Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-30-2012, 21:21   #1
ztc

Looking for a good load for 180 xtp

Looking for a full power load to deer hunt with. Im using a G20sf with a stock barrel and 22lb recoil spring and ss guide rod. Because i already have some im gonna use 180gr XTPs, new Starline brass and cci300 primers. Also i have some AA#9, Long Shot and 800-X. Whats a good load to work up to?
Kinda looking for a warm load.
ztc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 09:03   #2
SDGlock23
Glockoholic

9.5gr Longhsot gets me high 12's with a 180gr. It meters well as does AA9. Some prefer AA9, but I've not as familiar with it as I am Longshot, and it seems AA powders come up a little short of claimed velocity...but maybe it's just my particular lot of powder.

800-x doesn't meter for anything, but it can give good velocities. But be warned, 800-x sometimes get erratic in terms of velocity consistency, with extreme spreads of well over 100fps in some cases.

Last edited by SDGlock23; 08-31-2012 at 09:05..
SDGlock23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 13:00   #3
OregonG20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ztc View Post
Looking for a full power load to deer hunt with. Im using a G20sf with a stock barrel and 22lb recoil spring and ss guide rod. Because i already have some im gonna use 180gr XTPs, new Starline brass and cci300 primers. Also i have some AA#9, Long Shot and 800-X. Whats a good load to work up to?
Kinda looking for a warm load.
As with all reloading recipes you find on the internet, start 10 percent lower and work your way up in .2gr increments.

14gr AA#9
CCI 300
180gr XTP
1.26" COAL
1250 fps or so.

9.5gr Power Pistol
CCI 300
180gr XTP
1.26" COAL
1280 fps or so

11gr Blue Dot
CCI 300
180gr XTP
1.26" COAL
1250 fps or so

9.6 Longshot
CCI 300
180gr XTP
1.26" COAL
1280 fps or so

I use the AA#9 load the most because it seems to me to have the lowest operating pressure. It is over Accurate Arms book max, but it is under Hornady's. AA's max is 13.5gr's, but it operates at 34,100 psi, which (hopefully) leaves a little bit of room to bump it up over there book max, which is what I do. Also, out of my bone stock G20, I have shot rested 5 shot groups about the size of a quarter.

-Berto
OregonG20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 05:19   #4
ztc

Thanks guys. I've loaded up to 14.2g with AA#9 and 180xtp with no significant pressure signs but was just seeing if anyone had got alittle more out of anything.

Im thanking i might try some longshot
Old 09-01-2012, 12:46   #5
Taterhead
Counting Beans

Quote:
Thanks guys. I've loaded up to 14.2g with AA#9 and 180xtp with no significant pressure signs but was just seeing if anyone had got alittle more out of anything.

Im thanking i might try some longshot
That should be a pretty nice load. In my G20, it would run about 1230 fps depending upon temps. That one groups very well too in my gun. At that load you are splitting the difference between Accurate's and Hornady's max charges.

A Hodgdon max charge (which is WAY higher than Hornady's) of Longshot gets about 1190 fps in my G20. I am happier with the A9 results personally.
Taterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 15:58   #6
ztc

Im satisfied with it at the moment but just wondering if i could get alittle more with different powder without changing the barrel.

OregonG20 have you shot the 9.6g longshot load you listed above out of a glock 20 with a stock barrel?
Old 09-01-2012, 20:53   #7
Taterhead
Counting Beans

Quote:
Im satisfied with it at the moment but just wondering if i could get alittle more with different powder without changing the barrel.

OregonG20 have you shot the 9.6g longshot load you listed above out of a glock 20 with a stock barrel?
You did not address the question to me, but I shot 9.5 grains from my stock G20. 1190 fps. CCI 300 primer.
Old 09-01-2012, 22:09   #8
ztc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taterhead View Post
You did not address the question to me, but I shot 9.5 grains from my stock G20. 1190 fps. CCI 300 primer.
Dang id expect a good bit more velocity out of that load. Hodgens is calling for 1221fps with 8.5g of longshot.
Old 09-01-2012, 23:15   #9
dm1906
Retired SO

Quote:
Dang id expect a good bit more velocity out of that load. Hodgens is calling for 1221fps with 8.5g of longshot.
1190 and 1221 FPS are essentially the same, even with a full 1 grain powder charge difference. Atmospheric/climatic conditions alone can affect velocity a lot more than that with the same load recipe, not to mention test barrel length/type/spec, bullet seating depth, bullet brand, brass brand/condition/prep, bullet crimp, chronograph variation, etc, etc.... A 3% velocity variation between commercially published and field tested is very little, all things considered, including a 1 grain charge difference. Hodgdon doesn't test with OEM Glock barrels. They are typically (significantly) longer, and of a different type altogether, including the chamber dimensions. They are putting their best foot forward ($$), nothing more.

