Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-02-2012, 16:03   #1
Chris Brines

Anyone CCW a wheelgun?

I know this may be a dead horse, and I may not be the first to start a thread like this...but I'm curious to know how many people carry revolvers. I'm also curious to know the age, and how big of a city they live in. Just because it seems to me that the ones who carry revolvers are typically older (50+) folks. Forgive me, I'm 32 lol...

I don't know any people my age that carry wheelguns...it's Glocks, XD's and 1911's all the way.

And the reason I asked about the size city they live in is just because I'm curious to know what the likelihood of being caught up in the presence of a violent crime would be...because where I live, it's a little bit higher than would be for an average sized American city...but considering the size of Houston, we have a low crime rate...but still gotta watch yourself...and that's one of the reasons I felt like I should CCW a semi automatic, and I currently carry a G26...10 round magazine, 1 in the chamber.

But honestly...I really like my Ruger GP100...it's a blued revolver with a 6" barrel...and I shoot that thing VERY well...much better than any semi auto I've ever shot (with the exception of a few 1911's). Plus I really like the simplicity and reliability of a good wheelgun, and the fact that it is SA/DA and a negligent discharge (not that I am negligent with my guns) is nearly impossible.

I'm just trying to get some feedback on that matter. I had a 38 snub nose I kept in my car at all times, but sold it to get the GP100, which is currently my main home defense gun...but have seriously been considering trading it for one with a shorter barrel.. or getting another snubbie...I"m not selling either of my Glocks, those are definitely good guns....but sometimes the idea of carrying a wheelgun seems appealing to me...and I'd just like to get feedback from others who do carry wheelguns....the only drawback I could see is the fact that there's only 5 or 6 shots, and reloading would not be as easy as with a Glock (I don't carry a spare mag). But I seriously have to wonder just how likely the chance of me having to ever use more than 5 or 6 shots in a SD situation really is....

Thoughts? Feedback is appreciated.
Chris Brines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 16:16   #2
Schlitz

Occasionally I ccw a 4inch gp100. Depends on what mood I'm in honestly. It's a proven gun with a proven caliber, you shouldn't feel too out gunned with 6 rounds of 357. I haven't personally heard of many SD scenarios that turned into a gun fight, but if you're going to a gunfight grab a Glock...or an AR
Schlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 16:17   #3
BamaBud
NRA Life Member

With "flash robs" and "beat whitey" incidents occuring with greater frequency, I carry a G19 and a J-frame as backup.

I would not consider a wheelgun as primary carry unless I was with a bunch of guys who also carry. Then, I MIGHT carry a brace of Magnums.

NRA Life Member
BamaBud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 16:31   #4
DaneA

I have carried my Ruger Police Six .357 once in a while. Usually, it is my 19 or 26. When I finally have time to get Seths on the phone, since apparently their email doesn't work, I will get a holster for my Sig and it will be in my rotation as well.
DaneA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 16:35   #5
Marine123

I just bought my first snubbie 38 spl and I leave that one in my vehicle as a back up but I cc a glock 23

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
Marine123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 16:41   #6
robhic
Platinum Membership
WOLVERINE!!!!

I EDC a G26 with one in the chamber. I carry a .38/.357 Taurus snubbie with .357 125gr JHP Golden Sabers. I carry this one in a Smart Carry either for deep concealment or as a backup. I just lost my nerve to carry the Glock in the SmartCarry because of its pointing direction.

Get the book "The Snubbie Revolver" by Ed Lovette (recommended by Mas Ayoob) for a good resource and to give you some good ideas regarding carrying a snubbie.

I live outside New Orleans, the Congo on the Mississippi.

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
robhic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 16:52   #7
geoemery

I carry a Taurus 605 based on my attire and mood. Most mobs break up with the first one or two shots and if they don't, I can't carry enough ammo to stop them. For the most part, critter are my major concern. Judging from I've read, more shots are fired at single person then groups.
geoemery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 17:17   #8
Chris Brines

Quote:
Originally Posted by robhic View Post
I EDC a G26 with one in the chamber. I carry a .38/.357 Taurus snubbie with .357 125gr JHP Golden Sabers. I carry this one in a Smart Carry either for deep concealment or as a backup. I just lost my nerve to carry the Glock in the SmartCarry because of its pointing direction.

Get the book "The Snubbie Revolver" by Ed Lovette (recommended by Mas Ayoob) for a good resource and to give you some good ideas regarding carrying a snubbie.

I live outside New Orleans, the Congo on the Mississippi.
Live near N.O., definitely a good reason 2 carry 2 guns....craziest city in America....or at least in the top 3 for sure....Chicago's quickly catching up...only Detroit would be worse (now, NO used 2 be #1 for homicides for many years). Yeah I carry my G26 with a round chambered at 4 o clock in a Remora IWB no clip holster...(I highly recommend these holsters), but if I have 2 tuck in my shirt (rare), I Carry it in the Belly Band, at 1 o clock, pointed in that same direction.....no round in the chamber then....

