Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-09-2012, 00:06   #1
CJStudent
Fenced In

Send a message via AIM to CJStudent Send a message via Yahoo to CJStudent
Bad boots

So who else has had their boots fall apart in short order?

With my last boot voucher, I bought a pair of Under Armor Valsetz, which had a pretty good reputation among my coworkers. This was in April. Already, my right boot is starting to come apart, and I can feel EVERY little bit of gravel when I walk on it, or anything else uneven or sharp; no padding on the feet at all anymore. Oh, and the toecap sucks; I get better protection from my tennis shoes. I managed to smash the crap out of my big toe trying to get a door secured during count time today.

I think next time, I'm just going to go ahead and drop the cash to get a pair of Danner Acadias and be done with it.

Quote:
The first round is a moral decision. All of the following rounds are tactical decisions.
CJStudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 00:54   #2
socalchuckster

Look at the 5.11 XPRT boots. I love mine and they have been going strong for 4 years now. They have a kick toe in them also, which I love (I too am a door kicker like you). They are light weight like the Oakleys, but offer far superior water protection and ankle support. Best pair of boots I've ever own.
socalchuckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 02:19   #3
blueiron

American Danners. I had a pair of Rocky boots and they were worthless after six months.

Don't forget to ask how long people have had their boots. Just like new car owners, people tend to be happy with their new boots. The proof is how well they hold up after a year.
blueiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 05:10   #4
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJStudent View Post
Me. I bought 5.11 HRT desert boots before going to Afghanistan. Most comfortable boots I ever bought, but they weren't used that hard and were never wet and, within 3 months, the laces were tearing through the unreinforced eyelets and the leather above the heel had torn through for no reason. Pieces of ^*$%

I contacted 5.11 - they said they'd take care of it and had me send pictures...then they said they didn't get the pictures and had me send them again...then they quit responding to my emails and I never heard from them again.

I have never bought another 5.11 product and will not.

The Afghans gave me cheap ANA-issue boots from Kabul Mili (copies of Bellevilles, down to the logo) and they held up better than 5.11.

Last edited by Bren; 08-09-2012 at 05:12..
Bren is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 05:13   #5
collim1
Shower Time!

Several years ago the city cheaped out and bought us Bates. They didn't last long and were not very comfortable. We went back to Danner 6 months later.

Been wearing my current Danners for 1 year this month. They still got plenty of wear left in them. A little polish every week keeps them looking nice until they are worn out.
collim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 05:24   #6
DoogieHowser
Eh

5.11 Atac side zips for me, they typically last me 2-3yrs and they are as light as sneakers
Old 08-09-2012, 06:44   #7
Knute
"Nothin"

Stay away from Belleville boots. Had a pair fall apart very quickly on me. These were recommended to me by a buddy who I used to work with.

I pretty much stick to Bates now. I have found them to be very comfortable and have lasted years.
Knute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 06:49   #8
RyanNREMTP
Inactive/Banned

Currently been wearing a pair of I think Rockports for about 2 or 3 years. They have held up well. Probably be better looking if I shined them every now and then. I've had good luck with 5.11s as well. Another pair of their HRT ones will be my next pair. Now Hi-Tec Magnums only last a year with me before falling apart. The pair that I have right now only lasted this long because of the police academy and that now I only wear them at my reserve job which means once a week.
Old 08-09-2012, 07:39   #9
RocPO

I had 3 pairs of Magnum Spider boots go on me within 18 months. Each one had the same place it came apart, the stitching in the rear of the boot above heel. I bought a pair of 5.11 Xpert Tactical when LAPG had a sale. I haven't had a problem at all, and I've been using these since Feb. I also have a pair of Bates Ultralights that I use when the Captains are doing inspections.
RocPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 08:54   #10
merlynusn

I've had the Danner Stryker II for a year now. Still hold up very well. I just put inserts in to make them more comfortable. I was in a torrential downpour the other day and the only thing that was dry were my feet.

I'm not a fan of the 5.11 ATAC Storm, but they kept my feet dry in a downpour also.

The Bates I have usually only last a year or so because I wear out the sole.
merlynusn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 09:44   #11
CJStudent
Fenced In

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlynusn View Post
I've had the Danner Stryker II for a year now. Still hold up very well. I just put inserts in to make them more comfortable. I was in a torrential downpour the other day and the only thing that was dry were my feet.

I'm not a fan of the 5.11 ATAC Storm, but they kept my feet dry in a downpour also.

The Bates I have usually only last a year or so because I wear out the sole.
The only other pair of boots I've had really disintegrate on me were those Stryker IIs; the eyelets came out, the leather wore out on the toe quickly, etc. They looked like hell in short order, lol.

Now, I've actually had good luck with the 5.11 ATAC Storms, though I don't wear them usually because they don't clear the metal detector on my way in to work, which adds to the hassle of scanning in.

Quote:
The first round is a moral decision. All of the following rounds are tactical decisions.
Old 08-09-2012, 10:04   #12
HOTHEAD

I have never owned a pair of high end boots. In fact, I have been researching Danner Arcadia's lately. However, with that being said, I bought a pair of Caterpillar Alaska's from Sears,5 years ago. I have worn them every day for the last 5 years on concrete floors. I did put inserts in them, but as far as durability I would stand behind them 100%. Not so much as a stitch broken, until this year when I noticed that I had worn through part of the tread.

