Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-03-2012, 11:42   #1
Wayloss

What would you do?

Okay this was a recent event I was involved in as a responder. d/t privacy laws this will be VAGUE. This event takes place in New York State (not city), Urban/Suburban Mega-retail store.

A call was received for a MWAG in the store. Witnesses report someone walking around the store with a pistol in a holster ranting and talking to themselves and inanimate objects. when LEO's make contact the guy becomes verbally abusive to them and reports the "gun" is a pellet gun. The LEO's take the pellet gun and handcuff the man. He is taken to a local hospital under MHA (Mental Hygine Arrest) for treatment.

Now this bothered me. On one half I'm upset that a MWAG call set this in motion and the guy has his liberty deprived simply because he was (apparently) legally carrying a pellet gun. On the other hand I would have likely called the guy in myself for the erratic behavior and the potential weapon. If we take the Mental Illness out and this is plain wrong.

I'm just wondering about my fellow GT'ers thoughts and ideas. Especially LEO, and EMS friends.
Wayloss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 14:29   #2
Misty02

When I see people acting crazy, whether they are armed or not, I get away from them as fast as possible.

I’ve thought people were talking to themselves before, very animated hand gestures and all, only to find out they were using a Bluetooth I had not seen earlier. Either way, I wouldn’t be making a call on something like that.

"In making tactical dispositions, the highest pitch you can attain is to conceal them." - Sun Tzu

Outpost Member #69
Misty02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 14:52   #3
Glock_9mm

I think that the Aurora shooting has made people a bit more jittery around someone who is openly carrying a handgun and talking crazy. I'm not sure if I would have called 911, I probably would have told a store employee and gotten the heck outta there.
Glock_9mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 14:55   #4
eracer
Where's my EBT?

Called cops.
Maintained cover position.
Monitored principal. If he pulled the gun I would have acted as trained.

DROP YOUR WEAPON! DROP YOUR WEAPON! DROP YOUR WEAPON! DROP YOUR WEAPON! DROP YOUR WEAPON!
Matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration; we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively. There is no such thing as death. Life is a dream, and we're the imagination of ourselves. And now...the weather! ---- Bill Hicks
eracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 14:55   #5
RyanNREMTP
Inactive/Banned

Since you are being vague so will I. I wasn't there so nothing really to add. I don't monday morning quarterback anything unless I was there.
Old 08-03-2012, 15:35   #6
Schabesbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayloss View Post
Okay this was a recent event I was involved in as a responder. d/t privacy laws this will be VAGUE. This event takes place in New York State (not city), Urban/Suburban Mega-retail store.

A call was received for a MWAG in the store. Witnesses report someone walking around the store with a pistol in a holster ranting and talking to themselves and inanimate objects. when LEO's make contact the guy becomes verbally abusive to them and reports the "gun" is a pellet gun. The LEO's take the pellet gun and handcuff the man. He is taken to a local hospital under MHA (Mental Hygine Arrest) for treatment.

Now this bothered me. On one half I'm upset that a MWAG call set this in motion and the guy has his liberty deprived simply because he was (apparently) legally carrying a pellet gun.
Here in NY, we aren't allowed open carry. ALL permits are for concealed-carry only.

Ho kurios mou, kai ho theos mou
Schabesbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 16:54   #7
robhic
Platinum Membership
WOLVERINE!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayloss View Post
If we take the Mental Illness out and this is plain wrong.
And I would agree ... but mental illness was NOT taken out. World is too screwed up a place for taking chances.

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
robhic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 17:31   #8
Patchman
Florist

Well, if you were 110-percent certain before the cops showed up that the holstered gun was a pellet gun, you should have walked up to the guy and told him to take his carp and get the fruck off the property. NOW!

Yes, even apparently crazy people will sometimes respond positively to assertive behavior. But sometimes not.

Otherwise, hind sight is '20-20 safe' and IDK.

And thank YOU for being perfect, all the time, every time. Go forth and reproduce. We need more of you.

Last edited by Patchman; 08-03-2012 at 19:04..
Patchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 21:27   #9
ithaca_deerslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schabesbert View Post
Here in NY, we aren't allowed open carry. ALL permits are for concealed-carry only.
Maybe, but the law isn't clear on it. To have and carry concealed might mean you can't have and carry openly. No other state laws address the issue, as far as I know.

The arrest was probably based on other stuff.
ithaca_deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 09:36   #10
Darkangel1846

Look if someone is acting very abnormal and is packing heat it is your duty to notify law enforcement. I know I know why is it my job to get involved........what if the cops end up killing the guy, I'll feel responsible..........what if you don't and he injures or kills himself or some poor person walking by? The what if's are everywhere.....get the guy off the street or at least have him checked out.
Old 08-05-2012, 09:45   #11
GRIMLET
Deceased

Situation handled correctly.

How funny it would be if it was an open carry advocate trying to make a point? Enjoy the free vacation at the psych ward. Hahahhaha
GRIMLET is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ambulance, ems, mental illness, open carry, police