Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-14-2012, 21:13   #26
OhioGlockMan

Steve,

Yes absolutely use a #22 lb spring, I find my glock cycles just fine with the light unique loads all the way up to the hot loads, and it will keep your brass from flinging too far away. Thats a tough call with the barrel, my suggestion would be to call Lone Wolf directly and get them to get it in writing that it will be fully supported, and make sure they have a return policy. For a little over a hundred bucks the one I got works like a charm, it works so well theres no point in spending double or more for the other brands. Here's a video of me shooting mine with the 6 inch barrel and nuclear blue dot loads..... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6cwMDYpl1A
OhioGlockMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 23:14   #27
MinervaDoe

I've put thousands of rounds of plated bullets through my 10mm Glocks. I just make an effort to keep the velocities below 1,200 fps, and they work fine.

I believe that the book "The Glock in Competition" is where I read that a lot of the top Glock competitors practice with a steady diet of palted rounds.
Old 09-15-2012, 21:23   #28
piperman

Those are pretty stout. I'll be ordering a new spring. I picked up a lb. of PP today, going to load some up. I wish I had some plated for my 26, I only have cast in 9 though. I may have to check out that book.

Steve
piperman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:35   #29
bush pilot

I've put thousands of plated 180 gr Extremes through my different 10s using AA7 without any issues. I can't imagine footing the bill if all I shot were jacketed bullets.

Send me your wheel weights, do it for the children.
bush pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:48   #30
OhioGlockMan

Piperman,

Please let us know if you go the route of the Lone Wolf Barrel if they are still fully supported. I am very curious. Also let us know your chrono results!
Old 09-17-2012, 11:15   #31
piperman

I agree, jacketed would be an expensive ammo bill.

I think that I will go with the LW barrel, I was told that they are still fully supported.
I am still debating on getting a ported one or not.

For the price those are pretty good for the money.

No chrono here. I can only go by feel and case.

Steve

Last edited by piperman; 09-17-2012 at 11:22..
Old 09-17-2012, 13:42   #32
MinervaDoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by piperman View Post
Actually, compare the price delivered of precision Delta jacketed Bullets to plated bullets. I've switched to these over Ranier.

http://www.precisiondelta.com/product.php?indx=5

Last edited by MinervaDoe; 09-17-2012 at 13:42..
MinervaDoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 13:52   #33
piperman

That's a pretty good price, how are they as far as variance? I bought Montana Gold before and in a batch I have found 5 gr +/- from the published weight.

Steve
Old 09-17-2012, 18:17   #34
piperman

I shot the 180 gr plated with 7 gr of Unique with an OAL 1.260". These were not very light but felt pretty good. Very accurate too. I need to get a stiffer recoil spring, also going to try the Power Pistol recipe.
Old 09-17-2012, 19:51   #35
Taterhead
Counting Beans

Quote:

I think that I will go with the LW barrel, I was told that they are still fully supported.
I am still debating on getting a ported one or not.

For the price those are pretty good for the money.

No chrono here. I can only go by feel and case.

Steve
If you are a reloader, I would skip the barrel and use the money for a chronograph. A chronograph is a much more useful investment than an aftermarket barrel. Not trying to talk you out of an aftermarket barrel (although I personally have not needed one), but it would be a much lower priority for a reloader than a chronograph in my opinion.
Taterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 19:57   #36
Taterhead
Counting Beans

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkdweller22 View Post

Berry's markets a "double-struck" plated bullet rated to 1400.

I've used them both and can recommend them with confidence.

ETA: COAL is 1.250, primers are CCI #300 or Federal #150's.
You have had a different experience with Berry's than I have. I have loaded several thousand "Double Struck" Berry's 180s, and groups simply go to pieces when pushed above 1100 fps. I have used a number of different powders too.

The Xtreme bullets sound a bit like PowerBond bullets (i.e. thicker copper). PBs can be pushed, but Berry's just can't seem to hang. At least that has been the case in my G20. They work fine in 40 S&W.
Old 09-17-2012, 20:17   #37
piperman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taterhead View Post
If you are a reloader, I would skip the barrel and use the money for a chronograph. A chronograph is a much more useful investment than an aftermarket barrel. Not trying to talk you out of an aftermarket barrel (although I personally have not needed one), but it would be a much lower priority for a reloader than a chronograph in my opinion.
I have wondered if it would be worth getting one. I didn't know, I know no one that does have one. I wonder if I can use it at my range. The reason that I was going with an aftermarket barrel, is to get one with true rifling, so that I can use my hard cast reloads in my Glocks, but at least that isn't a factor for my 20 so much.

Steve

Last edited by piperman; 09-17-2012 at 20:34..
Old 09-17-2012, 23:23   #38
RDub01

+1 on the chronograph (gotta use one of these little bastards sometime..lol)

A good one will open up a whole new world for you..
RDub01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 07:08   #39
piperman

Ok, do most ranges let you set them up in a bay? Because I know you need to be a bit of a distance from the muzzle.
Old 09-18-2012, 19:40   #40
OhioGlockMan

Piperman, if your talking about an indoor range prob not, I have been to 4 different outdoor ranges around here and they all have no issue letting you use a chronograph. Also be aware that with an indoor range the light will be an issue because you need at least a bright cloudy day, or use an accessory light that would be an extra 75 or so. Fluorescent lights are no good no matter how bright because they actually flicker super fast, its imperceptible to us but throws the chrono off. Do you have an outdoor range u can use? Or perhaps someone with private property that will let you shoot on it?
Old 09-18-2012, 20:31   #41
piperman

I do shoot at an outdoor range. I didn't know how far from the muzzle you need to be.
Just wondering, I would like to do that.
Old 09-18-2012, 20:45   #42
Taterhead
Counting Beans

Quote:
I do shoot at an outdoor range. I didn't know how far from the muzzle you need to be.
Just wondering, I would like to do that.
I back up about 5 yards. Some powders will mess with chrony readings if much closer.

