SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-14-2012, 09:00   #21
OhioGlockMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by piperman View Post
Thank you for all of that info. I feel pretty confident in loading those now for range use. How many grains of Unique would you put in for a 180 gr. plated FP? I was thinking 8, but looking at your 155 that may be a bit much even with C.O.L. at 1.260"

Steve
Piperman, I have no experience with unique powder and a 180 gr slug in 10mm, but yes I agree I think 8 grains would be very very high pressure. Personally I have found in the 180 gr weight power pistol to work very well for light to medium to hot, and blue dot around 11 grains for really hot 180 grain loadings, 11 gr blue dot clocks 1385 fps from my 6 inch barrel

Last edited by OhioGlockMan; 09-14-2012 at 09:01..
OhioGlockMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:10   #22
piperman

OhioGlockMan, after I started re-reading everything and looking at other empirical data, I realized that might be pretty hot. I don't have any Blue Dot, that was why I was looking at the Unique, and AA#7. I don't use the 180gr slugs in .40 any more, since I don't like the round, I wanted to use what I had for now, and get some experience loading 10mm loads. I may get some blue dot and work some of that up. I never cared for the Unique in my .45, just seems really dirty. I only have a stock Glock 20 barrel for now. Does anyone make a fully supported barrel for the Glock?

Steve
piperman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:19   #23
OhioGlockMan

piperman,

Unique will work great for what I call light "lady & youth" loads in the 10mm, up to a tad bit more power then the .40, but you will need to use power pistol or blue dot or #9 or 800X for hot loads. Well I bought my lone wolf barrel a couple years ago and its fully supported- some people recently on here have said their new lone wolf barrels are NOT fully supported. I wrote lone wolf company an e-mail and they stated they still are all fully supported. I don't know what to make of that honestly. Whatever aftermarket barrel you get I highly recommend a 6 inch, it will add 100-150 FPS without having to resort to higher pressures and you dont notice it when target shooting. I just put my stock barrel back on in a miniute for CCW

Oh and Ill add I LOVE power pistol, thats the one id recommend for all round use in the 10

Last edited by OhioGlockMan; 09-14-2012 at 09:19..
Old 09-14-2012, 09:26   #24
piperman

OhioGlockMan,

I had read that too, that was why I was concerned. I didn't want to have to go to Bar-Sto if I didn't have to, lots more money but I know they are good.
I was thinking of getting the ported barrel if I went longer, which was also my desire to do. Yes, keep the stock one for CCW for sure. I may just go get some Power Pistol then. I can load hotter with that than Unique, if I so desire, which would be nice. I suppose a 22# spring might be a good idea too?

Steve
Old 09-14-2012, 21:13   #25
blastfact

Quote:
Hi,
has anyone used plated bullets for their 10mm loads? I have some Xpress 180 gr plated, that I had bought for my .40, but never shoot .40 after changing to a .357 Sig barrel.
I have a G20 Gen 3, just got it, and have a ton of 10 mm brass. I am just wondering what everyone uses for range ammo?

Thanks,
Steve
For me range ammo is my SD, HD and hunting ammo. I practice, plink and have fun with my working ammo.

In short no plated bullets will ever visit my barrel.
blastfact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 21:13   #26
OhioGlockMan

Steve,

Yes absolutely use a #22 lb spring, I find my glock cycles just fine with the light unique loads all the way up to the hot loads, and it will keep your brass from flinging too far away. Thats a tough call with the barrel, my suggestion would be to call Lone Wolf directly and get them to get it in writing that it will be fully supported, and make sure they have a return policy. For a little over a hundred bucks the one I got works like a charm, it works so well theres no point in spending double or more for the other brands. Here's a video of me shooting mine with the 6 inch barrel and nuclear blue dot loads..... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6cwMDYpl1A
Old 09-14-2012, 23:14   #27
MinervaDoe

I've put thousands of rounds of plated bullets through my 10mm Glocks. I just make an effort to keep the velocities below 1,200 fps, and they work fine.

I believe that the book "The Glock in Competition" is where I read that a lot of the top Glock competitors practice with a steady diet of palted rounds.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
MinervaDoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 21:23   #28
piperman

Those are pretty stout. I'll be ordering a new spring. I picked up a lb. of PP today, going to load some up. I wish I had some plated for my 26, I only have cast in 9 though. I may have to check out that book.

