Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-02-2012, 10:57   #61
WiskyT
Malcontent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado4Wheel View Post
True. Hence my above post. I also wonder if he is reading the disc wrong. The way they fit in the measure could confuse someone.
It wouldn't be too hard for some people to read the disc 180* out, but opposite the 0.43cc cavity is a smaller one, not a larger one.

"If you kill enough of them, they stop fighting."-General Curtis E. LeMay
WiskyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 11:07   #62
Gpruitt54

Quote:
What scale are you using? Why you zeroing so often? Zero with the pan on the scale and don't rezero. Drop the powder in the pan and tap the case in the pan a couple times.
That's just my way to assure myself that nothing has changed. The scale is not drifting. Just ironing out and eliminating the variables and variances.

The scale is a MH-200 digital pocket scale.
Gpruitt54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 11:14   #63
Gpruitt54

Quote:
Originally Posted by birda40 View Post
This may be a silly question , Is the press bolted firmly down, is there powder on the press ? I've seen this happen. Your charges will be all over the board if the press is loose.
The press is secured to a solidly anchored work table. I ain't budging from it's place.
Old 09-02-2012, 11:15   #64
WiskyT
Malcontent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpruitt54 View Post
That's just my way to assure myself that nothing has changed. The scale is not drifting. Just ironing out and eliminating the variables and variances.

The scale is a MH-200 digital pocket scale.
The good news is, you're fine. Your $9.00 scale is the bad news.

Old 09-02-2012, 11:20   #65
Colorado4Wheel

Get a Dillon Beam. I would never trust a cheap digital. Especially the way your recalibrating it. Try weighting the same charge 20 times and see what happens.
Old 09-02-2012, 11:22   #66
WiskyT
Malcontent

If money is tight, the Lee Safety Scale is accurate and cheap. It is cumbersome to use.

Old 09-02-2012, 11:26   #67
Gpruitt54

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiskyT View Post
It wouldn't be too hard for some people to read the disc 180* out, but opposite the 0.43cc cavity is a smaller one, not a larger one.
Good question.

Opposite the .46 opening is .57 opening. So, I am sure I am dropping the correct load. For my current test drops I am using the .46 opening.

I am using the Lee auto desk. It's the one with the square shaped hopper; not the Lee Pro auto desk. Maybe that will help ID my issue.

When I am done with the 20 test drops, I will post the numbers in this thread. For these drops, I am cycling the press through all 4 dies and cropping the charge onto a cup that is on the scale. Yes, I am tapping the case to assure getting all the powder into the cup for weighing.
Old 09-02-2012, 11:33   #68
Colorado4Wheel

Did you clean all the insides to remove oils. Alcohol would work well.
Old 09-02-2012, 11:42   #69
Gpruitt54

Quote:
Did you clean all the insides to remove oils. Alcohol would work well.
OK, here's the total noob question. Clean the insides of what?
Old 09-02-2012, 11:54   #70
Gpruitt54

OK guys, would you call this a solution.

.46 auto desk. HP-38 Powder. Following are 20 separate drops using .46 auto desk. Each drop was poured and tapped onto the scale. Between each drop, I cycled the press fully through all die stations. Here are the results:

1)5.0, 2)5.0, 3)5.0, 4)5.8, 5)5.0, 6)5.0, 7)5.2, 8)5.0, 9)5.0, 10)5.0, 11)5.0, 12)5.0, 13)5.0, 14)5.0, 15)4.8, 16)5.0, 17)4.8, 18)5.0, 19)5.0, 20)5.0

Might the solution be to fully cycle the press through the die station between drops. [Colorado4Wheel] thanks for that recommendation.

How important is it that every single drop exceeded the volume of the .46 disk opening???
Old 09-02-2012, 11:58   #71
WiskyT
Malcontent

Quote:

.46 auto desk. HP-38 Powder. Following are 20 separate drops using .46 auto desk. Each drop was poured and tapped onto the scale. Between each drop, I cycled the press fully through all die stations. Here are the results:

1)5.0, 2)5.0, 3)5.0, 4)5.8, 5)5.0, 6)5.0, 7)5.2, 8)5.0, 9)5.0, 10)5.0, 11)5.0, 12)5.0, 13)5.0, 14)5.0, 15)4.8, 16)5.0, 17)4.8, 18)5.0, 19)5.0, 20)5.0

Might the solution be to fully cycle the press through the die station between drops. [Colorado4Wheel] thanks for that recommendation.

How important is it that every single drop exceeded the volume of the .46 disk opening???
You can't weigh powder charges with any kind of precision with a scale meant to be carried in your pocket. That scale is meant ot measure weed, not powder charges.

