Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-30-2012, 07:31   #21
Boxerglocker
Jacks #1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breadman03 View Post
Your velocity will increase as you increase your powder charge. Let's say 100 fps per .1 grain. If you notice that all of a sudden, you get 25 fps, you know you are near/at max load.

Keep in mind, I haven't been loading very long and just recently got a chrono, so my understanding may not be totally accurate.
You mostly right but as I stated "Powder charges are not linear" meaning there is no graph that says 0.1 g equal 100 fps through the range. Even if you have max data that is reliable, cross checked, etc. That data is not for your particular gun, barrel length of type in MOST instances. Fast powders in particular can had sudden pressure spikes near max ranges with only slight variances as you develop you load.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
BLUE Kool-aid drinking team member

Last edited by Boxerglocker; 08-30-2012 at 09:13..
Boxerglocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 08:15   #22
unclebob

Sounds like you only used one reference. Everything I have looked at says your charge is way over. You said you had flattened primers. Right there it is tell you, you are over pressure. If you have any one sign of over pressure you stop.
You say you check your scale every once awhile with a 100gr calibration weight. There is a big difference between 100gr and 12 grs. You need to get a set of check weights. If you want to load 10 grains you put 10 grains in the pan if it does not read 10 grains you have something wrong. It does not make any difference if you have a digital or a beam scale you need a set of check weights.
When working up max loads. Put a round in the chamber then pull the magazine out to shoot the round. If you do have a KB with the magazine out you have more of an area for the pressure to relieve.
GSSF Life Member
Old 08-30-2012, 09:07   #23
Beware Owner
NOT a victim.

I stop at the first sign of high pressure. I'd have gone back to pull the bullets at that point.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Beware Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 09:38   #24
sourdough44

Thanks for posting, it helps keep us on our toes.

Living in FL I have to ask why? 1200 fps with a 180 grn bullet seems like a bit much, though I don't reload for the 10mm.
sourdough44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 10:11   #25
Zombie Steve
Decap Pin Killa

Quote:
KB! In New G20. Ideas? What Next?
Buy some factory ammo to hold you over until you get done doing all that pesky reading in those reloading manuals.
Zombie Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 10:12   #26
fredj338

The thing you & many reloaders forget is pressures rarely build in a linear fashion. The closer you get to max, the steeper the pressure curve. A chron will sometims show this as a flattening of vel increase w/ every 1/10gr or a wild spike, both can mean excessive pressures are around the corner. Working in anything but 1/10gr increments as you approach & go past max is just foolish, even with slower powders like AA#7. Getting 1200fps W/ a 180gr anything is safely done. Maybe not w/ AA#7 in your gun, but maybe. Longshot, BlueDot, AA#9, all will get 1200fps w/o pressure issues.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 10:38   #27
Colorado4Wheel

The idea of using a Max load, not calibrating the scale, seeing flat primers and then buying a KKM barrel makes my head hurt. Stop loading your 10mm like it's a 41mag.
Old 08-30-2012, 10:52   #28
pasky2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by sellersm View Post
Is there any chance you weren't actually using AA #7 as your powder, but had BD instead? 12.0gr of BD in a 180gr JHP sounds like it could be trouble...
No. The BD loads I referred to were made and shot early last week. I never have but one powder on the bench at once. I clean my powder hopper before changing powders.
pasky2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 11:08   #29
pasky2112

Thanks to all with helpful comments and suggestions. Most of what I've learned here (and hopefully some others too) can mostly be summed up in the below article which I would have like to have read previously. Also, I never realized that dig scales needed so much attn.
Many here address the non-linear nature of component changes. Reading pressure signs on brass and chrono readings are unreliable, in terms of the edge of max loading and pressure. Have a look... http://kwk.us/chronographs.html

HTH...
Old 08-30-2012, 11:21   #30
pasky2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
The thing you & many reloaders forget is pressures rarely build in a linear fashion. The closer you get to max, the steeper the pressure curve. A chron will sometims show this as a flattening of vel increase w/ every 1/10gr or a wild spike, both can mean excessive pressures are around the corner. Working in anything but 1/10gr increments as you approach & go past max is just foolish, even with slower powders like AA#7. Getting 1200fps W/ a 180gr anything is safely done. Maybe not w/ AA#7 in your gun, but maybe. Longshot, BlueDot, AA#9, all will get 1200fps w/o pressure issues.
I hear all that and agree. But i didn't think I was going beyond max at the time based on the data I was using. I had no desire to load past max.
Old 08-30-2012, 11:36   #31
pasky2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunred View Post
On another note. Try to seat a mag in your gun. Normally when a glock KB's they blow a chunk off the mag release. It no big deal and you can get a new one from lonewolf for a couple of bucks.

