Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-30-2012, 17:49   #1
Landmonster

Any north Texas lawn gurus here?

So I just bought a house several months ago, in DFW. I'm looking for some lawn maintenance advise from any gurus here. My house was a foreclosure, and the previous owner had not maintained the lawn very well.

My grass is not looking too good... it's sparse, and full of weeds, and fireant beds. In the last few weeks it turned brownish.

I'm new to owning a lawn. How can I take care of it... specifically for the north Texas climate? I'm fairly sure it is Bermuda grass.

So far I just mow and weed-eat it, and water about once a week via sprinklers. It is looking somewhat better... particularly from the watering. I'm still having alot of problems with weeds and ants, and I haven't put any products on the lawn yet. In the past few weeks with the cold weather, it has turned brownish... but most of my neighbors lawns are turning shades of brown too.

Any good products to control weeds?
Any good products to use as fertilizer?
Is it now to too late to apply any sort of Winterizer or bug product, as of Dec. 1st?

Thanks for any guidelines
Landmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 17:56   #2
true believer

on the other side of the country but, look for a landscaper and ask him where he buys his fertz. and weed killers...
they can help u big time..
and good luck with ants..
now they cant wait to get on the net and proudly display their ignorance over and over again"-
Dragoon44.
true believer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 18:05   #3
Keoking

To get up and running again the quickest, you might consider a lawn service for the next year or two. Your yard sounds like my back yard (destroyed by dogs, lots of weeds). Without resodding, it would take some serious commitment to get it healthy again on my own. Lots of weed killer, lots of seeding with encapsulated seed, and hundreds of dollars in water.
Springfield Loaded (Black SS)
Sig P220 Stainless Elite
Keoking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 18:12   #4
Southmansfield

Try hiring a local lawn care service. We struggled with the weeds until we found a local professional who was able to control the weeds and get the grass healthy. After that, water and let the grass grow long enough to not dry out easily.

Last edited by Southmansfield; 11-30-2012 at 18:19..
Southmansfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 18:13   #5
slick64

I would do nothing this time of year, it'll be a waste. Hit up the local home depot and start stockling up on stuff before the big spring rush.
slick64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 18:23   #6
robin303
Helicopter Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by slick64 View Post
I would do nothing this time of year, it'll be a waste. Hit up the local home depot and start stockling up on stuff before the big spring rush.

I tend to agree with slick64 with that. March 15 or in Zone 8 is the predicted last freeze. When it goes below 70 Deg you can throw out some Winter Rye and it will die off when it gets hot next year and it is good for the soil.
Old 11-30-2012, 19:22   #7
Averageman

I would disagree with there is nothing you can do now.
First if you have a weed issue, you have to cut the grass with a bagger on your mower. Bag the clipping and carry away the weed seed that will be there for you to deal with next year.
Fertilize with a good balanced fertilizer made for winter use. You can hit up a local nursery, lawn care service now and have it done.
Get the weeds now as they will be easier to spot and deal with before spring.
Bermuda is going to look weak this time of year because it goes dormant. I'm 150 miles south of you and mine is doing it's winter brown out now, it's normal.
Averageman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 20:26   #8
Dan_ntx

If its browning it's bermuda... And it's going dormant for the season.

You can toss a bag of any grass Southern lawn food (Scotts) and give it a deep soaking, but you can also wait until March and give it a good feeding with a weed and feed specific for bermuda lawns. I would overseed it with a quick grass mix right after that and continue overseeding with bermuda after that starts growing. Bermuda seed takes 20+ days to start growing, but the quick grass mix will start in 7 or less and will improve the looks as much as it will hold the slower Bermuda seeds until they get going.

Water, sun, and not mowing it low will get it going in a single season. We get lots of sun...you cover the water and it will happen.
Dan_ntx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 21:25   #9
.264 magnum
CLM Number 121
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landmonster View Post
So I just bought a house several months ago, in DFW. I'm looking for some lawn maintenance advise from any gurus here. My house was a foreclosure, and the previous owner had not maintained the lawn very well.

