Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-06-2012, 18:56   #1
Infallible

Tell me about Colt Special Combat Govt

I am once again in the market for a nice 1911 after having owned several of them over the years. Of recent Colt's Special Combat Government has caught my eye and I have read a little about them.

Looking at several semi-custom 1911s from Kimber (Super Carry Custom HD) Springfield (TRP) and S&W PC, I see Colt's gun is rather competitively priced with those others. What are your feelings on this gun? I have to admit I am a bit partial towards Colt but have owned Sig Kimber Springfield as well in the past. Thank you in advance.
Old 09-06-2012, 19:31   #2
glock_19guy1983

For that kind of money I would rather have a Dan Wesson Valor.
"Our situation illustrates the American idea that governments rest on the consent of the governed, and that it is the right of the people to alter or abolish them whenever they become destructive of the ends for which they were established."
glock_19guy1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 19:38   #3
bac1023

Its certainly a beautiful 1911 and its Colt's top of the line model.

1911 Forums

1911 Forums

However, for the price they go for these days, you can get an entry level Les Baer and have a real semi-custom. The Colt and those others you mentioned are strictly production guns, not semi-custom.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 18:36   #4
Infallible

Bac as always your input is appreciated. So under your experience is the Colt not as nicely fitted or finished as the Les Baer? I've considered a premier before but the biggest thing that bothers me about the Les Baer's is that for the money spent it comes in a cardboard box..... just kidding, its actually the front slide serrations, I can't stand them on any 1911.
Old 09-07-2012, 18:39   #5
brianfede

Quote:
Originally Posted by glock_19guy1983 View Post
For that kind of money I would rather have a Dan Wesson Valor.
I agree, the Valor with the black duty finish!!!! Close second Les Baer Thunder Ranch.
Old 09-07-2012, 19:14   #6
bac1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infallible View Post
Bac as always your input is appreciated. So under your experience is the Colt not as nicely fitted or finished as the Les Baer? I've considered a premier before but the biggest thing that bothers me about the Les Baer's is that for the money spent it comes in a cardboard box..... just kidding, its actually the front slide serrations, I can't stand them on any 1911.
Colt is not even in the same ball park as Les Baer from a parts quality and fitting standpoint.

You can order a Baer without FCS.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Old 09-07-2012, 19:29   #7
bac1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianfede View Post
I agree, the Valor with the black duty finish!!!! Close second Les Baer Thunder Ranch.
I'd take the Baer over the Dan Wesson.

Old 09-07-2012, 21:13   #8
brianfede

Quote:
Originally Posted by bac1023 View Post
I'd take the Baer over the Dan Wesson.
What is it about the Baer that you prefer it over the Wesson? I don't claim to have anywhere the expertise as you on the 1911 platform. i honestly shoot the Baer and Wesson abt the same but prefer the aesthetics of the Valor over the Baer.

Last edited by brianfede; 09-07-2012 at 21:14..
brianfede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 21:46   #9
bac1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianfede View Post
What is it about the Baer that you prefer it over the Wesson? I don't claim to have anywhere the expertise as you on the 1911 platform. i honestly shoot the Baer and Wesson abt the same but prefer the aesthetics of the Valor over the Baer.
I just prefer Baers. The SRP is my favorite.

I think its a better quality gun. Up until a couple years ago, DW wasn't even in the same league as Les Baer. Unlike many others, I really don't care for DW's attempt to move up market.

I liked them when they were $900-$1200 1911s. Granted, they upgraded their parts a bit, but I still don't feel the value is anywhere near as good as Baer.

Last edited by bac1023; 09-07-2012 at 21:50..
Old 09-08-2012, 07:10   #10
brianfede

Quote:
Originally Posted by bac1023 View Post
I just prefer Baers. The SRP is my favorite.

I think its a better quality gun. Up until a couple years ago, DW wasn't even in the same league as Les Baer. Unlike many others, I really don't care for DW's attempt to move up market.

I liked them when they were $900-$1200 1911s. Granted, they upgraded their parts a bit, but I still don't feel the value is anywhere near as good as Baer.

