Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-15-2012, 18:42   #1
CajunBass

Send a message via AIM to CajunBass
My wife and I went to the gun show today..

Since it was a nice day, and we didn't have anything to do today, my wife and I decided to go to the local gun show. I had a CVA Muzzle-loader I wanted to sell, and just for grins and giggles, I took along that nickeled Model 29-2 I bought a few weeks ago. As nice as it is, I had just never warmed up to it, and who knows. I might see something I couldn't live without.

We got to the show and it was PACKED. Even with handicapped tags we had to park in another time zone. I got my wife's wheelchair out (She can walk, but gets tired quickly) and off we went. Got our tickets, got the guns strapped, hit the head, and started around. I hadn't gone very far, when a fellow stopped me and asked if I wanted to sell the M/L. I assued him I did, a deal was struck, and we were both off on our way.

I had a couple of people express interest in the 29-2, but both were dealers who didn't want to pay what I was asking. No surprise there, I was asking retail for it, after all I didn't HAVE to sell it. Both assured me the price was fair though. We looked around a bit at tables full of Glocks, Beretta's, Rugers, Beenie Babies, Chinese knives, web-gear, and such. We finally stopped, got a hot dog and a bottle of water and took a break.

We went back down one aisle that I thought we had been down, but maybe not. Suddenly, a fellow back of the table sat up and asked my wife..."That for sale?" She assured him "It is if you got the price." He asked to see it, then showed it to the fellow with him. I recognized this fellow. I had sold him a couple of guns not too long ago.

While he was looking at the 29, I was looking over what he had...Ok..be cool...it's just another gun. Don't let him know you're interested..."It" was a 24-3, in 44 Special, 4" barrel, with box and papers.

Fellow asked if I'd be interested in a trade. "Yea..lemmie see that 24 there. He took it out and it seemed to be pretty nice to me. I said "What you got in mind?" He made an offer. I thought for a minute, then remembering my rule "When did you last see one? When do you expect to see another?" I agreed to it. (It was a reasonable offer, IMHO.)

So now I've got this one. I beleive it was made about 1983. It's been fired a few times

General Firearms Forum

General Firearms Forum

I plan to see how it shoots Monday. I've already got plenty of 44 Special ammo for it. It's a very nice match for my 4", 29-2.
John 3:16 (NKJV)

Last edited by CajunBass; 09-16-2012 at 06:53..
CajunBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 18:51   #2
countrygun

Congratulations! Good choice. There are far fewer 24s out there than 29s. I don't know if I would trade my Nickled -1 for one but the blued -3? Probably. I shopped for a 24 for quite a while and gave up. You did good.
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 19:51   #3
seanmac45
CLM Number 38
Charter Lifetime Member

Beautiful piece. Good luck with it.
Old 09-15-2012, 20:08   #4
ronin.45

Nice find!
Old 09-15-2012, 20:11   #5
ctfireman

Very pretty.

Rest in peace Okie, your memory will live on forever.
ctfireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 20:32   #6
concretefuzzynuts
Brew Crew

Congrats!

I always go away with some good deal, too. But I didn't make it to the show this weekend or last.
GTDS Member #7
GOTOD Member #757
Snub Club Member #757
NRA Member
concretefuzzynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 06:30   #7
bac1023

Looks beautiful

Congrats!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bac1023 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 09:39   #8
Bruce M

A great find. My guess is that a Model 24 is one of the rarer N frames.
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 09:55   #9
itstime

Good find.
itstime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 10:29   #10
countrygun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce M View Post
The blued 24 was brought back, it had been dropped in the 50's, because writer Skeeter Skelton pestered S&W and got a write in campaign going. S&W caved in and made a few and then made them in Stainless. I was before they discovered that there was a market in retro and guns like the Thunder Ranch special.
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 13:09   #11
pennlineman

Nice gun! The 24 sure is a tough find, espicially in that condition and barrel length. I'd like one in 5" if I can ever find one. Great guns, congrats!
pennlineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:26   #12
CajunBass

Send a message via AIM to CajunBass
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce M View Post
According to SCSW, they made something less than 2700, with the 4" barrel during those years (83-84). Another 4300 plus or minus with the 6" barrel.

They did make a few with 5" also Penn. Keep looking.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
CajunBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:34   #13
SigFTW

Awesome find!! Sometimes you can make a good deal at the gun show.
Old 09-17-2012, 12:30   #14
Glock40man

Congrats! You definitely don't see those everyday.