Well from what I've read here I think I'll be looking for a 38 snubbie soon....had a Taurus 85....sold it 2 get my GP100....miss it....but I bet I could buy it back from the person I sold it to...but part of me says "go for a 357....if you're gonna do it.....do it right".

And just a word of advice, I've heard some not so great things about Golden Sabres.....just sayin....check out Corbon DPX or Speer Gold Dots....they have 38's and 357's for both
Old 09-02-2012, 17:25   #9
Berto
woo woo

95% of the time, it's my SW 442 in a cargo pocket, loaded with 135gr Gold Dots or Buffalo Bore stuff.
If it's a belt gun, then the I go to my 1911 auto, or G20 depending on where i'm off to.

I respect the concern for 'beat whitey'/ zombie attack scenarios, but for me, my needs are primarily personal defense/last option uses, not movie stuff.
I practice with the gun 2x a month, I shoot and reload it well. It works.
I was in the house when the house burned down.
Berto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 17:27   #10
jhmayhem

I know where you are coming from, I'm in my twenties and live just outside of Seattle. Seattle, like any big city, has a lot of really nice safe areas and a lot of shadey bad areas. I started off only carrying high-cap semi-autos but in recent years have eased into carrying a .38 snub as my EDC. I still carry my glocks when I am out and about though, and may eventually move to carrying a pocket 9mm as my EDC.

Yeah there are drawbacks to carrying a snubby, but once you get comfortable with shooting one and begin carrying it, I think your perception of will start to change like it did for me. They certainly fall under the category of defensive pistol then offensive. Once you practice a few times with speed strips and speed loaders, carrying spare ammo is no problem.
jhmayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 17:47   #11
Chris Brines

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhmayhem View Post
I know where you are coming from, I'm in my twenties and live just outside of Seattle. Seattle, like any big city, has a lot of really nice safe areas and a lot of shadey bad areas. I started off only carrying high-cap semi-autos but in recent years have eased into carrying a .38 snub as my EDC. I still carry my glocks when I am out and about though, and may eventually move to carrying a pocket 9mm as my EDC.

Yeah there are drawbacks to carrying a snubby, but once you get comfortable with shooting one and begin carrying it, I think your perception of will start to change like it did for me. They certainly fall under the category of defensive pistol then offensive. Once you practice a few times with speed strips and speed loaders, carrying spare ammo is no problem.
Yeah and the 2 revolvers I've owned, have both been SA/DA. Well I did own a single action Blackhawk for about 3 weeks...before I got my "baby"...my GP100 It was a personal requirement of mine to have the capability to shoot SA or DA depending on what I wanted/needed at the time. And always considered those DAO snubnoses (like the Bodyguard, if I'm not mistaken) to be a limitation. But I've actually gotten alot better at shooting DA wheelguns, and someone mentioned to me the reason many of these guns come with the "hidden hammer" (not sure of the proper terminology for that), is so you won't catch it on your clothing during your draw...which makes perfect sense. I think a good DAO snubnose 38 or 357 would be excellent for a back up gun, either to be carried in the pocket or in some other spot.

But yeah...there are a relatively high amount of shootings in my town....and some of them happen VERY close to where I live. There has been one in the apartment complex I lived in, at the time. Actually there's probably been 3 or 4 "close calls", where I was in a place where a crime (murder, or attempted murder) happened, within the hour before it happened. Got me thinking, and that was my main reason to start CCW'ing.

I think I feel the same though....I love a good snubbie...but am a little skeptical about relying on a 5 shot revolver as my ONLY gun....I can load with a speedloader pretty fast too...just sayin' I'll probably do like most in this thread, and use that as a back up gun. Not sure when this will happen, if I'll trade my GP100 for a shorter barrel (I love that gun, so I doubt that'll be what I do), or just save up a few hundred bucks and buy me an affordable, yet reliable 357 or 38 snubnose, double action only.

Last edited by Chris Brines; 09-02-2012 at 17:48..
Old 09-02-2012, 17:55   #12
Chris Brines

And as for the "kill whitey" reference...yeah....it really is disappointing to know that whether or not George Zimmerman killed this kid in self defense, or if it was a cold blooded murder....he's probably not going to be convicted, simply due to a lack of concrete evidence in favor of the prosecution....

And the disappointing part about it is the fact that I KNOW there are a small faction of STUPID people who will use that as an excuse to take out their anger (at how much their life sucks because they're bonehead losers) on anyone white, which will not only suck for innocent caucasians, but will cause non-objective people to see that as an act of offense by the entire black community....which would also be a boneheaded loser mindset. But that is another topic, for another thread, that has already been worn out many times over...

