SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-05-2012, 21:35   #1
deerhuntr88
OD Green G19

Planning a 10-22 custom build.

I'm throwing around the idea of custom making my own 10-22, as I think I can get exactly what I want by buying all the parts separate as opposed to buying a gun, then changing everything on it. Here's what I want:

- 18"-20" Fluted Bull Barrel (threaded)
- Flash suppressor
- Buying action separately
- Stock: still undecided as there are so many to choose from (any suggestions? links?) I'm thinking tactical here.

Here are a few questions I have:

Has anyone noticed any difference in velocity for 20" barrel as opposed to an 18"?

Is there a real improvement on accuracy with the longer barrel given the small round?

Where can I find Stocks to fit a bull barrel? I'm looking for something AR-style or Tactical Sniper. Not sure which yet.

Anyone know where to buy just the action/trigger assembly/receiver? I know a guy and I may just have to check with him. Or call Ruger.

The reason I want to do a fluted bull barrel is this: My dad has a 10-22 that he has tac'd out. Great gun. We were shooting 4" steel plates at 185yds and tearing them up and this is with a stock trigger and regular stock barrel (16" I believe). What it really boils down to is he has an awesome gun, and I want to one-up him .

Like I said, I'm still in the thinking phase of this build right now, and won't be starting the project until I get some money on hand, but I don't want to just go in blind.

Last edited by deerhuntr88; 08-05-2012 at 21:37..
deerhuntr88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 21:53   #2
FLFireLT

Nothing to add really but tagging along on this thread..... Been thinking of building a 10-22 as my next project.

Posted via smoke signals to magic electronic box with buttons.
FLFireLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 07:54   #3
toshbar
Timber Baron

Boyds Tacticool Stock. I love mine. It has a .920 barrel channel.

Rimfire Forum
2 4 R

Last edited by toshbar; 08-07-2012 at 07:55..
toshbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 09:50   #4
ezdaar

Rimfirecentral, Everything you will ever want to know about the 10-22 and more.

These are some of the items I personally use.
I have ALOT of .22's due to how cheap they are to shoot and build, In alot of configurations.

Theres a million diff ways to build these badboys.
Use as much titanium as you can afford, the lighter that action is the faster and smoother it will shoot.

The true acuracy of the 22 comes down to trigger, bolt and chamber work.

This guy is one of the TOP 22 machinists
https://sites.google.com/site/quesplace/
This guy is one of teh best trigger guys out there
http://www.brimstonegunsmithing.com/

http://www.coolguyguns.com/ receivers (best out there), bolts, trigger groups etc.
Use his receiver pin kit and bolt buffer
unless you go with a really lite weight stock, then get a bolt buffer like this.
http://www.tacticalinc.com/red-bolt-...de-p-1030.html

http://www.tacticalinc.com/1022-upgrades-c-774.html

http://www.rimfiretechnologies.com/F...r_p/fwt001.htm Get this trigger.

http://www.rimfiretechnologies.com/V...r_p/avb001.htm use this V-block, to preload your free floated barrel, this is important part.

Most if not all of the stocks listed below support bull barrels.

Rimfire Forum

http://www.blacksuntactical.com/
the sparta and marauder stocks. I have both, they are really nice. the marauder/nomad kit really turns heads.

http://www.promagindustries.com/category-s/94.htm
the archangel stock

You could go with a overmold stock and a UTG quad rail also. they tend to look really nice, but wont have a freefloat barrel.

Last edited by ezdaar; 08-07-2012 at 09:53..
ezdaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 09:53   #5
Travclem
Lifetime Membership
Badass Member

Barrel length has nothing to do with intrinsic accuracy, only velocity. If I remember right 16" is the optimum length for .22lr and any barrel after that just slows the bullet a little.

Here's the one I just did (my favorite):
Tacsol Barrel
VQ trigger innards
Hogue stock
Rimfire Forum

My super acurate build.
GM 16" fluted barrel
reworked bolt
VQ trigger/sear/hammer/shims
Boyd's stock
Rimfire Forum

The top one will shoot 3/8" groups at 50 yds but the bottom one will stack bullets at the same distance. The top one is more reliable and likes more different ammo, it is also threaded for my suppressor.

Last edited by Travclem; 08-07-2012 at 09:56..
Travclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:42   #6
Bill Keith

Ruger will not sell their action, you have to buy the rifle. That being said.,The Volquartsen 2000 trigger group is hard to beat. I've not found any appreciable difference between an 18" barrel vs 20". I personally have a .920 heavy barrel that is 18" long. A 22LR has absolutely no need for a flash hider. What flash!? The aftermarket heavy barrels are more accurate than the stock 10/22 barrels. As per stocks,the Tacticool stocks are mostly designed for the factory barrels.
My humble suggestion...go to as many pawn shops as you can find and look for a used 10/22 to use as the basis for your project gun. Look at www.midwayusa.com and www.natchexss.com for aftermarket parts and price them out. Meanwhile, shoot the daylights out of your beater 10/22 so you know what the rifle is truly capable of. I'm a huge 10/22 fanand have built mine into a tackdriver. Beware, they can become a money pit, but are fun, all the way. FWIW, the match grade barrels are built to tight standards, and most won't feed CCI Stingers because that round is a bit longer than a standard 22lr round. CCI Blazer 22LR ammo is cheap and pretty accurate. I use Federal Gold Medal Target for accuracy work= 3/8" to 5/8" at 50 yards.
Bill Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 07:32   #7
deerhuntr88
OD Green G19

Thanks for the help/links thus far guys, I'll keep it all in mind. It should be fun. Much cheaper than building an AR and cheaper to shoot. That and a 22 seems like a good gun to learn builds on.
Old 08-11-2012, 21:34   #8
LTR

Tony Kidd has 16, 18 and 20. He recommends the 20 as he has found it more accurate than the shorter lengths.