Steve
Old 09-17-2012, 09:35   #29
bush pilot

I've put thousands of plated 180 gr Extremes through my different 10s using AA7 without any issues. I can't imagine footing the bill if all I shot were jacketed bullets.

Send me your wheel weights, do it for the children.
bush pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:48   #30
OhioGlockMan

Piperman,

Please let us know if you go the route of the Lone Wolf Barrel if they are still fully supported. I am very curious. Also let us know your chrono results!
Old 09-17-2012, 11:15   #31
piperman

I agree, jacketed would be an expensive ammo bill.

I think that I will go with the LW barrel, I was told that they are still fully supported.
I am still debating on getting a ported one or not.

For the price those are pretty good for the money.

No chrono here. I can only go by feel and case.

Steve

Last edited by piperman; 09-17-2012 at 11:22..
Old 09-17-2012, 13:42   #32
MinervaDoe

Quote:
Actually, compare the price delivered of precision Delta jacketed Bullets to plated bullets. I've switched to these over Ranier.

http://www.precisiondelta.com/product.php?indx=5

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by MinervaDoe; 09-17-2012 at 13:42..
MinervaDoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 13:52   #33
piperman

That's a pretty good price, how are they as far as variance? I bought Montana Gold before and in a batch I have found 5 gr +/- from the published weight.

Steve
Old 09-17-2012, 18:17   #34
piperman

I shot the 180 gr plated with 7 gr of Unique with an OAL 1.260". These were not very light but felt pretty good. Very accurate too. I need to get a stiffer recoil spring, also going to try the Power Pistol recipe.
Old 09-17-2012, 19:51   #35
Taterhead
Counting Beans

Quote:

I think that I will go with the LW barrel, I was told that they are still fully supported.
I am still debating on getting a ported one or not.

For the price those are pretty good for the money.

No chrono here. I can only go by feel and case.

Steve
If you are a reloader, I would skip the barrel and use the money for a chronograph. A chronograph is a much more useful investment than an aftermarket barrel. Not trying to talk you out of an aftermarket barrel (although I personally have not needed one), but it would be a much lower priority for a reloader than a chronograph in my opinion.
Taterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 19:57   #36
Taterhead
Counting Beans

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkdweller22 View Post

Berry's markets a "double-struck" plated bullet rated to 1400.

I've used them both and can recommend them with confidence.

ETA: COAL is 1.250, primers are CCI #300 or Federal #150's.
You have had a different experience with Berry's than I have. I have loaded several thousand "Double Struck" Berry's 180s, and groups simply go to pieces when pushed above 1100 fps. I have used a number of different powders too.

The Xtreme bullets sound a bit like PowerBond bullets (i.e. thicker copper). PBs can be pushed, but Berry's just can't seem to hang. At least that has been the case in my G20. They work fine in 40 S&W.
Taterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 20:17   #37
piperman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taterhead View Post
If you are a reloader, I would skip the barrel and use the money for a chronograph. A chronograph is a much more useful investment than an aftermarket barrel. Not trying to talk you out of an aftermarket barrel (although I personally have not needed one), but it would be a much lower priority for a reloader than a chronograph in my opinion.
I have wondered if it would be worth getting one. I didn't know, I know no one that does have one. I wonder if I can use it at my range. The reason that I was going with an aftermarket barrel, is to get one with true rifling, so that I can use my hard cast reloads in my Glocks, but at least that isn't a factor for my 20 so much.

Steve

Last edited by piperman; 09-17-2012 at 20:34..
Old 09-17-2012, 23:23   #38
RDub01

+1 on the chronograph (gotta use one of these little bastards sometime..lol)

A good one will open up a whole new world for you..
RDub01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 07:08   #39
piperman

Ok, do most ranges let you set them up in a bay? Because I know you need to be a bit of a distance from the muzzle.
Old 09-18-2012, 19:40   #40
OhioGlockMan

Piperman, if your talking about an indoor range prob not, I have been to 4 different outdoor ranges around here and they all have no issue letting you use a chronograph. Also be aware that with an indoor range the light will be an issue because you need at least a bright cloudy day, or use an accessory light that would be an extra 75 or so. Fluorescent lights are no good no matter how bright because they actually flicker super fast, its imperceptible to us but throws the chrono off. Do you have an outdoor range u can use? Or perhaps someone with private property that will let you shoot on it?