Set a good target behind the chrony so you have something to aim at. You will be less likely to shoot your chrony if you have something to aim at rather than trying to not shoot the chrony (ask me how I know ). Also, this is a good way to check for groups when doing your load workups. Get chrony data, function checks, groups etc. It can be a lot going on at once, but you get a feel for it. Go as slowly as needed.

I have had good results with the Competition Electronics ProChrono. Simple to operate. No frills.

https://www.competitionelectronics.c...mart&Itemid=79
Old 09-18-2012, 20:56   #43
piperman

My range is different, it is setup just like indoor, with lanes. I think I can shoot at the action pistol bay though.
I'll check out that chrono.

Thanks,
Steve
Old 09-19-2012, 11:32   #44
arkdweller22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taterhead View Post
You have had a different experience with Berry's than I have. I have loaded several thousand "Double Struck" Berry's 180s, and groups simply go to pieces when pushed above 1100 fps. I have used a number of different powders too.

The Xtreme bullets sound a bit like PowerBond bullets (i.e. thicker copper). PBs can be pushed, but Berry's just can't seem to hang. At least that has been the case in my G20. They work fine in 40 S&W.
I don't typically push plated loads past 1200 fps, usually I keep them right at 1000 - 1050. I will, however, load up a few rounds with Berry's double struck bullets to 1300 or so to see if my groups open up as well.

It would be good to know if this is a common issue with Berry's bullets.
arkdweller22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 22:35   #45
Taterhead
Counting Beans

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkdweller22 View Post
I don't typically push plated loads past 1200 fps, usually I keep them right at 1000 - 1050. I will, however, load up a few rounds with Berry's double struck bullets to 1300 or so to see if my groups open up as well.

It would be good to know if this is a common issue with Berry's bullets.
I am curious about how this works for you.

Check carefully for pressure symptoms. They have a higher operating pressure typically than an FMJ. Max for a Berry's is mid-range book data for FMJs. Also, look for leading in the barrel. At higher pressures and velocities, gasses can breach the copper and lead the barrel. Berry's at high velocities have been bad juju in my testing.
Old 09-22-2012, 06:09   #46
glockout

Be careful

Have to agree with Tater and others who talked about using a chrony. I only work up a load with one. You can't tell by feel. Also get a loading manual or three and check your loads there. Relying only what is typed in a forum is rather foolish, always collect your own data through your own gun with a book load. Don't venture above those loads without some instrumentation.

Not trying to dis any specific person here but typos do occur and you never know who is an internet commando who will repeat anything without personally testing it.

Just a quote from the Lyman #49 manual: "Maximum charges are never to be exceeded. THEY ARE NOT DELIBERATELY HELD TO CONSERVATIVE LEVELS. They are the exact charge that produces the maximum pressure allowed or otherwise proved to be the maximum pressure we could list. Never use the maximum charge without carefully working up to it from the Suggested Starting Grains. It is quite possible that the maximum load may not be safe in your firearm....."
glockout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 09:39   #47
OhioGlockMan

I can't imagine life without a chrony, otherwise you will have no idea whats going on! I have found two things to be true- most factory ammo does not live up to advertized velocity claims, a lot of times no where near, and this goes across many many different pistol and rifle rounds ive tested as well as .22 lr. Second a lot of times a particular load will have an impressive kick and fireball etc, even flatten primers a lot but you run it over the chrony and wonder where all the power went.
Old 09-22-2012, 19:49   #48
MinervaDoe

Quote:
That's a pretty good price, how are they as far as variance? I bought Montana Gold before and in a batch I have found 5 gr +/- from the published weight.

Steve
Precision delta? I weighed a dozen 165 grain rounds and the weight ran from 165.0 to 165.5

Ranier ... plated ?... I weighed six 155 grain rounds and they ran from 154.5 to 155.8.

Both bullets are very accurate in my G20 and G29.
Old 09-24-2012, 08:19   #49
piperman

Those rounds sound like they would be very good, and they are pretty consistent. I couldn't believe how much variation I had in the Montana Gold JFP and JHP in 125 gr.
So far these X-treme 180 gr are working well with 7 gr of Unique, pretty good target load, not as accurate as I would expect, maybe going to the Power Pistol and working up a good load might yield better results.

Steve
Old 09-26-2012, 16:27   #50
gator378
Gator378

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickE10mm View Post
Plated bullets are excellent range ammo ... keep the velocities down and they work well. Not as cheap as pure cast but way cheaper than FMJ. I reload, so I used a lot of cast and plated low-level stuff in addition to my full power handloads.
+ 1 I use 200 grain Rainers and Berrys with 13.0 grains of AA #9. Never had a problem, accurate. Just have to be a little careful not to deform the nose when seating since they are softer than jacketed, but not a big problem.