Thanks for the reply, much appreciated.
Old 09-08-2012, 14:26   #11
rock185

Infallible, I admit I'm a bit partial to Colts too. I had one of the Colt SCGs a few years ago. Mine was the two tone .38 Super version. I had also examined some of the hard chrome and .45 cal. versions before buying mine. I liked the sights, finish, NO FCS, overall looks, and the fact that it was a Colt. What I did not care for was the fact that it had the regular Colt production tolerances in fit of barrel/slide/frame, loose/drop-in barrel bushing, regular production trigger quality,etc. I know I'd have been impressed with the SCG, if I hadn't already owned Baer, Rock River,Wilson, a Heinie, etc. I decided to try one since I'd read reviews on the internet about how well fitted and finished they were, and what wonderful accuracy they displayed, etc. Mine was 100% reliable and good looking, but was absolutely nothing special in fit or accuracy. Compared with the Baers, etc. I've owned, the SCG seemed to be just assembled to production tolerences, rather than actually fitted like the Baers and others. People still rave about the SCGs, and pay high prices for them, so perhaps they are actually fitted now like some of the other guns in that price range, I don't know since I've not handled a current production SCG...ymmv

Ps, since my SCG, I've acquired a couple of Dan Wessons. If my SCG had been fitted near as well as the DWs, I don't think I would have ever sold it.
rock185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 15:16   #12
John Eastwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock185 View Post
Infallible, I admit I'm a bit partial to Colts too. I had one of the Colt SCGs a few years ago. Mine was the two tone .38 Super version. I had also examined some of the hard chrome and .45 cal. versions before buying mine. I liked the sights, finish, NO FCS, overall looks, and the fact that it was a Colt. What I did not care for was the fact that it had the regular Colt production tolerances in fit of barrel/slide/frame, loose/drop-in barrel bushing, regular production trigger quality,etc. I know I'd have been impressed with the SCG, if I hadn't already owned Baer, Rock River,Wilson, a Heinie, etc. I decided to try one since I'd read reviews on the internet about how well fitted and finished they were, and what wonderful accuracy they displayed, etc. Mine was 100% reliable and good looking, but was absolutely nothing special in fit or accuracy. Compared with the Baers, etc. I've owned, the SCG seemed to be just assembled to production tolerences, rather than actually fitted like the Baers and others. People still rave about the SCGs, and pay high prices for them, so perhaps they are actually fitted now like some of the other guns in that price range, I don't know since I've not handled a current production SCG...ymmv

Ps, since my SCG, I've acquired a couple of Dan Wessons. If my SCG had been fitted near as well as the DWs, I don't think I would have ever sold it.
So essentially, there is nothing special about the SCG at all?
John Eastwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 04:14   #13
rock185

John, Some are probably gathering the pitchforks and lighting their torches right now due to for my previous comments about the SCGs. But, I will keep my head down and try to answer your question. The SCGs do have great sights and other features 1911 shooters want, are great looking guns, are of very good quality and do say COLT on them. The advertising does, or did, say something about the gun being completely accurized. I can only say that the ones I examined, and the one I purchased several years ago, displayed no evidence of any precision fitting or "accurizing" that I could detect. I have owned Les Baers and Dan Wessons, for instance, and evidence of precise fitting of components is not difficult to detect for anyone familiar with 1911 type pistols. As I mentioned in the earlier post, perhaps the SCGs are precisely fitted now, rather than, seemingly, just being assembled to production tolerences. I don't know, as I've not handled one in some time...ymmv
rock185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 12:32   #14
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eastwood View Post
So essentially, there is nothing special about the SCG at all?
If you're a Colt fan who insists on having a Colt with all sort of gadgets on it, then the SCG is the cat's meow. If you're not a Colt fan, then for the price you can do better. Or if you're a Colt fan (like myself) who doesn't give a rat's ass about gadgets, then the SCG is also nothing special either.
Old 09-11-2012, 16:24   #15
Infallible

Ok Les Baer it will be then. Now the three I have looked at are the UTC, Premier II, and Carry custom. I see litte difference other than sights or trigger style, is this correct? Thanks again for the excellent information guys.
Old 09-11-2012, 16:38   #16
bac1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infallible View Post
Ok Les Baer it will be then. Now the three I have looked at are the UTC, Premier II, and Carry custom. I see litte difference other than sights or trigger style, is this correct? Thanks again for the excellent information guys.
Not much difference, really

All are very solid 1911s.