Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-05-2012, 18:32   #1
dukeguy

Took My Wife Gun Shopping

Went gun shopping with my wife tonight. She's brand new to the shooting thing, plus she has some arthritis in both hands, so we were looking for something in a .22. I figured that would be soft shooting enough for her hands and not quite as scary as a bigger caliber.

We narrowed it down to the Ruger SR 22 and the M&P 22. I thought for sure she would go for the Ruger because of it's smaller size. (She has small hands too.) But to my surprise she like the M&P best.

So I made her the proud owner of her very first pistol.

So how did you get your wife into shooting and to the point where she enjoys it?
Old 09-05-2012, 19:31   #2
Bravo1resq

Duke,
Congrats to the both of you on the purchase of a new and first pistol. I'm in the middle of breaking my wife into shooting. I am a federal LEO so I am armed every day plus I have various other guns in the house. I began by increasing her comfort level of just having guns in the same environment as her and that was by showing her how to make every gun in the house safe. From there she expressed an interest in learning how to shoot so we went from how to make a gun safe to making the gun ready to fire. I feel a need to put a safety note here and that is, we did this with dummy rounds. Our first two trips to the range she didn't want to shoot, she just wanted to get use to the noise and percussions put off by the different guns. Then to my surprise she asked on our third day on the range if she could shoot. She asked to shoot my sig 228 so I handed her a mag and told her to load and make ready. She cranked out five rounds, four of which hit the target backer, the fifth she anticipated the shot and it went low. Then she asked to shoot my G22 of which she only shot three rounds from.
Here are some things I've been doing. I'm showing her the basics but not changing her into a tactical gun fighter. I'm happy if she squeezes the trigger and she is happy hitting the target backer. I'm making sure to stay on her pace and not push her outside of her comfort zone. I've been researching women specific shooting courses that I think she will really enjoy. I have also found some neat videos of female shooters on youtube.com which when I'm watching them, she is looking over my shoulder and discusses the tactics she sees the shooters using with me. I'm being patient with it.

Hope some of this helps. I will be following along to see other peoples way of doing this.

B1R
FLETC Firearms Instructor
Krav Instructor
Bravo1resq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 20:36   #3
dukeguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo1resq View Post
Duke,
Congrats to the both of you on the purchase of a new and first pistol. I'm in the middle of breaking my wife into shooting. I am a federal LEO so I am armed every day plus I have various other guns in the house. I began by increasing her comfort level of just having guns in the same environment as her and that was by showing her how to make every gun in the house safe. From there she expressed an interest in learning how to shoot so we went from how to make a gun safe to making the gun ready to fire. I feel a need to put a safety note here and that is, we did this with dummy rounds. Our first two trips to the range she didn't want to shoot, she just wanted to get use to the noise and percussions put off by the different guns. Then to my surprise she asked on our third day on the range if she could shoot. She asked to shoot my sig 228 so I handed her a mag and told her to load and make ready. She cranked out five rounds, four of which hit the target backer, the fifth she anticipated the shot and it went low. Then she asked to shoot my G22 of which she only shot three rounds from.
Here are some things I've been doing. I'm showing her the basics but not changing her into a tactical gun fighter. I'm happy if she squeezes the trigger and she is happy hitting the target backer. I'm making sure to stay on her pace and not push her outside of her comfort zone. I've been researching women specific shooting courses that I think she will really enjoy. I have also found some neat videos of female shooters on youtube.com which when I'm watching them, she is looking over my shoulder and discusses the tactics she sees the shooters using with me. I'm being patient with it.

Hope some of this helps. I will be following along to see other peoples way of doing this.

B1R
Bravo,

Thanks for the thoughts. Pacing is good way to put it. I've been trying to do the same. Just taking my time and familiarizing her with things.
Old 09-07-2012, 10:10   #4
SGT278ACR
Retired Veteran

You guys have got some good wives there. I'm still trying to get my wife to go to the range with me. I wouldn't start her out with my Glocks, but have 2 nice .22's to break her in with, then once she reaches her comfort zone with them, I'd break her in on the G26, then eventually the G22.
SGT278ACR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 00:48   #5
NailShooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGT278ACR View Post
..... I wouldn't start her out with my Glocks, but have 2 nice .22's to break her in with, then once she reaches her comfort zone with them, I'd break her in on the G26, then eventually the G22.

