Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-06-2012, 10:21   #1251
redbaron007
Lifetime Membership
A Nice Prick

Quote:
Originally Posted by czsmithGT View Post
He was judged against the SEC and he won two freaking National Championships in three years. He kicked the rest of the SEC all over the south like a bunch of rented mules. If he had been in Columbus instead of Gainesville he obviously would have won four in four years.
Ya killin me......but he aint in the SEC now....he is in the Big Collegiate/High School league now.

red
TopGun *357sig* Club - #2632

R.I.P. Cajunator® ~ R.I.P. Mullah (aka El Ron)
R.I.P. GioaJack ~ R.I.P. Okie
redbaron007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:27   #1252
redbaron007
Lifetime Membership
A Nice Prick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reheater View Post
You mean like going to Texas for the second game of the season and knocking them off in the heat?

Ive lived in the South, Tuscaloosa in Sept isnt really any hotter than Ohio or Kentucky or Indiana around the same time. As somebody that has done military training in both burning heat and freezing cold, it is far easier to adapt to the heat than too the cold. Hell you people freak out like the world is ending when it drops below 45 degrees.

Thats the difference you guys never experience. Even the midwest teams in Kansas play the last half of their season where you can see your breath and not feel your fingers. Id pay good money to see any team from the SEC travel to Madison or Columbus or Happy Valley when there is even a hint at snow and cold.

But hey keep drinking the kool-aid that your the greatest conference of all time when only 4 of your teams have even seen the National Championship (and seriously can we call Auburn anything but a fluke) in this so called "SEC-Dynasty."
Do you really believe the stuff your type? It's tuff on anybody transitioning from one climate to another. The difference is prep.....the teams can train in doors...acclimating themselves somewhat to the warmer climates.....the warm climate teams have a hard time creating 25 degree weather to play in.

Keep trying!

red
TopGun *357sig* Club - #2632

R.I.P. Cajunator® ~ R.I.P. Mullah (aka El Ron)
R.I.P. GioaJack ~ R.I.P. Okie
redbaron007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:29   #1253
GlockRik

Quote:
Well, ND over 'Bama is a lock.
not ready to concede just yet.

ND is a very sound, well coached team, but Bama ain't too bad either. A game I'm looking forward to.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:34   #1254
NEVRL8T

Quote:
That your drinking your own Koolaid when you pretend the SEC is some kind of unsurvivable "Gauntlet" and somehow whatever lives through the run is preordained by god himself to go crush all other teams.

Face it... there are at any time 3 good teams in your conference(Typically some combo of LSU, Bama, Florida, and Georgia. 2 that are pretty good (whichever of those 4 isnt top 3 and either SC or Maybe a Mississippi team or the Razorbacks), and a whole lot of teams that are there to pad your stats (Vandy, Kentucky, Tennessee, etc). But since everybody and their brother is loving throwing money at the SEC advertising monster they are more than happy to act like a 49-0 Victory over a team that has gotten its ass kicked in all year is some sort of omen from the gods. Or to put two SEC teams in the Championship and repeat the season with a rematch (something that was just a crime when they talked about doing it with Ohio state and Michigan) not because they were the two best teams, but because it made the most money.

Your buying into hype.
Hype? Right.
NEVRL8T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 13:02   #1255
czsmithGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockRik View Post
not ready to concede just yet.

ND is a very sound, well coached team, but Bama ain't too bad either. A game I'm looking forward to.
Yep I'm looking forward to it also. Hope it is a good game.
czsmithGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 13:29   #1256
Altaris

Quote:
That your drinking your own Koolaid when you pretend the SEC is some kind of unsurvivable "Gauntlet" and somehow whatever lives through the run is preordained by god himself to go crush all other teams.

Face it... there are at any time 3 good teams in your conference(Typically some combo of LSU, Bama, Florida, and Georgia. 2 that are pretty good (whichever of those 4 isnt top 3 and either SC or Maybe a Mississippi team or the Razorbacks), and a whole lot of teams that are there to pad your stats (Vandy, Kentucky, Tennessee, etc). But since everybody and their brother is loving throwing money at the SEC advertising monster they are more than happy to act like a 49-0 Victory over a team that has gotten its ass kicked in all year is some sort of omen from the gods. Or to put two SEC teams in the Championship and repeat the season with a rematch (something that was just a crime when they talked about doing it with Ohio state and Michigan) not because they were the two best teams, but because it made the most money.

Your buying into hype.
The Okie Corral
Altaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 14:44   #1257
Baba Louie

2012 Heisman Finalists... This weekend.
KSU Klein
ND Te'o
Texas A&M Manziel
http://espn.go.com/blog/sec/post/_/i...sman-finalists

Freshman... Manziel deserves it but isn't that a long shot?