For example, Hodgden's 2002 table shows a 180 gr. bullet with a suggested charge of 9.5 gr. LS. In 2002, this recipe with a Sierra JHC tested 1287 FPS in a 5" (unspecified) barrel. This is not an XTP, and not an OEM Glock barrel or pistol. You CANNOT rely on load tables as absolutes, regardless of their origin. They are basic test results, under very specific conditions, and have very little correlation to YOUR actual field experience. They are helpful with getting you started with developing a load, but little more. Commercially published handload recipes rarely live up to their claims (in our practical experience), plain and simple. If a handloader can't accept this as a basic fundamental handloading rule, they should quit before they injure (or worse) themselves and/or others.
Old 09-02-2012, 08:33   #10
Kegs
Ol 8 fingers ;)

If the load doesn't contain the word "longshot" in it for a 10mm 180gr. bullet, I wouldn't take the advice personally.

I've been around long enough to know that is THE powder for that particular bullet.

Also, what has been said above about a full support barrel is good advice. Full power load = full support barrel.

I have heard that Glock is starting to improve the support level of their barrels, but I am skeptical to say the least of a Glock OEM barrel having the case support of a KKM, Lone Wolf, Barsto, Storm lake or similar aftermarket barrel which has been designed properly to take the extra power of stout handloaded cartridges.

As for my own self, I think I'll stick to my 135 grain load for deer hunting (though I will still continue experimenting with 150 gr. Nosler loads in upcoming years).

P.S. If I were targeting for a specific velocity in the 180gr. it would be around 1325 fps. This is based on my experimenting with the 200gr. xtp which an okay load is around 1240 fps.

Last edited by Kegs; 09-02-2012 at 08:40..
Kegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 14:28   #11
Taterhead
Counting Beans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kegs View Post
If the load doesn't contain the word "longshot" in it for a 10mm 180gr. bullet, I wouldn't take the advice personally.

Oversimplified.

Have you personally handloaded any Longshot yet?

Old 09-02-2012, 14:31   #12
Taterhead
Counting Beans

Quote:
Originally Posted by dm1906 View Post
1190 and 1221 FPS are essentially the same, even with a full 1 grain powder charge difference. Atmospheric/climatic conditions alone can affect velocity a lot more than that with the same load recipe, not to mention test barrel length/type/spec, bullet seating depth, bullet brand, brass brand/condition/prep, bullet crimp, chronograph variation, etc, etc.... A 3% velocity variation between commercially published and field tested is very little, all things considered, including a 1 grain charge difference. Hodgdon doesn't test with OEM Glock barrels. They are typically (significantly) longer, and of a different type altogether, including the chamber dimensions. They are putting their best foot forward ($$), nothing more.

For example, Hodgden's 2002 table shows a 180 gr. bullet with a suggested charge of 9.5 gr. LS. In 2002, this recipe with a Sierra JHC tested 1287 FPS in a 5" (unspecified) barrel. This is not an XTP, and not an OEM Glock barrel or pistol. You CANNOT rely on load tables as absolutes, regardless of their origin. They are basic test results, under very specific conditions, and have very little correlation to YOUR actual field experience. They are helpful with getting you started with developing a load, but little more. Commercially published handload recipes rarely live up to their claims (in our practical experience), plain and simple. If a handloader can't accept this as a basic fundamental handloading rule, they should quit before they injure (or worse) themselves and/or others.
Exactly right. This is a good post.
Old 09-03-2012, 08:59   #13
Kegs
Ol 8 fingers ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taterhead View Post
Oversimplified.

Have you personally handloaded any Longshot yet?

Good question & the answer is no.

Still working the 800x and still working the lighter bullets. Why? Because they are quite effective using the measured charge weight system I have stuck to ever since messing with it.
Old 09-03-2012, 10:44   #14
dm1906
Retired SO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kegs View Post
Good question & the answer is no.

Still working the 800x and still working the lighter bullets. Why? Because they are quite effective using the measured charge weight system I have stuck to ever since messing with it.
What is your level of experience? How does your experience lead you to your initial conclusion? Inquiring minds want to know.....

While Longshot is a good powder, it is by no measure, THE powder for any specific cartridge, in any caliber. I use Longshot, but NOT for my 180 gr. 10mm loads. It does not do what I need it to do. YMMV. It's no different than the old Ford vs. Chevy argument.