Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-28-2012, 21:19   #1
C/O-RC

Iphone preps

anyone ever thought of using their iphone during a small emergency? a few apps id recommend would be family tracker ( to find love ones) webmd app ( treat minor injuries) red cross has an earthquake app. of course you would need to use them via wifi if the wireless network is down. I see this as useful for friends and family who do not prepare for things. They could download them for free and use them as a safety net.
Old 09-29-2012, 02:53   #2
G29Reload
Tread Lightly

might be helpful, but a prime problem in an emergency could well be loss of power or internet or phone connections. Reliance on cell phone or a lot of electronic things could be a bad choice.

To the extent they DO work….the biggest thing that could help is more POWER.

I just took delivery of a 3200 mah Anker Slim via Amazon for $27 delivered. External battery.

Recharges USB devices,
Has an onboard micro USB connector to charge Blackberries and I think Samsung phones like the Galaxy.

Will recharge my BB 2-3 times. Works great so far. About the size of a thicker 4th gen IPOD Touch, slips right in my laptop bag.

If you're afield and on foot, trying to get home, it could give you several days of extra endurance when you'll never see an electrical outlet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
G29Reload is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 10:24   #3
racerford

I have a number of apps. iTriage, survival manuals, there a lot of apps that do not need cell or internet connections. Find My Friends or Find My iPhone work as well to find friends and family depending on how you are set up.

I find the mophie products useful for extra power, and I have ground zero products as well to keep me powered.

The other secret is managing your power usage by keeping apps closed. Also power off completely and only power up occasionally unless you need contact. both phone voice mail and texts will come to you when you power up. Power down bluetooth, and wifi.
racerford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 12:02   #4
G29Reload
Tread Lightly

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerford View Post
I find the mophie products useful for extra power, and I have ground zero products as well to keep me powered.
the Anker Slim is like Mophie, only reasonably priced.

Same thing in Mophie would have been 40+, this was 22 +5 shipping.

Even better than mophie, its got an onboard connector so no cable carry, and it has an LED flashlight built in!

Also more compact than the same size mophie.

The rest of your advice is spot on, analog copies, and serious power management for what you do use.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by G29Reload; 09-29-2012 at 19:25..
G29Reload is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 13:45   #5
cowboy1964

If cellular is down I'm not sure how many Wi-Fi's will still be up, if for no other reason than power is probably out. Phone network overloading is possible though, even if the cell network is still functioning.

Last edited by cowboy1964; 09-29-2012 at 13:46..
cowboy1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 14:18   #6
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I have one of those Anker slim models too. Plus, of course, you can charge a phone from a 12v power source.

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)
Warp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 20:18   #7
Bow Commander

I also recommend a flashlight app. Mine has a compass, and numerous modes of blinking for the flash on my iphone. Including SOS. The flash is frickin' bright!
Old 09-29-2012, 20:46   #8
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bow Commander View Post
I also recommend a flashlight app. Mine has a compass, and numerous modes of blinking for the flash on my iphone. Including SOS. The flash is frickin' bright!
I carry a 300+ lumen flashlight in my pocket and have an even brighter one in the car. Oh, and the 100+ on my keychain.

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)

Last edited by Warp; 09-29-2012 at 20:46..
Old 09-29-2012, 22:55   #9
Bow Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warp View Post
I carry a 300+ lumen flashlight in my pocket and have an even brighter one in the car. Oh, and the 100+ on my keychain.
Ditto. Minus the keychain one. Doesn't mean you can't spare the MB's on your phone for the app.

I mainly liked the SOS setting.
Old 09-29-2012, 23:13   #10
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Oh yeah, definitely. I have a flashlight app on mine, on one of the home pages.