Klein, got the Sports Illustrated cover Jinx instead, not him.

Gotta be Te'o.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. John 15:13
Baba Louie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 15:01   #1258
czsmithGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baba Louie View Post
KSU Klein
ND Te'o
Texas A&M Manziel

Gotta be Te'o.
So far this year Te'o has won the Butkus Award (best college linebacker), the Vince Lombardi/Rotary Award (best lineman/linebacker), and the Bronko Nagurski Award (Best college defensive player). Doubt he will win the Heisman because of their bias toward offensive backs and receivers- last time a defender finished even second in the Heisman voting was Hugh Green in 1980 even though he was college player of the year by most accounts.
Old 12-06-2012, 15:16   #1259
Altaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baba Louie View Post
KSU Klein
ND Te'o
Texas A&M Manziel

Gotta be Te'o.
It Should go to Manziel. If it doesn't, then the sole reason will be because he is a freshman.

While Te'o is a good player, there have been many linebackers in the past with far better stats that weren't even remotely close to the Heisman conversation.
Old 12-06-2012, 16:13   #1260
czsmithGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altaris View Post
It Should go to Manziel. If it doesn't, then the sole reason will be because he is a freshman.

While Te'o is a good player, there have been many linebackers in the past with far better stats that weren't even remotely close to the Heisman conversation.

Far better stats? Doubtful. Not close to Heisman conversation- true because Heisman, despite their charter, is totally biased toward offensive skill players. I have no doubt manziel will win. How does he measure up in terms of meeting all the Heisman criteria vs Te'o? Debatable.

"The Heisman goes to the outstanding college football player whose performance best exhibits the pursuit of excellence with integrity. Winners epitomize great ability combined with diligence, perseverance and hard work."

No FBS linebacker in the past 11 seasons has collected more single-season interceptions than Te'o. He has generated nine total turnovers (seven interceptions and two fumble recoveries), which is tied for the most of any FBS player. Te'o has actually played a role in 11 of the 23 turnovers forced by Notre Dame's defense in '12. In addition to the seven interceptions and two fumble recoveries, he has hurried two quarterbacks on plays that directly resulted in interceptions.

Te'o has started 48 career games at Notre Dame, including each of the last 47 contests. That is the longest streak of any linebacker in the nation and fourth longest of any defensive player in the country. (even though he played injured for almost the entire 2011 season),

Even though he won't win I doubt that will bother him in the least- he is more concerned with ND and his team mates. He stayed with his team to help them beat Michigan State, playing through his tears after his Grandmother and girlfriend both died during the week.

Nothing against Manziel and I'm sure he will win two or three more Heismans if he is as good as everyone thinks. Maybe he'll even figure out a way to not lose to LSU by throwing 3 interceptions.

Last edited by czsmithGT; 12-06-2012 at 16:16..
Old 12-06-2012, 16:47   #1261
NEVRL8T

Quote:
So far this year Te'o has won the Butkus Award (best college linebacker), the Vince Lombardi/Rotary Award (best lineman/linebacker), and the Bronko Nagurski Award (Best college defensive player). Doubt he will win the Heisman because of their bias toward offensive backs and receivers- last time a defender finished even second in the Heisman voting was Hugh Green in 1980 even though he was college player of the year by most accounts.
You forgot about Woodson.
NEVRL8T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 16:51   #1262
Altaris

As an Aggie, Dat was the person I had in mind.
His stats are better, he was the anchor on our defense, and his personal story is amazing. He wasn't even discussed about being in the picture for Heisman.

Dat Nguyen's stats in 1998:
147 tackles
20 tackles for loss
4 sacks
4 forced fumbles
4 INTs
1 TD

Teo'o's stats in 2012:
103 tackles
5.5 tackles for loss
1.5 sacks
0 forced fumbles
7 INTs
0 TDs

Again, not saying Teo's bad by any means, but I just don't see how he could win.

Last edited by Altaris; 12-06-2012 at 18:34..
Old 12-06-2012, 18:28   #1263
Restless28

What a relief it is to not give a flip about the Gus bus crap and that gimmick crap offense that Auburn will die by.

I like it as a LSU fan. Consistency and fun to be a fan of the real Tigers.
Restless28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 18:48   #1264
czsmithGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altaris View Post
As an Aggie, Dat was the person I had in mind.
His stats are better, he was the anchor on our defense, and his personal story is amazing. He wasn't even discussed about being in the picture for Heisman.

