Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-28-2012, 11:22   #1
blastfact

G29 Chamber

Are the chambers in current production 29's as sloppy loose as the one in my never shot useless OEM G20?

I would really like to pickup a new 29SF in the next few weeks. But If I'm going to have to go buy a new barrel for it. I may well pass on it and get a Shield or M&P9C.

I still have my 9x25 project to kick off. And it's barrel will be bought.
blastfact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 19:03   #2
_The_Shadow
Ret. Fireman

The chamber on my G-29 FS (not SF) 3rd gen is fairly well supported...
_The_Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 19:58   #3
attrapereves

I do recall seeing a post on here with different OEM barrels over the years and how chamber support has gotten progressively better.
attrapereves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 16:06   #4
nickE10mm
F.S.F.O.S.

Send a message via AIM to nickE10mm Send a message via MSN to nickE10mm Send a message via Yahoo to nickE10mm
My TAN-xxx G29SF has seen some stout loads through it and nary a problem. Slight bulge but nothing too crazy. I'm happy
10 Ring #1033 - Longslide #1045 - 10mm Loader #1066
http://www.bren-ten.com/website/index.html
Why do I carry a 10mm?
“Because a 9mm only kills your body… the 10mm kills your soul.”
nickE10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 17:43   #5
blastfact

Well,,, I thought I had read that the G29 Chamber seemed to be a tad tighter than the G20 Chambers. 3rd Gen that is.

Yes I would agree the 3rd Gen Chambers have more support than 1st and 2nd Gens. But there still sloppy loose beyond sanity. My OEM G20 Chamber is awful in my opinion. I can put a piece of shot / fire formed brass out of my LW Barrel in and it still rattles around in the near worthless OEM G20 Chamber. Theres .010+" slop in that useless chamber.

None of my semi auto pistol's have a chamber as sloppy as my G20's OEM chamber. Not a one. Thus why I've never shot the crap barrel.

I just hate having to go out, buy a G29 and order a barrel for it cause Glock has some whacked out euro trash spec and design theory. I didn't mind it to much for the G20. But that was still money need not be spent if Glock just did it right to start with.

Last edited by blastfact; 07-30-2012 at 17:51..
Old 07-30-2012, 21:25   #6
G-30Jet

Send a message via AIM to G-30Jet
Glock has carried over the reliability thought into all their weapons. Yes the chambers are loose. Yes the newer gen 3 weapons have better support for the critical pressure ring area. Tight or match barrels are just that. Reliability with "all" loads will indeed suffer. You will have to tune your loads for your particular weapon. Bullet ogive and profile are a big contributor to reloading very feed-able ammo.

Some of us actually like the pursuit of working up loads.

Anyway think about what you want, better brass support for hotter loads or a tight match chamber for target shooting or a little of both. I don't know if Barstow is still making barrels or not. They would be the guys to talk to. These tubes are not cheap but they are among the very best!
As an American Adult Male, you are responsible for your self and your familiy's well being. "The Here After" has now been replaced with; "The Indescriminate Now". Unless you have experienced "The Here After", please endeavor to persevere at your current capability. It may be too late to begin your prep now.
G-30Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 18:48   #7
Ermytraining

These are very different from a nine mm. Not sure why that would be your next choice. M&P 9 has its own set of issues as well. Factory trigger is nothing like that of a Glock.
Ermytraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 20:11   #8
WeeWilly

I have a KKM barrel for my G20. There might be a tiny bit less bulge from this barrel when loading max loads, but the difference is not enough for me to take the time to swap barrels from stock these days. I shoot all my loads (hot and not) through my stock G20SF and G29SF barrels. Both guns are pretty recent manufacturer (last year or so). I get slightly better accuracy from my stock barrels. I do run a 22lb ISMI captive RSA on my G20. The G29SF came with the newer style Gen 4 RSA, works perfectly regardless of load levels I throw at it, the slide has never contacted the frame on my G29SF, regardless of load level.
WeeWilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 09:51   #9
JeremyInMT

