Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-10-2012, 08:13   #1
M2 Carbine

New to the .357 SIG round.

I recently came by a new Glock 33 .357 SIG.
Although I have a G26 and G19 I am not a Glock fan but I couldn't pass up the G33 for $350 (FTF sale).

The .357 Sig is an impressive round. Powerful and very accurate.

I immediately ordered 2,000 once fired SIG brass and reloading dies.
By using a 40 S&W carbide sizing die first up in my Dillon reloading press, the .357 SIG is no more trouble than reloading any other pistol round.

I had 2,000 9mm 115 gr flat nose Berry's bullets and a keg of AA#9 on hand, so I've been loading and shooting these, reduced a couple grains of powder, for a target load.
I think I'll order another 2,000 cases and try out a couple thousand 124 gr Berry's bullets.

Store bought practice ammo is higher than 9mm, 45ACP, etc, but defense ammo seems to cost about the same as the other calibers. Like $17.95 for Hornady 147 XTP, at the gun show.

I don't see the need to replace most any caliber with the .357 SIG but, IMO, the round is up to doing what most any other defense caliber will do and maybe better.
M2 Carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 08:21   #2
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

I have a P229 in .357 SIG. It sits in the safe along with the other P229 in .40SW. Well, lots of guns sit in my safe. However, I can't rememberr the last time I shot either of these pistols. I kept reaching for the 9mm and the .45ACP when it comes to autos.
Old 07-10-2012, 08:59   #3
M2 Carbine

Quote:
I kept reaching for the 9mm
Yeah, me to.

Last winter I loaded thousands of rounds of .380. I've got some nice .380 pistols, Beretta, Ruger, CZ, Makarov, etc, but it seems like when I grab something to shoot it's a 9mm.
Old 07-10-2012, 10:07   #4
Beanie-Bean

M2,

Congrats on the great deal! I've been lugging around the G33 this week as part of my CCW rotation, and am looking forward to testing out another .357SIG firearm I should have later this week--SIG P239 SAS Gen2.

I resisted getting the Dillon dies for so long, because they were twice as expensive as any of their other dies I've purchased. Like you, I use a Redding G-Rx die to get rid of the case bulges. The brass will actually spin freely in the case gauge before they even hit the press.

Speer 125 gr. TMJ and Hornady 124 gr. XTP have done well for me, with Blue Dot powder. I've got some Longshot, AA #7, and Unique loads I'd like to get tested and shot over the chrony to see how they do. These don't have to be loaded too hot in order to get downrange in a hurry, and the brass always ejects to the next county like the 10mm stuff I load.

I'll have to try some of those plated FN bullets, but I'm not sure how fast you can push those...isn't it around 1100 fps for Rainier/Berry's? 1.135" seems to be the magic number for my Glocks and SIGs, and I'm using Starline, FC (from the American Eagle factory ammo) and Speer brass. No signs of overpressure, and I usually top out at around 1250-1300 fps with the jacketed projectiles.

I'm also in the same boat as you are, in that the biggest piles of brass for me to sort are .45ACP and 9X19.

Check out LEOBrass for some once-fired brass. I paid about $6/100 from him, and it's all in good condition. Starline is my preferred and favorite brass, but I have yet to damage any factory brass yet.

Enjoy the new G33!

Beanie-Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 10:54   #5
RMD

G33 is on my short list. Nice punch in a baby Glock!
RMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 12:16   #6
failsafe

I have a G22, G23 and a G32...I have been considering a baby glock...I haven't fired a G33/G27 platform, but they just seem too small...Some that buy them put on a grip or mag extension, which pretty much takes away from the concept of a concealable pistol..At least in my opinion..

The 357 sig round is a good round, loud and proud...
I'll have to shoot one of the G33's to see if it is on my wish list...
I know my G32 is a handfull, the G33 must be more of one..
Old 07-10-2012, 13:58   #7
gruntmedik
CLM Number 291
Honk Honk

My 1st Glock was a 2nd Gen G32. I still carry it, and have a G33 barrel for my G27. I've been a fan of the round for quite some time, but since I don't reload, I don't shoot it as often as I used to.
Old 07-10-2012, 14:40   #8
kahrcarrier
FAHRENHEIT

That's a nice deal, good for you and congrats.....

