SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-05-2012, 18:21   #1226
Restless28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Never Nervous View Post
Nick Sabin, Urban Meyer, Gene Chizik, Ron Zook. A lot of coaches from the Ohio Valley area have made an impact on the SEC. I look for Ohio State to get back to the Woody Hayes days of kicking butt with Meyer.

NN
Maybe, until they have to play LSU, Bama or Florida. Then the real ass kicking begins.
Restless28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 19:20   #1227
Never Nervous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless28 View Post
Maybe, until they have to play LSU, Bama or Florida. Then the real ass kicking begins.
I think they will be pretty good. Meyer is building an SEC type team with TOSU. I don't think they will be intimidated. Should be good to watch.
Old 12-05-2012, 19:32   #1228
IceAxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Never Nervous View Post
I think they will be pretty good. Meyer is building an SEC type team with TOSU. I don't think they will be intimidated. Should be good to watch.
unless tOSU is growing a clone of Tebow in their genetic engineering labs, expect to see another "heart attack" from the Urban Myth if he has a steady diet of top tier SEC opponents.
IceAxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 19:53   #1229
rolltide_pisco
NRA Life Member

LOL...One good season and Ohio State thinks they're back. I remember thinking after the '09 SEC Championship after BAMA made Tebow cry he was ready to weasel out of Florida.
Black Rifle Club #270
rolltide_pisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 20:00   #1230
Never Nervous

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceAxe View Post
unless tOSU is growing a clone of Tebow in their genetic engineering labs, expect to see another "heart attack" from the Urban Myth if he has a steady diet of top tier SEC opponents.
Don't think any team outside of the SEC can take a steady diet of SEC and win. That's why the SEC teams schedule soft games now and then. To keep from beating up on each other every week.

NN
Old 12-05-2012, 20:23   #1231
czsmithGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceAxe View Post
Meyer won a National Championship in 2006 with Leak as QB throwing for 2942 yards and 23 TDs. Tebow played a bit and ran for 469 yards. They would have won the NC without him, as long as they had DeShawn Wynn, Dallas Baker and Percy Harvin running and receiving. Leak was MVP of the BCS Championship game.

As far as Meyer facing a steady diet of SEC teams, obviously that won't happen. He will only have a chance to kick their asses once a year in a bowl game. SEC teams don't have the balls to play up north against the B1G- Last times each SEC team traveled to a B1G site for a game-

'Bama 2011 vs Penn State (prior to that it was 1928 at Wisconsin)
Vandy 2006 vs Michigan
Kentucky 2005 vs Indiana
LSU 1988 vs Ohio State
S. Carolina 1980 vs Michigan
Miss State 1980 vs Illinois
Ga 1965 vs Michigan
Fla 1965 vs Northwestern
Ole Miss 1932 vs Minnesota
Auburn 1931 vs Wisconsin
Arkansas 1925 vs iowa
Tennessee never played at a B1G site

Looks like a bunch of warm weather girlie-girls who would rather travel to Statesboro Georgia than to Columbus Ohio where the real football players will be located.

Last edited by czsmithGT; 12-05-2012 at 20:29..
czsmithGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 20:33   #1232
airmotive
Tin Kicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltide_pisco View Post
LOL...One good season and Ohio State thinks they're back. I remember thinking after the '09 SEC Championship after BAMA made Tebow cry he was ready to weasel out of Florida.
No...one pretty mediocre season by all accounts with seniors who were playing for pride and nothing else...and went 12-0.

Coaching plays a major role in college football...far moreso than at pro level. (case in point: Notre Dame). Next season will be a lot of fun to watch in the Ohio Valley
Old 12-05-2012, 21:35   #1233
Hines57
Simple Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltide_pisco View Post
LOL is right. In the last 10 years Alabama has 7 top 10 finishes. Ohio State has 8 top 10 finishes. I am pretty sure any team in the country would be happy with that record.
Hines57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 22:39   #1234
Fox184

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTop View Post
Well, at least you know how it feels to be a Seminole these days.
LOL,

and a Cornhusker.
Fox184 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:17   #1235
Restless28

Urban Meyer. The SEC was too tough. Saban almost killed him.
Restless28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:32   #1236
bamacisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by czsmithGT View Post
Meyer won a National Championship in 2006 with Leak as QB throwing for 2942 yards and 23 TDs. Tebow played a bit and ran for 469 yards. They would have won the NC without him, as long as they had DeShawn Wynn, Dallas Baker and Percy Harvin running and receiving. Leak was MVP of the BCS Championship game.

