SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-19-2012, 19:03   #41
DoctaGlockta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree Rat View Post
Good for you. You like it, I don't. I speak no internet drivel.

It ain't like I was speaking ill of your sister.

TR

You might as well have been.

- Barack Hussein Obama

Last edited by DoctaGlockta; 09-19-2012 at 19:04..
DoctaGlockta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 19:15   #42
Tree Rat
CRB original

Send a message via Yahoo to Tree Rat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado4Wheel View Post
Exactly.
Oh....then I'm an idiot......sorry.

TR
Tree Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 19:19   #43
Tree Rat
CRB original

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctaGlockta View Post
You might as well have been.
Now your really creeping me out.

Maybe I'll give it another try. I'll hit up one of the geezers in the club for a tea cup full and work up some loads in 124 grain.

TR

Last edited by Tree Rat; 09-19-2012 at 19:20..
Old 09-20-2012, 08:04   #44
tnpatriot

Quote:

Maybe I'll give it another try. I'll hit up one of the geezers in the club for a tea cup full and work up some loads in 124 grain.

TR
Show respect , get respect. Please define " geezer ". So if you hope to borrow some powder to use it, this tells us that your statement is not based on personal experience.
tnpatriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:14   #45
tnpatriot

Quote:
Good for you. You like it, I don't. I speak no internet drivel.

It ain't like I was speaking ill of your sister.

TR
Why do some people always get their panties in a knot over a simple post like this. Go to the real house wives forum if you are going through menopause , you may fit in there. We are talking about gun powder here.
Old 09-20-2012, 08:16   #46
DoctaGlockta

Quote:

TR
Some of us here are pretty serious about our beloved Unique. If Jack was around he might have a few (well ok many) things to say as well.

I've stated here many times that Unique should change its marketing tag line to say:

"Unique Smokeless Powder - It ain't just for Grandpa anymore"

- Barack Hussein Obama
DoctaGlockta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:18   #47
tnpatriot

Quote:
Oh....then I'm an idiot......sorry.

TR
I agree on this one. Why, yes, you actually do appear to be a idiot . No need to apologize, we all understand

Last edited by tnpatriot; 09-20-2012 at 08:24..
Old 09-20-2012, 08:24   #48
Kentguy

Rich22,

I must be to only person on this forum who has never tried Unique, so I really can't speak to that powder. I have tried these and have had good success within the criteria you have spelled out.
Alliant Bullseye, Power Pistol
Hodgdon HS6, Universal
Winchester AutoComp, 231, WSF

It would be hard to say which one would be the "best" because they all have different characteristics, but IMHO you can't go wrong with Hodgdon Universal and/or Winchester WSF. Both meter well and (as mentioned) cover a wide range of uses.

Good luck and be safe
Old 09-20-2012, 17:16   #49
Tree Rat
CRB original

To the OP - Rich22. I'm sorry to be the lightning rod for blowing this thread up with my comments about a certain gun powder. Good luck with your search and be careful with your workups whatever you choose.

For you other defensive malcontents - I agree, it's just powder which doesn't justify getting ones panties in a wad. Obviously I have reached some strong opinions about certain products in our hobby. These opinions are personal to me and launching off with the "Unique is the best ever, so you and your stuff must be all hosed up tirade" is when this thing went down hill.

It used to be around here a bunch of us could have some irrevrent banter with some humility and self defication about ones choices in our sport/hobby without any real anomosity or personal slights. I apologize for upsetting the apple cart with the new crew.

What the hell happend to this place................

TR
Old 09-20-2012, 17:23   #50
tnpatriot

Quote:
Originally Posted by tango44 View Post
WIN 231 for me!
I get pretty good accuracy with 231, but I always seem to get a lot of unburned powder . Any of y'all experence this?
Old 09-20-2012, 17:28   #51
tnpatriot

Quote:
To the OP - Rich22. I'm sorry to be the lightning rod for blowing this thread up with my comments about a certain gun powder. Good luck with your search and be careful with your workups whatever you choose.

For you other defensive malcontents - I agree, it's just powder which doesn't justify getting ones panties in a wad. Obviously I have reached some strong opinions about certain products in our hobby. These opinions are personal to me and launching off with the "Unique is the best ever, so you and your stuff must be all hosed up tirade" is when this thing went down hill.

It used to be around here a bunch of us could have some irrevrent banter with some humility and self defication about ones choices in our sport/hobby without any real anomosity or personal slights. I apologize for upsetting the apple cart with the new crew.

TR
Seems to me ,you are the only one with a panty wad. I think what you have found hear is a little maturity. Grow up and hang with us or go back to the house till you do.
Old 09-20-2012, 17:54   #52
Tree Rat
CRB original

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnpatriot View Post
Seems to me ,you are the only one with a panty wad. I think what you have found hear is a little maturity. Grow up and hang with us or go back to the house till you do.
Sure your right. I'm glad to see you reconize who I was primarily addressing here.

Last post on this thread....you win.

