Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-13-2012, 17:22   #1
fusegsp

Has Anybody Dealt With Colt Customer Service Lately

I bought a Colt LE6920 Sunday and have a problem with it and was wondering what I'm in for. I was cleaning the factory oil off and noticed the barrel has five or six rust spots on it. I'm not very happy. I looked the gun over before I bought it but couldn't see the rust since it was under the oil that was on the barrel. Hopefully they'll take care of me.
fusegsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 17:46   #2
Travclem
Lifetime Membership
Badass Member

They are notorious for having terrible civilian customer service. Though they might be trying to patch things up on account of losing the M4 contract. Good luck, and let us know how it turns out.

Personally, I'd just see if a little 0000 steel wool and some oil would take the rust off.

Last edited by Travclem; 11-13-2012 at 17:47..
Travclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 18:04   #3
fusegsp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travclem View Post

Personally, I'd just see if a little 0000 steel wool and some oil would take the rust off.
Maybe I'll try that if Colt doesn't help out. I'll give them a chance first. I left out a big part of the story. I bought this gun at Wal-Mart. They don't even want to talk to me about it. They said their policy is no refunds / no returns. I knew that going in, but I thought they might at least deal with Colt for me and maybe ship it back for me. They said all they could do is reimburse me for the shipping back to Colt if Colt won't pay for it. We'll see. I'm calling Colt tomorrow.

Last edited by fusegsp; 11-13-2012 at 18:07..
Old 11-13-2012, 18:11   #4
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
They are notorious for having terrible civilian customer service. Though they might be trying to patch things up on account of losing the M4 contract. Good luck, and let us know how it turns out.

Is that so?

Please, elaborate.

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)

Last edited by Warp; 11-13-2012 at 18:11..
Warp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 18:17   #5
Matthew Courtney
CLM Number 285
Instructor #298

Degrease the barrel with simple green or brake parts cleaner and coat it with corrosion X.

www.louisianashooters.com
Matthew Courtney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 18:22   #6
Travclem
Lifetime Membership
Badass Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warp View Post
Is that so?

Please, elaborate.
At one time Remington had won the contract.
http://www.americanrifleman.org/arti...y-m4-contract/

http://militarytimes.com/blogs/gears...ith-remington/

Upon further research:

Looks like no decisions have been made at this time due to Colt whining about it.
http://militarytimes.com/blogs/gears...icit-new-bids/

Last edited by Travclem; 11-13-2012 at 18:28..
Old 11-13-2012, 18:27   #7
fusegsp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Courtney View Post
Degrease the barrel with simple green or brake parts cleaner and coat it with corrosion X.
Does that stuff remove rust or just stop it's progress? I'd rather not send this gun back if I don't have to, but on the other hand I'm a freak about rust. Ever since I forgot an 870 in my trunk for a week and it came out a beautiful, matte, orange.
Old 11-13-2012, 18:29   #8
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
At one time Remington had won the contract.
http://www.americanrifleman.org/arti...y-m4-contract/

http://militarytimes.com/blogs/gears...ith-remington/

Looks like no decisions have been made at this time due to Colt whining about it.
http://militarytimes.com/blogs/gears...icit-new-bids/
True or false: When Remington was awarded that contract, they hadn't actually won the bid (bid lower) once the royalty requirements were properly accounted for.

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)
Old 11-13-2012, 18:35   #9
Travclem
Lifetime Membership
Badass Member

Quote:
True or false: When Remington was awarded that contract, they hadn't actually won the bid (bid lower) once the royalty requirements were properly accounted for.
I really don't know what you are getting at. I don't know the specifics as I do not work for the government, Colt, or Freedom Group. I said Remington won the contract just like the article says.

Do you have anything to add for the OP, or just feel the need for a little trolling.

Last edited by Travclem; 11-13-2012 at 18:37..
Old 11-13-2012, 18:36   #10
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
I really don't know what you are getting at.

Do you have anything to add for the OP, or just feel the need for a little trolling.
Trolling? Is that what you did by bringing up the contract? (and not really getting it correct)

Last edited by Warp; 11-13-2012 at 18:37..
Old 11-13-2012, 18:38   #11
Matthew Courtney
CLM Number 285
Instructor #298

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusegsp View Post
Does that stuff remove rust or just stop it's progress? I'd rather not send this gun back if I don't have to, but on the other hand I'm a freak about rust. Ever since I forgot an 870 in my trunk for a week and it came out a beautiful, matte, orange.
It "kills" the rust with polar bonding. A few days after you treat the barrel, use a green scrub pad to polish the affected areas, then put a little more corrosion x on it. The polar bonding protects the metal even when the metal appears dry. It is the only thing that I have found that keeps my carry guns from rusting when I sweat on them.

www.louisianashooters.com
Matthew Courtney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 18:39   #12
Travclem
Lifetime Membership
Badass Member

Quote:
Trolling? Is that what you did by bringing up the contract? (and not really getting it correct)
No I was giving a reason that their customer service could possibly be on the rise.

