Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-27-2012, 07:40   #1
mknpwr

Glock 36 for carry duty.

I'm looking to pick up a 36 strictly as a carry piece. It's not going to see anything other than weekly practice sessions, and training later this fall when I am able to get the time off for it. I have a 17 for competition which I carry now but would like something smaller and lighter for carry since the 17 is going to be modified for competition outside of production division in USPSA. I had a 19 for a bit and liked it, my thought process is this...36 is lighter than 19 fully loaded, holds less rounds but I'm not carrying to get into gun battles with multiple attackers, I just want to get home if the need ever arose to pull it. Anyone else carry one and wish to share their experiences be it good, bad or ugly?

Sent from my rotary dial phone
mknpwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 08:08   #2
Rick305
ra1sales.com

I might pick up a G36 today. I've been looking for a used one but I can't find one so I may get a new one.

I have an XDs .45slim and want the glock for range/carry rotation.

I figured (from what I read) it was the same size as a G19. So last week at the LGS I compared a 19 to a 36 and the 36 is much smaller -- I love it. It's almost the same size as my XDS.

So hopefully today or tomorrow I'll have a g36 with a ghost rocket in it
Old 08-27-2012, 08:16   #3
druryj

Glock 36

I wouldn't even think about getting rid of my trusty Glock 36. This is my preferred carry piece out of all the many choices available.
druryj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 08:29   #4
PattonT

The G36 is my favorite 45 Glock. It is very Glock 19ish, most Glockers are used to G17/19/22/23... So the G36 feels familiar. Early models were ammo finicky, but there are not many complaints reported now. It is a great IWB gun, the barrel is just the right length to stabilize. I think Glock should have made the magazine a 5rd flush fit or just made the grip a full length compact. Rumor is the 6rd baseplate magazine was a last minute redesign from a 5 rd magazine.
Old 08-27-2012, 08:29   #5
Arc Angel
Deus Vult!

I don't think any of us carry in order to get into CQB pistol fights with multiple attackers. It's just that in today's godless and excessively violent world the level of violence has increased; so has the sophistication and intent! Given my druthers I'd prefer to carry my beautiful S&W Model 686; but, common sense (and the times in which we now live) have shown me that a handgun with more ammunition capacity is better than one with less.

My own EDC carry pieces are either a G-21, or a G-19. Personally, I love the size and weight of the G-19. Originally, I had a difficult time getting accurate with it; but, a lot of practice has now taken care of that; and I'm in love with my G-19. I'm going to add something else to this equation, too: HANDGUNS ARE LOUSY WEAPONS! (They really are, right!)

At 25 yards I fire single pistol shots. (I was popping soda cans with my G-19 yesterday and was quite pleased with myself - That's fun; and I haven't done anything like that in many years!) However, at and inside 15 yards I never fire single pistol shots; everything I let go is done in multiples of either two, three, or more rounds. This, of course, means that a six shot weapon is going to be empty after the second or third burst! Even though I carry as many as two reloads (and often two pistols) I'm not comfortable with that.

I want - Heck, I need. - to be able to, 'tap my way out of trouble'; and a low capacity pistol can't help me to do that. If you had a G-19, you already had a good CQB pistol - One with enough ammo capacity as well as a minimal (but sufficient) sight radius to keep your muzzle on target as you, 'tap them out'. Personally, I would never feel either genuinely safe, or confident with a low capacity G-36 on my belt.

From this: http://img577.imageshack.us/img577/4421/sw686.jpg to this: http://img638.imageshack.us/img638/5636/g191.jpg; and, yes, I'd rather be carrying the former; but, modern times and common sense tells me to go with the latter, instead.
Arc Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 08:38   #6
Glock Master

Go for the G36.
Glock Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 09:24   #7
Big Bird
NRA Life Member

My favorite Glock is my G36 with 230 grain Gold Dots.

I prefer the Pearce +0 grip extension as it feels better than the factory to my hand. I also found the Talon skateboard tape grip enhancers make it a dream to shoot.

I'd much rather carry 7 rounds of .45 than 15 rounds of 9mm...

“Est Nulla Via Invia Virute”
Big Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 10:06   #8
MikeG36

I love the G36. IMO it is the most comfortable CCW Glock. The thinness of the grip make a huge difference. I have several G19 - G23 holsters and my G36 fits all of them perfectly. (Except the G19 shell for my MTAC.) I've had zero reliability issues and it has eaten everything I've ever fed to it. Accuracy is outstanding.