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeWilly View Post
I have a KKM barrel for my G20. There might be a tiny bit less bulge from this barrel when loading max loads, but the difference is not enough for me to take the time to swap barrels from stock these days. I shoot all my loads (hot and not) through my stock G20SF and G29SF barrels. Both guns are pretty recent manufacturer (last year or so). I get slightly better accuracy from my stock barrels. I do run a 22lb ISMI captive RSA on my G20. The G29SF came with the newer style Gen 4 RSA, works perfectly regardless of load levels I throw at it, the slide has never contacted the frame on my G29SF, regardless of load level.
Do you have a kkm for the 29sf as well? how does it fare with accuracy? i had been thinking about getting one due to how my stock barrel is a bit wild with hard cast bullets.
JeremyInMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 10:03   #10
WeeWilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyInMT View Post
Do you have a kkm for the 29sf as well? how does it fare with accuracy? i had been thinking about getting one due to how my stock barrel is a bit wild with hard cast bullets.
I don't, just the G20.

I sure hope people don't misinterpret my posts about KKM. I think they make a fine product, I have just found in my circumstance the stock barrels work fine.

Last edited by WeeWilly; 08-01-2012 at 10:05..
Old 08-02-2012, 15:50   #11
gator378
Gator378

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-30Jet View Post
Glock has carried over the reliability thought into all their weapons. Yes the chambers are loose. Yes the newer gen 3 weapons have better support for the critical pressure ring area. Tight or match barrels are just that. Reliability with "all" loads will indeed suffer. You will have to tune your loads for your particular weapon. Bullet ogive and profile are a big contributor to reloading very feed-able ammo.

Some of us actually like the pursuit of working up loads.

Anyway think about what you want, better brass support for hotter loads or a tight match chamber for target shooting or a little of both. I don't know if Barstow is still making barrels or not. They would be the guys to talk to. These tubes are not cheap but they are among the very best!
Barstow still going. My G20 has the Barstow and as soon as I save up the money it will get a 6inch Barstow. Never has a problem or a smiley and I load 200 grains close to 1200 fps.
Old 08-02-2012, 16:22   #12
JeremyInMT

Quote:
I don't, just the G20.

I sure hope people don't misinterpret my posts about KKM. I think they make a fine product, I have just found in my circumstance the stock barrels work fine.
my stock barrel seems to do well for everything but hardcast. with hardcast 200gr DT, it's all over the place.
JeremyInMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 16:23   #13
alwaysshootin

I have a 1.5, or 2nd gen, and a almost new 3rd, and neither bulge brass, like my early, and SF, model G20's did! Hope that helps. Oh, and FWIW, there is no way in " h, e," double toothpick, I'd buy a shield or M&P over a G29!!!!!!!!!! I liked my first 29 so much I bought a second!
Old 08-02-2012, 17:13   #14
blastfact

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ermytraining View Post
These are very different from a nine mm. Not sure why that would be your next choice. M&P 9 has its own set of issues as well. Factory trigger is nothing like that of a Glock.
I have a M&P 9mm Talo and a .45 FS. There great pistols! The triggers can be delt with very easily with a stone. The grit some have can be taken out with a fine fiber wheel. At no cost to the shooter if they have the simple tools and skill set to do it. None of mine unlock early. They have good guide rods and springs in them. The only things they seem not to do well is look ugly, have a trigger reset like a kids clicker toy. And the brass does not make a resizing die wish it was David Copperfield.

Last edited by blastfact; 08-02-2012 at 17:28..
Old 08-02-2012, 17:20   #15
blastfact

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysshootin View Post
I have a 1.5, or 2nd gen, and a almost new 3rd, and neither bulge brass, like my early, and SF, model G20's did! Hope that helps. Oh, and FWIW, there is no way in " h, e," double toothpick, I'd buy a shield or M&P over a G29!!!!!!!!!! I liked my first 29 so much I bought a second!
I see nothing wrong with a Shield or 9c. Well other than there not 10mm's.

I would love to have a shield in 10mm! But oooo would the cry baby's whine over hand pain.
Old 08-02-2012, 17:41   #16
HOSTIL1

My brand new G29 has a very loose chamber. I just tried some underwood 180g JHP and every round had the glock smiley.
HOSTIL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 18:21   #17
alwaysshootin

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastfact View Post
I see nothing wrong with a Shield or 9c. Well other than there not 10mm's.

