GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2012, 11:22   #1
blastfact
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 1,576
G29 Chamber

Are the chambers in current production 29's as sloppy loose as the one in my never shot useless OEM G20?

I would really like to pickup a new 29SF in the next few weeks. But If I'm going to have to go buy a new barrel for it. I may well pass on it and get a Shield or M&P9C.

I still have my 9x25 project to kick off. And it's barrel will be bought.
blastfact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 19:03   #2
_The_Shadow
Ret. Fireman
 
_The_Shadow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Southeast, LoUiSiAna
Posts: 4,309
The chamber on my G-29 FS (not SF) 3rd gen is fairly well supported...
__________________
Southeast, LoUiSiAna
NRA Life Member
BASS Life Member
_The_Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 19:58   #3
attrapereves
Senior Member
 
attrapereves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Midwest
Posts: 1,397
I do recall seeing a post on here with different OEM barrels over the years and how chamber support has gotten progressively better.
attrapereves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 16:06   #4
nickE10mm
F.S.F.O.S.
 
nickE10mm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Wichita, KS
Posts: 4,343
Send a message via AIM to nickE10mm Send a message via MSN to nickE10mm Send a message via Yahoo to nickE10mm
My TAN-xxx G29SF has seen some stout loads through it and nary a problem. Slight bulge but nothing too crazy. I'm happy
__________________
10 Ring #1033 - Longslide #1045 - 10mm Loader #1066

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Why do I carry a 10mm?
“Because a 9mm only kills your body… the 10mm kills your soul.”
nickE10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 17:43   #5
blastfact
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 1,576
Well,,, I thought I had read that the G29 Chamber seemed to be a tad tighter than the G20 Chambers. 3rd Gen that is.

Yes I would agree the 3rd Gen Chambers have more support than 1st and 2nd Gens. But there still sloppy loose beyond sanity. My OEM G20 Chamber is awful in my opinion. I can put a piece of shot / fire formed brass out of my LW Barrel in and it still rattles around in the near worthless OEM G20 Chamber. Theres .010+" slop in that useless chamber.

None of my semi auto pistol's have a chamber as sloppy as my G20's OEM chamber. Not a one. Thus why I've never shot the crap barrel.

I just hate having to go out, buy a G29 and order a barrel for it cause Glock has some whacked out euro trash spec and design theory. I didn't mind it to much for the G20. But that was still money need not be spent if Glock just did it right to start with.

Last edited by blastfact; 07-30-2012 at 17:51..
blastfact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 21:25   #6
G-30Jet
Senior Member
 
G-30Jet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Kennewick, Washington-The Desert
Posts: 1,180
Send a message via AIM to G-30Jet
Glock has carried over the reliability thought into all their weapons. Yes the chambers are loose. Yes the newer gen 3 weapons have better support for the critical pressure ring area. Tight or match barrels are just that. Reliability with "all" loads will indeed suffer. You will have to tune your loads for your particular weapon. Bullet ogive and profile are a big contributor to reloading very feed-able ammo.

Some of us actually like the pursuit of working up loads.

