SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-08-2012, 13:25   #1
bklynpete
Viet Nam Vet

light weight and simple

The last time I posted on here was for my M16A1/AR15 build. I really am happy with the results.

Now because of what happened on Tuesday night, I'm looking to do a M4/AR15. This time I am looking at complete rifles. My requirements are: light weight, Magpul accessories (Since I replaced a lot of components with them on my M16 and M&P 15-22), Shooting indoors at around 100yds, and of course as inexpensively as possible. I am looking at the S&W M&P MOE Magpul, and the Colt 6920 Magpul addition. Sportsman's Warehouse by me, has them both for around $1100. I tend to lean towards the Colt, but I do love my M&P 15 22. Are there any other brands that I should look at?? If I can keep it around $1k, that would be nice. I also saw on Midway, a complete DPMS upper for around $500 that was interesting. I could get the lower that I put on my M16 build, but then I'd have to piecemeal Magpul components again.

Thanks in advance.
bklynpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 13:49   #2
WayaX
Lifetime Membership

You're almost going in two different directions. Lightweight and Magpul are almost two different directions. Your best bet, would be ordering a Colt 6720 (light weight version of the 6920), and swapping out the carry handle for a fixed BUIS. The equivalent set-up from BCM would also be a nice rifle.
"Throughout history, it has been the inaction of those who could have acted; the indifference of those who should have known better; the silence of the voice of justice when it mattered most; that has made it possible for evil to triumph."

-Haile Selassie I
WayaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 14:21   #3
skeeter7
Brass Vulture

I have the 6720 and you dont get a carry handle with it. You get a Matech flip up rear sight. Very nice light simple setup. I did end up putting a carry handle on mine though just because I prefer it.
NECC #401
skeeter7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 13:33   #4
bklynpete
Viet Nam Vet

Sorry for not replying, but found another thread that was started comparing S&W to Colt. It's been going on for awhile, it's interesting, once you get past the side remarks. It's still early in the testing, the S&W is showing very impressive groups so far.
Old 11-14-2012, 04:51   #5
TangoFoxtrot
OIF 04-05

Quote:
Originally Posted by bklynpete View Post
Sorry for not replying, but found another thread that was started comparing S&W to Colt. It's been going on for awhile, it's interesting, once you get past the side remarks. It's still early in the testing, the S&W is showing very impressive groups so far.
Yes it is bklynpete! The S&W is just as good or better than the Colt...I know because I own both. If you buy a stock S&W Sport you can still outfit it with Magpul furniture for way less than $1,100. Oh and still have money to buy extra ammo.
TangoFoxtrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:14   #6
Cochese
CLM Number 209
Most mackinest

Try and find one of these...

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/7-GLT6720R
Old 11-14-2012, 05:28   #7
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
NRA Life Member

Light enough for ya?

Black Rifle Forum

Black Rifle Forum
faawrenchbndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:29   #8
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TangoFoxtrot View Post
......The S&W is just as good or better than the Colt........
Utter BS,........unless you prefer a Buick over a Cadillac!
Old 11-14-2012, 07:12   #9
ak103k

I have both, and my S&W has performed just as well as the Colts Ive owned, and the SP1 I currently own. The Smith has a long way to go to catch up with the SP1 to prove itself there though. The old SP1 has been running strong and regular since 1974, and at this point, has more rounds through it than many people have probably shot in their lifetime, so it'll be a tough act to follow.

I picked the S&W up (nib) on a whim in a trade, and have been pleasantly surprised with how well it shoots and works. Its accurate, and has not had one problem as far as function goes.

Zeitgeist - Addendum
ak103k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:19   #10
mjkeat

I think people need to start qualifying their "just as good" statements. Simply saying it is misleading. I can say my A is better than my B but it means nothing unless there is some background given. How many rounds, type of usage, experience, etc.
mjkeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:32   #11
Travclem
Lifetime Membership
Badass Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
I think people need to start qualifying their "just as good" statements. Simply saying it is misleading. I can say my A is better than my B but it means nothing unless there is some background given. How many rounds, type of usage, experience, etc.
Excellent! I agree.
Old 11-14-2012, 09:36   #12
mjkeat

We'll see how it goes. I have a feeling people will either not qualify their statements or lie about it. Nobody wants to make the "just as good" claim then follow it up w/ "in 100 rounds last year."
Old 11-14-2012, 11:04   #13
ak103k

Its really all just anecdotal when you get down to it. The only way to really know whats best for you, is build up your own database of good and bad.

Then again, the minute you post your experiences, youll be inundated with opposing views, many, if not most of which, are based on what they read on the internet, and not on any experience at all.

Ooops, I gotta go, I got a somewhat hot blonde waiting who thinks Im a french model. Au voir!

Zeitgeist - Addendum
Old 11-14-2012, 11:20   #14
mjkeat

And in the very next post...
Old 11-14-2012, 11:20   #15
bmoore

Quote:
Originally Posted by faawrenchbndr View Post
Light enough for ya?

Black Rifle Forum

Black Rifle Forum
That thing makes me shed a tear everytime I see it. Pick up my slick side 601 lower today.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:22   #16
bmoore

OP- go for the Colt or look at BCM lightweigt uppers.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:46   #17
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoore View Post
That thing makes me shed a tear everytime I see it. Pick up my slick side 601 lower today.

Outstanding,.........I used to prefer M4 profile barrels. After shooting
a few light weight barrels, I am hooked!
Old 11-14-2012, 12:55   #18
bklynpete
Viet Nam Vet

The 6720 talo edition looks really interesting. I'll do some research on it. Thanks to all!
Old 11-14-2012, 15:15   #19
ak103k

Quote:
And in the very next post...
Hey, at least I offered something to the subject. I didnt see your "qualifications" listed, so what did you really offer, other than a snide comment?

If you need specifics, these days, I shoot about 200 rounds or so a month out of the M&P15, and none are fired from a bench. Its never had any cycle issues that werent intentionally induced, and seems to shoot everything Ive put in it so far, without issue. Mostly its my reloads, but GI or factory work equally as well.

As far as the SP1, its pretty much retired these days and doesnt get out much any more. Up until a few years ago, its had at least a couple thousand rounds a year through it, and early on, it was two to three times that. I cant ever remember it having a problems, and all I ever replaced over the years, was the recoil spring a couple of times. Other than that, its still running on all its original parts.

From what Ive seen of the S&W so far, I dont see it having any issue doing what the Colt has done over the years. I suppose time will tell, but if it does run like the Colt, its not likely to be me that will have to deal with it.

Zeitgeist - Addendum
Old 11-14-2012, 15:31   #20
Brian Brazier

Colt is no longer going to ship the Matech flip up rear sight with the 6720, they are now coming with Magpul MBUS Rear sights on all of their rifles except the A2's, also they are releasing a retro A2 carbine with triangle handguards, it was suppose to have a shorty fixed stock, but will now have a collapsible stock.

Last edited by Brian Brazier; 11-14-2012 at 15:38..
Brian Brazier is offline   Reply With Quote