SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-06-2012, 18:01   #1
MattyIce

Pocket Carry Questions and Reccomendations

Alright GT, I need some assistance.

I am absolutely enthralled with the Springfield XDs. I love the idea of the .45acp in a true subcompact. I plan on picking one up sometime this month.

However, I do have some reservations. I would like to make pocket carry a viable option but have literally no experience. I normally carry my Glock 19 or 26 in a Crossbreed Supertuck. So I have a few questions.

1. Is it best to carry in the front pocket? Or the back pocket, opposite my wallet?

2. Any ideas on a pocket carry holster? Who makes a good one? Are generic sizes ok for pocket carry?

3. For those that may have an XDs, is it small enough for pocket carry? I am 6'2", about 210lbs. I think I should be big enough for it to be concealed.

I have only shot the XDs at the range. It belonged to a fellow shooter, and he was gracious enough to let me fire a few magazines through his. I did not get enough face time with the weapon to answer some of my questions. Any advice you guys could provide would be much appreciated. Thanks, folks!
Old 08-06-2012, 18:20   #2
barth
six barrels

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyIce View Post

I am absolutely enthralled with the Springfield XDs. I love the idea of the .45acp in a true subcompact. I plan on picking one up sometime this month.

However, I do have some reservations. I would like to make pocket carry a viable option but have literally no experience. I normally carry my Glock 19 or 26 in a Crossbreed Supertuck. So I have a few questions.

1. Is it best to carry in the front pocket? Or the back pocket, opposite my wallet?

2. Any ideas on a pocket carry holster? Who makes a good one? Are generic sizes ok for pocket carry?

3. For those that may have an XDs, is it small enough for pocket carry? I am 6'2", about 210lbs. I think I should be big enough for it to be concealed.

I like front pocket strong side.

I like DeSantis Super Fly and Nemesis in the right size for that gun.

I don't have one, but held one Yesterday at the local gun show.
I think with the right pants I'ts definitely doable.

Last edited by barth; 08-06-2012 at 18:24..
barth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 19:15   #3
ChicagoZman

Front pocket carry frequently, generally a S&W 642 in a Galco Pocket Protector when wearing work pants and an LWS 32 in a Don Hume 001 when wearing a suit or casual clothes.

I'm 6'2" and about 200lbs and could probably pocket carry an XDS if wearing tactical or cargo pants but doubt it with anything else.

Good luck.
Glocks: 17, 17L, 22, 22C, 23, 24C, 27, 34
ChicagoZman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 22:24   #4
Dawolf

The Nemesis works well with my Nano.
Dawolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 18:34   #5
jb0009
Glockin' LCSW

I frequently pocket carry my LCP in my front strong side pocket using a DeSantis Nemesis. I also have a Nemesis for my G26 and have been known to pocket carry this when wearing the right shorts/jeans. Obviously, the LCP carries a little easier in the pocket. For what it's worth, though, I've also pocket carried my G19 in the winter while wearing jeans and a coat that comes down to mid-thigh.
G1 Niner's Club #0009
Niner's Club #0009
Sub Club #926
Rimfire Club #2723
jb0009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 18:49   #6
Lampshade

I prefer front pocket, strong side, with a Desantis Nemesis.

Not all pants will work with pocket carry, smaller pockets can be snug even with a diminutive LCP.
Lampshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 23:37   #7
mr.scott

I can't see how you could pocket carry something like an XD.

I pocket carry a db380 and feel it prints pretty bad.
mr.scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 23:45   #8
larson1122

Desantis makes some good pocket holsters. I have a Nemesis for my LCP and it works good for me in the front pocket-strong side. I also have a Super Fly for my G26 but it's a little for me to pocket carry without huge pockets. Works good in a jacket pocket though.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
larson1122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 00:12   #9
Wurger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.scott View Post
I can't see how you could pocket carry something like an XD.