Point two. Let me introduce you to the shotgunred philosophy of reloading. Start low. Check for accuracy. when you find a load that is accurate stop. There is nothing to be gained from going higher at that point. You just put more strain on your arm joints and your gun. You are not going to find a good medium burner out there that will not be accurate load at a lot less than max load. If you want more bark and to feel more recoil switch to power pistol.
Will do on the mag release. I DCR'd my G20 and checked for cracks and any damage. Beyond X-raying it, I don't see any anomalies. I used the checklist from the Glock Armorers book to make sure I didn't skip anything.
If/when I try to work up to max loads again, I will just take the mag out after chambering a rnd from it. But I agree w/ what you say about stopping at the accuracy load. I do that with rifle loads.
Old 08-30-2012, 12:17   #32
pasky2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado4Wheel View Post
The idea of using a Max load, not calibrating the scale, seeing flat primers and then buying a KKM barrel makes my head hurt. Stop loading your 10mm like it's a 41mag.
I'm glad you bring that up.
Agree or not, there IS a perception out there...and in here... that the 10mm is comparable to a "41 mag auto". I've seen it more times than I can count and from reputable pubs, not just in forums. It's my opinion that this is a DANGEROUS image to project... especially in an autoloader like a G20, etc. (not saying G20 and/or 10mm is inherently dangerous) Maybe some experienced 10mm shooters/reloaders 'know better', but a guy like me interested in getting involved with 10mm autos, for whatever reason, see this pervasive ideal everywhere and start to percieve it as an 'auto-mag' capable of handling 'nuke' loads. Search 'nuke' in any 10mm forum and tell me I'm wrong.
Yeah yeah...I know they come with the usual 'reduce and work up carefully' warnings. That's cool and responsible. But C'mon... we're Americans! We developed and exploded the 1st atom bombs! We push the edge...
Seriously, I get the importance of careful load workups. And I'm learning just like everyone here. I just think careful consideration should be made by SOME who present the 10mm auto to be more than what it is. For instance, ..."that's a bunny fart load. To get the real feel for what a 10mm can do"....<fill in the blank>.
Let me stop some of you who are thinking I'm putting the blame for my KB. I'm not. I made my choices and I'm grateful for only minor consequences and major lessons. Also I'm MAJORLY appreciative to those of you who offer constructive tips, pointed out some rookie mistakes (e.g. scale quality/calibrations) and those with a thought to try to help.
I'm just throwing these thoughts out there b/c I feel they need to be said as a caution to 10mm loaders, esp. noobs... like myself.
Old 08-30-2012, 13:13   #33
fredj338

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasky2112 View Post
I hear all that and agree. But i didn't think I was going beyond max at the time based on the data I was using. I had no desire to load past max.
Then you need more than one source. When working a new powder/bullet/caliber, 3 printed sources are useful, use the avg from all three as starting & max. Work to the avg max, exceed that only if there are no pressure signs. Understand what your chrono is telling you. Work in smaller powder increments so you can see the changes more readily, 1/10gr max for small cases like the 10mm. Once the vel flattens or spikes, you are probably at max for that gun & load. Adding more powder only raises pressures.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".

Last edited by fredj338; 08-30-2012 at 13:15..
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 13:37   #34
pasky2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by F106 Fan View Post
You need check weights for your digital scale. A calibration weight of 100 grams (1543 grains) just doesn't mean much when you're splitting hairs at 10 to 12 grains. Here's a selection:
http://www.midwayusa.com/find?userSe...=check+weights

Just for info, which scale are you using? Digital scales come in various quality levels and only the Dillon D-Terminator or similarly priced units are good enough. Fred has stated before that there are no good digital scales less than $100 and I think inflation has probably bumped that up a bit.

As to checking for 'pressure signs': Read starting at page 59 of Speer #14. Their point of view is that by the time you can see evidence of overpressure, you are at least 20% above max. And if they can't read pressure signs, I certainly can't!