What do I not like about it? Capacity. One or two more rounds would be great. Also, magazine holders. It's hard to find an "off the shelf" mag holder that will work with the G36 mags.

For me the positives out weigh the negatives. Good luck!

Mike
MikeG36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 10:33   #9
PattonT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bird View Post

I'd much rather carry 7 rounds of .45 than 15 rounds of 9mm...
I would not! 7rounds of 45acp is lighter than 16 rounds of 9mm though. I think 14 rounds of 40sw is the real winner though.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:48   #10
M&P15T
Beard One

If you start a thread about a specific model, you're going to get that model's fan boys telling you to use/buy it.

Try this.

Start another thread, and this time put "Glock 19 for carry duty" as the title.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:55   #11
mknpwr

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&P15T View Post
If you start a thread about a specific model, you're going to get that model's fan boys telling you to use/buy it.

Try this.

Start another thread, and this time put "Glock 19 for carry duty" as the title.
I thought about that. I've shot one at my LGS, along with the 30 and 21. I like it and am fine with 6+1. Perhaps I'll rephrase the question, is there anything you don't like about the 36 as a carry piece other than capacity? The comment about magazine holders is good to know and something I had not thought of. Those are the type of comments I was looking for.

Sent from my rotary dial phone
mknpwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 10:58   #12
mj9mm

it's your choice, the 45 acp is very comforting though.
mj9mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 11:07   #13
M&P15T
Beard One

There is next to no difference in effectiveness between .45ACP and 9MM. Given the option, I would choose the higher capacity of the G19.
Old 08-27-2012, 11:33   #14
PattonT

If your feeling warm and fuzzy about a G36 then get it. I actually used to carry 5 rounds in a G27 to save weight, so a G36 for when you need small and light makes since.
You asked what's not to like. The magazine is known to pinch, you may still find a few hollow points that are not 100%. (this can be with any 45 especially 1911'). It's a more expensive gun and more expensive to feed then other Glocks that MAY do the same thing. Holsters can be a problem with G36 because manufacturers make them for other Glocks but say a G36 will work but.... I see no reason to talk you out of it, I do feel a G36 is for a special need and purpose. If it fits then it's the gun for you.
Old 08-27-2012, 11:52   #15
HiVel
HiVel

Gonna get one soon-so is my son. For CC or back up==they are nice . Had one and sold it some time ago. Gotta get a new one !
Old 08-27-2012, 13:12   #16
PattonT

I will probably add a Gen4 36 when they come out.
Old 08-27-2012, 13:35   #17
TheGlockTalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mknpwr View Post
I'm looking to pick up a 36 strictly as a carry piece. It's not going to see anything other than weekly practice sessions, and training later this fall when I am able to get the time off for it. I have a 17 for competition which I carry now but would like something smaller and lighter for carry since the 17 is going to be modified for competition outside of production division in USPSA. I had a 19 for a bit and liked it, my thought process is this...36 is lighter than 19 fully loaded, holds less rounds but I'm not carrying to get into gun battles with multiple attackers, I just want to get home if the need ever arose to pull it. Anyone else carry one and wish to share their experiences be it good, bad or ugly?

I like the 36 but for concealed carry I just don't think anything out there can match the comfort to capacity ratio of a Glock 26. Espcially with +P or +P+ rounds.

11 9mm +P's is nothing to sneeze at and besides you can carry a G17 magazine on your belt and now you have 17+11=28 rounds.

Not carrying for multiple attackers?
What if you do get multiple attackers?
Just recently in my town a pizza delivery boy was attacked by three attackers, which ended in his death. I think the attackers were caught so all they got was a free pizza and a death sentence.
TheGlockTalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 13:48   #18
Slug71

I wouldn't. I had a G36 and really didn't like it. I would definitely shoot one first. Mine had a couple FTFs too.
Its also the same size as a 19.

I'd go with a G26.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2
Bull Dawgs Club #571
Rimfire Club #571
Slug71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 13:50   #19
Slug71

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&P15T View Post
There is next to no difference in effectiveness between .45ACP and 9MM. Given the option, I would choose the higher capacity of the G19.
Exactly. Was just proven once again by the NYPD.

Bull Dawgs Club #571
Rimfire Club #571
Old 08-27-2012, 13:53   #20
Slug71

If youre set on a .45, I'd rather look at a Glock 38 or a XDs.

Bull Dawgs Club #571
Rimfire Club #571