Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-11-2012, 19:39   #1
Keri_TX

Texas woman chiming in!

Hello all. My name is Keri and my husband and I live in north Texas. We've both become amateur gun enthusiasts over the last year 1/2, mostly handguns but want to become proficient and knowledgeable about rifles and shotguns as well. We're in our early 40's and have obtained our CHL licenses (I just took my test two weeks ago!). We've only had Rugers so far, but today we bought our first Glock, the Gen4 19, for me to purse-carry. We're going to the range tomorrow to test it out and I'm really looking forward to it.

Hope to chat with you all soon!
Keri_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 19:42   #2
GLOCK17DB9

Welcome, congrats and enjoy the G19
Old 07-11-2012, 20:08   #3
bac1023

to GT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 20:22   #4
ithaca_deerslayer

My wife has a purse with a separate holster pocket designed for a gun, and accessible from the end of the purse.

If I were to carry a Glock chambered with a round and carried in a purse, that's how I would do it
ithaca_deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 20:42   #5
Raven1967

Welcome to GT!
Old 07-11-2012, 21:26   #6
Maester Aemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithaca_deerslayer View Post
My wife has a purse with a separate holster pocket designed for a gun, and accessible from the end of the purse.

If I were to carry a Glock chambered with a round and carried in a purse, that's how I would do it
this.
Maester Aemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 21:32   #7
janice6
Platinum Membership
NRA

Welcome. I can't tell you how good it is to hear about a husband and wife getting their CCW. (Avatar not withstanding - I am a guy).

I firmly believe women should be able to defend themselves from any threat. If it means carry a gun, so be it.

My wife has several CCW purses. As mentioned, they have special holster access via Velcro, in each end of the purse to allow griping the weapon. The straps also have aircraft cable in them to prevent them from being cut. If you have to carry in a purse, these are excellent options. (with a revolver you can walk with your hand on the gun inside the purse, and if necessary, you can even fire it without taking your hand out. Good for parking lots without showing a weapon.

You chose a very nice gun and it will serve you well. Practice a lot and get proficient with it. It will do you no good if you don't have confidence in yourself and your ability to use it.

Think seriously about the conditions that you feel will require you to shoot to protect yourself, and make your decision to use it before it is necessary.

When you need a weapon is not the time for indecision about using it. You will lose. You also cannot use it to solve problems where deadly force is not necessary.

You have to know ahead of time, the line in the sand where it is no longer an option not to shoot, then you will have to live with that decision.

Welcome to the group and I know you will have a good time. Shooting can be a really fun social activity also.

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". Anonymous

Earp: Not everyone who knows you hates you.
DOC: I know it ain't always easy bein' my friend....but I'll BE THERE when you need me.
janice6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 23:33   #8
mymini40

Welcome!
mymini40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 02:01   #9
Glock40man

Welcome to GT and, congrats on your G19!
Old 07-12-2012, 02:12   #10
Folsom_Prison
Brew Crew

Welcome!
Folsom_Prison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 06:44   #11
Keri_TX

Thank you!

Thanks to all for the warm welcomes! To those who mentioned the carry purses, I've definitely been looking at them as well as regular purses that will fit the bill - i.e., a dedicated, accessible pocket in the middle section. I'm a "big purse" kinda gal anyway so can easily conceal even a full size handgun like our Ruger SR9. I also have a Ruger LC9 if I ever want to carry on my person, which I'd like to do but really have trouble concealing. I don't wear overly tight or skimpy clothing, but am a small person living in a hot state! I don't like the way the LC9 shoots, though, so I may eventually look at the Glock 26 for body-carry. I do think most of my carrying will be done in the purse, and I'm definitely planning out the best method and means so I am prepared for anything. My husband had been pressing me to get the CHL (he got his last year), but I didn't feel experienced enough until I got more range time in, and honestly, a scary incident in a parking lot recently convinced me of the necessity. I feel so much more empowered, even while hoping I never have to even draw my gun. I'm prepared, I've practiced (and will continue to), and feel much more confident in my ability to defend myself if need be.

Thanks again for all the kind words and I look forward to talking with you all. And I'll let you know how my first Glock range trip goes today!
Old 07-12-2012, 06:59   #12
ca survivor

ca survivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 08:35   #13
oily_oink
###########

From Michigan!
Old 07-12-2012, 11:10   #14
GlockFanBoy4Life

Thats awesome! Welcome to GT!
GlockFanBoy4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 15:18   #15
ithaca_deerslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keri_TX View Post
To those who mentioned the carry purses, I've definitely been looking at them as well as regular purses that will fit the bill - i.e., a dedicated, accessible pocket in the middle section. I'm a "big purse" kinda gal anyway so can easily conceal even a full size handgun like our Ruger SR9. I also have a Ruger LC9 if I ever want to carry on my person, which I'd like to do but really have trouble concealing.
The main thing I wanted to point out, and it may very well be obvious to you, is that a Glock does not have a thumb safety, and the trigger pull is relatively light.

So, the nice thing about a built-in holster purse is that it safely covers the trigger on Glocks and similar guns. Also usually has a velcro strap to keep the gun exactly where you left it, for a better draw.

Those features are also nice for guns that do have thumb safeties

Last edited by ithaca_deerslayer; 07-12-2012 at 15:19..
Old 07-12-2012, 15:45   #16
Keri_TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithaca_deerslayer View Post
The main thing I wanted to point out, and it may very well be obvious to you, is that a Glock does not have a thumb safety, and the trigger pull is relatively light.

So, the nice thing about a built-in holster purse is that it safely covers the trigger on Glocks and similar guns. Also usually has a velcro strap to keep the gun exactly where you left it, for a better draw.

Those features are also nice for guns that do have thumb safeties
That brings up a question for me of whether to carry chambered or not. I AM SO NERVOUS about doing that with the Glock, since there is no thumb safety, as you mention. I will definitely have it holstered no matter what, but the thought of having it ready to go with no thumb safety makes my belly churn. I'll carry it unchambered for awhile, and while I know it's a disadvantage unless I can move really quickly I just want to get used to the idea. So that might be a good question for me to post in another thread: how many of you who carry a Glock or similar pistol with no safety carry it chambered and ready to go?
Old 07-12-2012, 15:50   #17
alexanderg23

Welcome sounds like y'all are one the right track! Sound like a good idea would be to find a good local instructor and either take a class or private lessons. You learn more than you could ever imagine. I'd bet if you give your general location some TX GTers could recommend a good instrustor in your area.
Old 07-12-2012, 16:34   #18
xidica

Really glad to hear you took the plunge and got your CHL.

Regarding chambered carry, there are simply too many disadvantages to not carry with one in the pipe.

Carry it chambered and keep it in the holster. If you're uncomfortable; carry it cocked but no round in the chamber for a while and see if it ever gets fired.

Also, just something to think about: purse carry can be a problem if an assailant takes your purse(a pretty common target for thieves, and now you have armed a criminal unintentionally). If you carry a full size in the purse it's a good idea to carry a smaller gun on you (lcp, lcr, p380, bodyguard, etc)
Old 07-12-2012, 17:39   #19
jph02

jph02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 19:10   #20
ithaca_deerslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keri_TX View Post
So that might be a good question for me to post in another thread: how many of you who carry a Glock or similar pistol with no safety carry it chambered and ready to go?
You'll probably find 95% on GT carry it chambered. And then a big thread war will take place between those two groups. Lots of name calling, doubting of skills, questioning of sanity, and eventual threadlock. That topic comes up every week