Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-15-2012, 19:13   #101
Animal Mother
Not Enough Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingarthurhk View Post
Did you know that doctor's used to prescribe smoking for lun ailements? They were supposed to the unquestioned authorities of their day. We now know how absurd that was. Yet, you assume everything is correct now?
No, we don't assume everything is correct. That's why we ask for evidence and continue to investigate and progress, because we know that we don't know everything.

On the other hand, as GM so ably demonstrates, there is a contingent that insults progress and wishes only to focus on their interpretation of scripture to the exclusion of all else.
Old 09-15-2012, 19:28   #102
ArtificialGrape
CLM Number 265
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Did you know that doctor's used to prescribe smoking for lun ailements? They were supposed to the unquestioned authorities of their day. We now know how absurd that was. Yet, you assume everything is correct now?
Any evidence that the recommendation was based on results from following the scientific method?

Galen also advocated vag*n*l fumigation to treat hysteria, but that doesn't mean it was based on science.

-ArtificialGrape
ArtificialGrape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 21:59   #103
Harper

Why don't we have a physics, science or math subforum? It would be much more beneficial than the religion subforum.
Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 22:06   #104
Geko45
CLM Number 135
Smartass Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harper View Post
Why don't we have a physics, science or math subforum? It would be much more beneficial than the religion subforum.
Because those pesky theists would keep showing up and ruining our threads with bible quotes.

(yes theists, this was firmly tongue in cheek)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Geko45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 22:28   #105
Harper

Seriously, we need one. How do we make that happen?
Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 22:49   #106
n0leafcl0ver

heres some video on this subject.btw, when u guys figure out the answer to this...id like to know what came first? the chicken or the egg?
http://www.cbs.com/shows/big_bang_theory/
n0leafcl0ver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 23:15   #107
9jeeps
Fogey

See it was like this.

God had just finished making the next universe over.

So he brings a hot coal over from that one and with all the volatile gases in our Universe. 'BANG!!!!!!!!'

Of course it was a big one. God has many Universes. Some are really BIG!!!

Any one want to prove me wrong??? Step right up. I mean if you intellects can't even figure out how to make a new forum here. ??????? It's late, I'm not drunk but I'll be praying for ya!!!
9jeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 00:29   #108
Glock36shooter

Quote:
Absolutely not. Where in what I wrote did you get the impression that I think the state of our scientific discovery is perfect in every detail. We're still learning everyday. That doesn't change that so many religious hypocrites out there spit on the notion of scientific discovery while not only enjoying, but depending on it for their very lives. This is hypocrisy any way you wanna slice it. It's truly biting the hand that feeds you... or I guess I should say medically treats you. On the flip side of that coin no mythology has ever given me anything other than a burden and chains. Think about that next time you take even an Advil. The same biology and chemistry that you spit on... made modern day medicine possible.
Glock36shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 00:32   #109
Glock36shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_Manelishi View Post
I don't "bash science" you silly git. I bash "scientific" theories which can neither be proven or falsified except with an equally unprovable and unfalsifiable "scientific" or mathematical formula.

Your "science" is a religion, nothing more or less. You too have your heretics (questioning your dogma) which will be excommunicated if they dare question the holy writ according to Darwin, Dawkins and Hitchens.

Branes, multiverses, strings, quantum singularities. A never ending parade of imaginations and theories. Meanwhile the Word of the Lord continues on forever, unchanging and reliable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Animal Mother View Post
Slavery is still A-OK then? What about executing women for not being a virgin on their wedding night or not sufficiently protesting their rape? Those are part of the unchanging and reliable word of the Lord aren't they?
Indeed... how about it being perfectly fine to rape a single virgin so long as you pay her dad 50 pieces of silver and promise to take the damaged goods off his hands? This still cool as well?
Old 09-16-2012, 00:36   #110
Glock36shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9jeeps View Post
See it was like this.

So he brings a hot coal over from that one and with all the volatile gases in our Universe. 'BANG!!!!!!!!'

