Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Closed Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 20:08   #1
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

How much ammo do you have?

Topic ^. How much ammo do you have? How much do you want (semi-realistically)? Exact numbers definitely not necessary, but order of magnitude/approximation would be appreciated.

"More than I need, not nearly as much as I want" is assumed, no real use posting that.

LG1, you are exempt from this.

I haven't really had any idea how much ammo I had for awhile now. I finally picked up a calculator and walked around the house + checked my index cards and got an approximated guestimate. It wasn't as much as I was hoping. I guess I shoot too much of it.

I'm at ~16,000 rounds of centerfire and ~20,000 rounds of .22lr. Or something like that. Thought I had more. And I'm going through it pretty quickly now, and will go through a good bit the remainder of this season. And I don't plan on buying much more for awhile now.

Obviously this isn't a "how many rounds do you need to make it through SHTF". For me it isn't even "how many rounds do you need for TEOTWAWKI". I'm sure I have more ammo than I could use before succumbing to enemy fire, disease, infection, whatever.

This is more about being able to continue shooting even if ammo gets very expensive, regulated, hard to acquire, etc.

Asked another way: How many years worth of ammo do you think you have, given normal shooting/practice/training??

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)

Last edited by Warp; 08-06-2012 at 20:11..
Old 08-06-2012, 20:15   #2
mac66
Plant the seed

I heard someone say to think about how much you need and then double that. Think about it again and then double that and you are half way there.
Old 08-06-2012, 20:18   #3
SFCSMITH(RET)

2 bullets, 1 shot shell. I believe in the three gun theory of home defense.
Old 08-06-2012, 20:20   #4
Walk Soft

I bought nine cases of 115gr.9mm last year.Just ordered two more.Right now I have none.I try to stock up but can't.Same goes for 5.56.
Old 08-06-2012, 20:28   #5
JohnnyReb
Lifetime Membership

Probably 3,000 center fire pistol, 2,500 rifle, 1,000 shotshells, and 2,000 22lr.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Last edited by JohnnyReb; 08-06-2012 at 20:28..
Old 08-06-2012, 20:29   #6
TheExplorer

I treat it like caulk. I buy it when I need it. Neither are going anywhere anytime soon that I need to panic.
Old 08-06-2012, 20:33   #7
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheExplorer View Post
I treat it like caulk. I buy it when I need it. Neither are going anywhere anytime soon that I need to panic.
You must not have needed any "caulk" about 3 years ago.

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)

Last edited by Warp; 08-06-2012 at 20:33..
Old 08-06-2012, 20:34   #8
Walk Soft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warp View Post
You must not have needed any "caulk" about 3 years ago.
Old 08-06-2012, 20:34   #9
simotek

I have maybe 2k of center fire on hand now. No where near enough. I need to buy some more and get into reloading. I'd like to have at least 10k rounds of every caliber I shoot on hand. I probably get through 6-8k a year depending on my shooting schedule.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Old 08-06-2012, 20:34   #10
thesurefire

Compared to most I have very little ammo. That said I think I have enough to last me till the day I die if needed. Hopefully I'll continue to shoot regularly and can just replace what I use up.

I'm really considering adding a couple pellet rifles to train people on just for the ammo price.
Old 08-06-2012, 20:35   #11
janice6
Platinum Membership
NRA

Not enough, never enough, need more........never enough!

Exactly how much, is irrelevant.

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". Anonymous

Earp: Not everyone who knows you hates you.
DOC: I know it ain't always easy bein' my friend....but I'll BE THERE when you need me.
Old 08-06-2012, 20:36   #12
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesurefire View Post
Compared to most I have very little ammo. That said I think I have enough to last me till the day I die if needed. Hopefully I'll continue to shoot regularly and can just replace what I use up.

I'm really considering adding a couple pellet rifles to train people on just for the ammo price.
Bulk .22lr is so inexpensive though. Great for new shooters and getting inexpensive practice in.

Old 08-06-2012, 20:39   #13
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Reloading: Partial points for having every last supply (and of course equipment) necessary to load a certain number of rounds. Counts less than completed ammo, though, because it takes time and effort by the right person to make it usable and there is a lot more room for unforeseen events to get in the way of reloading ammo than of opening an ammo can to get what you need.