Old 09-02-2012, 12:10   #72
Colorado4Wheel

Quote:

The measure is consistent. That is important. Now you need a real scale.
Old 09-02-2012, 12:12   #73
RustyFN

Quote:
That doesn't explain grossly overweight charges, only underweight charges.
Exactly, you would have to jam the powder in the cavity to throw that much over. My guess would be a scale problem or not using it right.
Old 09-02-2012, 12:21   #74
Colorado4Wheel

I was wondering if the scale was set to the wrong thing. Either way it only weights to .2 grains and that is not good enough. His scale weights in Grams and Grains. Could he be misplacing the decimal on the Grams?
Old 09-02-2012, 12:48   #75
Gpruitt54

Quote:
You can't weigh powder charges with any kind of precision with a scale meant to be carried in your pocket. That scale is meant ot measure weed, not powder charges.
Well, I don't smoke weed anymore. So, I bought it for reloading. It seems to work just fine. It weights in grains as well as many other weight measurements. So, why not? How large does a digital device need to be?
Old 09-02-2012, 12:56   #76
Colorado4Wheel

I have to practically beat you over the head to get you to listen. At some point you have to decide if we are right or wrong. (we are not wrong). I mentioned way back on the first page the solution but you took your time listening. How many pages it going to take to explain you need a real scale?
Old 09-02-2012, 12:57   #77
Gpruitt54

Gee, I hope we are not going to spend large sums of money for a scale. We are weighting powder (important, yes!) and not molecules or atomic particles.

What kind of money are we talking about. Give me some reasonable options. Please keep in mind, I am just starting out with this hobby, so cost controls are at the top of the list for me.
Old 09-02-2012, 13:02   #78
WiskyT
Malcontent

Quote:
Well, I don't smoke weed anymore. So, I bought it for reloading. It seems to work just fine. It weights in grains as well as many other weight measurements. So, why not? How large does a digital device need to be?
I don't trust any of the digital scales used by most reloaders. However, most seem to have satisfactory results with scales marketed by companies who sell reloading gear. Those companies know the importance of the kind of accuracy you need to avoid blowing yourself up. Those scales typically cost $50.00-$100.00.

You say your scale is working fine, but it's obvious it isn't. Think about it, what is more likely to be wrong, a cheap scale, or a simple plastic hole made by a company that has been making them for 30 years for the sole purpose of reloading? You're going to have to adjust the way you go about problem solving if you want to limit your problems with reloading.

I've said it several times, and others have acknowledged it as well, you can't get 5.8 grains of 231 in a Lee cavity marked 0.49cc. Also, 231 meters very consistently. It may even be the single most consistently metering powder in existence. Weigh those two facts against the likelihood of a $9.00 digital scale being to blame.

The Lee disc system is so reliable, with it's built in error of throwing light, that starting charges listed in the data sheet provided with the dies don't even need to be weighed.

Last edited by WiskyT; 09-02-2012 at 13:03..
Old 09-02-2012, 13:06   #79
Gpruitt54

Quote:
I have to practically beat you over the head to get you to listen. At some point you have to decide if we are right or wrong. (we are not wrong). I mentioned way back on the first page the solution but you took your time listening. How many pages it going to take to explain you need a real scale?
What is a real scale in your opinion? Then I can see if your opinions work within my budget. I have not seen any recommendations. If you have some, I would be happy to see them.

Please keep in mind, I am not loading competition rounds. So please consideration in any recommendations.
Old 09-02-2012, 13:12   #80
WiskyT
Malcontent

This scale flat out works. Guys gripe about it because it is a bit slow to use and that can get tedious if you weigh lots of charges. For simple reloading, all that frequent weighing isn't necessary. You wiegh a lot of charges in the beginning while you get things sorted out. Once you find that say 0.46cc throws what you want, you just weigh once in a while to make sure things haven't somehow gotten weird. You could just weigh the first charge of a given loading session if you are using the same powder and cavity as last time, or even the last few years. I loaded for two years with the 0.30cc cavity and Bullseye powder. I went two years without using the scale.

So, the Dillon, RCBS, Lyman versions of the Ohaus beam scales are good stuff and are faster to use. If you have the money to buy one of them, get it and you will have a scale for life. But, if you are on a budget, like I was 27 years ago when I bought my Lee scale, you can get a good, safe, accurate scale. You could have blown up your $500.00 gun and your priceless eye(s). There have even been cases where the extractor has blown out so violently that it injured the person next to the shooter.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/712...grain-capacity

Tags
auto desk, lee, reloading .40 s&w