SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-10-2012, 02:24   #61
WinterWizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiro Fijo View Post
That clown was outed as a 'whacker' years ago on the Internet. It's total bogus BS.
You have a source for that, or is it just something you heard?
WinterWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 02:42   #62
JW1178

9mm fans love gel testing because that's where the 9mm looks good, but not so much in the real world. About deflection, the 9mm is a lighter bullet, and the lighter objects are going to absorb impact more while the heavier object is likely to stay in motion. Kind of like a car vs. a SUV, even if the car is going faster, if it hits something, it will more likely deflect than the SUV that will just about plow through it. The 9mm isn't being replaced in LE because of it can't get the job done, but it fails too much.

Like said before, FMJ is not a good choice in SD. It very will might kill them, but it might take some time. The JHP will deliver all that energy in destruction and that will stop your BG faster and weaken him when trying to attack you.
JW1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 07:25   #63
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW1178 View Post
9mm fans love gel testing because that's where the 9mm looks good, but not so much in the real world.
False.

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)
Warp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 07:55   #64
Glockbuster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warp View Post
False.

+1, amazing nonsense.
Glockbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 14:40   #65
Glock19Fan
Cool Guy

Gelatin has no bias. To say that it makes the 9mm look good is rediculous.
Old 08-10-2012, 14:52   #66
Poohgyrr
trout fear me!

Ball can work, it has for quite a while. Placement does count though.

Using ball depends on your circumstances.

The real round though, is this one:

Caliber Corner
John Luke 22:36 Ephesians 4:26-32
357Sig Club #3531 S&W Club #10 BHP Club #35
"Life brings both sorrows and joys alike. It is what a man does with them - not what they do to him - that is the true test of his mettle." T. Roosevelt
Poohgyrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 18:59   #67
Tiro Fijo

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterWizard View Post
You have a source for that, or is it just something you heard?

Quote:
Yeah, he's a real person all right. He's a forensic anthropologist with the Georgia Bureau of Investigation. Not a Medical Examiner. Not a Medical Doctor. Not a Pathologist. Not a "Mortician".

His claimed/implied numbers of autopsies are exaggerated (based upon UCR data and annual death reports for Georgia) and gun fatalities make up only a fraction of them, although he implied greater numbers. And as he admitted in his "report", the real ME often can't tell what handgun caliber was used to create a wound, unless the bullet was physically recovered.

He originally posted over at Smith & Wesson Forums, but was never willing to answer questions, respond to debate, or answer queries on that forum (nor on several others). He got called out on some facts and "disappeared".

Deadmeat2 is:

http://www.state.ga.us/gbi/pathology/bios.html

"Dr. Frederick Snow graduated from Georgia State University in Atlanta, GA with a B.A in 1970. He served as a patrolman for the Dekalb County Police Department from 1973 to 1980. Dr. Snow enrolled as a graduate student at the University of Tennessee in Knoxville, Tennessee and received a master's degree in anthropology in 1989. He joined the Georgia Bureau of Investigation in 2002 and earned a Ph.D. in anthropology from the University of Tennessee in 2004.

Dr. Snow has extensive field experience in the identification of remains from mass grave/disaster sites. Internationally, he served as a forensic anthropologist for the UN War Crimes Tribunal for Kosovo in 1999, helping to determine manner of death and gain evidence for the indictment of war criminals. He also excavated mass graves for the International Commission on Missing Persons in Sarajevo and Herzegovina, Bosnia to recover evidence for use at the UN War Crimes Tribunal at The Hague in 2001. Finally, Dr. Snow served in an administrative role for the tsunami victims identification project in 2005 in ****et, Thailand. Domestically, he was part of the Disaster Mortuary Operational Response Team (DMORT), in Noble, Georgia in 2002, and helped recover and identify remains from 326 individuals at the Tri-State Crematory.

At the Georgia Bureau of Investigation, Dr. Snow has collected, analyzed, and archived approximately 200 sets of unidentified human skeletal remains dating to 1969. "
http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/i.../t-627640.html
Tiro Fijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 23:07   #68
CanyonMan
In The Saddle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poohgyrr View Post
Ball can work, it has for quite a while. Placement does count though.

Using ball depends on your circumstances.

The real round though, is this one:

Caliber Corner

I don't know if this is your gun or not amigo, but it is very sweet !

CM

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Jesus said: You who are without sin cast the first stone.. John 8: 7
CanyonMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 02:06   #69
fredj338

Quote:
Now you're getting ridiculous. Even the shot placement crowd usually talks about a high center-mass POA/POI, not a cranial vault shot.

That .22lr would have to adequately penetrate. I haven't done a lot of research into .22lr for defensive use, but it seems to me that .22lr does not adequately penetrate. Do you know of a .22lr that, out of a handgun, reliably penetrates 12"+ in gel? If so, could you please aware me?