I pocket carry a db380 and feel it prints pretty bad.
It really depends on what you wear. I have cargo shorts that have the pocket made of the same canvas as the rest of the short and the pocket I carry in has a cargo pocket directly infront/over it. So there are three layers of canvas material with the outer one pleated over my CCW. I often cary my Glock G27 this way. I handled one of the XDs pistols the other day. Very similar in size to my S&W shield. I'm sure I could pocket carry it in my cargo shorts. Although I'll stick to my G27 and soon to have CM40 because they are shorter in height.
Wurger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 00:37   #10
cowboy1964

I pocket carry a PM9 in an Alabama Holsters pocket holster. Works very well, even fits in all my jeans pockets but the draw is slow. The XDs is going to be a little bigger of course.

I have a Nemesis for the J-frame and the G26 also fits it but it's rather bulky. I don't use it. I would use it for winter coat pocket carry of the two guns.

Last edited by cowboy1964; 08-08-2012 at 00:39..
cowboy1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 03:10   #11
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
The Dude Abides

Rohrbaugh R9, in a strong side front pocket holster.
Plan on ordering a Recluse rear pocket carrier this week.

General Firearms Forum
faawrenchbndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 07:57   #12
theglockside

I like the Front pocket myself , I usually make my own pocket holsters. But ,the uncle mikes plane jane one works pretty well and its darn cheap.
theglockside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 08:00   #13
WarEagle32

I think the XDs is too big for regular pocket carry. JMO
WarEagle32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 08:04   #14
Creatism

I pocket carry my pf9 usually strong side front pocket, cargo pocket is a close second.
I use a uncle mikes pocket holster and a Ramora to.

Typed from my iPhone with my thumbs!!
Creatism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 22:57   #15
whenmonkeysfly
CLM Number 249
Charter Lifetime Member

I just ordered an XDs and the Desantis Super Fly pocket holster. I too am 6'2" and about 210 pounds. I typically wear tactical shorts or tactical long pants with big pockets (511's) and think I can pocket carry this weapon easily. Really not much bigger than a "J Frame", but a little more on the heft side. I think my size and pants will help me conceal the new big bore buddy in my front pocket just fine.
Old 08-22-2012, 23:33   #16
dnuggett
PRO 2A

I haven an XDS. I have never had the itch to pocket carry it, I wouldn't want to personally. I carry it IWB. Then again I have better options for pocket carry.
dnuggett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 08:44   #17
Ocean_glocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyIce View Post

Front Strong side

Alabama Holsters pocket holster.. use is everyday!

I have to disarm a lot throughout the day so pocket carry works good for me. I used to pocket carry my 26, until I got this XD-s which was a dream.

on the weekends I do carry the XD-s in a supertuck as well... Just reshaped my 26 one.
GSSF Member, F&AM
Ocean_glocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 08:56   #18
dnuggett
PRO 2A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean_glocker View Post
I have to disarm a lot throughout the day so pocket carry works good for me. I used to pocket carry my 26, until I got this XD-s which was a dream.

on the weekends I do carry the XD-s in a supertuck as well... Just reshaped my 26 one.
I could see how going from pocketcarrying the 26 to the XDS would be a big improvement.
dnuggett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 01:14   #19
JRS

Handled an xds the other day and felt identical in dimensions to the 709 that I carry daily. Usually at 4 o'clock iwb, but I toss it in front strong side pocket routinely as well without issues.

I don't use a holster for pocket carry as I trust the 1911 style safety on the 709. But i would trust the grip safety on an xds even more, as it can't get bumped to a permanently "off" position. Part of the appeal of it for me actually.

If the pants have room, pocket carry of an xds shouldn't be an issue, and the safety systems on it make it ideal for such a task (without the need for a holster) in my opinion, but don't sue me if you get hurt.

ps: the main benefit of a pocket holster in most cases is to cover the trigger guard. Secondary is to change the outline from gun to other. With the xds grip safety, I'd *personally* call the secondary function the main one, as it's a very pocket friendly type of system to start with.

Last edited by JRS; 08-24-2012 at 01:22..
JRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 07:31   #20
Ocean_glocker

double post
GSSF Member, F&AM

Last edited by Ocean_glocker; 08-24-2012 at 07:35..
Ocean_glocker is offline   Reply With Quote