As far as Meyer facing a steady diet of SEC teams, obviously that won't happen. He will only have a chance to kick their asses once a year in a bowl game. SEC teams don't have the balls to play up north against the B1G- Last times each SEC team traveled to a B1G site for a game-

'Bama 2011 vs Penn State (prior to that it was 1928 at Wisconsin)
Vandy 2006 vs Michigan
Kentucky 2005 vs Indiana
LSU 1988 vs Ohio State
S. Carolina 1980 vs Michigan
Miss State 1980 vs Illinois
Ga 1965 vs Michigan
Fla 1965 vs Northwestern
Ole Miss 1932 vs Minnesota
Auburn 1931 vs Wisconsin
Arkansas 1925 vs iowa
Tennessee never played at a B1G site

Looks like a bunch of warm weather girlie-girls who would rather travel to Statesboro Georgia than to Columbus Ohio where the real football players will be located.
Get your facts right...ALABAMA played MICHIGAN this year and ALABAMA WON

Last edited by bamacisa; 12-06-2012 at 05:41.. Reason: spelling error
bamacisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:48   #1237
GlockRik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless28 View Post
Urban Meyer. The SEC was too tough. Saban almost killed him.
He's a good coach and a great recruiter, he's also squirrely. Did not handle the pressure in SEC well at all.

Good news is that his mental health should improve greatly playing against the Big and and other lower tier teams like ND.
Old 12-06-2012, 06:46   #1238
redbaron007
Lifetime Membership
A Nice Prick

Meyer will do well in OSU...there is really no competition for him to deal with. Same with recruiting....many appreciate his history at Florida and that will be a draw...plus his season this year will give him credibility.

But the true test is for him to have a steady diet of SEC teams. Then he can be judged.

red
TopGun *357sig* Club - #2632

R.I.P. Cajunator ~ R.I.P. Mullah (aka El Ron)
R.I.P. GioaJack ~ R.I.P. Okie
redbaron007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:04   #1239
Reheater
Yarr

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamacisa View Post
Get your facts straight, he's talking about the number of times teams from the SEC have played Big 10 teams on Big 10 sites for a game.

I cant help but laugh at the stupidity of the statement a few pages back against barely beating Michigan. It was 25 degrees and snowing, on a wet ass astroturf field, against the number 1 pass defense in the country. Its a completely different game when that temperature drops, but none of the teams south of the Mason Dixon line would know that.

Come up here some time in November and see how all that vaunted speed works when your players cant feel their hands and feet. When the ball is rock hard from the cold. When the field is wet from frost and your cleats dont grab and your stride is cut short from your knees and thighs going numb.

Old 12-06-2012, 08:04   #1240
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron007 View Post
Meyer will do well in OSU...there is really no competition for him to deal with. Same with recruiting....many appreciate his history at Florida and that will be a draw...plus his season this year will give him credibility.

But the true test is for him to have a steady diet of SEC teams. Then he can be judged.

red
He had a steady diet of SEC teams at Florida of course and it broke him. I'm guessing Urban going to Ohio State is his way of remaining a football coach while dialing back the intensity. He could have moved to high school or Pop Warner but it doesn't pay as well. So Ohio State it is.

Big fish in a smaller pond.

Media bias will get him a couple shots at the title against SEC schools but he won't fare any better than Tressel
certifiedfunds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:16   #1241
GlockRik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reheater View Post
Get your facts straight, he's talking about the number of times teams from the SEC have played Big 10 teams on Big 10 sites for a game.

I cant help but laugh at the stupidity of the statement a few pages back against barely beating Michigan. It was 25 degrees and snowing, on a wet ass astroturf field, against the number 1 pass defense in the country. Its a completely different game when that temperature drops, but none of the teams south of the Mason Dixon line would know that.

