GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-21-2012, 15:50   #1
tucojuanramirez

Soon in italy an american rifle: S.&w. M&p15!!! I want a lot of opinions!

Dear American Friends,
soon in Italy a piece of hardware from your glorious country!
Smith & Wesson M&P15 chambered in .223 remington!
The price is good in my opinion, "only" 1500$ , because in Italy the BlackRifles are very uncommon and so very expensive.
Only one thing: Smith & Wesson request the End User Certificate so we must wating about 5-6 months, from the date we buy this firearm.

And now the question: HAVE YOU GOT THIS RIFLE? IS IT A GOOD STUFF? SOME PROBLEMS?

Thank you friends!
tucojuanramirez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 16:29   #2
carloglock19

I have the M&P15 MOE and I haven't had a problem with mine. I'm sure you will get other sugestions soon.
BRC - 2016
carloglock19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 16:38   #3
collim1
Shower Time!

My sister has an M&P Sport and it has been a good rifle, especially considering she paid $700 OTD for it. It groups well and is reliable, even with cheap range ammo. It does start to jam when its dry.

It will run dirty, but not dry. A few drops of oil on the bolt every 200rds or so and it will run without cleaning for more rounds than I can afford to shoot at one time.

The M&P is a rushed production gun compared to some others, but they work well and sell for a reasonable price. I am considering buying one myself.
collim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 22:39   #4
WarEagle32

I have a S&W M&P X Model .223/5.56 that I have had for 4 years. It is a tremendous gun. Just keep it CLEAN and LUBRCATED after each range trip. Look on Youtube and there are plenty of videos that show you how to do this well. Run good, non corrosive ammo through it and it will treat you fine. I try to stay away from steel case ammo and use only brass but a lot of people shoot steel cased ammo and have no problems. I just try to take good care of mine. You will be very happy with the rifle I assure you. I highly recommend with a nice gun like that putting a very nice optic on it if you can. I would get an Aimpoint or Eotech red dot for sure if possible. Aimpoint is my favorite and what I have on my M&P. You can leave it on for 5 years straight on one cheap battery. Buy a few batteries and leave it on for a lifetime. Eotechs are excellent as well but the battery life is a fraction of Aimpoint. I don't know your laws so if you can't get a red dot I would recommend a Nikon P223 1x4 or 2x8 variable scope type optic. Any good brand 1x4 will go best on an M&P if you cant get a red dot! If you have any questions feel free to Private message me and I will help any way that I can. I am glad to see that you are able to get such a good and cool type weapon as this in Italy!! Congratulations!!!

Last edited by WarEagle32; 08-21-2012 at 22:48..
WarEagle32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 22:59   #5
WoodenPlank
Who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarEagle32 View Post
I have a S&W M&P X Model .223/5.56 that I have had for 4 years. It is a tremendous gun. Just keep it CLEAN and LUBRCATED after each range trip.
If you're cleaning your AR after every range trip, you are wasting a lot of time.

Keep it well lubed, and they will run quite nicely, even when utterly filthy.

OP, if it's available in your country, see if you can acquire some SLiP 2000 EWL oil. It's what I use on my AR, and it works VERY well at keeping everything lubed up. A few drops (in the right places) is all it takes.
Old 08-21-2012, 23:15   #6
The Fist Of Goodness

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodenPlank View Post
If you're cleaning your AR after every range trip, you are wasting a lot of time.

OP, if it's available in your country, see if you can acquire some SLiP 2000 EWL oil. It's what I use on my AR, and it works VERY well at keeping everything lubed up. A few drops (in the right places) is all it takes.
The S&W reps that taught our armorer course recommended Mobil 1 synthetic. They brought a bottle to the training for us to use, and afterwards, we shot over 2000 rounds through them over the course of the week.

Last edited by The Fist Of Goodness; 08-21-2012 at 23:16..
The Fist Of Goodness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 23:21   #7
WoodenPlank
Who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fist Of Goodness View Post
The S&W reps that taught our armorer course recommended Mobil 1 synthetic. They brought a bottle to the training for us to use, and afterwards, we shot over 2000 rounds through them over the course of the week.
I'd much rather use something A) non-toxic and B) designed for use in firearms. Plus, EWL won't leave stains all over my clothing like motor oil.
Old 08-22-2012, 00:25   #8
WarEagle32

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodenPlank View Post

I don't mind cleaning it after every trip, it doesn't take long. I do it with all my guns. Just me. Plank, I know you have forgotton more about AR's than I will ever know. Just wanted to tell you that I read a lot of your posts and you are spot on man!! More than cleaning it a lot I believe in keeping it lubed and lube it after every trip, I just started it long ago and do it with all of my guns. I enjoy it!
Old 08-22-2012, 02:06   #9
WoodenPlank
Who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarEagle32 View Post
I don't mind cleaning it after every trip, it doesn't take long. I do it with all my guns. Just me. Plank, I know you have forgotton more about AR's than I will ever know. Just wanted to tell you that I read a lot of your posts and you are spot on man!! More than cleaning it a lot I believe in keeping it lubed and lube it after every trip, I just started it long ago and do it with all of my guns. I enjoy it!
Understood, and thanks for the compliments, even though I don't really deserve it.