But please, since you are stuck on it, give us the details oh Omnipotent one.

Last edited by Travclem; 11-13-2012 at 18:41..
Old 11-13-2012, 18:47   #13
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
No I was giving a reason that their customer service could possibly be on the rise.

But please, since you are stuck on it, give us the details oh Omnipotent one.
I like how you immediately result to name calling.

It really makes your input worthy of serious consideration.

Old 11-13-2012, 18:49   #14
fusegsp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Courtney View Post
It "kills" the rust with polar bonding. A few days after you treat the barrel, use a green scrub pad to polish the affected areas, then put a little more corrosion x on it. The polar bonding protects the metal even when the metal appears dry. It is the only thing that I have found that keeps my carry guns from rusting when I sweat on them.
Cool. I think the rust is minor enough that this is just the ticket. My nightmare scenario is sending a brand new gun away and being without it for months before I even get shoot it. Thanks for the info.
Old 11-13-2012, 18:52   #15
Travclem
Lifetime Membership
Badass Member

Quote:
I like how you immediately result to name calling.

It really makes your input worthy of serious consideration.
Name calling? It was a complement. Do you understand the meaning of the word? Still waiting on your input to on the topic.

Last edited by Travclem; 11-13-2012 at 18:53..
Old 11-13-2012, 18:54   #16
Travclem
Lifetime Membership
Badass Member

Quote:
Cool. I think the rust is minor enough that this is just the ticket. My nightmare scenario is sending a brand new gun away and being without it for months before I even get shoot it. Thanks for the info.
I agree, nothing worse than having to send a new gun back.
Old 11-13-2012, 18:54   #17
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

There are links in this thread.

You may want to read them.

Old 11-13-2012, 19:01   #18
Travclem
Lifetime Membership
Badass Member

Quote:
There are links in this thread.

You may want to read them.
Black Rifle Forum
Old 11-13-2012, 19:10   #19
bmoore

OP give liquid Froglube a try too. It took off some small surface rust spots on an heirloom 410 and wingmaster I have. It worked quite well actually. Neverdull used lightly may also work. I understand your frustration but it probably will not be big deal. Congrats on your rifle.

Last edited by bmoore; 11-13-2012 at 19:13..
bmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 19:12   #20
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Froglube is great

Old 11-13-2012, 19:21   #21
LA_357SIG
Milspectacular

Quote:
Well, Colt's sole source manufacturing contract did expire. Haven't you noticed Colt's gradual shift to the civilian consumer market? Examples include the removal of the MIL/LEO use only stamping, M4 carbine stamping added, Magpul accessory models, sales in Walmart and non-LEO distributor networks. I seriously doubt any of this would have happened if their bread and butter gov't contract had not expired. The upcoming Florida manufacturing plant might mean cheaper costing Colts for civilian consumers with the absence of the UAW... or it may mean cheaper quality because of the lack of gov't inspector oversight and the fact that it is a shift to the civilian market.

http://www.armytimes.com/news/2009/0...rbine_070609w/

Last edited by LA_357SIG; 11-13-2012 at 19:29..
LA_357SIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 19:25   #22
LA_357SIG
Milspectacular

Quote:
I bought a Colt LE6920 Sunday and have a problem with it and was wondering what I'm in for. I was cleaning the factory oil off and noticed the barrel has five or six rust spots on it. I'm not very happy. I looked the gun over before I bought it but couldn't see the rust since it was under the oil that was on the barrel. Hopefully they'll take care of me.
I would just lightly scrub it off with gun oil and a scotchbrite pad, then reoil. I doubt Colt will replace a barrel for a few rust spots. Even if they do take it back, it will be on your dime for shipping, and they will probably just buff it out and send it back to you.
Old 11-13-2012, 19:38   #23
fusegsp

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA_357SIG View Post
I would just lightly scrub it off with gun oil and a scotchbrite pad, then reoil. I doubt Colt will replace a barrel for a few rust spots. Even if they do take it back, it will be on your dime for shipping, and they will probably just buff it out and send it back to you.
I wasn't expecting them to replace it. Just maybe refinish it. Doesn't matter now I guess, I'm going to use some of the products mentioned in this thread and work it out. I did learn one thing though. That sign at Wal-Mart that says "All gun and ammunition sales are final," should also read, "...and don't ask us for even the tiniest bit of help if your gun has a defect. We don't care about your $1200 rifle, we have underwear to sell."
Old 11-13-2012, 20:23   #24
WoodenPlank
Who?

If it's just surface rust (not horribly uncommon with parkerized barrels), then a rag with some decent gun oil on it should take it off quickly enough. If it's any kind of serious pitting, I would send it back to Colt regardless, as it cold be a sign of a bad parkerizing job.
Old 11-13-2012, 20:31   #25
glock031

Quote:
You sure it's rust? The preservative Colt uses some times leaves stubborn brown stains that appear to be rust. They can be removed with a solvent type cleaner.