the best way to shoot skeet.

But a pump with a decent length barrel is at least an improvement, and not "new gun" expensive. There's always saving up money for a dedicated skeet gun while shooting the pump in the meantime.
:grouphug:
Aiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 18:40   #14
Adamz04

I bought a new mossberg 500 for about $250 with a 28" barrel and then ordered a 18" cylinder bore barrel for the house for about 80$. One hand screw to change them takes 30 secondss
Old 09-18-2012, 19:30   #15
CharlieDelta127

Buy a Remington 870, or a Mossberg 500. Then, spend the extra $75 to $100 on a barrel. Problem solved.
CharlieDelta127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 19:38   #16
JDennis

I agree with the above. I do everything with my 870. I have 3 barrels for sabot, hd, and skeet/fowl. Granted you probably wont win any competitions with a pump. But the fun factor is still there! If money isnt a factor get a sx3, remington, or benelli semi auto and a extra barrel to have cut down and choke tapped. But the semi auto extra barrels are way expensive.

Last edited by JDennis; 09-18-2012 at 19:42..
JDennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 20:56   #17
Big Bird
NRA Life Member

Skeet's not bad with a pump. Its just the doubles that get you.

Of course everything in sporting clays is shot in a pair. So you are screwed there.

“Est Nulla Via Invia Virute”
Big Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 21:07   #18
ADK_40GLKr

I have a 1965 vintage 16 ga 870.

When I was still a kid, I had a "slug barrel" made for it . Cut down a basic mod choke barrel and had a front sight put on it. I also have a regular modified choke barrel with bead front sight that I use for birds & rabbit and occasionally skeet.

The 22" barrel was lousy for slugs, but makes a nice pattern with #1 buck. I actually found a few boxes of #1 16 ga at CTD.
Luke 22:36 He said to them, “... if you don’t have a Glock, sell your cloak and buy one."

NRA, GSSF, IDPA, NY voter.
ADK_40GLKr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 22:14   #19
Atluu

Is there a difference between the choke/pattern of a 870 police and a 870 express?
Old 09-18-2012, 22:33   #20
cyphertext

Quote:
Is there a difference between the choke/pattern of a 870 police and a 870 express?
No and Yes....

No, choke pattern depends on the barrel / choke and ammo combination, not the model of the shotgun. You will see chokes labeled as full, modified, improved cylinder, skeet, etc, and these restrict the bore in specified measurements.

Yes, the pattern will be different between every shotgun, even those of the same model. You will need to pattern your shotgun with each choke and ammo.
cyphertext is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 22:41   #21
cyphertext

Quote:
Many would say that you need three guns. HD, trap, and skeet are all different.

If you want a gun for HD as the primary role, and shooting clays is just for fun, an Remington 870 or Mossberg 500 with a couple of barrels is a good answer.

If you are wanting to shoot skeet and be truly competitive, you should be looking at a good over under. I agree that skeet can be shot with a pump, but the advantage does go to the o/u, followed by the autos.

Trap shotguns typically have longer barrels and a tighter choke than a gun set up for skeet or sporting clays. I use a field gun for all three games, as I am not looking to be super competitive and enjoy the clay games as a primer for bird season.
Old 09-18-2012, 23:00   #22
Jamesey

I recently tried my hand at clay shooting in a VERY informal outing with a few dozen guys from church. I used a Mossberg 500 with a 30" full choke barrel and also brought along my 20" cylinder bore HD just to compare. I couldn't tell if either gun had an edge over the other as it was my first ever experience. One guy who borrowed the 20 incher called it "sweet", so I guess he was impressed. It seemed that the shorter barrel was easier to swing and follow the targets, and I estimate I hit a third of the clays I shot at. As I said it was very informal and mostly just for fun, but if I do it again I think I'll use the short barrel. Hope this helps.
Old 09-18-2012, 23:02   #23
Atluu

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyphertext View Post
No and Yes....

No, choke pattern depends on the barrel / choke and ammo combination, not the model of the shotgun. You will see chokes labeled as full, modified, improved cylinder, skeet, etc, and these restrict the bore in specified measurements.

Yes, the pattern will be different between every shotgun, even those of the same model. You will need to pattern your shotgun with each choke and ammo.
Thanks, I barely shoot skeet/trap, maybe like once every 2 months. I will most likely end up getting an 870 police and buying a longer barrel. I have no knowledge of chokes, mind if you share some advice?
Old 09-18-2012, 23:41   #24
cyphertext

Here is a basic primer for understanding chokes. Barrels can come with a fixed choke or the ability to add a screw in choke.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/Media...spx?mediaid=20

I have a 1959 Wingmaster 870 that is my HD shotgun. The barrel has been cut to 18.5 inches, and is open cylinder and does not have the ability to add a choke.

My go to hunting and clay games gun is an old Beretta B-4 over and under that has fixed chokes. Top barrel is improved cylinder and bottom is modified. Newer o/u guns have the ability to take screw in chokes.

I also have a Remington 870 Wingmaster that will take screw in chokes. With that one, I can change from a skeet choke which is almost like open cylinder but it protects the threads, out to my super full choke for turkey hunting.

With each of these, I still need to pattern the shot with the ammo I am using. Different brands / types of shells will pattern differently out of the same barrel and choke. For example, Remington heavy dove 7.5s hold a denser pattern than Winchester Super X 7.5s at 30 yards out of my o/u.

Hope that helps.
Old 09-18-2012, 23:47   #25
Atluu

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyphertext View Post
Here is a basic primer for understanding chokes. Barrels can come with a fixed choke or the ability to add a screw in choke.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/Media...spx?mediaid=20

I have a 1959 Wingmaster 870 that is my HD shotgun. The barrel has been cut to 18.5 inches, and is open cylinder and does not have the ability to add a choke.

My go to hunting and clay games gun is an old Beretta B-4 over and under that has fixed chokes. Top barrel is improved cylinder and bottom is modified. Newer o/u guns have the ability to take screw in chokes.

I also have a Remington 870 Wingmaster that will take screw in chokes. With that one, I can change from a skeet choke which is almost like open cylinder but it protects the threads, out to my super full choke for turkey hunting.

With each of these, I still need to pattern the shot with the ammo I am using. Different brands / types of shells will pattern differently out of the same barrel and choke. For example, Remington heavy dove 7.5s hold a denser pattern than Winchester Super X 7.5s at 30 yards out of my o/u.

Hope that helps.
Thanks, I understand not all barrels have threads for a screw in choke. My plan is to get a longer barrel that can use screw in chokes. Are all barrels compatible with each shotgun? Or do I have to get a barrel that specifically made (in my situation) for a remington 870 police. Also are there any other shotguns like the 870? I don't really like the mossberg 500. I plan on putting a pistol grip on it also.