Even then, handguns are weak and ineffective as a general rule. Even with perfect (high center mass) shot placement and 'perfect' penetration (bullet just barely falls out a hole on the other side) it still might take multiple shots and some length of time to stop the attacker.

Shot placement is king, penetration is queen.
OF course I am being ridiculous, that is the point. The shot placement crowd is NOT always talking high COM, many talk head shots. Anyone that have ever done any serious shooting knows a head shot is a gift, not something to count on. Even COM hits can't be counted on in a dymanic gunfight, so you are left with making holes. Either a lot of smaller ones or fewer bigger ones. The entire point of JHP in a 9mm is to make the hole bigger so the round is more effective. That really hasn't changed much over 100yrs. It's how we ended up w/ a 45acp as our service round & not a 9mm in 1911.
BTW, just about any 22lr solid makes 12" of penetration, we were talking solids right? No serious study of terminal balistics is going to say that a 22lr that reaches 12" is the same as a 9mm or 45acp.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".

Last edited by fredj338; 08-11-2012 at 02:07..
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 03:07   #70
K00R

22LR will do some nasty things point blank. It's been called assassin's caliber of choice. Just enough power to enter the skull point blank. Not enough power to come out.

The military used .45 ACP when we weren't having to punch through body armor. When fighting enemies in body armor came into play a switch to 9mm was made, it penetrates better.

Now that we're back to fighting enemies with no body armor again the military is crying to switch back to .45 ACP.

Last edited by K00R; 08-11-2012 at 03:12..
K00R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 08:31   #71
Brucev

Re: OP. Ball is just fine for SD. The cognizant don't like it because it's not the flavor of the day JHP. So what? Ball will put holes in everything that needs a hole, if the one pulling the trigger does he/her part. And, it is hole in things like organs, plumbing, etc. in the human body that settles criminals down. Energy transfer, shock, etc. with pistol calibers is just a lot of advertising hype. If one is truly concerned that a JHP will not reliably open in a potential situation, then just load up with ball and be done with it. In fact, just load up a nice 1911 or S&W 625-2 w/ some nice 230 gr. FMJ's and you'll be set for just about anything. The only reason the U.S. went to a 9mm was due to politics, specifically politics in nato and U.S./old europe relations... and the need to accommodate the little hands of women and other little people.
Brucev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 08:39   #72
Zombie Steve
Decap Pin Killa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucev View Post
Re: OP. Ball is just fine for SD. The cognizant don't like it because it's not the flavor of the day JHP. So what? Ball will put holes in everything that needs a hole, if the one pulling the trigger does he/her part. And, it is hole in things like organs, plumbing, etc. in the human body that settles criminals down. Energy transfer, shock, etc. with pistol calibers is just a lot of advertising hype. If one is truly concerned that a JHP will not reliably open in a potential situation, then just load up with ball and be done with it. In fact, just load up a nice 1911 or S&W 625-2 w/ some nice 230 gr. FMJ's and you'll be set for just about anything. The only reason the U.S. went to a 9mm was due to politics, specifically politics in nato and U.S./old europe relations... and the need to accommodate the little hands of women and other little people.
Amen.

I shoot the snot out of tc cast lead, and would prefer a flat point over a round nose, but there just isn't a 230 grain load out there I'd feel bad about if it runs the gun.

Caliber Corner
Zombie Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 09:15   #73
ronin.45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentguy View Post
I'd go with the 9mm... Come on you guys... don't be a hater

My CCW is a G26 and in my night-stand is a G19, I like that caliber and I am very fimiliar with how it will work coming out of my pistols.

As far as FMJ is concerned, it would not be my round of choice in a self defense situation, however it will get the job done if pressed into service.

Alan
Well said.
Old 08-11-2012, 09:49   #74
CanyonMan
In The Saddle

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
OF course I am being ridiculous, that is the point. The shot placement crowd is NOT always talking high COM, many talk head shots. Anyone that have ever done any serious shooting knows a head shot is a gift, not something to count on. Even COM hits can't be counted on in a dymanic gunfight, so you are left with making holes. Either a lot of smaller ones or fewer bigger ones. The entire point of JHP in a 9mm is to make the hole bigger so the round is more effective. That really hasn't changed much over 100yrs. It's how we ended up w/ a 45acp as our service round & not a 9mm in 1911.
BTW, just about any 22lr solid makes 12" of penetration, we were talking solids right? No serious study of terminal balistics is going to say that a 22lr that reaches 12" is the same as a 9mm or 45acp.

Good word amigo !

CM

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Old 08-11-2012, 10:08   #75
CanyonMan
In The Saddle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucev View Post

Now your talking amigo. I been on here saying this for years, but hardly a soul is havin any ! Those big 230gr chunks bust through breast plates/ribs/and all manner of what ever the heck is in the way, and splinter bone into vital organs and do far more damage than folks truly know. FMJFP's do an even better job, and I roll my own for carry 99% of the time any way. I carry JHP's every now and then, and honestly, it's when I am out of my FMJ's for being outside shooting them ! ha.