As I stated, I have never owned top tier boots, and will be buying a pair soon, after reading all the reviews about Danner. I just hope they live up to my expectations after owning the "cheap" pair of Caterpillars.

http://www.salepricemensshoesbestbuy...oof_Steel_Boot

Last edited by HOTHEAD; 08-09-2012 at 10:08..
HOTHEAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 11:21   #13
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knute View Post
Stay away from Belleville boots. Had a pair fall apart very quickly on me. These were recommended to me by a buddy who I used to work with.

I pretty much stick to Bates now. I have found them to be very comfortable and have lasted years.
Bates are the best boots and police shoes I've ever had.
Bren is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:31   #14
lawman800
Juris Glocktor

You know... we haven't talked about boots in this forum... ever... wonder why... it's such an important piece of gear for us. Glad this boot thread is here.

Oh, my Magnums last forever. I know it's not the latest and greatest and it sure ain't no Danners, but they work for me and have since the mid-90's.
lawman800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:34   #15
CJStudent
Fenced In

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawman800 View Post
You know... we haven't talked about boots in this forum... ever... wonder why... it's such an important piece of gear for us. Glad this boot thread is here.

Oh, my Magnums last forever. I know it's not the latest and greatest and it sure ain't no Danners, but they work for me and have since the mid-90's.
I know, right? I was a little bit perturbed at the time, though, lol.

Quote:
Old 08-10-2012, 09:37   #16
lawman800
Juris Glocktor

I've heard of some guys having failures with their 5.11 HRT boots in short order as well.
lawman800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 12:30   #17
Agent6-3/8

I'm currently wearing a pair of Bates Zero Mass boots. So far they're awesome, but I've only had them about a month. Very light and comfortable though.

For long lasting quality Danner is very hard to beat. I'm also a big fan or Corcoran's various cap toe jump boots.

Posted from my iPhone 4s via Outdoor Hub mobile

Last edited by Agent6-3/8; 08-10-2012 at 12:30..
Agent6-3/8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 12:41   #18
IrishSheepdog54

There is no perfect brand of boots. Ever.

I have Danner Acadias that I'm breaking in now, and they're great boots. However, they're also heavy. Haven't worn them in a foot pursuit yet.

I have 5.11 Taclite boots. Very comfortable, breathable, and have held up fairly well. I don't feel like my feet are that protected though.

I have UA Tactical Gym Shoes (whatever they're called). Comfortable, extremely breathable, but offer no protection. Plus they look dumb.

I had the 5.11 ATAC boots. Lightweight, decent comfort, but would hurt my feet after about 5-6 hours. Would always come untied. Don't seem like they would be very durable, since they were coming apart after a few months.

I had Magnum Viper boots, and they were crap. My feet would sweat in winter, and white salt stains would form at the seams. Nasty. Also fell apart quickly in the winter.

I had Bates Ultra Lights, 6" boots. Hurt my feet like hell, even with Dr Scholls inserts. Started looking like crap after a few months, even when I tried to shine them up.

I had UA Speedfreek boots. Very hot; made my feet sweat a lot. Comfortable. Weird sole that would make your foot "roll" on the toe... Hard to explain, but I didn't like it.

My vote? Get Danner Acadias. Even though they're heavy, they'll protect your feet and your ankles. After the lengthy break-in period, they're comfortable. Accept the fact you may lose a foot pursuit versus a 17 year old kid wearing gym shoes.

I should have bought the Acadias a long time ago, and saved myself all the agony of spending lots of money on crap boots!!!
IrishSheepdog54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 13:12   #19
Kadetklapp
Methberry PD

I have never owned high-end boots. Just cannot afford. However, last winter I bought some Rockys waterproof side zips with a real nice "showroom shine" on them. Gave them a try. They polished better than any boot I've ever had. However, in six weeks of courthouse and reserve use, the zipper snap broke clean off of one and the sole started to separate on the other. I warrantied them in even exchange but the new ones don't shine up as nice, have some sort of grey haze.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
Kadetklapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 13:48   #20
Ftttu

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJStudent View Post

With my last boot voucher, I bought a pair of Under Armor Valsetz, which had a pretty good reputation among my coworkers. This was in April. Already, my right boot is starting to come apart, and I can feel EVERY little bit of gravel when I walk on it, or anything else uneven or sharp; no padding on the feet at all anymore. Oh, and the toecap sucks; I get better protection from my tennis shoes. I managed to smash the crap out of my big toe trying to get a door secured during count time today.

I think next time, I'm just going to go ahead and drop the cash to get a pair of Danner Acadias and be done with it.
I wear Valsetz mostly at night and I only recommend them to those who only care about comfort and foot pursuits but not for any type of protection. I've had them getting close to a year and they are still together. During day shift(when I wear my straw uniform hat), I wear Magnum Stealth Force quarter high/zipper side boots which have stayed intact for the last few years.

Last edited by Ftttu; 08-10-2012 at 13:50.. Reason: spelling
Ftttu is offline   Reply With Quote