My grass is not looking too good... it's sparse, and full of weeds, and fireant beds. In the last few weeks it turned brownish.

I'm new to owning a lawn. How can I take care of it... specifically for the north Texas climate? I'm fairly sure it is Bermuda grass.

So far I just mow and weed-eat it, and water about once a week via sprinklers. It is looking somewhat better... particularly from the watering. I'm still having alot of problems with weeds and ants, and I haven't put any products on the lawn yet. In the past few weeks with the cold weather, it has turned brownish... but most of my neighbors lawns are turning shades of brown too.

Any good products to control weeds?
Any good products to use as fertilizer?
Is it now to too late to apply any sort of Winterizer or bug product, as of Dec. 1st?

Thanks for any guidelines
I'll touch on somethings others have said.

1. If you can post up a few pics of your yard.
1a. Do you have an in ground water sprinkler system? If not make that your winter project. 19 years in 20 the ground never freezes around here so you can do it.
2. Bermuda and St. Augustine, the two account for 97/98% of lawn cover around here, both go dormant for the winter about now. My St. Augustine is still mostly green but it's been watered well and it'll be all brown in another week or so.
3. If your grass is really gone you'll need to till to about 3 inches deep and seed around April 15 (it's possible to seed earlier but risk of total failure is high) or sod.
4. If you have lots of bare dirt and weeds mow the weeds short often over the winer. It really does beat them back. Roundup and other broadleaf killers don't work well when the temp is below about 70F.

Best of luck.
Old 11-30-2012, 21:32   #10
cyphertext

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ntx View Post
Water, sun, and not mowing it low will get it going in a single season. We get lots of sun...you cover the water and it will happen.
Water has been the biggest issue....drought and mandatory water restrictions make it difficult to bring the lawn back.
cyphertext is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 21:33   #11
Triple7

I use gas to kill the ants.

Gen 2 Glock 17
Gen 4 Glock 17
Triple7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 21:46   #12
.264 magnum
CLM Number 121
Charter Lifetime Member

Oh yea. Amdro really does will fire ants very well.
Old 11-30-2012, 21:52   #13
Dan_ntx

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyphertext View Post
Water has been the biggest issue....drought and mandatory water restrictions make it difficult to bring the lawn back.
Twice a week watering before 10 or after 6 hasn't been an issue in the last few years. If it gets worse I guess the grass will just have to die.

For the record, I set my sprinklers to water once a week before the sun comes up...a little over an inch (45 min). In the Summer they might come on for 15 min at 6:30 a couple of times a week to supplement the weekly deep watering. If I get spots I will hand water and spot feed, but I haven't had much of a problem with that.

My new home (September) is 100% St. augustine and requires less water in all but the hottest part of the year. If I can stay ahead of the weeds I should be able to keep it green and keep the neighbors happy all year long.
Old 11-30-2012, 21:55   #14
Dan_ntx

Quote:
Originally Posted by .264 magnum View Post
Oh yea. Amdro really does will fire ants very well.
Try instant grits...I know it sounds crazy, but it works great. I buy the pouches of store brand instant grits and just dump a pouch on whatever mound I run across. It kills them 100% and is non toxic, cheap, and tasty in a pinch. I use them for all types of ants and it seems to kill everything.

Last edited by Dan_ntx; 11-30-2012 at 21:56..
Old 11-30-2012, 23:25   #15
Minnow

Google "Bermuda Bible"...
Minnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 06:17   #16
.264 magnum
CLM Number 121
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ntx View Post
Try instant grits...I know it sounds crazy, but it works great. I buy the pouches of store brand instant grits and just dump a pouch on whatever mound I run across. It kills them 100% and is non toxic, cheap, and tasty in a pinch. I use them for all types of ants and it seems to kill everything.
I've never heard of that. Instant grits are on my shopping list thanks.