He is something that is threaded and tactical and much easier to pack around.
Rimfire Forum
Rimfire Forum
LTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 06:28   #9
deerhuntr88
OD Green G19

That's exactly what my dad has only black and with a higher power (3-9) scope. +bipod/front foregrip. It's what we were tearing up the metal at 185yds with.

I guess that's the dilemma I have. Do I go with a longer barrel and be harder to go tactical (maneuverability wise) but be more accurate, or sacrifice accuracy for tactical run and gun? I seriously want a 200+ yard gun but be able to run and have fun with it too.. maybe I'll compromise and get the 18".

AHH decisions, decisions.

Last edited by deerhuntr88; 08-12-2012 at 06:28..
Old 08-12-2012, 08:09   #10
ratf51

A longer barrel aids accuracy when using iron sights, the longer sight radius is better. If you are using a scope then barrel length is basically a non-starter. As for velocity check out this sight-- http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/22.html. It shows that velocity generally begins to top out at about 18-20" with gains on up to 22" (look at the chart using actual guns.) I did a similar upgrade to my 10-22 a few years ago and the thing that gave the single biggest improvement was upgrading the trigger. Have fun!
ratf51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 19:43   #11
Faulkner
Patriot

Here's my 10/22 'Possum Slayer in a Choate's Synthetic Folding Stock. About the only thing still original is the receiver and barrel, all the innards have been replaced and updated, mostly from Tactical Innovations.

Rimfire Forum
Old 08-13-2012, 21:11   #12
SD Handgunner

The list of what you can do with a 10/22 is ENDLESS. Yes you can truly have it anyway you want, all it takes is a little imagination and $$$.

Rimfire Forum

Rimfire Forum
Rimfire Forum
Rimfire Forum

Above are a few of the Custom 10/22's I have put together for myself and friends.

For a heavy barrel target type gun I really like the Nordic Components AR-22 Receiver Chassis.

Rimfire Forum

This is all aluminum and then you add the AR-15 Buttstock, Pistol Grip and Free Float Tube of your choice. As per Barrels it has been my experience that there is no noticable difference in accuracy or velocity between the 18" & 20" Bull Barrels. Now my buddy will argue that with me telling me the 18" are more accurate.

As for Triggers I feel that that is another key ingredient to accuracy (well at least for me). I have done my own trigger jobs. Used Volquartsen and or Power Custom Target Hammers. Had TT Shooter out in California do trigger jobs for me. And lastly used the new KIDD Drop in Trigger Kits designed for the new Aluminum Trigger Housings that new 10/22's are shipped with. To me the best results are either the TT Shooter rework or the KIDD Drop in Trigger Kits (which are both about the same $$$).

Larry

Last edited by SD Handgunner; 08-13-2012 at 21:12..
SD Handgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 21:32   #13
Marine123

I just bought a 10/22 I was going to make it my beater rifle/ utility rifle at my pops ranch, but when I met the guy selling me the rifle he told me he had bought it a week ago and it was an impulse buy. It was brand spanking new and now I don't want to use it as a beater rifle. As stated before I might just hit up the pawn shops and buy one that's already a little beat up. But I do got to say,took it out this weekend to plink while waiting for the w. wings to fly it was deadly accurate killed a lot of aluminum cans and water bottles. Fell in love.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
Marine123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 01:43   #14
TKM
Lifetime Membership
Shiny Member

Take a look at what Fred Feddersen is doing.

http://www.1022rifle.com/information
TKM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 12:20   #15
PROderboom

I have a m&p 15-22, but nothing is better than customizing/personalizing a .22 rifle. So many options. Enjoy the 10-22!

"A free people ought to be armed."
-George Washington
PROderboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 17:26   #16
amd65

Send a message via Yahoo to amd65
I was going to mod a 10/22...started looking for a used one, and found an incredible deal on a NIB 1968 10/22...it was bought from Sears for $54 in 1968.
Real walnut stock, all metal construction.
Last week, I was sighting in a cheap 4 power scope at 50yds. I was shooting Blazer bulk ammo, and easily shooting dime sized 10rd groups that obliterated the X at that range.
I'm not doing a thing to this rifle.
Old 09-13-2012, 19:26   #17
SDGlock23
Glockoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travclem View Post
Barrel length has nothing to do with intrinsic accuracy, only velocity. If I remember right 16" is the optimum length for .22lr and any barrel after that just slows the bullet a little.

Here's the one I just did (my favorite):
Tacsol Barrel
VQ trigger innards
Hogue stock
Rimfire Forum
I have the exact same 10/22...same Tactical Solutions barrel, except I have the blach Hogue stock and a different scope. It will shoot one hole groups all day long. Oh I have a Kidd trigger in it too.
Old 09-14-2012, 18:03   #18
alexanderg23

Tactical soluti
Old 09-14-2012, 18:06   #19
alexanderg23

Tactical solutions barrel w/ can if not integrally suppressed. Hogue stock, Leupold fixed 4x scope Vol internals.