SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-03-2012, 19:47   #41
bac1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodenPlank View Post
While I love the design and elegance of the P7 and P7M8, the M10 is just freaking ugly to me.
Thanks for your opinion.

I never said it was pretty, but its a great quality pistol and shoots awesome,

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 21:16   #42
WoodenPlank
Who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak103k View Post
The biggest problem with the P7's is, you pretty much either carry them, or everything else. They arent something you switch up every other day. You need to have that cocking manual of arms down, or it will bite you in the ass. Get past that, and they are great guns, accurate, easy to shoot well with, and have the fastest reload of anything going, especially the M13, with its gaping mag well.
Actually, if you use a crush grip on every gun you shoot, then the squeeze-cocker on the P7 series isn't an issue. After that, it's just keeping your booger picker off the bang switch until you're on target - same as any other gun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bac1023 View Post
Thanks for your opinion.

I never said it was pretty, but its a great quality pistol and shoots awesome,
I don't doubt the shootability for a second, and I'd love to try one out some day. The extra mass on the top of the slide just makes them look really strange to me.
Old 09-04-2012, 00:34   #43
MarcDW
MDW Guns

Quote:
General Firearms Forum

General Firearms Forum
Now as beautiful the M10 is, for me it is too heavy to CCW.
I should have bought one 20 years ago however when I was offered one for little money (which I spend on foolish things) and just kept it.
Trouble with the M10 is that the .40 needs that weight.
Too bad HK does not make them today, would love a .357 SIG M10!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
for current inventory
MarcDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 05:20   #44
thaddeus

I went through my P7 phase. Owned 3 M13s an M8 and an M10. Then I took my Glock 19 to the range and tried my best to convince myself the P7 was a better shooter but the targets would not agree. All that money and all that hype, and such a cool gun, the P7 HAD to be the better shooter. Nope. Bitter pill.

Plus, due to the large handle and short muzzle, a real pain to find good ways to carry it. Most typical carry methods do not work very well while allowing a good purchase on the grip when drawing.

Cool gun!!!! But I was disappointed.
Old 09-04-2012, 05:27   #45
bac1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodenPlank View Post

I don't doubt the shootability for a second, and I'd love to try one out some day. The extra mass on the top of the slide just makes them look really strange to me.
It does look strange. It's known as the "cyclops", after all.

Old 09-04-2012, 05:28   #46
bac1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcDW View Post
Now as beautiful the M10 is, for me it is too heavy to CCW.
I should have bought one 20 years ago however when I was offered one for little money (which I spend on foolish things) and just kept it.
Trouble with the M10 is that the .40 needs that weight.
Too bad HK does not make them today, would love a .357 SIG M10!
Yeah, it is very heavy indeed. It's probably the softest shooting 40 I own though.

Last edited by bac1023; 09-04-2012 at 05:29..
Old 09-04-2012, 06:33   #47
MarcDW
MDW Guns

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaddeus View Post
I...Then I took my Glock 19 to the range and tried my best to convince myself the P7 was a better shooter but the targets would not agree...
The P7 with it's squeeze cocking is a total different platform which gives you several advantages which a Glock does not even have. The magazine change is one example or disabling the gun by taking out the firing pin is another.
If you were not more accurate with the P7 then with the G19, then most likely it was you.
Which is fine, maybe the Glock fits your hand better or some other factor.

Quote:
I...due to the large handle and short muzzle, a real pain to find good ways to carry it. Most typical carry methods do not work very well while allowing a good purchase on the grip when drawing...
I don't know how you CCW, but I have several good OWB holsters and a shoulder holster for the P7 that work just like any other pistol.
The P7 is however more training intensive.
Specially people who come form other platforms have their troubles with the squeeze cocking system.
The P7 is not for everyone. You love it or you hate it.
It is a firearm with a lot of little good details most owners don't know about!

Quote:
Yeah, it is very heavy indeed. It's probably the softest shooting 40 I own though.
Never fired a .40 P7, but I bet it is just sweet.
for current inventory
Old 09-04-2012, 08:13   #48
FLIPPER 348
Happy Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcDW View Post
The P7 with it's squeeze cocking is a total different platform which gives you several advantages which a Glock does not even have.

...an actual safety for starters
FLIPPER 348 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:41   #49
1gewehr

I had one in the late '80's. It never did grow on me, so I sold after about ten years later. The frame heating thing really annoyed me, and I was never able to instinctively pick it up and cock it. I always had to think about it, which bothered me.

Ain't the free market grand?! I like CZs, you like HKs, and the other dude likes Glocks. The market allows us each to make choices based on our own preferences rather than have some bureaucrat somewhere make them for us.
1gewehr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:49   #50
bac1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1gewehr View Post
I had one in the late '80's. It never did grow on me, so I sold after about ten years later. The frame heating thing really annoyed me, and I was never able to instinctively pick it up and cock it. I always had to think about it, which bothered me.
I guess they aren't for everyone. They are different.

