Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-21-2014, 21:26   #1
plumbum2

Who's got the .45 gap?.......

I'm almost ashamed to admit this but for some disgusting reason I am contemplating a 45gap.... Full size.

After owning a .357 sig I swore I would never own a boutique caliber again after the normal pitfalls that are associated with it. Ammo selection, pricier, etc.
BUT I really like the idea of .45 "power" in the medium frame.

So what do you think? Yeah or nay

Last edited by plumbum2; 02-21-2014 at 21:27..
plumbum2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 21:29   #2
bac1023

Go for it...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 21:37   #3
plumbum2

After just looking at the specs one thing I'm not getting is how come the g37 only holds 10rds? Compared to the g21's 13 rds? I didn't think the width of the frame made that much difference? Only thing I can think of
Old 02-21-2014, 21:37   #4
glock2740
Gun lover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bac1023 View Post
Go for it...
While I agree, I've NEVER seen a GAP mag in a gun shop. I've seen VERY FEW boxes of ammo. And trust me, I go in more gun stores, and in more towns than 99.9% of the people on here. (My job keeps me on the road a lot). I can name 2 out of several dozen+ gun shops that even had or had ever had a GAP Glock in their shop. And those stores had ONE. I've seen ammo in a gun shop only a very limited few shops as well. NOT dissing the round/gun. I'm a Glock "fan boy". But having to get most everything from the web, is silly IMO. And even then, there's not that much out there available. Good luck.
glock2740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 21:41   #5
plumbum2

I think my thread is already dead!! Lmao. Besides availability, I can't cope with even less rds than the g21 at 13. 10 rd in a full size gun is pathetic .
Old 02-21-2014, 21:41   #6
S*****4

Why bother with the Glock 37 & the .45GAP when Glock makes the G30S chambered in the much more popular .45ACP??

Handle one.

It'll win you over!!
S*****4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 21:49   #7
biscotrip

I love my g37 almost more than my 23c. And plenty of ammo online for it if you cant find locally.
biscotrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 22:19   #8
Butch
CLM Number 29
RetiredDinosaur

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumbum2 View Post
After just looking at the specs one thing I'm not getting is how come the g37 only holds 10rds? Compared to the g21's 13 rds? I didn't think the width of the frame made that much difference?
Apparently it does....

General Glocking

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

U.S. Army-MNNG 73-83 95 Bravo
NRA Patron Member
When wondering who's advise to consider, check their profile to see if they have posted anything about their training or experience.
Butch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 22:25   #9
Butch
CLM Number 29
RetiredDinosaur

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscotrip View Post
I love my g37 almost more than my 23c.
Agreed.

For the last 12 years of my career the G23 was my issued duty gun, and it was ok, but since I retired my carry Glock has been this one:
General Glocking

NRA Patron Member
When wondering who's advise to consider, check their profile to see if they have posted anything about their training or experience.
Old 02-21-2014, 22:32   #10
Butch
CLM Number 29
RetiredDinosaur

Quote:
10 rd in a full size gun is pathetic .
There are some folks around who would argue that point! Bac?
General Glocking
General Glocking

NRA Patron Member
Old 02-21-2014, 22:39   #11
plumbum2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch View Post
There are some folks around who would argue that point! Bac?
General Glocking
General Glocking
lol. You got me on that one. I should have said double stack.

I'm up in the air. I have large skinny hands so a g21 might be in the picture
Old 02-21-2014, 22:46   #12
CDW4ME

This started as a thread about my Glock 39, but I added 38 data on page 2
http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1519749
Old 02-21-2014, 23:11   #13
Benton

plumbum2
The Gunny loves the .45 GAP. He has been in a lot of movies. Made a lot of money, so the price of .45 GAP ammo is undoubtedly not a concern for him. If it's not a concern for you say versus the .45 Auto. then go for it.

Past test and comparisons of the two calibers have shown them both to be equal.

And in some tests the .45 GAP had a slight edge.
Benton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 23:28   #14
Beanie-Bean

Great gun! I load my own ammo, so I really don't worry about what to shoot through my GAP pistols. I do carry Gold Dot 200 gr. though.

Last time I shot this round, I got 1200+ fps with 185 gr. XTP over Longshot. Really did some damage to the hard drives I was shooting that day

General Glocking

Last edited by Beanie-Bean; 02-21-2014 at 23:28..
Beanie-Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 05:25   #15
Roger1079

Quote:
I'm almost ashamed to admit this but for some disgusting reason I am contemplating a 45gap.... Full size.

After owning a .357 sig I swore I would never own a boutique caliber again after the normal pitfalls that are associated with it. Ammo selection, pricier, etc.
BUT I really like the idea of .45 "power" in the medium frame.

So what do you think? Yeah or nay
Let me tell you, I took a good long look at the G39. It did have all of the things I was looking for in a .45 (A true subcompact frame in a large caliber). At the time, I knew nothing about 45 GAP so I started reading. My first stop was looking at ballistics. I was pleased to find that in many tests, the GAP performed nearly equal, equal in most cases, and with certain brands better than .45 ACP. After reading several comparisons I was sold.......until I started looking in local stores, both gun and department stores for .45 GAP. This was the deal breaker for me.