The flattened primer thing might be important if Federal primers didn't flatten in a wind storm and others have to be mashed with a freight train. Then too, primers are extruded into the striker slot on Glocks whether the loads are hot or not. I don't think measuring the height of the extrusion will be a standard test anytime soon!

I'm real curious about the scale. A little booboo in the reading and a charge that exceeds the powder manufacturer's recommendataion could very well be the cause of the KB.

Richard
Thanks Richard. Here is the scale I've been using. http://brianenos.com/store/be.scale_be.html I got it when I bought my 550b. You know...the pkg deal. As a newbie, I figured Brian Enos was a good adviser for starting out reloading pistol.

I took this to be an accurate scale for pistol reloading...(+/- .1gr) like other more expensive ones. In hindsight (again) this seems to have been a mistake to count on this scale and using 2 check wts. But I had no way of knowing that at the time. I wasn't a benchrest rifle loader looking to get .125 MOA. I zero it with a check weight each use. I have to zero with the powder pan/funnel I use. 96.2grns. So, you see where I'm coming from? Why would I have thought this scale was insufficient?
I know there's another thread on scales now, but it seems like the RCBS 750 is getting some pretty BAD reviews lately for QC and overall service/support? Any thoughts on the Dillon? http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/con...ectronic_Scale

Thanks again.

- Dave
Old 08-30-2012, 13:57   #35
pasky2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
Then you need more than one source. When working a new powder/bullet/caliber, 3 printed sources are useful, use the avg from all three as starting & max. Work to the avg max, exceed that only if there are no pressure signs. Understand what your chrono is telling you. Work in smaller powder increments so you can see the changes more readily, 1/10gr max for small cases like the 10mm. Once the vel flattens or spikes, you are probably at max for that gun & load. Adding more powder only raises pressures.
I like the avg powder charge idea. Great point. I have read multiple resources, Speer, Sierra, Hdy, Hodgdon...powder manuf. of all kinds. It seems the more I read, the more conflicts there are. So, I just cherrypicked one to settle the differences (bullets, primers, cases, bbl len, twist rate, powders)... mistake in hindsight.
Generally speaking, trying to dev a load to max all the time is a hairy and unpredictable proposition. Maybe I'll take up a safer hobby like tornado chasing... ;-) But seriously, perhaps loading for sub-max accuracy is a better long term game IMHO.
Thanks again!

- Dave
Old 08-30-2012, 14:13   #36
Colorado4Wheel

I would be curious to know the complete load data you used. Including FPS, Barrel Length, Type of gun/fixture used. Etc.

Edit, As in what does the book say? Not what you used.

Last edited by Colorado4Wheel; 08-30-2012 at 14:31..
Colorado4Wheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 14:24   #37
F106 Fan

Quote:
I'm glad you bring that up.
Agree or not, there IS a perception out there...and in here... that the 10mm is comparable to a "41 mag auto". I've seen it more times than I can count and from reputable pubs, not just in forums. It's my opinion that this is a DANGEROUS image to project... especially in an autoloader like a G20, etc. (not saying G20 and/or 10mm is inherently dangerous) Maybe some experienced 10mm shooters/reloaders 'know better', but a guy like me interested in getting involved with 10mm autos, for whatever reason, see this pervasive ideal everywhere and start to percieve it as an 'auto-mag' capable of handling 'nuke' loads. Search 'nuke' in any 10mm forum and tell me I'm wrong.
Yeah yeah...I know they come with the usual 'reduce and work up carefully' warnings. That's cool and responsible. But C'mon... we're Americans! We developed and exploded the 1st atom bombs! We push the edge...
Seriously, I get the importance of careful load workups. And I'm learning just like everyone here. I just think careful consideration should be made by SOME who present the 10mm auto to be more than what it is. For instance, ..."that's a bunny fart load. To get the real feel for what a 10mm can do"....<fill in the blank>.
Let me stop some of you who are thinking I'm putting the blame for my KB. I'm not. I made my choices and I'm grateful for only minor consequences and major lessons. Also I'm MAJORLY appreciative to those of you who offer constructive tips, pointed out some rookie mistakes (e.g. scale quality/calibrations) and those with a thought to try to help.
I'm just throwing these thoughts out there b/c I feel they need to be said as a caution to 10mm loaders, esp. noobs... like myself.
One of the things you will frequently see posted on THIS responsible forum is the advice to ignore 'Internet Loads', including our own. One of the things we rarely do is give load data to someone who we preceive hasn't bought a loading manual. We may point him to the various manufacturers' web sites but it's not often we just outright spec loads. If the OP is asking to compare something and he appears to have already done most of the homework, sure, everybody will jump right in. Personally, I tend to parrot what I have in publications and Hornady still thinks 12 gr is ok for your load. Hm...