That is something I think about...but I just throw it into the ever increasing pile of other reasons I CCW....to sum it up, I CCW because it's a dirty world...

Honestly, I live a pretty simple life...I go to school, come home, go to the grocery store, and out to eat every once in a while..maybe hit a movie from time to time or the mall with my wife....I don't go to bars, clubs, or other places where there are a large amount of intoxicated people....so hopefully that drastically decreases my chances of getting caught up in some type of nonsense...but then again you never know...remember Aurora....I carry every time I go to the movies, always have, always will...and will stop going to movies the day they say CCW is banned in movie theaters.

Last edited by Chris Brines; 09-02-2012 at 18:00..
Old 09-02-2012, 18:00   #13
257 roberts

I carry a S&W 642 sometimes but AARP says I have to when I turned 56
257 roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 18:05   #14
firefighter4215

I sometimes pocket carry a 642. With Speer Gold Dot short barrel ammo I have complete confidence in the weapon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 257 roberts View Post
What?
firefighter4215 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 18:11   #15
Chris Brines

Quote:
Originally Posted by 257 roberts View Post
AARP? Like the insurance? I'm not quite understanding lol....you mean it's part of your life insurance, and they say to keep the policy you can't carry a semi auto after 56? First time I've heard of something like that.....if that's what you mean...
Old 09-02-2012, 18:11   #16
alwaysshootin

personally, I think a better thread starting question would be, "anyone under 60, carry as their primary, a revolver" ? I know a lot use one as a back up, or occasional carry, but doubt many do is a primary. If one decides to carry, and do so to be prepared, may find the revolver to be too old school for today.
Old 09-02-2012, 18:15   #17
Schlitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris brines View Post
aarp? Like the insurance? I'm not quite understanding lol....you mean it's part of your life insurance, and they say to keep the policy you can't carry a semi auto after 56? First time i've heard of something like that.....if that's what you mean...
Click image for larger version

Name:	1911****yea.png
Views:	202
Size:	21.4 KB
ID:	227518
Schlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 18:15   #18
collim1
Shower Time!

29 years old. Live in a medium sized city (~45k people). I am a big revolver fan. I carry a 442 often as a primary, but mainly as a BUG.

A SP101 .22 and Mod 10 4" heavy barrel are two of my favorite range shooters. I have often considered a SP101 in .357mag for CCW.
collim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 18:34   #19
Ranger142

I do, .38 Ruger LCR. I am 40 and live near a city that had more murders per capita than Detroit.
Ranger142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 18:37   #20
Chris Brines

Quote:
Originally Posted by collim1 View Post
29 years old. Live in a medium sized city (~45k people). I am a big revolver fan. I carry a 442 often as a primary, but mainly as a BUG.

A SP101 .22 and Mod 10 4" heavy barrel are two of my favorite range shooters. I have often considered a SP101 in .357mag for CCW.
Wow..I'm no gun expert by any means...but I've heard a few people in recent weeks mentioning that they CCW a 22 of some kind...do you really think a 22 is enough gun? Just curious...

I know a few shots from a 22 in the right spot can do some SERIOUS damage, but I still just never really would feel comfortable with anything less than a 9 or 380.

EDIT: I misunderstood...it's a 38 special you CCW...and the 22 is the range gun..yeah those are the best range guns, I agree.

I love the SP101...I'm pretty much sold on Ruger for all my revolvers...my GP100 shoots better than the SW 686 and even the Colt Python I've shot...in my opinion...1/4th the price of a Python too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysshootin View Post
personally, I think a better thread starting question would be, "anyone under 60, carry as their primary, a revolver" ? I know a lot use one as a back up, or occasional carry, but doubt many do is a primary. If one decides to carry, and do so to be prepared, may find the revolver to be too old school for today.

Yeah, good point. That's mainly what I was asking, anyone younger carry revolvers? I don't know anyone personally, that's my age, that carries a wheelgun. In fact, many people under 40 or so that I know, have told me they're just not a big fan of wheelguns at all. I understand the advantages and rapid fire capability (aka "fun") of a semi auto....but I love revolvers for some reason....they're just awesome, that's all I can say about them.

Like if I were a military commander, or general (like Patton for example), and knew I had heavily armed soldiers around me at all times, with FA rifles and an arsenal of other weapons..my sidearm would probably be a good 4-6 inch 357 magnum or 45 LC.

But I'm definitely, not George S. Patton lol....which if I am not mistaken, was known for carrying revolvers, even against the advice of his colleagues to switch to a 1911....he obviously had enough confidence in his gun, revolver and all....(I'd imagine he had another one stashed somewhere most of the time...).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlitz View Post
Nahh I'm serious...is that really a rule they have?

Last edited by Chris Brines; 09-02-2012 at 18:43..