Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-15-2012, 22:23   #1
parados

Is Your DOG a Weapon?

I was thinking about this as I walked my dog and left my carry gun at home. He is a medium sized German Shepherd/Siberian Husky (about 70lbs) and is generally very mellow. He is more of a threat to squirrels and cats I suppose. But I wondered what he would do if I were confronted by one or more bad-guys on our walk. He does look pretty "wolf-like" but is not as big. Would the assailants be discouraged by the sight of him?

Would you trust your dog to defend you from a threat (or at least buy you some time to run away)? Assume you are outside in the world and not at home where a dog is more likely to stand his ground.

Personally, I don't know what my dog would do yet, so I'd probably better remember my gun next time. At least he is better then our other dog: the aging 10 lb Chihuahua with no teeth!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
parados is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 09:45   #2
H&K 4 LIFE
Leonum A Ignis

Quote:
Originally Posted by parados View Post
... But I wondered what he would do if I were confronted by one or more bad-guys on our walk?
If you don't already know what he might do, then you haven't trained him to behave aggressively on command.

Quote:
Would the assailants be discouraged by the sight of him?...
I don't think anyone can answer that. Some bad guys might be scared of a Chihuahua while others not the least bit afraid of a Pit Bull.

Quote:
Would you trust your dog to defend you from a threat?
Not a dog owner, but no, I would not, simply because my personal safety is foremost my responsibility and not that of my family, the police, my dog or for that matter any other living thing.

Quote:
I'd probably better remember my gun next time...
Sounds like a good plan.
Old 08-16-2012, 09:48   #3
HerrGlock
CLM Number 2
Scouts Out

The only way my Golden would bite someone is if you pried her jaws apart, put your arm in and stepped on her nose.

That would be no, she wasn't a weapon. Big, low bark, yes but not a weapon.
HerrGlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 09:59   #4
Sharkey

Hell my pit mix expects me to protect her.
Old 08-16-2012, 10:01   #5
Drain You
NRA member

My dog, a weapon?

AHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA
Drain You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 10:05   #6
TheExplorer

All I can say is use your gun and not your dog. Many insurance companies now will drop you unless you get rid of it after an attack, justified or not. Once you're dropped, good luck finding insurance again since your dog is considered a liability. It has gotten much more stringent with insurance companies over years, beyond the certain breed ban even.
TheExplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 11:05   #7
milje

He might knock them over if they're not expecting to get jumped on, but then he'd just lick their face.

Last edited by milje; 08-16-2012 at 11:09..
milje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 12:14   #8
SJ 40

She may not be big in size but nobody sneaks up on her,I mean Nobody ! SJ 40
SJ 40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 12:31   #9
rednoved
NRA Member

My dogs aren't weapons, but they make pretty good alarms. They normally bark if someone is too close to the property or get near my vehicles. They even recognize the neighbors and seem to notice when someone doesn't belong.
rednoved is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 12:42   #10
OctoberRust
Anti-Federalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by rednoved View Post
My dogs aren't weapons, but they make pretty good alarms. They normally bark if someone is too close to the property or get near my vehicles. They even recognize the neighbors and seem to notice when someone doesn't belong.

This right here.

I wouldn't expect my dog/puppy to protect me. Even if he is an 85 lbs rottweiler puppy.
OctoberRust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 13:15   #11
Deye76

Yea my dog is weapon, he'll lick you to death. When my house got broken into, he held the flashlight for the burglar.
Deye76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 14:47   #12
Travelin' Jack
Misinformed

My dog will protect me against someone acting aggressively, especially in my our his home. I've seen him do it.

The problem is, he weighs ten pounds. I guess he's more of a .22LR kind of weapon.
Travelin' Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 15:12   #13
FL Airedale
Dog Breath

An A/C repair guy let himself in through the garage and 2 of my dogs cornered him and were acting aggressively. I didn't know they had that in them.

Fortunately, the guy kept his head and just stood there calmly. One of the dogs backed down when I told them he was okay. The other one I had to grab by the collar and drag outside. There was no harm done.

They'd seen this guy twice before on other days when I let him in the front door to check the A/C. The day he was replacing it, he let himself in through a different door. The dogs didn't like it.
I used to be a people person but people ruined that for me.
FL Airedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 17:30   #14
jtull7
Pistolero

Here is my ferocious weapon:

Carry Issues

Every day I face Ogden, Utah, and pray that God might bless John Moses Browning.

Outpost Member #69 I collect and shoot many fine firearms. CCW: NM, CT, and NH. N5JHT. WFR. Former LEO. SAR. Bilateral trans-tibial amputee. Survivor of bubonic plague. Tough sum-*****.
jtull7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 17:36   #15
DaneA

Yep. My boxer made a guy pee himself as he came towards my wife one day. 45lbs but enough to buy some time.
DaneA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 20:27   #16
FireForged
Millenium #3936

My dog is the family pet.. I am the one with the greatest responsibility to defend myself and do not rely on others or my dog to fill that roll. My dog can and may defend me but thats totally up to him.
Old 08-16-2012, 21:00   #17
wjv

<<<< 9 lbs of lethal weapon
If you're a frog or a grasshopper!

The urge to save humanity is almost always a false-face for the urge to rule it.
- H. L. Mencken -

Last edited by wjv; 08-16-2012 at 21:01..
wjv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 21:46   #18
SgtScott31

In most states the leash laws are strict liability laws. Meaning that if your dog is running at large and injures someone (or another animal), you are automatically held liable in civil court aside from any criminal charges that may be applicable. With that said, if they tear someone up in your own yard who's trespassing give him/her a good belly rub..lol
SgtScott31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 21:58   #19
parados

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin' Jack View Post
My dog will protect me against someone acting aggressively...The problem is, he weighs ten pounds. I guess he's more of a .22LR kind of weapon.

I know all about 10 lb dogs. She's the meanest one too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
parados is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 22:34   #20
Just_plinking

My girl is a 75lb boxer pup, and she's still growing. It seems whenever my girlfriend has a member of her family over, they insist on bringing a dog.

My dog doesn't appreciate this, and has made enough of an impression that none of her folks have brought dogs back on subsequent visits. (hey, i warned them in advance, what can you do).

She growls and barks at people who drive past, or pull up to the house, but If I give her a harsh look she crumbles (especially if she's been caught misbehaving)

I love her to death, and would never want her to have to protect me, she's part of my family, I want to protect her.

That being said, she's loyal, and based on her reactions to strangers I'm pretty sure she'd put up a fight. It seems like,in my experience, female dogs are a lot more protecive of their families. I wouldn't want to be on the dangerous end of her.

Here's apic of her
Carry Issues

Last edited by Just_plinking; 08-16-2012 at 22:44..
Just_plinking is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dog, dogs, no ccw gun