There seem to be a lot of problems with new reloaders vs .40 S&W and 10mm. I think that's because they are both high pressure cartridges and a little extra powder goes a long way. I don't recall reading about a .45 ACP KB that wasn't obviously a double charge but it's a low pressure cartridge and maybe it's more forgiving. Not that I push the max...

There's a lot of really bad ideas on the Internet. Around here you will find a bunch of long time reloaders who really know what's going on. BTW, I'm not one of them...

Richard

Last edited by F106 Fan; 08-30-2012 at 14:24..
F106 Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 14:38   #38
F106 Fan

Quote:
Thanks Richard. Here is the scale I've been using. http://brianenos.com/store/be.scale_be.html I got it when I bought my 550b. You know...the pkg deal. As a newbie, I figured Brian Enos was a good adviser for starting out reloading pistol.

I took this to be an accurate scale for pistol reloading...(+/- .1gr) like other more expensive ones. In hindsight (again) this seems to have been a mistake to count on this scale and using 2 check wts. But I had no way of knowing that at the time. I wasn't a benchrest rifle loader looking to get .125 MOA. I zero it with a check weight each use. I have to zero with the powder pan/funnel I use. 96.2grns. So, you see where I'm coming from? Why would I have thought this scale was insufficient?
I know there's another thread on scales now, but it seems like the RCBS 750 is getting some pretty BAD reviews lately for QC and overall service/support? Any thoughts on the Dillon? http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/con...ectronic_Scale

Thanks again.

- Dave
The problem I have with calibration weights is that they are 100 times heavier than what I want to weigh. It would be like using my 150 ft-lb 1/2" drive torque wrench to mount a rifle scope.

It's important to calibrate the scale but it is even more important to check it against something in the range of what you are measuring. I will be measuring 42.2 grains of IMR 4064 for some .308 loads. I will be checking my scale against a 50 gr check weight. I probably won't be calibrating it at all.

Two different processes with two different goals but it's the check process that keeps me from violently disassembling my rifle.

A few months ago I was at a range when the range master showed me a rifle barrel that was opened up just like you see in the Porky The Pig cartoons except turned the other way around. It looked like some kind of flowering plant. I have forgotten what he said went wrong with the owner's reloading but the result was VIOLENT!

One thing I do know: That scale you have doesn't come with a wind screen and I know from experience that wind currents can mess up the readings. Typically, the powder will weigh heavy so the load is actually lighter but I don't think it is guaranteed.

I strongly recommend you buy the Dillon D-Terminator. We have another thread on digital scales and a large number of the long time reloaders are using that scale. As am I...

Richard
Old 08-30-2012, 14:54   #39
SARDG

This is the Enos scale I have - but it's really backed up with frequent calibration, check weights, and a RCBS Chargemaster. Call me paranoid.
http://brianenos.com/store/be.scale_hp.html

I also check brass and primers frquently - but Federal primers always look flattened to me, so I've asked a few of our club's reloaders who have examined my shot brass and they all claim there is no problem.

Last edited by SARDG; 08-30-2012 at 14:54..
SARDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 15:18   #40
pasky2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxerglocker View Post
You mostly right but as I stated "Powder charges are not linear" meaning there is no graph that says 0.1 g equal 100 fps through the range. Even if you have max data that is reliable, cross checked, etc. That data is not for your particular gun, barrel length of type in MOST instances. Fast powders in particular can had sudden pressure spikes near max ranges with only slight variances as you develop you load.
This all has proved to be true. I posted this b4 but in light of what you're stating, I think it bears repeating and shows some details of how slight deviations in loads...any load... can have unpredictable results. When that happens at the edge of trying to work up a max load...well, it can have violent results. Even the pro's blow a tube or chamber b/c they missed 'a sign'. They're not likely holding it in front of their faces, though.
http://kwk.us/chronographs.html
Don't let the 'chronographs' in the URL throw you. It addresses results of loads with the slightest variable.

Tags
10mm 180gr, aa#7, g20, kb!, starline