Any one want to prove me wrong??? Step right up. I mean if you intellects can't even figure out how to make a new forum here. ??????? It's late, I'm not drunk but I'll be praying for ya!!!
I still like the interpretation that God will eat the souls of the saved in Heaven. All heaven is is a giant eternal buffet for old god... and we are the food.
Old 09-16-2012, 03:33   #111
Animal Mother
Not Enough Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_Manelishi View Post
I don't "bash science" you silly git. I bash "scientific" theories which can neither be proven or falsified except with an equally unprovable and unfalsifiable "scientific" or mathematical formula.

Your "science" is a religion, nothing more or less.
This seemed appropriate as a response.

Religious Issues
Old 09-16-2012, 08:16   #112
Kingarthurhk
Isaiah 53:4-9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtificialGrape View Post
Any evidence that the recommendation was based on results from following the scientific method?

Galen also advocated vag*n*l fumigation to treat hysteria, but that doesn't mean it was based on science.

-ArtificialGrape
Neither was the global warming caused by humans concept prevaricated by experts in the science field until it was determined and revealed that the evidence was falsified. All in the name of a socio-political economic agenda.
Old 09-16-2012, 08:22   #113
Kingarthurhk

Old 09-16-2012, 10:54   #114
Woofie
CLM Number 293
Disirregardless

Send a message via AIM to Woofie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harper View Post
Sadly, the biggest reason I hang out in RI is because this is the closest we get to a STEM forum.

"I don't need to figure probabilities, and I don't need facts." JBnTx

"Maybe they should drink like Woofie and come up with pure brilliance." OXCOPS

"Woofie is the only smart one around here." Photoman642
Woofie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 10:56   #115
Woofie
CLM Number 293
Disirregardless

Send a message via AIM to Woofie
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9jeeps View Post
See it was like this.

I don't have to prove you wrong. Do you have any math to support your model? If not, I can reject your assertion as easily as you made it.

"I don't need to figure probabilities, and I don't need facts." JBnTx

"Maybe they should drink like Woofie and come up with pure brilliance." OXCOPS

"Woofie is the only smart one around here." Photoman642
Woofie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 11:41   #116
Animal Mother
Not Enough Gun

Quote:
Neither was the global warming caused by humans concept prevaricated by experts in the science field until it was determined and revealed that the evidence was falsified. All in the name of a socio-political economic agenda.
When was it revealed that the evidence was falsified? I must have missed that. Please supply a reference or two. You can't be referring to the stolen University of East Anglia emails, since it was determined that there was no false information found in them.
Old 09-16-2012, 12:01   #117
Kingarthurhk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animal Mother View Post
When was it revealed that the evidence was falsified? I must have missed that. Please supply a reference or two. You can't be referring to the stolen University of East Anglia emails, since it was determined that there was no false information found in them.
Old 09-16-2012, 12:46   #118
Animal Mother
Not Enough Gun

Quote:
I know you prefer posting videos to actually thinking about things, but you've made an error here since I've already wasted my time watching this thing and know that it was wrong when it came out 4 or 5 years ago and is only more wrong in light of the data that's been collected since then. I asked for evidence, not propaganda, misrepresentations, and false information.
Old 09-16-2012, 13:39   #119
ArtificialGrape
CLM Number 265
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
So now you're siding with scientists that are claiming the earth is millions of years old. At least you have moved past that untenable young earth position.

-ArtificialGrape
ArtificialGrape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 14:29   #120
Kingarthurhk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtificialGrape View Post
So now you're siding with scientists that are claiming the earth is millions of years old. At least you have moved past that untenable young earth position.

-ArtificialGrape
No. I am siding with the fact that global warming based on man made CO2 is a myth propogated for political and financial gain. Essentially, abusing science once again to put forward an agenda rather than actually pursuing knowledge. The philosophy of science has been pimped out over the years more than a two dollar whore.