Again, not saying Teo's bad by any means, but I just don't see how he could win.
I'm not saying there weren't defensive players with better stats who should have been in the thick of Heisman talk- just that defensive players don't stand a chance no matter how good they are. 1998 only defensive player to get a vote was Champ Bailey from Ga and he was way down the list. Heck, Dick Butkus was voted sixth best college football player of all time by the Sporting News and he only came in 3rd in the Heisman in his best year.
Old 12-06-2012, 18:52   #1265
czsmithGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEVRL8T View Post
You forgot about Woodson.
Yep I'd like to forget about Woodson from that team up north LOL.

Actually he may have won because of his kick returns and occasional pass catching along with his defense.
Old 12-06-2012, 19:56   #1266
benji

Manziel broke Cam Newton's SEC total yardage record. Cam Newton won the Heisman. Cam Newton broke Tim Tebow's SEC total yardage record. Tim Tebow won the Heisman.

If Manziel doesn't win the Heisman it's only because he's a freshman.
benji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 20:17   #1267
FLIPPER 348
Happy Member

I'm happy because my beloved OSU Beavers made it into a decent Bowl Game, the Nike Ducks with their stupid outfits and moronic high risk play style are yet again has-beens in the post season and the BCS Championship game will be awesome.

Actually there will be several good bowl games!

Last edited by FLIPPER 348; 12-06-2012 at 20:17..
FLIPPER 348 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 04:25   #1268
Baba Louie

Quote:
Should he be awarded the honor, he'll have one heck of a legacy to live up to for the next year or three, interceptions or not. His front line certainly helped, as did Klein's in that regard.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. John 15:13
Baba Louie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 15:06   #1269
czsmithGT

Why did Tommy Tuberville leave Lubbock to go north to Cincy? Did they get tired of him down there? I realize the Big 12 ain't the SEC but it's got to be a better gig than coaching in a dying conference of losers, strays and left-overs.
Old 12-08-2012, 16:00   #1270
Hurricanes

Quote:
Originally Posted by benji View Post
Manziel broke Cam Newton's SEC total yardage record. Cam Newton won the Heisman. Cam Newton broke Tim Tebow's SEC total yardage record. Tim Tebow won the Heisman.

Honestly if Johnny Manziel doesn't take the Heisman for being a freshman, then I feel the trophy is nothing but garbage. Being a freshmen should make it a guarantee that he takes it. Every college football game I have watched the announcers have always mentioned how freshmens are still learning the system, speed of the game, etc. For a freshman to come in and do what he did is nothing but remarkable.

And let us not forget that he did this all while playing in the SEC.
-Joel
Hurricanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 16:06   #1271
SpoiledBySig

Quote:
Why did Tommy Tuberville leave Lubbock to go north to Cincy? Did they get tired of him down there? I realize the Big 12 ain't the SEC but it's got to be a better gig than coaching in a dying conference of losers, strays and left-overs.

That one got me puzzled also. Cincy has been a great stepping stone for Brian Kelly, Butch Jones and Mark Dantonio...Those 3 all left Cincy for bigger programs. It could have been his tirade (hitting an assistant coach) during the Kansas game. But it seems like leaving Texas Tech for Cincy is a downgrade.

http://msn.foxsports.com/collegefoot...l-coach-120812
Old 12-08-2012, 16:26   #1272
Restless28

Tubs had been wanting out of Lubbock for some time. IIRC, his wife was involved in a MVA with fatality while there. He would have been great at Tennessee or Arkansas.

Hell, I would have liked to see him come back to Auburn, but they are All In for this gimmicky crap now. But, alas, it is Auburn, and the legacy of mediocrity continues.
Old 12-08-2012, 16:41   #1273
czsmithGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricanes View Post
Honestly if Johnny Manziel doesn't take the Heisman for being a freshman, then I feel the trophy is nothing but garbage. Being a freshmen should make it a guarantee that he takes it. Every college football game I have watched the announcers have always mentioned how freshmens are still learning the system, speed of the game, etc. For a freshman to come in and do what he did is nothing but remarkable.

And let us not forget that he did this all while playing in the SEC.
-Joel
Heisman Award is for the best offensive college football player of the year. Manziel versus Klein, Manziel will win. Te'o already won the trophy for the best college football player in the United States, the Maxwell Trophy.
Old 12-08-2012, 19:05   #1274
czsmithGT

Congratulations to Johnny Manziel for winning the Heisman.
Old 12-08-2012, 19:08   #1275
Restless28

Quote:
Congratulations to Johnny Manziel for winning the Heisman.
Ditto. Deservedly so. Now watch the Bo special!