Come up here some time in November and see how all that vaunted speed works when your players cant feel their hands and feet. When the ball is rock hard from the cold. When the field is wet from frost and your cleats dont grab and your stride is cut short from your knees and thighs going numb.

the flip side to that is bring them polar bears south when it's 100 degrees (and higher that on the field) and 80% humidity.

or you could stop with the excuses and just win when/where the opportunity presents itself, like for ND next month.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:18   #1242
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Yeah, bring those Ohio State mosquito hawks to Baton Rouge in August or September. Bring lots of IV fluids.
certifiedfunds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:21   #1243
Reheater
Yarr

Quote:
Originally Posted by certifiedfunds View Post
Yeah, bring those Ohio State mosquito hawks to Baton Rouge in August or September. Bring lots of IV fluids.
You mean like going to Texas for the second game of the season and knocking them off in the heat?

Ive lived in the South, Tuscaloosa in Sept isnt really any hotter than Ohio or Kentucky or Indiana around the same time. As somebody that has done military training in both burning heat and freezing cold, it is far easier to adapt to the heat than too the cold. Hell you people freak out like the world is ending when it drops below 45 degrees.

Thats the difference you guys never experience. Even the midwest teams in Kansas play the last half of their season where you can see your breath and not feel your fingers. Id pay good money to see any team from the SEC travel to Madison or Columbus or Happy Valley when there is even a hint at snow and cold.

But hey keep drinking the kool-aid that your the greatest conference of all time when only 4 of your teams have even seen the National Championship (and seriously can we call Auburn anything but a fluke) in this so called "SEC-Dynasty."

Last edited by Reheater; 12-06-2012 at 09:26..
Reheater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:24   #1244
czsmithGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamacisa View Post
I have my facts straight. Alabama played Michigan in Texas. Last time I checked, Michigan is located in, well, Michigan. My post addressed when the SEC teams went to the B1G home fields- "Last time an SEC team traveled to a B1G site".

As far as Alabama squeaking by the mighty Wolverines in Texas, which is not Ann Arbor, the problem was Urban Meyer wasn't coaching Michigan and they played in the wrong stadium.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:30   #1245
czsmithGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron007 View Post

red
He was judged against the SEC and he won two freaking National Championships in three years. He kicked the rest of the SEC all over the south like a bunch of rented mules. If he had been in Columbus instead of Gainesville he obviously would have won four in four years.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:31   #1246
czsmithGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reheater View Post

Well said!!
Old 12-06-2012, 09:32   #1247
czsmithGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by certifiedfunds View Post

smaller pond.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:33   #1248
GlockRik

only "4" SEC teams have won BCS NC. and the last one was SEC vs. SEC. And another SEC team in it this year. What am I missing here.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:33   #1249
czsmithGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockRik View Post
the flip side to that is bring them polar bears south when it's 100 degrees (and higher that on the field) and 80% humidity.

or you could stop with the excuses and just win when/where the opportunity presents itself, like for ND next month.
Well, ND over 'Bama is a lock.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:40   #1250
Reheater
Yarr

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockRik View Post
only "4" SEC teams have won BCS NC. and the last one was SEC vs. SEC. And another SEC team in it this year. What am I missing here.
That your drinking your own Koolaid when you pretend the SEC is some kind of unsurvivable "Gauntlet" and somehow whatever lives through the run is preordained by god himself to go crush all other teams.

Face it... there are at any time 3 good teams in your conference(Typically some combo of LSU, Bama, Florida, and Georgia. 2 that are pretty good (whichever of those 4 isnt top 3 and either SC or Maybe a Mississippi team or the Razorbacks), and a whole lot of teams that are there to pad your stats (Vandy, Kentucky, Tennessee, etc). But since everybody and their brother is loving throwing money at the SEC advertising monster they are more than happy to act like a 49-0 Victory over a team that has gotten its ass kicked in all year is some sort of omen from the gods. Or to put two SEC teams in the Championship and repeat the season with a rematch (something that was just a crime when they talked about doing it with Ohio state and Michigan) not because they were the two best teams, but because it made the most money.

Your buying into hype.