This is the wisest approach. Always start a new shooter out with a 22 if possible.

Nail
NailShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 17:33   #6
dukeguy

We took the new M&P 22 out to the range and put it through the paces. Good news is my wife actually LIKES it! Within a few minutes of shooting it she was loading her own mags (never did that before!) and was actually having fun.

Just goes to show you that having a good gun for beginners is the way to go. And like you said Nail, start 'em off with a 22.
Old 09-09-2012, 17:37   #7
ithaca_deerslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukeguy View Post
So how did you get your wife into shooting and to the point where she enjoys it?
Not sure. But she's an NRA pistol instructor now

I think she likes the social aspect of a gun club and shooting with others. Having women shooters in a club is probaly a must.
ithaca_deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 18:41   #8
Njanear
Nagant-ophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGT278ACR View Post
You guys have got some good wives there. I'm still trying to get my wife to go to the range with me. I wouldn't start her out with my Glocks, but have 2 nice .22's to break her in with, then once she reaches her comfort zone with them, I'd break her in on the G26, then eventually the G22.
I'm still trying to get mine to go shooting too. Unfortunately, it is going to take a little bit more work before I can get her there - I have known her for almost 24 years (been married 22 of those) and she hasn't wanted to go yet. I can't even get her to shoot airsoft or BBs in the backyard.

I have even offered to let her shoot me with the paintball gun, just to make it more fun (I thought for sure that she would take me up on that offer ).
GlockTalk Clubs- #10 Georgia Glocker; #3745 Bull Dawgs; #600: 10 Ring, .40S&W, Sub Club, Long Slide, Niners, Wheelhouse, MilSurp, Rimfire, 1911, Black Rifle
Njanear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 11:18   #9
bac1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukeguy View Post
Went gun shopping with my wife tonight. She's brand new to the shooting thing, plus she has some arthritis in both hands, so we were looking for something in a .22. I figured that would be soft shooting enough for her hands and not quite as scary as a bigger caliber.

We narrowed it down to the Ruger SR 22 and the M&P 22. I thought for sure she would go for the Ruger because of it's smaller size. (She has small hands too.) But to my surprise she like the M&P best.

So I made her the proud owner of her very first pistol.

Very cool

Congrats

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 11:39   #10
janice6
Platinum Membership
NRA

When the CCW passed in MN, I offered to finance my DIL's self defense gun and training (she needed protection).

My wife decided that if it were important to my daughter then she would go to training with her. they took an "introduction to handguns" course at the range and later, the the CCW course.

She told me she shot .22's 9mm, .40, .45 and .357 Sig on their intro course. I was very surprised and asked how she liked the .45. she said none were a problem but she liked the smaller calibers best, the guns were lighter and smaller. (she is 5'2" and in her 70's)

Then she watched the other children getting together and shooting .22's for family fun. She decided she wanted to be included in the fun.

Being a part of your family and/or friends fun, is a great motivator. I told her I would buy any gun or guns she wanted and she picked two (and she shoots them), a .32 cal Beretta Inox Tomcat and a S & W 642. Yes, she's old and small and shoots the airweight.

She does like the Tomcat because it has a tip-up barrel and makes it simpler for her to load and unload without working the slide. (and I spent some more money to "pimp" it up for her)

Family and peer pressure got her into guns.

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". Anonymous

Earp: Not everyone who knows you hates you.
DOC: I know it ain't always easy bein' my friend....but I'll BE THERE when you need me.
janice6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 18:21   #11
dukeguy

Quote:
I told her I would buy any gun or guns she wanted and she picked two (and she shoots them), a .32 cal Beretta Inox Tomcat and a S & W 642. Yes, she's old and small and shoots the airweight.
My wife couldn't pull the trigger on my 442. As far as that's concerned, I don't even like shooting the 442 that much!