Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-09-2012, 11:25   #1
MachineHead155

Colt LE6920 Question

Well I just recently acquired a Colt 6920 that I haven't had the chance to shoot yet.

Just today, I was messing around with the action and something unexpected happened when I had the bolt locked open. When I pulled on the charging handle, I only had to pull about a quarter of the way back and the bolt was automatically released. Now correct me if I'm wrong, I thought that wasn't supposed to happen until you pulled the charging handle all the way back. This isn't my first AR and that's never happened before.
MachineHead155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 12:11   #2
WoodenPlank
Who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MachineHead155 View Post
Well I just recently acquired a Colt 6920 that I haven't had the chance to shoot yet.

Just today, I was messing around with the action and something unexpected happened when I had the bolt locked open. When I pulled on the charging handle, I only had to pull about a quarter of the way back and the bolt was automatically released. Now correct me if I'm wrong, I thought that wasn't supposed to happen until you pulled the charging handle all the way back. This isn't my first AR and that's never happened before.

Are you sure you didn't bump the bolt release in the process? If you locked it back by hand, the bolt may not have been caught on the lock tab correctly, and it released due to you moving the rifle. I've seen that happen when the catch snagged on the bolt carrier face, and not the bolt face.
Old 09-09-2012, 12:20   #3
MachineHead155

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodenPlank View Post
Are you sure you didn't bump the bolt release in the process? If you locked it back by hand, the bolt may not have been caught on the lock tab correctly, and it released due to you moving the rifle. I've seen that happen when the catch snagged on the bolt carrier face, and not the bolt face.
I'm pretty sure I wasn't anywhere near the bolt release, but I'm not 100% on that.

Whatever it was, I can't duplicate it.
Old 09-09-2012, 13:08   #4
WoodenPlank
Who?

Quote:
I'm pretty sure I wasn't anywhere near the bolt release, but I'm not 100% on that.

Whatever it was, I can't duplicate it.
See if you can intentionally get the bolt catch to snag on the front of the bolt carrier itself (ie: between bolt and carrier). If it stays there for a moment, give the whole thing a quick shake, and it'll probably let the bolt slam home. That's probably what happened to you earlier.
Old 09-09-2012, 13:41   #5
Breadman03

Send a message via Skype™ to Breadman03
It is also possible the bolt stop was barely engaged. Ask my middle fingernail how I know

I was inspecting the chamber for cleanliness when the bolt went home on my finger. I know nothing manipulated the charging handle or bolt release.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Wants a G41
Breadman03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 13:46   #6
Trey83

Quote:
Originally Posted by breadman03 View Post
it is also possible the bolt stop was barely engaged. Ask my middle fingernail how i know

i was inspecting the chamber for cleanliness when the bolt went home on my finger. I know nothing manipulated the charging handle or bolt release.
ouch!
Old 09-09-2012, 15:19   #7
MachineHead155

Thanks for the responses guys. Whatever happened, it must've been user error because no matter how much I try, I can't get it to do it again.

But if anyone else has any ideas on what it could've been, by all means share. But I think WoodenPlank may have hit the nail on the head.

Last edited by MachineHead155; 09-09-2012 at 15:21..
Old 09-11-2012, 18:59   #8
Calvin9x19

Was there a magazine in the gun or not?
Calvin9x19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 19:26   #9
MachineHead155

Magazine was removed.

I do have to ask before I let this thread die, is it even possible for this to happen if the bolt catch is fully engaged?
Old 09-11-2012, 19:27   #10
WoodenPlank
Who?

Quote:
Magazine was removed.

I do have to ask before I let this thread die, is it even possible for this to happen if the bolt catch is fully engaged?
Assuming all parts are in spec and no operator error involved, it shouldn't be.
Old 09-11-2012, 19:31   #11
MachineHead155

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodenPlank View Post
Assuming all parts are in spec and no operator error involved, it shouldn't be.
I'll be taking it out for the first time either this week or next and I plan on putting around 250 to 300 rounds through it. If I go through that whole shooting session with no problems, can I go ahead and assume all is well?
Old 09-11-2012, 20:44   #12
WoodenPlank
Who?

Quote:
I'll be taking it out for the first time either this week or next and I plan on putting around 250 to 300 rounds through it. If I go through that whole shooting session with no problems, can I go ahead and assume all is well?
It depends on what kind of problem you might face. Plenty of AR issues are magazine related, and have little to nothing to do with the rifle itself.

For me, I feel I can trust a rifle after I have run a minimum of 300 rounds through it, including different types of ammo, and whatever I plan to feed it as a HD/SD load.
Old 09-12-2012, 17:14   #13
Calvin9x19

It sounds like it was the bolt catch
Calvin9x19 is offline   Reply With Quote