I would love to have a shield in 10mm! But oooo would the cry baby's whine over hand pain.
If I'm going small 9, it will be smaller than those two, first of all, and secondly, the G29 is in no way on the same level as the two previously mentioned. I'll say no more on that subject! Just hard for me to comprehend, how someone, can be considering a G29 purchase, and, if the loose chamber might be an issue, they will opt for a small 9.
Old 08-03-2012, 07:59   #18
nickE10mm
F.S.F.O.S.

Send a message via AIM to nickE10mm Send a message via MSN to nickE10mm Send a message via Yahoo to nickE10mm
Guys, I went with a Keltec PF9 as a replacement for my old G29 and ended up selling it after a couple months. There is no comparison. Even though the Keltec was light and thin, it didn't give me the same level of satisfaction as carrying around a 9mm... that I could ONLY use for CCW. If I were in the woods or the field, the pistol was basically useless.
Why do I carry a 10mm?
Old 08-03-2012, 22:09   #19
blastfact

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickE10mm View Post
Guys, I went with a Keltec PF9 as a replacement for my old G29 and ended up selling it after a couple months. There is no comparison. Even though the Keltec was light and thin, it didn't give me the same level of satisfaction as carrying around a 9mm... that I could ONLY use for CCW. If I were in the woods or the field, the pistol was basically useless.
I have a PF-9 I carry everyday. And it's got over 7k rounds down the pipe. I don't feel under gunned with it at all.

It's mice to have options.
Old 08-04-2012, 09:08   #20
nickE10mm
F.S.F.O.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastfact View Post
I have a PF-9 I carry everyday. And it's got over 7k rounds down the pipe. I don't feel under gunned with it at all.

It's mice to have options.
Very true about having options!

I liked my Keltec but I just have no use for a 9mm. I figure, while I'm carrying a 9mm, I might as well carry my G29sf. I need a pistol that works well for the field as well as for carry.

Why do I carry a 10mm?
Old 08-04-2012, 11:12   #21
WeeWilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSTIL1 View Post
My brand new G29 has a very loose chamber. I just tried some underwood 180g JHP and every round had the glock smiley.
Interesting, I have shot every weight and flavor of Underwood 10mm ammo through my G29SF and have not had a single smiley.
Old 08-04-2012, 12:05   #22
alwaysshootin

Quote:
Interesting, I have shot every weight and flavor of Underwood 10mm ammo through my G29SF and have not had a single smiley.
Glock 10MM's, are like a box of chocolates, when it comes to the barrel chamber support. You never know what you are going to get. Have had 5 of their offerings. Two of the factory barrels were terrible, with bulges, and the other three, have been perfect. Not even the slightest bulge, and, for the most part everything ran through them is the best the 10 has to offer in performance!
Old 08-04-2012, 13:46   #23
nickE10mm
F.S.F.O.S.

Quote:
My same experience.
Why do I carry a 10mm?
Old 08-04-2012, 14:16   #24
Opie 1 Kenopie
Regular Guy

Gotta run. Me and the 29SF are accompanying the wife to lunch and WalMart!
Old 08-05-2012, 14:41   #25
blastfact

We all know support has improved concerning Glock Chambers. But there over all sloppy nature is suspect IMHO.

I also never said a G29 would be carried concealed. Honestly IMHO Glock bricks wont be carried concealed. Would I carry a G29 open? You bet I would! But I will stay with 9mm in deep conceal.

Members: I like the 10mm. I think it is the best combat round ever developed for a auto pistol. I was a early adopter. I was one of the many that found out the hard way the Colt DE's where wicked great pistols. But could not handle a steady diet of real much less hot 10mm ammo. And they still can't.

The contrast is Glock! Once they started making a 10mm pistol they have stuck by it! For that dedication I bought one. A G20 with a barrel that has good support. But a really sloppy chamber like everything else they make.

I like my G20!
The 10 Ring

Why? It's the round. It's the 10mm wonderful auto pistol round the Glock launch's with ease if you set it up right. It will let a shooter explore the insane world of 10mm if your a reloader. And it's deadly accurate out to 100 yards with the stock sites.

Just blows my mind how Glock can put this wonderful platform together and blow the barrel and chamber.