Old 09-30-2012, 09:16   #11
SFCSMITH(RET)

Well.. I have not been assimilated by the iPhone.. But my Rugby Smart is built to survive the apocalypse, and I have quite a bit of stuff saved on there for just such a problem. The last major thing we had go down here, even cell towers were down for a week.. so I don't rely on anything not on the phone already. I like and use a couple large "Trent" batteries for my phone, and she has a pretty good one with 2 amps out for her iDevices.
SFCSMITH(RET) is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 13:22   #12
M1A Shooter

Send a message via Yahoo to M1A Shooter
ive been looking at the duracell phone chargers that use AA batteries. anyone have any experience with these?

i also dont have an Iphone but my HTC Inspire droid came with the flashlight app installed. wife actually called me when the power went out at the grocery store. i told her to hang up and use the flashlight app to ensure she was safe. i keep it on my home page as well as keeping a fenix LD10 in my pocket. the more options the better.
Old 09-30-2012, 14:52   #13
bdcochran

G29Reload is spot on

Yes, he is spot on. The downside is that when shtf, the cell phone towers will probably be out of commission or overloaded.

So, you have to do some additional thinking outside the box about how you will handle cellphone towers and wifi being down when shtf.

Then, it is thinking about what your options are when the Iphone is working, but you aren't going to get a helpful response from your government to your predicament.
bdcochran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 21:46   #14
Kevin108
HADOKEN!

Interesting things happen during an emergency. Last year we had a microburst in the city I grew up in. I wound up hopping downed trees and power lines to go check on my parents. Once I got there and they were okay, I started trying to make contact with the rest of my family and friends. For hours, I was unable to get a call through over cell service. (Land lines, of course, were in the dirt with the power lines.) Texts, however, were usually successful.
|

Last edited by Kevin108; 09-30-2012 at 21:47..
Kevin108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 22:10   #15
Happypuppy

Smart phones are a important tool having books to apps. I have a small solar charger that works well so even if the phone is out of service I have a small computer available.

This is the charger I use

Last edited by Happypuppy; 09-30-2012 at 22:11..
Happypuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:35   #16
SFCSMITH(RET)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1A Shooter View Post
ive been looking at the duracell phone chargers that use AA batteries. anyone have any experience with these?
In my wifes early road warrior days, she used one for her Razer.. It would take an hour to put 25% charge on her phone. Then the two AA batts where used up. I doubt with a smart phone it could keep up with the overhead at idle..
SFCSMITH(RET) is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:48   #17
M1A Shooter

Send a message via Yahoo to M1A Shooter
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFCSMITH(RET) View Post
In my wifes early road warrior days, she used one for her Razer.. It would take an hour to put 25% charge on her phone. Then the two AA batts where used up. I doubt with a smart phone it could keep up with the overhead at idle..
thanks for the info. good info.
Old 10-01-2012, 19:00   #18
Raiden
C&R Fun!

I like Goal Zero's Nomad 7 portable solar panels with a port for directly charging phones, or the Guide 10 4xAA NiMH recharger. With it, I can charge two phones to near-max on a modestly-sunny day. With the Guide 10, I can take charged NiMH (PowerEX 2700s) or Alkalines and use it to recharge one phone to max and another phone to about 2/3 charge (though I prefer to use the recharged batteries to keep my flashlights powered).

While I'm not dependent on my phone, it can be a nice tool in various situation - with or without service. Most of all the features, I like being able to store all sorts of information on my phone's external storage (a 16GB MicroSD card). I have hundreds of PDF manuals & guides, maps of the entire US highway system, maps of many popular parks, railway maps, topographical maps, travel guides to various cities, ID photos, and lots of other goodies. I try to remember as much of it as possible, but if I have power on my phone, why not enjoy the luxury of having that reference on hand?

I also have lots of apps, which don't depend on WiFi or cellular signal. The compass is pretty good, the GPS works reasonably well with the offline maps (10' ~ 100' resolution depending on the area and age of the maps), the camera is decent and works with a range-finding app (includes a database of average heights of common items like people, vehicles, doorways, etc.), a basic translator (English, French & Spanish offline, dozens more if connected to the internet), a fairly nice graphing calculator, conversion calculator, a so-so pedometer, and a surprisingly good magnifier using the camera.

If I happen to be carrying one of the phones one of my clients issues, they also have an ad-hoc network application that allows several of us to spread out and work as a giant relay network. We've extended signals in some pretty remote locations, including underground, if we situated people around just right. I kinda wish there were a popular ad-hoc app for Android, but it hasn't taken off yet.