Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-16-2012, 23:55   #1
glockbanger

Looking to Buy first AR

I'm thinking of going with this BCM upper

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-M...urg-gov-20.htm

and with a standard BCM lower.

1)I'd like to know what rail you suggest adding the naked upper I'm considering? ... And, are there any complications with mounting a rail to an upper with a fixed front site?

2)I'm pretty set on going with the 20" barrel. But if you guys have any other suggestions as to which direction I should take, feel free. I see that this upper has the chrome bore and chamber... are there any other important features I should be looking for?

EDIT:3) How much more do Noveske ARs run than BCM?

Last edited by glockbanger; 10-17-2012 at 00:03..
glockbanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 00:47   #2
arushus
Biggest Member

Dont forget to get the bcm bolt carrier group and charging handle. BCM makes excellent products.
Spike's Tactical Enhanced CHF 16" Mid-Length M4
These Red Letters Help me find my post!!!
arushus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 03:04   #3
Clutch Cargo
Amsterdam Haze

20" barrel makes me think this will be more a varmint weapon and less a defensive weapon?
Old 10-17-2012, 07:27   #4
glockbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutch Cargo View Post
20" barrel makes me think this will be more a varmint weapon and less a defensive weapon?
I'll be hunting with it as well, so dual purpose.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:09   #5
MrMurphy
Lifetime Membership

Get the full length MOE handguard.

No need for a full length rail for a hunting/varmint rifle honestly. The freefloat is nice but if you're shooting from a bag or rest, not exactly necessary. Also saves some weight.

I don't have much use for the 20", a 16 will do anything a 20 will inside 300m especially scoped, but there's nothing really wrong with it.
"And Shepherds we shall be. For thee, my Lord for thee. Power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be. In nomine Patris, et fili, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen."
MrMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:36   #6
mjkeat

How about a 13 or 15" Troy Tube? The 13" weighs 11.43oz. roughly 2 oz. more than the 11". I'd think the 15" weighs 13 1/2oz. The Magpul rifle length MOE weighs almost 15oz. not counting the FSP which would be heavier than a shaved down FSP.

For hunting wouldn't the extra weight savings and free floated tube add to the experience?

I also agree that a 16" might fit the OPs general purpose plans better than the 20".
mjkeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 23:25   #7
glockbanger

Thanks guys, all good suggestion. I should have said this earlier, the type of rail I'm interested in is one that you can add rail partitions onto at will(not sure what they're called). But a long one.
Old 10-17-2012, 23:35   #8
WoodenPlank
Who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by glockbanger View Post
Thanks guys, all good suggestion. I should have said this earlier, the type of rail I'm interested in is one that you can add rail partitions onto at will(not sure what they're called). But a long one.
Then I would suggest either the Troy offerings, or a Daniel Defense MFR.

You can do much the same thing with the MOE handguards, too, for a much lower price. The down side is the MOE handguards are not free floated, but they are much less expensive.

Last edited by WoodenPlank; 10-17-2012 at 23:35..
WoodenPlank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 23:45   #9
NeverMore1701
Platinum Membership
Fear no evil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
How about a 13 or 15" Troy Tube? The 13" weighs 11.43oz. roughly 2 oz. more than the 11". I'd think the 15" weighs 13 1/2oz. The Magpul rifle length MOE weighs almost 15oz. not counting the FSP which would be heavier than a shaved down FSP.

For hunting wouldn't the extra weight savings and free floated tube add to the experience?

I also agree that a 16" might fit the OPs general purpose plans better than the 20".
I love my 15" VTAC Alpha, it's a hair lighter than the rifle MOE handguards and associated hardware. Will be replacing the MOEs on my midlength with them as well.
For the last time
NeverMore1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 11:50   #10
glockbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by arushus View Post
Dont forget to get the bcm bolt carrier group and charging handle. BCM makes excellent products.
Which ones?
Old 10-19-2012, 23:19   #11
Hour13
Tah-dah!

Quote:
Which ones?
This...

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-B...0auto%20mp.htm

and one of these...

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCMGU...ndle-s/123.htm

If something is out of stock, click the "email me" button. Wait for the email, then jump on it. Quickly.

Quote:
She can't say stupid stuff with her mouth full of sausage.
Quote:
I have no problem charging somebody stark nekid, with a TP tail hanging from my butt... Maybe they'll go to their maker with a smile on their face.
Hour13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 14:19   #12
arushus
Biggest Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hour13 View Post
This...

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-B...0auto%20mp.htm

and one of these...

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCMGU...ndle-s/123.htm

If something is out of stock, click the "email me" button. Wait for the email, then jump on it. Quickly.

These are good suggestions. I was just trying to remind you to pick these items up since BCM doesnt sell them with their uppers.
Spike's Tactical Enhanced CHF 16" Mid-Length M4
These Red Letters Help me find my post!!!
arushus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 17:44   #13
glockbanger

Thanks for the direction with the parts.
Do you prefer the large or medium latch charging handle?

Also, I'm now thinking about this upper
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-S...m4-16socom.htm
It's the socom profile, carbine length gas upper.
My question is, what kind of rail will I be able to attach to this and how hard will it be with the fixed front sight?

