Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-04-2012, 07:22   #1
cajun_chooter

Best Self Defense weapon night sights?

I have a G19/3 that i am considering getting night sights installed.. my question which night sight would be best for self defense situations ?

thanks,
cajun_chooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:54   #2
The Retired Sarge
"The Sarge"

Take a look at the Trijicon HD night sights. Though a long time Meprolight user, I think the HDs are the best out there right now. Bill
The Retired Sarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 19:00   #3
cajun_chooter

I decided to go with Glock Factory night sights for my G-19 ...GlockMeister has them for $75 ... and if you send in your slide they install them for free ..
cajun_chooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 19:41   #4
hi-power man
Silver Membership

I have Glock night sights on my G30. I like them, easy to pick up in the dark or daylight.

I more recently had Ameriglo night sights put on my G27. The pro glo front and the pro operator rear. The more I shoot these the better I like them. The black rear with no white circles and the orange with tritium front are a fast acquisition. In the dark, the tritium becomes evident.

Sights, Optics and Lasers

Last edited by hi-power man; 09-04-2012 at 19:41..
hi-power man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 19:47   #5
4Rules

Two options:

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=24365/Product/SEMI-AUTO-SLANTPRO-reg-NIGHT-SIGHTS

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=54541/Product/I-DOT-PRO-SIGHT-SETS
4Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 20:31   #6
BuzznRose

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajun_chooter View Post
I have a G19/3 that i am considering getting night sights installed.. my question which night sight would be best for self defense situations ?

thanks,
6 months ago, I would have said Tru Glo TFO's hands down. But then I decided to try XS Big Dot Tritium's, and I love them too!

I still have TFO's on my G26 and won't replace them. I replaced the TFO's on my 23 with the Big Dots because I bought a G19 and knew I'd recycle them on that gun.

Both are excellent choices.
Old 09-04-2012, 21:26   #7
yamen1999

I had ameriglow night sights on my G21 until I improved my tactics. I now have the hex sight system and I am very pleased with the results in all light conditions. http://goshen-hexsite.com/index2.php
yamen1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 18:13   #8
WagonMaster
Wagon Master

Sight Picture and Review for Glock pistols.

[url]http://www.ar15.com/mobile/topic.html?b=5&f=13&t=98924&page=1[/url]
WagonMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 22:43   #9
irwig05

In my own experiences and opinion, night sights are basically worthless. If you are shooting in the dark in a self defense situation you're night sights will only be good for the first shot. After the muzzle blast from the first round, you're eyes will not be able to reacquire the sights for some time. So basically the sights are good for one shot, that is, if you even use your sights in a self defense situation.

I don't really see a purpose to buy night sights unless for target shooting. But then again, I think there are just better options such as fiber optic sights or other target sights. In low light situations, I'd recommend a light or laser. I have aftermarket sights on some of my glocks but ALL have crimson trace lasers on the ones I carry daily. I highly suggest shooting at night before spending the cash.

Again, this is just from my own experiences and I do have extensive training shooting in the dark.
irwig05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 12:40   #10
WoodenPlank
Who?

I'm partial to Warren Tactical Sevigny Carry night sights for Glocks. A shame they don't make them for my P229.
Old 09-09-2012, 13:26   #11
M1A Shooter

Send a message via Yahoo to M1A Shooter
i like the ameriglo hackathorn sight. its a plain rear and an orange ring around the tritium front. i shoot them in IDPA as well. i like the front only sights as it is just faster inmo. the rear dots just seem to distract me a bit by trying to line them up. with the front only, it seems to force front sight focus a bit easier.with the orange ring, in the daylight they are also crazy bright, almost like a red dot sight.
Old 09-10-2012, 02:51   #12
boomhower

Quote:
Originally Posted by irwig05 View Post
In my own experiences and opinion, night sights are basically worthless. If you are shooting in the dark in a self defense situation you're night sights will only be good for the first shot. After the muzzle blast from the first round, you're eyes will not be able to reacquire the sights for some time. So basically the sights are good for one shot, that is, if you even use your sights in a self defense situation.

I don't really see a purpose to buy night sights unless for target shooting. But then again, I think there are just better options such as fiber optic sights or other target sights. In low light situations, I'd recommend a light or laser. I have aftermarket sights on some of my glocks but ALL have crimson trace lasers on the ones I carry daily. I highly suggest shooting at night before spending the cash.

Again, this is just from my own experiences and I do have extensive training shooting in the dark.
I couldn't disagree more. Either you haven't done much night shooting or your using crap ammo that fireballs.

OP: I like the stop Glock night sights but I always by mine with them installed. If I was buying aftermarket I'd look hard at Trijicons.
boomhower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 21:26   #13
samuse

I don't use night sights because I hate the sight picture during the day.

But there are a few situations where tritium is handy. It's hard to explain, but shooting outside at night when you're around those weird yellow street lights and car headlights, it throws funky shadows and the light/dark at the same time plays hell on your ability to find the outline of black sights.

Yellow rears and a green front have been my favorite.

An X300 is still mandatory for night-time stuff, night sights, optional.

Quote:
You suck at...well, everything so far.
samuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 09:34   #14
irwig05

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomhower View Post
I couldn't disagree more. Either you haven't done much night shooting or your using crap ammo that fireballs.

OP: I like the stop Glock night sights but I always by mine with them installed. If I was buying aftermarket I'd look hard at Trijicons.
There is a big difference when shooting at dusk and shooting at night in the pitch black. If I get the time I'll make a video using many different brands of ammo to prove my point that night sights simply do not work as advertised. I'll try to have it up by this weekend.
Old 09-12-2012, 12:27   #15
4Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by irwig05 View Post
There is a big difference when shooting at dusk and shooting at night in the pitch black. If I get the time I'll make a video using many different brands of ammo to prove my point that night sights simply do not work as advertised. I'll try to have it up by this weekend.
Top trainers advocate using light sparingly, flashing and moving, flashing (to search) and moving in darkness, flashing (to identify) and moving in darkness, and shooting in darkness (from a new location).

Good luck with that.
4Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 23:43   #16
irwig05

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Rules View Post
Top trainers advocate using light sparingly, flashing and moving, flashing (to search) and moving in darkness, flashing (to identify) and moving in darkness, and shooting in darkness (from a new location).

Good luck with that.
I have trained this way, just as everyone else has who is in military or law enforcement. And when would a civilian need to use these tactics? Most people buy night sights for their home defense weapon or ccw. Is the bad guy not going to know where you are when you need to pull your pistol to defend yourself? Or further yet, are MOST people going to even use their sights in an immediate threatening situation, especially when the majority of shootings happen within a few feet? This is why a laser or light visible on a bad guy is much simpler, more practical, and requires much less training. Think simple. Isn't that why we all own a glock??
Old 09-13-2012, 17:20   #17
wuvmyglock

Check with the local ranges in your area... Some have handguns with different sights that you can try out. We all have different "tastes"... What works for me may not work for you or the next 100 shooters.. Try before you buy if you can..
wuvmyglock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 17:21   #18
wuvmyglock

FYI... I tried a set of "speedsights" on a buddies gun and really liked them..
wuvmyglock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 18:38   #19
ojabog

I''ll 2nd XS Sights. Easy to acquire the front sight in all conditions.
Old 09-13-2012, 21:29   #20
jbglock

I'm of the opinion that 99.9% of the people that buy night sights have never used their guns at night in a life and death situation. You are better off investing in a gun light. Night sights are the solution to a problem that never existed.
jbglock is offline   Reply With Quote