Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-23-2012, 12:43   #61
steveksux
Massive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock36shooter View Post
It isn't perfect. But it's supported by tons more research and brilliant minds than what went into the construction of your book. So no... not really ironic.
Should also point out the tons of brilliant minds looking to expose any flaws in the one theory, as opposed to creating apologist arguments to paper the flaws over in the other....

Randy
steveksux is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 13:21   #62
Glock36shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveksux View Post
Should also point out the tons of brilliant minds looking to expose any flaws in the one theory, as opposed to creating apologist arguments to paper the flaws over in the other....

Randy
I don't think some people really understand how competitive the scientific community is. If there were a rational way to tear down evolution... there are scientists that would LOVE to be the Next Darwin.

Last edited by Glock36shooter; 09-23-2012 at 13:22..
Glock36shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 16:03   #63
steveksux
Massive Member

Quote:
I don't think some people really understand how competitive the scientific community is. If there were a rational way to tear down evolution... there are scientists that would LOVE to be the Next Darwin.
Exactly. Who's one of the heroes of 20th century physics?

The guy that tore down Newtons laws of motion after hundreds of years of being "right". Einstein, with Relativity.

The guys that tear down the existing "dogma" are heroes in science, and heretics in religion.

It's beyond ridiculous to suggest that there's some sort of conspiracy (by scientists who are mostly Christian, at least in the US, by the way) to push evolution or the Big Bang theory in order to remove any need for God, or to debunk religion. Science is entirely restricted to the study of natural physical phenomenon, miracles and supernatural stuff are by definition precisely NOT even a subject for scientific study. If anyone can point to the mathematics of God and how to go about performing experiments to replicate miracles, please step forward and I'll retract the above statement.

Randy

Last edited by steveksux; 09-23-2012 at 16:08..
steveksux is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 16:21   #64
Glock36shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveksux View Post
Exactly. Who's one of the heroes of 20th century physics?

The guy that tore down Newtons laws of motion after hundreds of years of being "right". Einstein, with Relativity.

The guys that tear down the existing "dogma" are heroes in science, and heretics in religion.

It's beyond ridiculous to suggest that there's some sort of conspiracy (by scientists who are mostly Christian, at least in the US, by the way) to push evolution or the Big Bang theory in order to remove any need for God, or to debunk religion. Science is entirely restricted to the study of natural physical phenomenon, miracles and supernatural stuff are by definition precisely NOT even a subject for scientific study. If anyone can point to the mathematics of God and how to go about performing experiments to replicate miracles, please step forward and I'll retract the above statement.

Randy
Exactly. Scientists don't deal with proving or disproving God. What they're learning is that you just simply don't need such a being for these things to happen on their own.
Old 09-23-2012, 17:25   #65
mymini40

Why are we even debating this? All you have to do is read the bible.
mymini40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 17:58   #66
Glock36shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mymini40 View Post
Exactly. Reading the Bible cover to cover is one of the things that destroyed my faith in God. It's the best book to read if you want to become an Atheist or Agnostic. Most believers have read very little of it.

Last edited by Glock36shooter; 09-23-2012 at 17:58..
Old 09-23-2012, 20:12   #67
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

Quote:
Originally Posted by G23Gen4TX View Post
I only need one reason. It sounds like BS. That's it.
That is not a reason, it is a feeling.
Old 09-23-2012, 20:19   #68
Geko45
CLM Number 135
Smartass Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by mymini40 View Post
Quote:
Exactly. Reading the Bible cover to cover is one of the things that destroyed my faith in God. It's the best book to read if you want to become an Atheist or Agnostic. Most believers have read very little of it.
I'll second that. Reading the bible cover to cover in an official academic setting is what permantly debunked it for me. Most christians have never really read the bible, but rather they have "studied" it under the guidance of some teacher or author. Small excerpts are taken here and there and put together to illustrate some moral lesson, but never are people told to read whole books in a contiguous fashion. If they did then they (at least many) would realize how silly it all is.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Geko45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 20:24   #69
Glock36shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geko45 View Post
Most christians have never really read the bible, but rather they have "studied" it under the guidance of some teacher or author.
Often under an apologist focus twisting many of it's meanings in an attempt to force the puzzle pieces to fit.

I love the "You're reading it wrong" or "You're not using the proper context."
Old 09-23-2012, 20:29   #70
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBnTX View Post
When you stand before God, tell him those 10 reasons.

(What I'd give to be a fly on the wall during that conversation.)
If there is a god and I meet him/her on judgement day, I have a few questions.

1. Where did he/she come from?

2. If one religion is the correct religion, why do people who practice that religion have a definite advantage, live longer, not die painful deaths,......

3. Why have all the miracles happen a long long time ago? If god would just show up and do something.....
Old 09-23-2012, 20:54   #71
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzznRose View Post
Why do atheists even give a crap about folks who have Faith?
I would like to believe.....

But I don't because there are too many questions.
Old 09-23-2012, 21:07   #72
Glock36shooter

Aren't you religious folks not keeping the sabbath holy by posting on here today?
Old 09-23-2012, 21:12   #73
nmk

Quote:
The old fear tactic huh? Believe or face his WRATH! LOL. How silly.
It's worked for thousands of years. Why would they stop now?
nmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 21:16   #74
Animal Mother
Not Enough Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWBlue View Post
2. If one religion is the correct religion, why do people who practice that religion have a definite advantage, live longer, not die painful deaths,......
Shouldn't it be why don't people who practice that religion have a definite advantage, etc.
Quote:
3. Why have all the miracles happen a long long time ago? If god would just show up and do something.....
Some claim miracles are happening all the time, just not in any objectively verifiable way. If someone recovers from a potentially terminal disease, that's a miracle. If they die, it's simply the unknowable will of God.
Old 09-23-2012, 21:39   #75
Glock36shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmk View Post
It's worked for thousands of years. Why would they stop now?
It's just sad that people still believe in such childish things.
Old 09-23-2012, 21:41   #76
Glock36shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animal Mother View Post
If they die, it's simply the unknowable will of God.
He also works in mysterious ways too. Oh an I love it when they say God is working THROUGH someone who is suffering. That he's using them for some special purpose. These are adults believing this horrible nonsense. Blows my mind.
Old 09-23-2012, 22:13   #77
brokenprism

It's kind of ironic that her name -- last, or middle -- is 'Christina.'

Actually, there is only one reason she doesn't believe. She wasn't chosen by Him to believe. The rest of it -- her 10 arguments -- are her rationalizations, because she either doesn't know, or understand, the real reason.
brokenprism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 22:15   #78
Glock36shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenprism View Post

Actually, there is only one reason she doesn't believe. She wasn't chosen by Him to believe. The rest of it -- her 10 arguments -- are her rationalizations, because she either doesn't know, or understand, the real reason.
I love your outlook that God creates people just to toss them into Hell. Drives other Christians nuts LOL.
Old 09-23-2012, 22:30   #79
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animal Mother View Post
Shouldn't it be why don't people who practice that religion have a definite advantage, etc.

Some claim miracles are happening all the time, just not in any objectively verifiable way. If someone recovers from a potentially terminal disease, that's a miracle. If they die, it's simply the unknowable will of God.
Thank you for the correction.

Yea, I love it when someone takes the right pills from the doctor and it is a miracle they survive. Just like 90% of those believer and non-believers alike.
Old 09-23-2012, 23:07   #80
Animal Mother
Not Enough Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenprism View Post

So much for the free will argument.