Do I need a low profile gas block and an upper w/o a front sight to accomodate a rail like the Troy alpha? If I could find one, I'd go with a 16" medium profile barrel, low profile gas, and no front sight. Any suggestions?
Old 10-20-2012, 18:21   #14
TactiCool

Quote:
Thanks for the direction with the parts.
Do you prefer the large or medium latch charging handle?

Also, I'm now thinking about this upper
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-S...m4-16socom.htm
It's the socom profile, carbine length gas upper.
My question is, what kind of rail will I be able to attach to this and how hard will it be with the fixed front sight?

Do I need a low profile gas block and an upper w/o a front sight to accomodate a rail like the Troy alpha? If I could find one, I'd go with a 16" medium profile barrel, low profile gas, and no front sight. Any suggestions?
If you're getting a 16" then get a mid-length gas system. Also that heavy barrel will do nothing for you unless you plan on alot of sustained F/A. Gov't profile is ideal for your needs. It's what I use.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-1...urg-mid-16.htm

As for rails, you should decide what length you want. If you need longer than 9'', cutting down the FSB to fit a longer one is pretty straight forward. There are plenty of youtube vids on that. If you're not a DIY sort then just buy the upper with the rail that you want.

For latch size, that is personal preference.
TactiCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 18:34   #15
glockbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by TactiCool View Post
If you're getting a 16" then get a mid-length gas system. Also that heavy barrel will do nothing for you unless you plan on alot of sustained F/A. Gov't profile is ideal for your needs. It's what I use.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-1...urg-mid-16.htm

As for rails, you should decide what length you want. If you need longer than 9'', cutting down the FSB to fit a longer one is pretty straight forward. There are plenty of youtube vids on that. If you're not a DIY sort then just buy the upper with the rail that you want.

For latch size, that is personal preference.
I'd like the longer gas system, the carbine length is all that I found avail. at from BCM. The heavier barrel just makes me feel better, and I'm not concerned about weight. If I could install a nice rail without having to alter the FSB, that's what I'd do. I just don't know how complicated that is? As for latch size, the big one looks good to me, I've only shot a couple ARs and I'm not sure what they had, so I haven't been able to form my own opinion. As long as the big one doesn't get in the way, that's what I'd go with.
Old 10-20-2012, 19:54   #16
TactiCool

Quote:
I'd like the longer gas system, the carbine length is all that I found avail. at from BCM. The heavier barrel just makes me feel better, and I'm not concerned about weight. If I could install a nice rail without having to alter the FSB, that's what I'd do. I just don't know how complicated that is? As for latch size, the big one looks good to me, I've only shot a couple ARs and I'm not sure what they had, so I haven't been able to form my own opinion. As long as the big one doesn't get in the way, that's what I'd go with.
The socom profile will give you absoluely zero benefits over the gov't. and will make the rifle balance poorly once you start adding accessories. You will really notice the extra weight when you add a rail and start putting things on it. But if a 9-10 lb. gun is what you want to end up with, go ahead.

There is really only one option for a free float drop-in rail that requires zero modifications:

https://danieldefense.com/rail-systems.html?cat=42
Old 10-20-2012, 20:34   #17
glockbanger

Quote:
The socom profile will give you absoluely zero benefits over the gov't. and will make the rifle balance poorly once you start adding accessories. You will really notice the extra weight when you add a rail and start putting things on it. But if a 9-10 lb. gun is what you want to end up with, go ahead.

There is really only one option for a free float drop-in rail that requires zero modifications:

https://danieldefense.com/rail-systems.html?cat=42
And does this rail fit over the standard profile gas block?

How has Daniel Defense changed the install?

I wouldn't mind having to install a rail, just wondering what's involved in doing so if there is a FSB and standard profile gas block?
Old 10-20-2012, 20:52   #18
TactiCool

Quote:
And does this rail fit over the standard profile gas block?

How has Daniel Defense changed the install?

I wouldn't mind having to install a rail, just wondering what's involved in doing so if there is a FSB and standard profile gas block?
It's a two-piece drop in. The two halves bolt together around the barrel nut and screws apply pressure to the nut to keep it from shifting. It is rock solid and will maintain zero with optics mounted onto it. There are plenty of install vids on youtube.
Old 10-20-2012, 21:10   #19
glockbanger

Quote:
It's a two-piece drop in. The two halves bolt together around the barrel nut and screws apply pressure to the nut to keep it from shifting. It is rock solid and will maintain zero with optics mounted onto it. There are plenty of install vids on youtube.
Thanks, sounds like "the stuff".
Old 10-20-2012, 22:00   #20
glockbanger

I'm thinking of going with BCM Mid-16, BCM RECCE 16, or Colt LE6920 SOCOM.

For one reason, BCM lowers can't be ordered ATM, but also just to simplify things. I may be able to save $100 on sights if I go with the Mid-16, but I settle for carbine length gas. BCM has a lifetime warranty, whereas Colt does not. The only thing I really want missing from the BCM rifles is the SOCOM barrel profile. Does anyone else besides Colt make a complete rifle with a SOCOM barrel?

What exactly is the difference in the BCM rails? I notice that with the RECCE, the barrel nut is not visible. What does this mean?

Last edited by glockbanger; 10-20-2012 at 22:30..