Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-16-2012, 15:56   #1
mack0311

Arsenal SLR-101

Well I finally did it. I sold a few guns I wasn't crazy about and got my first AK-47. I was already sold on Arsenal's and had my eyes set on a SGL-107, however my LGS's could not obtain any of them. Then I saw it, the SLR-101-13. It was only 100 or so more than an SGL-21 and had a milled receiver, scope mount and single-hook trigger(Tapco i believe).

Ordered the rifle from cheaperthandirt.com
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ItemD...ku=7-GSLR10113

My questions are....

1. I shoot mostly at indoor ranges, what types of ammo should I be looking at? Are there any types of ammo that I should stay away from? Where is a good supplier to get ammo from?

2.Anyone installed the Meprolight Night sights on their AK? good/bad?

3. Any first time AK owner advice?

Rifle should be here in a few days. Thanks for the input,

Mack
mack0311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 16:21   #2
Hamrhed
AKs & Glocks

Welcome to the darkside Wouldn't worry about the sights just yet...

I would look for some surplus mags (30 rd): grab 5 to start if you can. I prefer polymer mags, but metal mags for 47s can be had pretty easily. I would also grab some cheap milsurp ammo; I've had no problems with Wolf, Silver Bear, or Tula ammo. 7.62x39 can be had just about anywhere (I get mine online). I would also grab a simple two point sling: Bulgarian or Russian slings are solid and inexpensive...

Start shooting and get to know the rifle: you can add other things to it as you go. There are plenty of good websites that focus on the Kalash... you should have no trouble gaining insight into the platform!

Last edited by Hamrhed; 09-16-2012 at 16:23..
Hamrhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 18:06   #3
never enough

Any cheap ammo is fine. AKs arent picky on ammo
Old 09-16-2012, 18:13   #4
adamg01

Surplus mags., stay away from any plastic mags that aren't actual Bulgy. Circle 10's. If they aren't reinforced, they are garbage compared to actual surplus steel. I stick with Golden Tiger and Brown Bear for ammo. They are actually loaded to the specs. that they claim and have a better reputation for accuracy over Wolf or Tula.

My Slr-101 will be here tomorrow. I have an Sgl-20 and 21, but this is my first Arsenal Bulgarian. You made an awesome choice for your first Ak. I have owned Maks, Yugos, Vector Bulgys., and Romanians. Nothing for me compares to Arsenal. They have garbage CS and some of their products are way overpriced IMO but, they do make top of the food chain rifles.
adamg01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 18:48   #5
Hamrhed
AKs & Glocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamg01 View Post
Surplus mags., stay away from any plastic mags that aren't actual Bulgy. Circle 10's. If they aren't reinforced, they are garbage compared to actual surplus steel....Nothing for me compares to Arsenal. They have garbage CS and some of their products are way overpriced IMO but, they do make top of the food chain rifles.
I would agree with this- I should have mentioned Bulgy mags as my polymer mag of choice. My Arsenal rifle is a nail driver, and is heads above my previous AK
Hamrhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:56   #6
Three-Five-Seven
Señor Mombo

One thing that has helped me with shooting my AKs is to acknowledge from the start that it is a battle rifle. In a gunfight, front sight is everything. So, when shooting your new AK, first apprehend the front sight and bring the rear sight to it, rather than looking at the rear sight and trying to get the front sight in the notch. Front sight. Front sight. Front sight.

Then, get a safe edge pattern file and widen the rear sight notch to make it easier to use.
Old 09-17-2012, 11:16   #7
plouffedaddy

Quote:
One thing that has helped me with shooting my AKs is to acknowledge from the start that it is a battle rifle. In a gunfight, front sight is everything. So, when shooting your new AK, first apprehend the front sight and bring the rear sight to it, rather than looking at the rear sight and trying to get the front sight in the notch. Front sight. Front sight. Front sight.

I agree 100%. Doing the old 'ready up' drills will help you aquire it more quickly over time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Certified Glock Armorer
plouffedaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 14:44   #8
mack0311

I will def give that a try. I can see how picking up the front site would require a little adaptation from the AR-15.

Who do y'all get your ammo from?
mack0311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 14:49   #9
Glockdude1
CLM Number 185
Federal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mack0311 View Post

Who do y'all get your ammo from?
http://www.luckygunner.com/rifle/7.62x39mm-ammo

http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/index....l-metal-jacket

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.as...Box&groupid=39