Only one gun store local to me had anything and it was only one box of Winchester White Box and a single box of defensive ammo (can't remember what brand anymore). I couldn't even find anything at Bass Pro Shops which literally has aisles of ammo. With .45ACP being plentiful at every place I went, my mind was made up. I will not own a pistol that I need to either reload for or order ammo online. One of my necessities is to be able to walk into a store and get what I need.

The GAP caliber was a good idea that just never gained any traction short of a few sporatic Law Enforcement agencies picking them up, some of which have since switched back to more mainstream calibers. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear that .45 GAP will ever gain the acceptance that it needs to make ammo and pistols for that matter readily available.

Long story short, I ended up buying a non SF Gen3 G30 as it was the closest I could get with a Glock in .45. I now have what I was originally looking for from Kimber in 2 Officer size 1911's.

If having to POSSIBLY mail order ammo (not sure how supply is in other places than South FL) or reload to be able to shoot it is not a problem, then go for it. I would have in that case. Price was not a concern if I could have something I wanted the way I wanted it. For God sake, I have a .50AE Desert Eagle and a 4" barrel S&W 500. Fortunately for me, those calibers are readily available however ungodly expensive.

I'm done rambling now, just wanted to share my opinion, which of course is worth what you paid for it. Good luck with your choice.

Last edited by Roger1079; 02-22-2014 at 05:28..
Roger1079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 05:35   #16
engineer151515

Love my G37. Since 2004.

Coming up on a decade now.
engineer151515 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 06:25   #17
ede
Bama's Friend

I had. Pair of 37s, 38, and 39 for playing games. Loved them but had a hard time leaving 500 pieces of brass on the ground and switched back to .40. For games I'd pick something else and for carry its a .357 Sig.
PM Black Diamond 538 F&AM
Bamatrooper taught Chuck Norris how to shoot.
ede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 08:24   #18
dbarry

Got a G37. It's a nice 45. I bought it because I got a great deal on it. It's a nice shooter. Few coffee cans full of brass, don't need to worry about ammo.
dbarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 09:14   #19
Firecop203

I have two of them.

Ammo is not a problem. I've gotten some good deals from others who thought they were buying ACP and didn't read the labels.

I reload and have two 5 gallon buckets of GAP brass so that's not a problem.

Magazines can be found with a simple google.

Parts are available at several sources on the internet.
“Neither cold, nor darkness will deter good people from hastening to the dreadful place to quench the flame. They do it not for the sake of reward or fame; but they have a reward in themselves, and they love one another.”
Benjamin Franklin
Firecop203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 10:09   #20
AgentM79
Platinum Membership

I own a Sig P220 in .45ACP, a G37 and a G39. I previously owned a G30 and a G21. Here's my thinking. I'm duty-bound to the 9mm round in a Glock 19 or 26. I lose no sleep over my agency's caliber, because we use Winchester Ranger SXT 124gr. +P. I have very-long been a fan of the ergonomics and handling of Glock 9mm handguns - the guns fit my hand perfectly, and shooting accuracy/recoil control/handling (what I, myself, can do with the gun) exceed all other guns I have used over the years (S&W K and L, Beretta 92G, and S&W 3913/6906). The Glock "GAP" guns give me .45 caliber in the same exact frame as 9mm. The "fat" slide on the GAP guns contributes to balance and recoil control. The GAP gives me 9mm+P muzzle energy in a round that's .09-caliber larger (.36 vs. .45), and 76gr. heavier (200gr Speer Gold Dot). The magazines load easily (even 6-round .45 GAP mags) and insert slide-forward easily (try that with some new G30 mags). And, unlike the ACP Glock pistols I've owned, the GAP guns never malfunction.

The 45ACP is a great round (like I said, I own a P220), and will exceed the ballistics of a Glock GAP if +P rounds are used. However, handgun performance and utility is not merely a numbers game involving relative capacity, energy, and velocity. It also involves a "human engineering" factor which enables a given shooter to maximize their potential relative to model and caliber of weapon. .45GAP gives the larger caliber to shooters regardless of hand size. No matter what anyone says, a G30/G30S/G30SF/G30Gen4, or a G21/G21SF/G21Gen4, still have larger grip dimensions than their GAP counterparts. And, the jury hasn't even convened yet on the handling, reliability, and durability characteristics of "narrow slide" .45ACP Glock pistols.

The Glock 19 is one of the most popular Glock pistols for a reason. The G38 gives shooters that exact frame in .45 caliber. Not a G30-frame with a two-finger grip and a finger-pinching separation for a magazine base for the third finger.

There's no "hate" here on my part for ACP Glock pistols. I'm looking at the 30S myself, and might even buy one. But, I'm already VERY happy with my new G39. The handling of this gun is superb (far better than my previous G30), and I can use my G38 mags as spares. This is the exact .45-caliber replacement setup for the G19/G26 my agency uses. Practice with 9mm is practice with the .45 for all intents and purposes.

I'm the type of shooter who GAP was built for. At this point, GAP is still carried by four State Police agencies. It's a GREAT round, and arguably a .45 optimized for the Glock platform. I personally see the G38/G39 as optimal LE sidearms. They strike the perfect balance of power, reliability, capacity (relative to size), durability, and "human engineering".
AgentM79 is online now   Reply With Quote