Old 09-04-2012, 08:49   #51
MarcDW
MDW Guns

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1gewehr View Post
...Ain't the free market grand?! I like CZs, you like HKs, and the other dude likes Glocks. The market allows us each to make choices based on our own preferences rather than have some bureaucrat somewhere make them for us.
You are absolutely right and my commands were not mend in any disrespect to anyone.
Just my opinon and worth as much as you (didn't) pay for!
for current inventory
Old 09-04-2012, 09:13   #52
vtducrider

I prefer the single stack 9mm in the P7. The original design. It is in its own class - there is nothing else in the market like it. It is inherently a more accurate pistol than many, including Glocks. Fixed barrel, gas-delayed blow back system which retards the rearward motion of the slide until the bullet exits the barrel. And not all polygonal rifling are created equal, and I think the HK rifling is more superior than Glock's.

I have never shot the Sig-210 so I can't comment on the posts that referenced it. I don't believe I have heard anything negative about it.

Last edited by vtducrider; 09-04-2012 at 09:14..
vtducrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:23   #53
bac1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtducrider View Post
I have never shot the Sig-210 so I can't comment on the posts that referenced it. I don't believe I have heard anything negative about it.
Usually, its just the awkward safety as far as negatives are concerned about the P210.

Old 09-04-2012, 10:04   #54
MarcDW
MDW Guns

The SIG P210 has a better precision then the P7.
However it is a lot larger and even with todays prices of the P7 twice the money.
Beside this, the P210 is technically not very different form other Browning principal pistols (the quality of the P210 beats of course most other guns).
The P210's slide runs inside the frame and otherwise the differences are more cosmetic.
for current inventory
Old 09-04-2012, 10:16   #55
ChuteTheMall
HildabeastHater

If you had to get into a defensive 9mm pistol gunfight against an unknown number of opponents, who would rather be carrying an H&K P7 instead of a Glock 17?

Beautiful gun, great collector's item, fine craftsmanship and I would enjoy owning one, but it 's not the greatest handgun ever made.
Not if guns are tools instead of talismans.
"I was part of a 10-person team at the human genome project that weaponized diseases to fight weaponized diseases. Pathogenic microorganisms with pathogenic microorganisms. Fire with fire. Interdepartmental drinks were had, relationships made..."
ChuteTheMall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:42   #56
vtducrider

I didn't say anything about carrying. Yet... However It is probably the best carrying pistol for many reasons, with the only negative being its weight. Hmm, can a polymer version be made? That would be the day I think CTM's comment is on the 8+1 capacity vs. 17+1 in SD scenarios. It's valid point/risk, but I think it can be mitigated by having a spare 8-rd mag, which is very slim and tucks anywhere. I usually have it in a mag carrier.

I shoot the P7 extremely well. The sight radius is just about perfect for my eyes, the trigger breaks clean and crisp, and the amount of travel is perfect for prepping the follow up shot, i.e. you can start pulling the trigger immediately, and it is at the fulcrum when the muzzle rise settles. It takes a bit of training to do this. I use the same technique on Glocks too. But the Glock trigger doesn't have enough reset travel for me to do it well. Often times the follow up shot goes off too soon. I am still practicing of course.

The only thing better, for me that is, might be the P7M7. It's a single stack 45ACP version of the P7, which only made it to prototyping. It's the holy grail to P7 collectors. I only know of 2 in existence.

Last edited by vtducrider; 09-04-2012 at 10:54..
Old 09-04-2012, 11:02   #57
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuteTheMall View Post
If you had to get into a defensive 9mm pistol gunfight against an unknown number of opponents, who would rather be carrying an H&K P7 instead of a Glock 17?
I'd take the gun that I shoot the best with, but that's just me. I'd rather stack my odds on my marksmanship capability with the gun than magazine capacity or some sort of cool feature like fixed barrel or the ability to extract without an extractor.
Old 09-04-2012, 11:35   #58
vtducrider

Also, it wouldn't have mattered what you were carrying if you were jumped by a mob of armed thugs, in which case it might be wise not to draw your weapon if you want to live.
Old 09-04-2012, 11:41   #59
vtducrider

Quote:
This thread is seriously lacking pictures of the subject matter.

Here's my M8 and M10...

General Firearms Forum

General Firearms Forum

General Firearms Forum

General Firearms Forum
Hey Brian, you seriously need a Chantilly

Nice P7's!
Old 09-04-2012, 11:51   #60
vtducrider

Quote:

Plus, due to the large handle and short muzzle, a real pain to find good ways to carry it. Most typical carry methods do not work very well while allowing a good purchase on the grip when drawing.

Cool gun!!!! But I was disappointed.
Milt Sparks Versa Max II, and of course the name of the official leather of the HK P7 is Matt Del Fatti. Any of Matt's holsters for the P7 is not only perfectly functional, but also a work of art.