Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-26-2013, 22:51   #1
Jim1970
Learnin'

Thinking of getting a Kindle; run Ubuntu 12.04 LTS - wil Calibre work?

Hello,

I've googled this and found that there seems to be a number of "do this but don't do that" kinds of scenarios here. I want Calibre to work so that I can load and edit files before putting them on the Kindle.

Anyone here successfully using Calibre with Ubuntu 12.04 LTS?

Thank you,
Jim
Jim1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 05:47   #2
Bluebearbevis

Hello Jim1970,

I am using Calibre .9.19 from the Developer's web site in Ubuntu 12.04. The repo one didn't work very well, but .9.16 and on have worked great. I'm no Terminal Guru, but I copied and pasted his script, entered it and viola. The program itself even tells you when an update is available. Not sure about the editing, but it's great for reading and organizing. Hope that helps.

Thanks,
Richard

P.S. Just out of curiosity, why are you posting this question here and not on "ask ubuntu" or the "ubuntu forums?"

Last edited by Bluebearbevis; 02-15-2013 at 05:50.. Reason: curiosity
Bluebearbevis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 15:34   #3
Jim1970
Learnin'

Bluebearbevis,

Thanks for your reply. I didn't know there was a specific forum here on GT just for Ubuntu-related questions! I will find it now. Generally speaking, I get answers to my questions from gun forums. I know that sounds lame, but there are a lot of very helpful people with guns in this world!

Thanks again,

Jim
Old 02-19-2013, 17:17   #4
WiskyT
Malcontent

http://ubuntuforums.org/

"If you kill enough of them, they stop fighting."-General Curtis E. LeMay
WiskyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 18:17   #5
Bluebearbevis

Hey Jim,

Didn't mean to mislead you in that there is a Glock Talk forum specifically for Ubuntu or Linux in general for that matter. WhiskyT's link to the Ubuntu forums is what I meant and I installed the Ask Ubuntu Lens in the Dash. It seems there are at least 3 of us gun owners who don't choose to be shackled to Commercial Operating Systems and Software. Maybe we can start something.

Have a good night,
Richard
P.S. sorry, wiskyt

Last edited by Bluebearbevis; 02-19-2013 at 18:18.. Reason: misspell
Old 02-19-2013, 18:20   #6
Jim1970
Learnin'

Hey,

No worries! I searched after I made my last post, then realized you probably meant a different forum. I've been there and seen some issues solved, but I prefer to get my news from manly men who pack guns! Lol, just kidding.

No harm, no foul.

Thanks,

Jim
Old 02-19-2013, 19:41   #7
WiskyT
Malcontent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebearbevis View Post
Hey Jim,

Didn't mean to mislead you in that there is a Glock Talk forum specifically for Ubuntu or Linux in general for that matter. WhiskyT's link to the Ubuntu forums is what I meant and I installed the Ask Ubuntu Lens in the Dash. It seems there are at least 3 of us gun owners who don't choose to be shackled to Commercial Operating Systems and Software. Maybe we can start something.

Have a good night,
Richard
P.S. sorry, wiskyt
No reason for an apology. BTW, there seems to be tons of us in here using one form of Linux or another. I come here for the quality solutions from people who not only know their stuff, but can offer solutions to dummies like me. They know what their doing, but I don't know what they're doing, but all of my stuff ends up working.

Old 02-19-2013, 20:56   #8
TBO
CLM Number 122
Why so serious?

Canonical Announces New Ubuntu Mobile OS for Tablets

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1472801
TBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:38   #9
Bluebearbevis

Thanks for the information TBO. I hear you Wiskyt, I dropped Windows when the hard drive crashed on my old pentium4 and I didn't have the XP disc. 2 new computers and 3 LTS upgrades since, and I've never looked back, except to laugh, of course. Jim, did you try Calibre .9.19? I see it has metadata editing and file conversion capabilities.

Richard
Old 02-20-2013, 15:18   #10
WiskyT
Malcontent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebearbevis View Post
Thanks for the information TBO. I hear you Wiskyt, I dropped Windows when the hard drive crashed on my old pentium4 and I didn't have the XP disc. 2 new computers and 3 LTS upgrades since, and I've never looked back, except to laugh, of course. Jim, did you try Calibre .9.19? I see it has metadata editing and file conversion capabilities.

Richard
That's how I got hooked. My HD crashed and some guy came up to me and said "Hey kid, c'meer. Go ahead, it's okay. Don't worry, the first one is free..."

Old 02-21-2013, 07:28   #11
Bluebearbevis

Indeed,

However, the best part is that it always will be free, is widely and readily available, is (almost) impervious to tampering, and there are support groups to ensure your continued addiction!

Richard
Old 03-03-2013, 05:34   #12
Bluebearbevis

Hey Jim1970,

I haven't heard, how's calibre working for you? Did you copy and paste the command into your terminal from the developers website? Just updated to .9.21 and still working great.

Richard
Old 03-03-2013, 05:48   #13
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

I've turned so man GT'ers on to Ubuntu I think I've lost count..lol.

Unfortunately, I don't have a Kindle (although I do want one), so I can't answer your question.
"Man is not free unless Government is limited"
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 15:19   #14
Jim1970
Learnin'

Update

Hello,

I just got my Kindle, and so far, I've just used it to download free books found online, via amazon.

I am anticipating the challenges to come up when I go to get library books. Before I do that, I will get more serious about Calibre. So, I'm still watching this post!

Thank you,

Jim
Old 03-04-2013, 09:21   #15
Bluebearbevis

Hey Jim1970,

Here is something I found, [url]http://helpforlinux.blogspot.com/2010/05/manage-kindle-from-ubuntu.html[/url]. I would recommend again, Calibre from the developers website, not the repository one.

Downloaded a free Robert E. Howard "Conan" book in both epub and mobi from the Gutenburg Project or some such, added to library and either format work great in the included e-reader.

The problem I'm running into is that some books are only available in Adobe Digital Editions format from retailers as well as the library and no Linux version of the proprietary software is available. I thought I had checked out an ebook the other day, but it was some url link file that wouldn't open.

Anyway,
Richard

Tags
calibre, ubuntu