Good post pard !

I'm going to stick ole Steve on here with ya as well...

Quote:
Amen.
I shoot the snot out of tc cast lead, and would prefer a flat point over a round nose, but there just isn't a 230 grain load out there I'd feel bad about if it runs the gun.

I sat up a few minutes last night and loaded up a few of these for the ole .45...

Caliber Corner

I like these, and their good for out here at the ranch, but for going to town EDC, I just can't get away from my old favorite 230gr FMJ's in a 45acp !

Good post amigo's...!

CM

Last edited by CanyonMan; 08-11-2012 at 10:16..
Old 08-12-2012, 19:41   #76
brokenprism

If in addition to the calibers we're also limited to the guns you mentioned (G19 and 5" 1911) then I -- who am normally a 45 guy -- have to pause and reflect. There's a big difference in capacity here. In the 70s when I started shooting, the 9 was a horror story. Cops emptied Hi Powers into guys who kept coming until a partner's 12 gauge punctuated the gunfight sentence. I have always (sarcastically) theorized that 9mm service guns had high capacity magazines not because they could -- but because you were gonna need 'em all. But in this hypotechical case, you sort of have to consider the capacity element. It's twice as much. And I still say .45.
brokenprism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 21:25   #77
MGman

Yes FMJ is fine for self defense especially if you pistol doesn't feed JHP properly.

My Kahr CM9 doesn't feed well with Gold Dot JHPs. The profile is larger and touches the slide release lever thereby causing premature slide lockback. FMJs tend to have "pointer" profiles and therefore leave space between the bullet tip and the slide release lever.

The military uses FMJ (I know because of the Geneva convention or something or other about international guidelines of warfare)
Point is..it gets the job done though for them.

As far as 1911's, most work best with FMJ. I only use FMJ .45ACP for mine.

And then there is the penetration argument..dry wall, neighbor collateral damage etc etc.
A bullet any bullet stands a good chance of going through a flimsy drywall you can't convince me otherwise.

Remember just because its a JHP doesn't guarantee I'll expand as advertised.

So the wrap up...
Is FMJ fine for selfdefense? YES!

I challenge anyone that discredits FMJ to take a 9mm FMJ to the chest with only a T-shirt on from 10 yards out. Let me know if it works or not, I'd be curious.

Oh, and it may not be a 1 stop shot, but man...you're gonna give those doctors a workout!

Last edited by MGman; 08-12-2012 at 21:31.. Reason: more to add
MGman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 21:28   #78
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGman View Post
Yes FMJ is fine for self defense especially if you pistol doesn't feed JHP properly.

My Kahr CM9 doesn't feed well with Gold Dot JHPs. The profile is larger and touches the slide release lever thereby causing premature slide lockback. FMJs tend to have "pointer" profiles and therefore leave space between the bullet tip and the slide release lever.

The military uses FMJ (I know because of the Geneva convention or something or other about international guidelines of warfare)
Point is..it gets the job done though for them.

As far as 1911's, most work best with FMJ. I only use FMJ .45ACP for mine.

And then there is the penetration argument..dry wall, neighbor collateral damage etc etc.
A bullet any bullet stands a good chance of going through a flimsy drywall you can't convince me otherwise.

Remember just because its a JHP doesn't guarantee I'll expand as advertised.

So the wrap up...
Is FMJ fine for selfdefense? YES!

I challenge anyone that discredits FMJ to take a 9mm FMJ to the chest from 10 yards out. Let me know if it works or not, I'd be curious.
Get a better gun?

I challenge you to take a .22lr to the chest at 10 yards. Let me know if it works or not, I'd be curious.

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)

Last edited by Warp; 08-12-2012 at 21:29..
Old 08-12-2012, 21:34   #79
MGman

Quote:
Get a better gun?

I challenge you to take a .22lr to the chest at 10 yards. Let me know if it works or not, I'd be curious.
Not saying don't use JHP I'm simply answering the OP question.

FMJ is fine for self-defense.

And no, I wouldn't even want to be shot in the chest with a BB gun let alone a 22lr.

Pain is no fun. (not to me anyhow, YMMV)

Last edited by MGman; 08-12-2012 at 21:36..
MGman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 21:44   #80
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGman View Post
Not saying don't use JHP I'm simply answering the OP question.

FMJ is fine for self-defense.

And no, I wouldn't even want to be shot in the chest with a BB gun let alone a 22lr.

Pain is no fun. (not to me anyhow, YMMV)
Which is why the whole "Think it isn't effective for self defense? Well then, go stand in front of it" thing is so bogus.

BTW: If you stand in front of a .22lr to the chest at 10 yards you are looking at a very real possibility of death, not simply pain.