Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-02-2012, 17:38   #121
WiskyT
Malcontent

Plated bullets used to be a much cheaper alternative to jacketed bullets. They don't seem to be cheaper these days, so I wouldn't bother with them if I bought bullets, which I rarely do.

"If you kill enough of them, they stop fighting."-General Curtis E. LeMay
WiskyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 21:22   #122
JuneyBooney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxerglocker View Post
You loaded and fired max loads right off the bat in a new gun? You didn't work up prior? (every batch can be different) Did you size your new brass?
I would think that all the rounds should have been weighed for a new gun. Glad you didn't get hurt.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Cool songs:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Cool car:
JuneyBooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:08   #123
pasky2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado4Wheel View Post
Those are expanded not bulged. They will probably drop right in the factory barrel and you can probably spin them in the barrel. Try it.

If they don't spin they have a little guppie. You can't see it well in the picture. You may see it different because you have held them and see it better and know what to look for in the picture. But to me those look OK except the primers look flat but it's not easy to see.

That is just how Glock 10mm brass looks. A little barrel shaped.

BTW, I would guess you had a overcharge. Maybe not a double charge but a overcharge.

Are you using a Progressive Press?
Steve,
I owe u an apology. I responded to your idea of spinning a fired case in my bbl by stating I'd never have even been able to fit one in the chamber in the first place. I was thinking case gage, not bbl. sorry :-(
So, I tried your suggestion. I CAN plop the fired cases in the chamber. They turn freely. It brings me back to my original thought that the cases looked normal. I believe an overcharge got by me, as a few have suggested.

Thanks a ton for all your input, everyone. I've learned a few things and I hope this thread is a cautionary tale for those looking to reach max loads and beyond.

- Dave
pasky2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:22   #124
SBray

Over-Charged Case

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasky2112 View Post
Steve,
I owe u an apology. I responded to your idea of spinning a fired case in my bbl by stating I'd never have even been able to fit one in the chamber in the first place. I was thinking case gage, not bbl. sorry :-(
So, I tried your suggestion. I CAN plop the fired cases in the chamber. They turn freely. It brings me back to my original thought that the cases looked normal. I believe an overcharge got by me, as a few have suggested.

Thanks a ton for all your input, everyone. I've learned a few things and I hope this thread is a cautionary tale for those looking to reach max loads and beyond.

- Dave
Dave,

Initially, I had reservations about suggesting the potential of your powder drop randomly throwing an even higher charge than you had setup. I did not want to assume that you had not measured each and every case since you were in the initial stages of testing your recipe. I think it is probably common for reloaders to figure that, since it threw 20 accurate charges, why would it throw one higher or lower.

Steve
SBray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:25   #125
Colorado4Wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasky2112 View Post
Steve,

- Dave
Thanks, and I am glad you learned some stuff.

Could you PM Zombie Steve, Jack, Whisky and a couple others. Just so they know I was right. I would hate for them to miss it.
Old 09-05-2012, 13:10   #126
F106 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBray View Post
I think it is probably common for reloaders to figure that, since it threw 20 accurate charges, why would it throw one higher or lower.
Which is a very good reason to stay 0.3 gr to 0.5 gr away from max. Leave a little room for powder measure variation.

Richard
Old 09-05-2012, 14:17   #127
SARDG

Quote:
Originally Posted by F106 Fan View Post
Which is a very good reason to stay 0.3 gr to 0.5 gr away from max. Leave a little room for powder measure variation.

Richard
Gee... recommended Min to rcommended Max... the spread on 320/124gr loads is sometimes .3gr to .5gr

Last edited by SARDG; 09-05-2012 at 14:17..
SARDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 14:36   #128
F106 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SARDG View Post
Gee... recommended Min to rcommended Max... the spread on 320/124gr loads is sometimes .3gr to .5gr
Sometimes that is exactly the case. But I still try to stay away from max. I don't use the V320 powder but even the other powders don't have much range. This is particularly true for pistol reloading.

But it seems to me if the load is at max and the powder measure hiccups, there is a possibility of a serious overcharge.

Richard
Old 09-05-2012, 14:52   #129
dkf

Quote:
I stay away from powders like that.

Last edited by dkf; 09-05-2012 at 14:53..
dkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 15:41   #130
SARDG

Quote:
Originally Posted by F106 Fan View Post
...But it seems to me if the load is at max and the powder measure hiccups, there is a possibility of a serious overcharge.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf View Post
I stay away from powders like that.
Oh nuts... when I asked what Kool-Aid to drink everyone said blue 'cause Dillons are purrrfect and powder-throws are consistent and accurate.

...but a lot of people stay away from 320 - based more on price, than limited charge spread.
SARDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 16:29   #131
F106 Fan

Quote:
Oh nuts... when I asked what Kool-Aid to drink everyone said blue 'cause Dillons are purrrfect and powder-throws are consistent and accurate.

...but a lot of people stay away from 320 - based more on price, than limited charge spread.
I think it may also be based on availability from the LGSs. They simply don't stock high $ powder. To even try VV powder you are practically forced to add it to a bulk order from somewhere like Powder Valley. And then there is that HazMat fee! You really can't buy just a pound to try it out.

So, I just ordered a pound of N540 for .308. Sierra calls it their accuracy load for the .308 175 gr BTHP. I'm in!

But I also bought 8# of IMR 4064, a pound of Varget, primers and some bullets. I need to spread that HazMat fee around.

I have been loading .45 ACP with 4.8 gr of 700-X since '82. I don't see any reason to change so I may never get to try VV powder in a pistol. But the most it could add to the cost of a reloaded round is about a penny. Two cents on the outside. When the bullet costs thirteen cents, who cares about another penny?

Richard
Old 09-06-2012, 21:12   #132
pasky2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado4Wheel View Post
Thanks, and I am glad you learned some stuff.

Could you PM Zombie Steve, Jack, Whisky and a couple others. Just so they know I was right. I would hate for them to miss it.
I'd venture to say they know your always right, anyway! ;-) but I'll dot the T, anyway just for you. :-))

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
10-Ring #2112 10mm Loaders #2112
G20 Gen3, G29SF Gen3, G23 Gen4
Armalite M15/YHM 20" 5.56 "100m fly swatter"

Last edited by pasky2112; 09-06-2012 at 21:13..
pasky2112 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
10mm 180gr, aa#7, g20, kb!, starline