But I am still reeling from the news that you purchased another GLOCK! I know you are not a fan, but I am always impressed by the variety in your collection, and your willingness to try something new or just plain different..........ALWAYS interesting.

Have fun with it!
kahrcarrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 14:44   #9
dkf

Plated bullets are not optimum for .357sig. Keep them below 1250fps and they will probably work ok. They can start getting squirreley above 1200fps. I use PD 124gr JHP bullets.
dkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 15:13   #10
M2 Carbine

Quote:
But I am still reeling from the news that you purchased another GLOCK!
That's what my friend said, "For someone that doesn't like Glocks you are getting a lot of Glocks"

Quote:
Plated bullets are not optimum for .357sig. Keep them below 1250fps and they will probably work ok.
I seldom load "full loads" for paper punching practice.
I guessed at 11.4 grains of AA#9 with the 115 grain Berry's plated bullet as a start for the .357. It is fairly mild shooting and seems to be quite accurate. We shall see.
(Recently I hurt both my shoulders and I'm hard pressed to be able to shoot more than two magazines through anything but a 22LR pistol).
Old 07-10-2012, 15:36   #11
CBennett

I think the ROUND is one of the top rounds out there for CC/SD..thing is you need to either reload OR get/have available a 9mm conversion barrel for (if you dont reload) otherwise affordable practice sessions. I cant do Glocks unfortunately their grips/grip angle are just too horrid...I tried by carrying a Glock 23 as my main CC weapon for 3+ years..just had to get rid of it...But as far as the round and performance goes I LOVE that .357sig. For me it would require a conversion barrel though to make it worth owning(.357 sig for CC/HD and switch to 9mm conversion for range time)

Any other decent affordable guns out there in .357 sig that you can get conversion barrels for except glocks???
CBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 16:29   #12
ak103k

The 357SIG is an interesting round. I had a number of guns in it, and loaded a lot of ammo for it. I also used AA #9, but I loaded more towards the upper end of the data, looking to duplicate my carry ammo for practice and negate the set back issue.

I never had any troubles with my SIG's, but my 31 was beating itself to death on the underside of the slide, and showed no signs of slowing down. Towards the end, I did get a LWD 40-9 barrel for it, and actually shot more 9mm out of it than I did 357SIG.

You may want to keep an eye on that spot on the underside of the slide just forward of the chamber where the loading block tends to impact them. I was told it was common on 40's, but didnt see any on the couple I looked at. One of my 17's had more +P+ 9mm through it than my 31 did, and at this point, is headed towards 50000 rounds of hotter reloads through it, and it barely shows some light finish wear in the same spot, which is kind of interesting actually. You always hear its better to move up to 357SIG than it is to beat your 9mm to death using +P+. (+P+ 9mm and 357SIG are basically in the same pressure range and offer similar performance with similar bullets)

Zeitgeist - Addendum
ak103k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 17:28   #13
dkf

Quote:
I seldom load "full loads" for paper punching practice.
I guessed at 11.4 grains of AA#9 with the 115 grain Berry's plated bullet as a start for the .357. It is fairly mild shooting and seems to be quite accurate. We shall see.
(Recently I hurt both my shoulders and I'm hard pressed to be able to shoot more than two magazines through anything but a 22LR pistol).
AA #9 is a very good powder for .357sig and not so flashy either. I primarily use Power Pistol and it works well from mild to full power loads. Down side to Power Pistol is that it is very flashy so not ideal for indoor shooting. Long shot and AA#5 are two more good powders.

A fun load in .357sig is a warm or hot load with a 90gr jacketed bullet. They are hoot shooting steel with as they really knock the plates over quick. Some mild 90gr loads would not be too bad in the recoil dept.