Anyway think about what you want, better brass support for hotter loads or a tight match chamber for target shooting or a little of both. I don't know if Barstow is still making barrels or not. They would be the guys to talk to. These tubes are not cheap but they are among the very best!
__________________
Got Cool Glock Tools?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
As an American Adult Male, you are responsible for your self and your familiy's well being. "The Here After" has now been replaced with; "The Indescriminate Now". Unless you have experienced "The Here After", please endeavor to persevere at your current capability. It may be too late to begin your prep now.
G-30Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 18:48   #7
Ermytraining
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 89
These are very different from a nine mm. Not sure why that would be your next choice. M&P 9 has its own set of issues as well. Factory trigger is nothing like that of a Glock.
Ermytraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 20:11   #8
WeeWilly
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: PRK
Posts: 1,727
I have a KKM barrel for my G20. There might be a tiny bit less bulge from this barrel when loading max loads, but the difference is not enough for me to take the time to swap barrels from stock these days. I shoot all my loads (hot and not) through my stock G20SF and G29SF barrels. Both guns are pretty recent manufacturer (last year or so). I get slightly better accuracy from my stock barrels. I do run a 22lb ISMI captive RSA on my G20. The G29SF came with the newer style Gen 4 RSA, works perfectly regardless of load levels I throw at it, the slide has never contacted the frame on my G29SF, regardless of load level.
WeeWilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 09:51   #9
JeremyInMT
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeWilly View Post
I have a KKM barrel for my G20. There might be a tiny bit less bulge from this barrel when loading max loads, but the difference is not enough for me to take the time to swap barrels from stock these days. I shoot all my loads (hot and not) through my stock G20SF and G29SF barrels. Both guns are pretty recent manufacturer (last year or so). I get slightly better accuracy from my stock barrels. I do run a 22lb ISMI captive RSA on my G20. The G29SF came with the newer style Gen 4 RSA, works perfectly regardless of load levels I throw at it, the slide has never contacted the frame on my G29SF, regardless of load level.
Do you have a kkm for the 29sf as well? how does it fare with accuracy? i had been thinking about getting one due to how my stock barrel is a bit wild with hard cast bullets.
JeremyInMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 10:03   #10
WeeWilly
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: PRK
Posts: 1,727
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyInMT View Post
Do you have a kkm for the 29sf as well? how does it fare with accuracy? i had been thinking about getting one due to how my stock barrel is a bit wild with hard cast bullets.
I don't, just the G20.

I sure hope people don't misinterpret my posts about KKM. I think they make a fine product, I have just found in my circumstance the stock barrels work fine.

Last edited by WeeWilly; 08-01-2012 at 10:05..
WeeWilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 15:50   #11
gator378
Gator378
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: St. Peters, Mo, USA
Posts: 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-30Jet View Post
Glock has carried over the reliability thought into all their weapons. Yes the chambers are loose. Yes the newer gen 3 weapons have better support for the critical pressure ring area. Tight or match barrels are just that. Reliability with "all" loads will indeed suffer. You will have to tune your loads for your particular weapon. Bullet ogive and profile are a big contributor to reloading very feed-able ammo.

Some of us actually like the pursuit of working up loads.

Anyway think about what you want, better brass support for hotter loads or a tight match chamber for target shooting or a little of both. I don't know if Barstow is still making barrels or not. They would be the guys to talk to. These tubes are not cheap but they are among the very best!
Barstow still going. My G20 has the Barstow and as soon as I save up the money it will get a 6inch Barstow. Never has a problem or a smiley and I load 200 grains close to 1200 fps.
__________________
gator378
gator378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 16:22   #12
JeremyInMT
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeWilly View Post
I don't, just the G20.

I sure hope people don't misinterpret my posts about KKM. I think they make a fine product, I have just found in my circumstance the stock barrels work fine.
my stock barrel seems to do well for everything but hardcast. with hardcast 200gr DT, it's all over the place.
JeremyInMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 16:23   #13
alwaysshootin
Senior Member
 
alwaysshootin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 5,060
I have a 1.5, or 2nd gen, and a almost new 3rd, and neither bulge brass, like my early, and SF, model G20's did! Hope that helps. Oh, and FWIW, there is no way in " h, e," double toothpick, I'd buy a shield or M&P over a G29!!!!!!!!!! I liked my first 29 so much I bought a second!
__________________
If guns kill people, then, I can blame my pencil on my spelling!
alwaysshootin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 17:13   #14
blastfact
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 1,576
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ermytraining View Post
These are very different from a nine mm. Not sure why that would be your next choice. M&P 9 has its own set of issues as well. Factory trigger is nothing like that of a Glock.
I have a M&P 9mm Talo and a .45 FS. There great pistols! The triggers can be delt with very easily with a stone. The grit some have can be taken out with a fine fiber wheel. At no cost to the shooter if they have the simple tools and skill set to do it. None of mine unlock early. They have good guide rods and springs in them. The only things they seem not to do well is look ugly, have a trigger reset like a kids clicker toy. And the brass does not make a resizing die wish it was David Copperfield.

