SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-25-2012, 17:08   #1
Paul53
Geezer Boomer

Wondering about a match in El Paso

Just throwing this out there, looking for feedback.

Nearest matches are about 700 miles away in Tuscon AZ (west) or Carrolton and San Antonio TX (East Texas). Don't know how far people travel for matches, but I'd imagine El Paso could draw from most of NM, and West Texas. Not sure what the local LEO's shoot. Also could draw from Fort Bliss, Holloman AFB, and White Sands Missile Range.

For LEO we have the whole alphabet here: FBI, DEA, ICE, NMSP, TXDPS, DOD, MP's, not to mention county LEOs.

Left the details with the manager of the Fort Bliss Rod and Gun Club. It's a good shooting range with about 15 individual areas dedicated variously to pistols, high power rifles, skeet, Bow and arrow, LEO only, etc.

OK. Let me have it, good or bad idea?
Old 08-25-2012, 17:30   #2
Glockrunner
HOOYA DEEPSEA

Send a message via Yahoo to Glockrunner
Read over the Hosting a Glock Match paperwork and honestly answer the questions in the package.

Now, look to the gun club and surrounding shooters for their commitment to assist in setting up and working the match.

For a good example, the All Ladies Match that was held here. First year we had the support of several LEO units and actually paid the entry fees. Had a wonderful turnout of LEO ladies. While the match did better this year, it didn't have the same support. It's all in how you market the product and how many Glock owners you have.

What ya got?

Last edited by Glockrunner; 08-25-2012 at 17:34..
Glockrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 17:33   #3
DannyR

Texas is a big State. There used to be a match near Lubbock. It's up to a potential host range to fill out the paperwork and submit it to GSSF for consideration.
Bull Dawg #1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by DannyR; 08-25-2012 at 17:34.. Reason: Spelling
DannyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 18:13   #4
Paul53
Geezer Boomer

Thanks for the replies. The range manager is new and trying to increase it's presence. It really is underused. They have scheduled events, one Sunday per month is Wild West day with shooters shooting while riding a 55 gallon drum attached to chains (a real hoot). That and a some other events and classes draw quite a crowd.

What have we got? I don't know. (I'm disabled, can't do much work, standing or walking for more than 10 minutes is a challenge for me). But I'd like to see a match close enough that I could observe, maybe participate if not lots of physical stuff. Fort Bliss is now the home of the 1st Armored Division, and the Rod & Gun Club is trying to appeal to a more family oriented group. Don't know what resources can be drawn from the Army's "MWR" (Morale, Welfare and Recreation). I can easily picture the brass volunteering some soldiers for staffing.

My gut tells me the potential is there. Unfortunately my body no longer allows me to actively pursue and participate as much as I'd love to. Hoping others will add their thoughts since I've never even seen a GSSF match. Fortunately opinions are never hard to find on GT.
Old 08-26-2012, 08:56   #5
Glockrunner
HOOYA DEEPSEA

Send a message via Yahoo to Glockrunner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul53 View Post
Thanks for the replies. The range manager is new and trying to increase it's presence. It really is underused. They have scheduled events, one Sunday per month is Wild West day with shooters shooting while riding a 55 gallon drum attached to chains (a real hoot). That and a some other events and classes draw quite a crowd.

What have we got? I don't know. (I'm disabled, can't do much work, standing or walking for more than 10 minutes is a challenge for me). But I'd like to see a match close enough that I could observe, maybe participate if not lots of physical stuff. Fort Bliss is now the home of the 1st Armored Division, and the Rod & Gun Club is trying to appeal to a more family oriented group. Don't know what resources can be drawn from the Army's "MWR" (Morale, Welfare and Recreation). I can easily picture the brass volunteering some soldiers for staffing.

My gut tells me the potential is there. Unfortunately my body no longer allows me to actively pursue and participate as much as I'd love to. Hoping others will add their thoughts since I've never even seen a GSSF match. Fortunately opinions are never hard to find on GT.
I'll preface this with, "I'm retired Navy."
And with that said, I can't see the Army brass easily volunteering soldiers for staffing of a civilian range.

And the misconsception that the military and the MWR is somehow closely associated. Well, in the Navy MWR is a civilian operation so I just could not understand them telling the Army how to allocate personnel either.

Your range owners might work up a plan for recreational shooting sports at a small discount or something and try to get it approved thru the MWR channels so they can sell to the troops but it has to be approved thru MWR and the base command if I remember correctly.

I forgot to add, in todays world, being disabled isn't a real excuse to lay back if you want to help. Sure there can be barriers I understand but I try to call on all our folks for assistance in operations around the range. There is a list of things you are good at that you could adapt to the enviroment at the range if you want to contribute I think.

We all have some type of disability, we just need to learn work around it or past it and contribute what we can, if we want to help.

I wish you the best, we all need a good safe place to shoot and gather.

Last edited by Glockrunner; 08-26-2012 at 09:04..
Glockrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 09:13   #6
SARDG

In the Coast Guard, MWR is organized and planned by Coasties associated with the specific command and the results end up being single day events rather than ongoing, or even weekend events requiring dedicated staffing. CG commands however, are notably smaller than many other service commands.
SARDG is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
el paso, gssf, match, texas