SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-05-2012, 09:39   #81
bac1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcDW View Post
Too bad Colt never got the problems out of them.
I liked them from the feel and looks.
They are very comfortable in hand.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 10:41   #82
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

That was a Knight pistol that Colt put its Prancing Pony on.
Old 09-05-2012, 10:54   #83
bac1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfalman View Post
That was a Knight pistol that Colt put its Prancing Pony on.
Yeah, it was designed by Reed Knight and it was a flop. It was only produced from 1991 to 1993.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Old 09-05-2012, 12:36   #84
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Quote:
Originally Posted by bac1023 View Post
Yeah, it was designed by Reed Knight and it was a flop. It was only produced from 1991 to 1993.
Yet people cough out thousands of dollars for Knight rifles. I don't get it.
Old 09-05-2012, 12:42   #85
Golddog

Colt fiddled with Knight's design and created reliability issues that weren't present in his original specifications, or so I've read.
Golddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 15:00   #86
vtducrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRguy View Post
Greatest handgun ever made - H&K P7

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

Uh No
It's A-OK. A simple "I disagree" would have sufficed. I agree it's heavy - I give you that. But why are the other factors you listed construed as negative? Over-engineered and complicated? If the objective is to design a pistol with a front cocking mechanism, I don't agree with that assessment.

Last edited by vtducrider; 09-05-2012 at 15:01..
vtducrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 15:14   #87
bac1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddog View Post
Colt fiddled with Knight's design and created reliability issues that weren't present in his original specifications, or so I've read.
Could be

I'm not sure, but it wouldn't surprise me. After all, what does Colt know about stiker-fire pistols.

Old 09-05-2012, 16:08   #88
ak103k

Quote:
That's the Germans for you. Why have a gun with twenty parts when two hundred parts will do?
LOL. Thats right!

Zeitgeist - Addendum
ak103k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 16:54   #89
bac1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtducrider View Post
It's A-OK. A simple "I disagree" would have sufficed. I agree it's heavy - I give you that. But why are the other factors you listed construed as negative? Over-engineered and complicated? If the objective is to design a pistol with a front cocking mechanism, I don't agree with that assessment.
My feelings as well.

Old 02-02-2013, 11:15   #90
rsilvers

Quote:
Originally Posted by faawrenchbndr View Post
The P7 is one of the greats,.......but the 1911 is on the top shelf!
The 1911 - it would seem - is popular because you can tinker with it. Otherwise, a 1911 cannot remotely compare to a Glock 17 on the basis of weight, interchangable parts, reliability, capacity, ease of operation, etc.
rsilvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 11:16   #91
rsilvers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddog View Post
Frame heats up after a mag or two. Squeeze cocker is unusual and even dangerous if you use other pistols a lot. Sold mine because I didn't want to be tied to one pistol's MO.
Yes, it heats up - so what - it takes 30-40 rounds. That is a lot of rounds in a gunfight. This is a fighting pistol - not a range toy.

I never understood the difficulty in changing from having a firm grip on a P7 and on any other pistol. That is how I hold all handguns.

Last edited by rsilvers; 02-02-2013 at 11:17..
Old 02-02-2013, 11:19   #92
rsilvers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgo View Post
Its a great handgun but I'd take my sig p210 over my p7 though.
I have a few of each. I carried a P210 for a while, and have a Mitch Rosen shoulder holster and 5JR. The P210 does bite me, and I cannot reach the safety without changing my grip a lot, so I prefer the P7 for carry. But the only 9mm or larger pistol I shoot better than a P7 is the P210.
Old 02-02-2013, 11:20   #93
rsilvers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary1911A1 View Post
Except for the dustcover getting hot it is a great pistol. I use to consider it's trigger to be the best striker fired pistol until the Walther PPQ was introduced.
I have two PPQ M2s on order and am very excited about them. I think those and the HK P30 V1 are both great triggers, grip grips, and great looking pistols.

When it comes, I will give it a good try. If I can shoot it close to as well as a P7, I may switch to the PPQ. I cannot shoot any Glock close to as well as a P7.
Old 02-02-2013, 11:23   #94
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
The Dude Abides

Back to the P7,..... here's my Tripp hard chromed M8 wearing Nills.

General Firearms Forum
faawrenchbndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 11:25   #95
rsilvers

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfalman View Post
The P7 was never all that back when it first came out and it still ain't all that. A decent pistol at once upon a time decent price. Nowadays it's a curio with an exhorbitant price.
I would say the Glock 17 is the best combat pistol ever designed.

But the P7 is the safest pistol - and pretty much the only one you can accidentally leave in a bathroom and a small child would not be able to fire it. And yet, when you pick it up, it is not only ready to fire - but has a very light trigger. Nothing else has that feature.

Combine that with exceptional accuracy, great sights, and a slim design, it is a great carry pistol. For me - the best carry pistol, because I shoot it much better than Glocks. If I could shoot a Glock better, I would carry my G19 more - as it is lighter and has much more capacity.
Old 02-02-2013, 11:27   #96
rsilvers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak103k View Post
The biggest problem with the P7's is, you pretty much either carry them, or everything else. They arent something you switch up every other day. You need to have that cocking manual of arms down, or it will bite you in the ass. Get past that, and they are great guns, accurate, easy to shoot well with, and have the fastest reload of anything going, especially the M13, with its gaping mag well.
Either I disagree or other people have more trouble switching modes than me. I claim it is much easier to go between a P7 and a Glock 19 than it is a Glock 19 and a 1911 - as both the P7 and Glock 19 have no manual safety. The grip squeeze on the P7 is automatic for anyone wo properly grips a pistol.
Old 02-02-2013, 11:28   #97
rsilvers

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaddeus View Post
Plus, due to the large handle and short muzzle, a real pain to find good ways to carry it. Most typical carry methods do not work very well while allowing a good purchase on the grip when drawing.
No idea what you could mean. I have four different P7 holsters and they are all as normal as any holsters for any gun I have.
Old 02-02-2013, 11:30   #98
rsilvers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuteTheMall View Post
If you had to get into a defensive 9mm pistol gunfight against an unknown number of opponents, who would rather be carrying an H&K P7 instead of a Glock 17?

Beautiful gun, great collector's item, fine craftsmanship and I would enjoy owning one, but it 's not the greatest handgun ever made.
Not if guns are tools instead of talismans.
Probably the greatest CCW pistol ever made, but agreed not the greatest handgun.

I would rather have it in a gunfight than a Glock 17 *only* because I shoot it at least twice as accurately. But, I realize many people can shoot Glocks very well - so perhaps most people would be better off with a G17? I am not sure - I would need to see their qualification scores with each.
Old 02-02-2013, 11:32   #99
rsilvers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak103k View Post
The NJ state police had a number of unintended discharges, especially when holstering, when they were using them, and they were supposed to be "trained."
The NJ police who had those discharges would holster the pistol with their finger *ON* the trigger! Really - I cannot believe this "issue" keeps on being raised. Don't holster a gun with your finger on the trigger and the gun won't fire.
Old 02-02-2013, 11:37   #100
barth
six barrels

My vote is HK45C

I love HKs.
But rented a P7 at one time and was uneasy with the squeeze cocking. Maybe with more range time I would have warmed up to it.
As for the five HKs I do own?
Or of the many guns I've shot over the years?
The HK45C is my favorite handgun made by any manufacturer.

For me, the HK45C is the greatest handgun ever made.
I don't think I'm alone either;
HK45C was adopted by the United States Naval Special Warfare Command in September 2010.
General Firearms Forum

Last edited by barth; 02-02-2013 at 18:06..
barth is offline   Reply With Quote