Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-16-2012, 04:03   #1
bdcochran

Bug out preparation/transportation

I saw something interesting that I would pass along.

There is a homeless guy who comes to the YMCA every day. This isn't unusual. We have many members who come in at 6 am, shower, and go out for the day (Of course this observation would come as a shock to many members of this board).

This guy carries his world possessions with him. It isn't just the robust 3 day pack that you read repetitive threads upon. He has a medium sized, two wheeled dolly. He took a large duffel bag and tied it onto the dolly with leather straps.

He can chain up his possessions at any time.

This is a lot cheaper than your Ford F150, your $1000 mountain bike, or your screaming eagle three day pack. It is also more secure, compact and useful than the stolen shopping carts you see the homeless using on smooth pavement only.
bdcochran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 04:20   #2
TangoFoxtrot
OIF 04-05

I bet that guy has more heart than alot of others out there too.
TangoFoxtrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 09:49   #3
mac66
Plant the seed

I often thought that the best survival school would be to live on the streets for a couple months. Too bad some former business man who is now a homeless and hopeless substance abuser, doesn't sober up long enough to realize he could make money by teaching this stuff.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
mac66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 13:01   #4
cowboy1964

Chain it up? One knife and you slice open the duffel and get to whatever you want.
cowboy1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 07:52   #5
lawman800
Juris Glocktor

But then you can also sleep on it and strap yourself in so it's hard to steal while you sleep.
lawman800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 15:48   #6
Powermwt

Survival/Preparedness Forum

I have something like that but mine can convert into a four wheel configuration.

It is a must for those of us that can walk but not very well.

It is listed for $85 at Home Depot but I got mine for less than that a half dozen years ago.

http://www.homedepot.com/Storage-Org...&storeId=10051
Powermwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 17:11   #7
beatcop

The homeless I'm used to seeing are crackheads, drunks, and mentally ill. I'm sure they have a skill or two, but they generally rely on soup kitchens, homeless shelters & begging.
beatcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 05:45   #8
pugman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdcochran View Post
I saw something interesting that I would pass along.

There is a homeless guy who comes to the YMCA every day. This isn't unusual. We have many members who come in at 6 am, shower, and go out for the day (Of course this observation would come as a shock to many members of this board).

This guy carries his world possessions with him. It isn't just the robust 3 day pack that you read repetitive threads upon. He has a medium sized, two wheeled dolly. He took a large duffel bag and tied it onto the dolly with leather straps.

He can chain up his possessions at any time.

This is a lot cheaper than your Ford F150, your $1000 mountain bike, or your screaming eagle three day pack. It is also more secure, compact and useful than the stolen shopping carts you see the homeless using on smooth pavement only.
When I started reading this I was going to say this guy has it right – Bug out transportation starts with your feet. Friends of mine have all sorts of ways to get to where they want but if they break down or fail for some reason they are in a serious world of hurt – sure they have some nice places up north, but at 300#+ if they had to walk there they wouldn’t make it. The worse thing is the entire family is in this sort of shape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac66 View Post
I often thought that the best survival school would be to live on the streets for a couple months. Too bad some former business man who is now a homeless and hopeless substance abuser, doesn't sober up long enough to realize he could make money by teaching this stuff.
I don’t know of any – but live on the street for several months or even a year and write a book – make all your money in one shot. This business idea is awesome the problem is time. People won't take 2-3 months off to live like a bum. Even with death and injury waivers signed can you imagine the liability insurance?
Old 09-18-2012, 08:08   #9
kirgi08
Silver Membership
Watcher.

tagged.

If you look like food,You will be eaten.

Rip Chad.You will be missed.
kirgi08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:57   #10
Ruble Noon
"Cracker"

If you're planning on you SHTF experience taking place on flat paved surfaces and you can walk at your own leisurely pace, a dolly might suffice. However, if your SHTF experience takes you off road and into the wilds with uneven or sloping terrain you will be wanting something a lot more stable than a dolly. The tires are too small for off road use, they tip too easily when on a slope and they bounce and torque your arms if you try pulling them at more than a walk.
Ruble Noon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:09   #11
kirgi08
Silver Membership
Watcher.

If you look like food,You will be eaten.

Rip Chad.You will be missed.
kirgi08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:27   #12
Ruble Noon
"Cracker"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirgi08 View Post
Old 09-18-2012, 11:43   #13
Kieller

If I were hauling any decent amount of gear with a dolly I would definitely want bigger tires than what you typically see on standard dollies.

This does bring up a good point though, most people will hardly be in shape to get themselves somewhere if they are bugging out on foot. Add on a dolly/bag/cart/whatever and their chances will be slim to none. Even for someone who is in shape pulling a cart/dolly cross country would be difficult. It's a lot more work than people think.
Old 09-18-2012, 12:37   #14
Ruble Noon
"Cracker"

For someone wanting to transport a duffel bag on a cart I think something like a golf bag cart would be more stable and of better use than a dolly.

Old 09-18-2012, 13:18   #15
PaulMason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruble Noon View Post
For someone wanting to transport a duffel bag on a cart I think something like a golf bag cart would be more stable and of better use than a dolly.

Wear some tangerine pants and a plaid shirt and no one would bother you.
PaulMason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 13:24   #16
PaulMason

[images=] Survival/Preparedness Forum [/images]

http://www.combatreform.org/mortars.htm

http://cheesycam.com/collapsible-alu...-filled-tires/

Last edited by PaulMason; 09-18-2012 at 13:26..
PaulMason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 13:55   #17
mac66
Plant the seed

I suspect this thread will soon turn to bicycles as a way to carry stuff. Oh wait...

Point is, if you are going haul stuff around on two wheels, the best way is to have something with two wheels you can ride.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by mac66; 09-18-2012 at 14:06..
mac66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 16:13   #18
Ruble Noon
"Cracker"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac66 View Post
I suspect this thread will soon turn to bicycles as a way to carry stuff. Oh wait...

Point is, if you are going haul stuff around on two wheels, the best way is to have something with two wheels you can ride.
If I am going to ride something I would rather have a horse as my main mode of conveyance.
Old 09-18-2012, 17:05   #19
bdcochran

simple observation

1. I was simply observing a person's handling of his situation.

2. Every "solution" can be changed by changing the parameters of the problem.

Example. You want to get out of town and go 50 miles with 200 pounds of gear. So, you take your ultralight and simply fly above the problem. Of course, you aren't living in a condo in Manhattan on the 20th floor and expect that you are going to have an underground parking space that you park your ultralight within.

Everyone has problems. This guy took care of his. One of your goals should be to make observations of what people do now on an ersatz basis so that you have more options when shtf in your world.
bdcochran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 20:26   #20
lawman800
Juris Glocktor

lawman800 is offline   Reply With Quote