Quote:
Any other decent affordable guns out there in .357 sig that you can get conversion barrels for except glocks??
SW M&P. If I would not own Glocks I would have went with the M&P. I believe S&W discontinued the .357sig M&P but you can just a .40 and a .357sig barrel or hunt down a .357sig M&P.
dkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 17:42   #14
Deaf Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2 Carbine View Post
I recently came by a new Glock 33 .357 SIG.
Although I have a G26 and G19 I am not a Glock fan but I couldn't pass up the G33 for $350 (FTF sale).
I got one for $380 also M2. Glock 33.

Yes it's not bad at all. Fun thing is my old Glock 26 practice gun died (but I saved the frame and took all the parts out.) Well my Glock 33 I converted to a Glock 26 so my practice Glock is back to running AND the Glock 33 slide (came with might sights) fits right on my Glock 27 .40 S&W so I have two guns in one!

So no ammo shortage for me! I have some CCI Gold Dot .357 Sigs as well as Winchester 155gr T series .40s and that makes that little gun real nifty.

You might want to get a .40 S&W barrel for your Glock 33.

Deaf
Old 07-10-2012, 17:54   #15
glock2740
Gun lover.

I've got a G32 barrel from LW for my G23 (note the * next to G32 in my signature line ). I wanted to try the .357Sig round out, but didn't want to buy a brand new gun just to do so. I'm happy with the LW barrels performance and it's been as reliable as any of my Glocks. Great round. I got a smokin' deal on a ton of 125gr Gold Dots and that was the first couple of hundred rounds I ran through it. Mine has been carried, back when I was having a fling with that round, but I usually grab a 9mm, .40 or .45 when I'm CC'ing.
glock2740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 18:10   #16
bac1023

My G33 is the only 357Sig pistol I own.

Its a great round though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 18:34   #17
janice6
Platinum Membership
NRA

I shoot the Sig in my G27 and I like it. Feel is the same to me as the .40 cal.

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". Anonymous

Earp: Not everyone who knows you hates you.
DOC: I know it ain't always easy bein' my friend....but I'll BE THERE when you need me.
janice6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 18:34   #18
Two Guns
VIP MEMBER

The G33 will make you a great carry gun.
Old 07-10-2012, 19:21   #19
Haldor
Retired EE

My son has been really interested in getting a G33. I have about decided I am going to get him one as a graduation present when he finishes Marine Infantry School (November 2012).

Are there any differences besides the barrel and markings between a G27 and a G33? I haven't had much luck finding a used G33 around here while used G27s are plentiful and cheap (police trade-ins). I was thinking about buying a G27 and getting a G33 barrel. It will probably end up costing close to that same as a new G33 and he will then have both .40 S&W and .357 Sig capability.

I confess to being interested in the G33 as well. I love my G26 so I know the grips will fit to my liking.
Guys! Guys! He's down! Stop kicking him! If he shows up on another thread, Tasers are indicated, but for now, let him slink off into the shadows to lick his wounds and ponder how deeply cool and misunderstood he is!
Hoot nred Mrs. Vr.

Last edited by Haldor; 07-10-2012 at 19:23..
Haldor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 04:30   #20
silversport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haldor View Post
My son has been really interested in getting a G33. I have about decided I am going to get him one as a graduation present when he finishes Marine Infantry School (November 2012).

Are there any differences besides the barrel and markings between a G27 and a G33? I haven't had much luck finding a used G33 around here while used G27s are plentiful and cheap (police trade-ins). I was thinking about buying a G27 and getting a G33 barrel. It will probably end up costing close to that same as a new G33 and he will then have both .40 S&W and .357 Sig capability.

I confess to being interested in the G33 as well. I love my G26 so I know the grips will fit to my liking.
sights may be different...I just added Trijicon GL04 night sights to my G23 with the G32 barrel and magazines and the sights are not the 9mm/40 S&W sights...mine took the same sights as the G21...

Bill

Last edited by silversport; 07-11-2012 at 04:32..
silversport is offline   Reply With Quote