It's a pet peeve that people sometimes (STILL) claim that ARs have to be keps spotless to run well, when it's outright untrue. When I see anything that even looks like someone suggesting it, it tends to get my blood pressure up a bit...
Old 08-22-2012, 05:02   #10
tucojuanramirez

Quote:
Originally Posted by wareagle32 View Post
i have a s&w m&p x model .223/5.56 that i have had for 4 years. It is a tremendous gun. Just keep it clean and lubrcated after each range trip. Look on youtube and there are plenty of videos that show you how to do this well. Run good, non corrosive ammo through it and it will treat you fine. I try to stay away from steel case ammo and use only brass but a lot of people shoot steel cased ammo and have no problems. I just try to take good care of mine. You will be very happy with the rifle i assure you. I highly recommend with a nice gun like that putting a very nice optic on it if you can. I would get an aimpoint or eotech red dot for sure if possible. Aimpoint is my favorite and what i have on my m&p. You can leave it on for 5 years straight on one cheap battery. Buy a few batteries and leave it on for a lifetime. Eotechs are excellent as well but the battery life is a fraction of aimpoint. I don't know your laws so if you can't get a red dot i would recommend a nikon p223 1x4 or 2x8 variable scope type optic. Any good brand 1x4 will go best on an m&p if you cant get a red dot! If you have any questions feel free to private message me and i will help any way that i can. I am glad to see that you are able to get such a good and cool type weapon as this in italy!! Congratulations!!!
thank you sir!
Old 08-22-2012, 05:05   #11
tucojuanramirez

Quote:
Originally Posted by collim1 View Post
my sister has an m&p sport and it has been a good rifle, especially considering she paid $700 otd for it. It groups well and is reliable, even with cheap range ammo. It does start to jam when its dry.

It will run dirty, but not dry. A few drops of oil on the bolt every 200rds or so and it will run without cleaning for more rounds than i can afford to shoot at one time.

The m&p is a rushed production gun compared to some others, but they work well and sell for a reasonable price. I am considering buying one myself.
700$ ! This is a good price, in italy firearms cost a lot, and m&p15 is one of the cheaper blackrifles on the market, but it costs about 1500$ (1250 €).
Old 08-22-2012, 05:09   #12
tucojuanramirez

Quote:
Originally Posted by the fist of goodness View Post
the s&w reps that taught our armorer course recommended mobil 1 synthetic. They brought a bottle to the training for us to use, and afterwards, we shot over 2000 rounds through them over the course of the week.
my father in law always says "the oil is a mechanical component".
Old 08-22-2012, 07:29   #13
M&P15T
Beard One

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucojuanramirez View Post
Dear American Friends,
soon in Italy a piece of hardware from your glorious country!
Smith & Wesson M&P15 chambered in .223 remington!
The price is good in my opinion, "only" 1500$ , because in Italy the BlackRifles are very uncommon and so very expensive.
Only one thing: Smith & Wesson request the End User Certificate so we must wating about 5-6 months, from the date we buy this firearm.

And now the question: HAVE YOU GOT THIS RIFLE? IS IT A GOOD STUFF? SOME PROBLEMS?

Thank you friends!
I own an M&P15T. It has been 100% reliable, and very enjoyable to shoot. Let us know when you get your M&P15, I'm sure a few of us would like to hear about what it's like to own an AR in Italy.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:52   #14
WarEagle32

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&P15T View Post
I own an M&P15T. It has been 100% reliable, and very enjoyable to shoot. Let us know when you get your M&P15, I'm sure a few of us would like to hear about what it's like to own an AR in Italy.
We sure would!
Old 08-22-2012, 11:32   #15
michael_b
BRC #1492

Quote:
I'm sure a few of us would like to hear about what it's like to own an AR in Italy.
No kidding!

"Compromise on gun-rights? Did Rosa Parks settle for the middle of the bus?"-Mushinto

Last edited by michael_b; 08-22-2012 at 11:33..
michael_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 16:55   #16
Deaf Smith

What will it be in as I understand in Italy no military calibers are allowed?

Deaf
Old 08-22-2012, 17:22   #17
MrMurphy
Lifetime Membership

Tuco, that was what I was wondering.

I was stationed up north, and shot once at an Italian civilian range. All pistols were 9X21mm IMI, .40 S&W or other random non-mil calibers, and the few rifles were hunting pieces.

How do you avoid the military caliber rule with .223?

That said, I have an M&P15. It's not the top of the heap, but it's a good rifle, you will have no issues with it.
"And Shepherds we shall be. For thee, my Lord for thee. Power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be. In nomine Patris, et fili, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen."
MrMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 18:29   #18
boomhower

The M&P's are good rifles. They aren't top tier rifles but for 99% of usage out there they are fine. Unless you plan on taking a trip to the sandbox for a few months the Smith will be fine. Just run it wet!
boomhower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 18:57   #19
JDSTG58

Last edited by JDSTG58; 01-16-2013 at 20:08..
JDSTG58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 04:42   #20
tucojuanramirez

Quote:
ok, will be done!

Tags
m&p15 italy