I am just getting into reloading but did not count my components, which would be thousands of rounds. (bullets the limiting factor there ATM)

Old 08-06-2012, 20:40   #14
John Rambo
Raven

Quote:
Bulk .22lr is so inexpensive though. Great for new shooters and getting inexpensive practice in.
Inexpensive? Its more expensive than its ever been! I used to pick up bricks for like 6 dollars at Walmart. Sure wish I would've stockpiled on ammo before now. I mean stockpiled. Not because I want to stockpile them...because that would have been one hell of a business investment.
Old 08-06-2012, 20:41   #15
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Rambo View Post
Inexpensive? Its more expensive than its ever been! I used to pick up bricks for like 6 dollars at Walmart. Sure wish I would've stockpiled on ammo before now. I mean stockpiled. Not because I want to stockpile them...because that would have been one hell of a business investment.
Yes, it is more expensive than ever. But a single brick that's what, on the order of $20 (or less? Haven't bought it in awhile) will go a full weekend at an Appleseed.

~$20 for 500+ rounds...that is inexpensive.

The 5.56 I just bought...$20 gets about 60 rounds.

Last edited by Warp; 08-06-2012 at 20:42..
Old 08-06-2012, 21:43   #16
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

I look at it like this...

500 rounds of premium JHP for pistol will probably last me a lifetime (i.e. If I have to use it to defend myself I will never live long enough to use it up.)

I figure one battle load for the rifle will do me also. (lets say 300 rounds)

Now for practice. I decided on 10K of ammo for each rifle as a stopping point.
Old 08-06-2012, 21:53   #17
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWBlue View Post
I look at it like this...

500 rounds of premium JHP for pistol will probably last me a lifetime (i.e. If I have to use it to defend myself I will never live long enough to use it up.)

I figure one battle load for the rifle will do me also. (lets say 300 rounds)

But what about rotating your carry ammo every X period of time?

Maybe replacing your carry gun, or a part or parts within your carry gun, and wishing to re-test it's reliability with the JHP?

Adding guns to your carry rotation and testing them with the JHP?

Old 08-06-2012, 22:22   #18
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

Quote:
But what about rotating your carry ammo every X period of time?

Maybe replacing your carry gun, or a part or parts within your carry gun, and wishing to re-test it's reliability with the JHP?

Adding guns to your carry rotation and testing them with the JHP?
First off, I don't really use that much of the premium ammo.

Israeli carry method means that round 1 doesn't get chambered and unchambered that often. If I had a gun that I was not comfortable using Israeli carry....I would probably leave it loaded all the time.

I developed a testing methodology that doesn't use that much ammo.

Additionally, I bought more than 500 rounds for pistol and 300 rounds of rifle. That is just my minimal amount to keep on hand.
If/when I ever get short on my SHTF pile, there will more than likely be a better premium ammo.

I am also not thinking just one cartridge. I like 9mm and 45. I like 7.62x39 and 5.56 and 308 and 30-06 and ...

If you are trying to go cheap, the minimum could be a full battle load of premium. Then what ever you need to practice and test. You will probably not run out of premium ammo and still be standing.

I will add something else to the conversation. I reload. I reload cheap platted bullets for my hand guns. These cheap PHP bullets are not bad in gel.

I have been shot before. It sucks. Getting shot in a SHTF is going to suck worse. I would rather avoid a fight if I can. I am sure the bad guys would rather find someone who isn't going to shoot back.
Old 08-07-2012, 01:15   #19
lawman800
Juris Glocktor

Don't have anything on accurate count of totals... but for the main calibers, I would say more than 3-4k of 5.56mm and maybe half that in 9mm. The rest, say like 00 buck or slugs, or birdshot or 45cal or other rounds, anywhere from a few hundred to a thousand each.

I know, I know... I am ill prepared and will die within two hours in any firefight which I find myself in when the time comes.
Old 08-07-2012, 06:38   #20
SFCSMITH(RET)

Quote:
Yes, it is more expensive than ever. But a single brick that's what, on the order of $20 (or less? Haven't bought it in awhile) will go a full weekend at an Appleseed.

~$20 for 500+ rounds...that is inexpensive.

The 5.56 I just bought...$20 gets about 60 rounds.

My guess is, that when YOU get older, you will look back when the newer, young shooters say "$100 for a brick.. heck that's cheap, and I know a place that does the DNA/background check quick" and laugh.. just as I am now.

When I was a 9-10 year old kid, I could walk in the local hardware store, with $2 in my pocket, and buy a brick, (500 boxed rounds), AND an RC cola and a moon pie.

And actually, when I "stocked up" on 5.56, a "Benjamin" got you a 1000 round case... You don't even want to hear about the bulk 30-06 surplus I bought from the CMP 35 years ago...

Closed Thread