Last edited by blastfact; 08-02-2012 at 17:28..
blastfact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 17:20   #15
blastfact
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 1,576
Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysshootin View Post
I have a 1.5, or 2nd gen, and a almost new 3rd, and neither bulge brass, like my early, and SF, model G20's did! Hope that helps. Oh, and FWIW, there is no way in " h, e," double toothpick, I'd buy a shield or M&P over a G29!!!!!!!!!! I liked my first 29 so much I bought a second!
I see nothing wrong with a Shield or 9c. Well other than there not 10mm's.

I would love to have a shield in 10mm! But oooo would the cry baby's whine over hand pain.
blastfact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 17:41   #16
HOSTIL1
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 24
My brand new G29 has a very loose chamber. I just tried some underwood 180g JHP and every round had the glock smiley.
HOSTIL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 18:21   #17
alwaysshootin
Senior Member
 
alwaysshootin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 5,060
Quote:
Originally Posted by blastfact View Post
I see nothing wrong with a Shield or 9c. Well other than there not 10mm's.

I would love to have a shield in 10mm! But oooo would the cry baby's whine over hand pain.
If I'm going small 9, it will be smaller than those two, first of all, and secondly, the G29 is in no way on the same level as the two previously mentioned. I'll say no more on that subject! Just hard for me to comprehend, how someone, can be considering a G29 purchase, and, if the loose chamber might be an issue, they will opt for a small 9.
__________________
If guns kill people, then, I can blame my pencil on my spelling!
alwaysshootin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 07:59   #18
nickE10mm
F.S.F.O.S.
 
nickE10mm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Wichita, KS
Posts: 4,343
Send a message via AIM to nickE10mm Send a message via MSN to nickE10mm Send a message via Yahoo to nickE10mm
Guys, I went with a Keltec PF9 as a replacement for my old G29 and ended up selling it after a couple months. There is no comparison. Even though the Keltec was light and thin, it didn't give me the same level of satisfaction as carrying around a 9mm... that I could ONLY use for CCW. If I were in the woods or the field, the pistol was basically useless.
__________________
10 Ring #1033 - Longslide #1045 - 10mm Loader #1066

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Why do I carry a 10mm?
“Because a 9mm only kills your body… the 10mm kills your soul.”
nickE10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 22:09   #19
blastfact
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 1,576
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickE10mm View Post
Guys, I went with a Keltec PF9 as a replacement for my old G29 and ended up selling it after a couple months. There is no comparison. Even though the Keltec was light and thin, it didn't give me the same level of satisfaction as carrying around a 9mm... that I could ONLY use for CCW. If I were in the woods or the field, the pistol was basically useless.
I have a PF-9 I carry everyday. And it's got over 7k rounds down the pipe. I don't feel under gunned with it at all.

It's mice to have options.
blastfact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 09:08   #20
nickE10mm
F.S.F.O.S.
 
nickE10mm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Wichita, KS
Posts: 4,343
Send a message via AIM to nickE10mm Send a message via MSN to nickE10mm Send a message via Yahoo to nickE10mm
Quote:
Originally Posted by blastfact View Post
I have a PF-9 I carry everyday. And it's got over 7k rounds down the pipe. I don't feel under gunned with it at all.

It's mice to have options.
Very true about having options!

I liked my Keltec but I just have no use for a 9mm. I figure, while I'm carrying a 9mm, I might as well carry my G29sf. I need a pistol that works well for the field as well as for carry.

__________________
10 Ring #1033 - Longslide #1045 - 10mm Loader #1066

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Why do I carry a 10mm?
“Because a 9mm only kills your body… the 10mm kills your soul.”
nickE10mm is offline   Reply With Quote

 
  
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:30.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 583
160 Members
423 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,672
Aug 11, 2014 at 2:31