TR
Old 09-20-2012, 18:11   #53
CanMan

WW231 or Power Pistol. Both have worked well for me in 9mm loads. I've only used Unique (years ago) in .357 Mag. Bullseye is the powder de jour for double charges.
CanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 19:08   #54
WiskyT
Malcontent

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnpatriot View Post
I get pretty good accuracy with 231, but I always seem to get a lot of unburned powder . Any of y'all experence this?
I only used one pound of it, but I didn't find that. I did find that it acted more like Bullseye with lead bullets than Unique, it was limited to lighter loads before leading set in, but I didn't have unburned powder. It could be the data you were using. See if you can look some older data they might be a little warmer, that might clean things up since unburned powder is usually from too light a charge. With a fast powder like 231 though, it usually doesn't happen as light charges usually work well with fast powders.

"If you kill enough of them, they stop fighting."-General Curtis E. LeMay
WiskyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 19:27   #55
Shooter64

I use Bullseye, W231, and Unique for 9mm.

Bullseye for 90gr bullets, W231 and Unique for 115gr and 124gr bullets.
Old 09-22-2012, 00:00   #56
Gpruitt54

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
WSF, it's pretty much spherical Unique. I find in several calibers, it's veryslightly slower than Unique. So if I do not have WSF data. using starting Unique data is really, really close.
On the topic of spherical powder. I have heard many say that Unique is a spherical powder. Well, I have Unique, HP-38, and Accurate #2. Of the three, only Accurate #2 is a spherical ball powder, Unique and HP-38 are actually flake powders. Unique has a much larger flake than HP-38. But they are definitely not spherical ball powders.

I really like Accurate #2 simply because it is a spherical powder and as such, measures very well with the Lee auto desk measures. I very much want to try other powders. But only if they are true spherical ball powders. Are there any recommendations. Maybe Accurate #5 or #7???
Gpruitt54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 00:13   #57
Gpruitt54

I just did an experiment using Unique. I went to the Alliance website and looked at the load data for 115gn 9mm FMJ. It says to use 6.3gn.

I hand weighed 6.3gn of Unique and poured the powder load into a sized the primed 9mm casing. To my surprise, the powder load filled the case to the top of the case neck. There seemed to be absolutely no room to seat a pulled without compressing the powder. I've read that compressing in the case is something to be avoided.

So, if my experiment is correct, as indicated in the Alliance website, how do you get 6.x grains of Unique into a 9mm casing and still seat the bullet?

Hope this question is not to far of the rails.
Old 09-22-2012, 05:22   #58
WiskyT
Malcontent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpruitt54 View Post
I just did an experiment using Unique. I went to the Alliance website and looked at the load data for 115gn 9mm FMJ. It says to use 6.3gn.

I hand weighed 6.3gn of Unique and poured the powder load into a sized the primed 9mm casing. To my surprise, the powder load filled the case to the top of the case neck. There seemed to be absolutely no room to seat a pulled without compressing the powder. I've read that compressing in the case is something to be avoided.

So, if my experiment is correct, as indicated in the Alliance website, how do you get 6.x grains of Unique into a 9mm casing and still seat the bullet?

Hope this question is not to far of the rails.
There is nothing wrong with compressing loads. If Alliant lists it as safe, it's safe. I run 6.0 with a 124 all the time.

Second, HP38 is ball powder that has been flattened. Why they roll the balls like oats to flatten them I have no idea, but that's what they do with that powder, hence the "ball powder" designation on the bottle.

And AA5 is similar to Unique in burn rate. I have one pound that I use for loading 12G slugs and it flows almost too well. I haven't used it in my Autodisk, but it leaks on my Lee Loadall II. Granted, the Loadall has very lose tolerances, it doesn't leak with Red Dot. I'm only guessing on this, but I could see where AA5 might leak on an Autodisk even though it has tighter clearances.

"If you kill enough of them, they stop fighting."-General Curtis E. LeMay
WiskyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 08:22   #59
Zombie Steve
Decap Pin Killa

Quote:

TR
Jack ain't been posting for a while.

Zombie Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 09:31   #60
Gpruitt54

Hay, I am a new reloader. New reloaders like me, are not likely to redefine or ignore what the manuals recommend. An experienced reloader like your self can do that with a large degree of comfort, but not someone who is just getting started. All of the manuals I have read (Lyman, Lee, Hornady) say that you should not ever compress powder. But,if the manuals are wrong; then, the manuals are wrong. I’ll buy that.

So, a powder that comes outof the bottle as small spherical graduals (like Accurate #2) is called spherical powder. OK, I get that. But if a powder is manufactured as small spherical graduals, but later in the manufacturing process; is pressed into flakes (like Unique), is called spherical powder??? That makes no since to me. Why is this product defined per an incomplete part of its manufacturing process? When you pour Unique out of its bottle, it comes out as individual flat flakes; not spherical graduals. It’s flake powder??? No?

Sorry for the dumb questions,I am trying to get educated on all things reloading. You experienced guys are confusing a new, buy the book learner. I don’t know when it’s OK to ignore the manuals.

On this point specfically, I 've been having issues measureing flake powder. I recently discovered Accurate #2. It measures very well in my Lee ProAuto Disk. Acc #2 is not giving me the FPS I need so, I am looking for other Spherical powders, powders pour from it's bottle as small spherical granduals.

Last edited by Gpruitt54; 09-22-2012 at 09:41..