SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-10-2011, 17:39   #1
jakebrake
cracker

sks newbie

so, i bought a norinco sks. had a bipod, a scope, and a 20 round magazine. cruciform bayonet? check! cleaning rod i will never use? got one!

here's where things get stupid( half of you are snickering at "norinco" and saying

"Here is where it gets stupid?"

okay, tapco stocks. what do you guys think? i figured, may not be a bad idea. anyone here make the move, and want to share a yay/nay?

Last edited by jakebrake; 05-10-2011 at 17:40..
jakebrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 18:39   #2
Duece McCracken

I have one on my Yugo, it makes it more appropriately sized for a person of my stature. The only real negative is the weight distribution gets thrown forward. I don't mind, but people can be whiners... lol.
PA Glocker #302
Survival/Preparedness Club #302
NRA Member
G20 owner/lover
If you haven't learned something today, then you are not living properly.
Duece McCracken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 19:45   #3
jakebrake
cracker

feasterville???? howdy neighbor! (warminster)

i don't mind weight distribution too much. i understand the side folder ati stocks have a lot of wiggle at the hinge. the tapco stuff always seemed very good quality. just figured i'd ask before i bolt one on, and find out they stink.
Old 05-23-2011, 15:06   #4
ReyFufuRulesAll
Pantless Wonder

Tapco makes a good stuff. However, the "stupid" started at the scope, as well as the aftermarket mag (unless it was a tapco.)

Anything you can't do pantless, isn't worth doing.
ReyFufuRulesAll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 04:28   #5
Veedubklown

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakebrake View Post
so, i bought a norinco sks. had a bipod, a scope, and a 20 round magazine. cruciform bayonet? check! cleaning rod i will never use? got one!

here's where things get stupid( half of you are snickering at "norinco" and saying

"Here is where it gets stupid?"

okay, tapco stocks. what do you guys think? i figured, may not be a bad idea. anyone here make the move, and want to share a yay/nay?
I have no issues with my norinco, and haven't had any "SKS snobs" tell me it's junky, so I see no problems with em. The tapco stocks are light as heck, but Duece is right - the weight gets shoved forward really quick.

How is your scope mounted? The best way to do those is with a reciever mount, not the cover or heat-shield, if you really want it to be accurate, and hold zero.

Other than that, I really like my tapco stock.
Old 06-01-2011, 22:01   #6
ReyFufuRulesAll
Pantless Wonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veedubklown View Post
I have no issues with my norinco, and haven't had any "SKS snobs" tell me it's junky, so I see no problems with em. The tapco stocks are light as heck, but Duece is right - the weight gets shoved forward really quick.

How is your scope mounted? The best way to do those is with a reciever mount, not the cover or heat-shield, if you really want it to be accurate, and hold zero.

Other than that, I really like my tapco stock.
The SKS is not a snobby gun, it is a back-of-the-pickup gun. :D

Old 06-02-2011, 00:19   #7
Veedubklown

Tell it to the guys who have spent more time polishing their fine Yugoslavian lumber than I have pulling my Chinese trigger.

Last edited by Veedubklown; 06-02-2011 at 00:22..
Veedubklown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 12:39   #8
ReyFufuRulesAll
Pantless Wonder

Quote:
Tell it to the guys who have spent more time polishing their fine Yugoslavian lumber than I have pulling my Chinese trigger.
those people are misled. The SKS is a plinker's gun. If you want something to polish, get a nice Mauser. That ammo is almost too expensive to shoot anyway.

Old 06-05-2011, 22:01   #9
Veedubklown

I'm also a member over at Survivor's SKS boards, and those dudes are crazy with their NVA bring-backs, albys, etc. $1500 SKSs, that look like they beat tent poles with, bores black. "I'll never shoot it, it's a piece of history!" Ya dude. w/e. Different strokes I suppose.

I've been looking around at k98's though, just because my buddy has such a heartbreak for the one he sold.
Old 06-05-2011, 22:19   #10
frank_drebin
1-man flash mob

In my opinion Norinco SKS's and AK's are the best of their ilk. I hate Tapco stocks though.
frank_drebin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 10:44   #11
Veedubklown

SKS Carbiners

SKS Carbiners
Old 06-07-2011, 07:48   #12
Range Rat

I like that configuration/stock quite a bit. Is that a TAPCO?
Range Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 09:07   #13
Veedubklown

sure is, but with a cheesegrater forward handguard. Still US made, still 922r Compliant. Here's the build thread.
Old 06-11-2011, 18:48   #14
FireForged
Millenium #3936

I am probably the wrong guy to ask... I like my SKS unmodified and in original configuration.
Old 06-11-2011, 23:41   #15
Veedubklown

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireForged View Post
I am probably the wrong guy to ask... I like my SKS unmodified and in original configuration.
The sks is a fine rifle in it's stock configuration, and worked well for it's time. So is the model T. Both can benefit from some modernization, if desired.

There's alot you can do to the SKS, without changing it's outward appearance, to just make it a better, safer rifle. The trigger work I did to mine is a prime example. Even with that trigger group in a stock rifle, it would be quite a benefit.
Old 06-12-2011, 06:37   #16
Range Rat

VeeDubKlown, where did you get your cheese grater? I like the configuration you have. I'm torn between (among?) a Tapco T6, a Dragunov and a Choate folder.

Last edited by Range Rat; 06-12-2011 at 06:38.. Reason: punctuation error
Old 06-12-2011, 09:20   #17
FireForged
Millenium #3936

Quote:
The sks is a fine rifle in it's stock configuration, and worked well for it's time. So is the model T. Both can benefit from some modernization, if desired.

There's alot you can do to the SKS, without changing it's outward appearance, to just make it a better, safer rifle. The trigger work I did to mine is a prime example. Even with that trigger group in a stock rifle, it would be quite a benefit.
Most common add-on's to the sks seem to be geared more towards making the sks into some "other" kind of rifle resulting in questionable reliability and less about make the sks a better rifle.

Last edited by FireForged; 06-12-2011 at 09:23..
FireForged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 04:22   #18
PAPACHUCK

Quote:
Most common add-on's to the sks seem to be geared more towards making the sks into some "other" kind of rifle resulting in questionable reliability and less about make the sks a better rifle.
There is nothing "unreliable" about this SKS, and I think it's "better".......
SKS Carbiners

Same goes for this one.......

SKS Carbiners

But, I also like them like this.....

SKS Carbiners

GT S/P Code: 18SE-AdeGi (eh..who cares now)
PAPACHUCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 06:03   #19
Range Rat

Great pics and good point, Papachuck.
Old 06-13-2011, 09:36   #20
Veedubklown

Quote:
Most people equate the modifying of the SKS to "trying to make an AK. Shoulda just bought an AK" Well the fact that the only thing they have in common is the cartridge they shoot, really makes that moot. Sure putting a pistol grip on it makes it look more like an AK. Putting an adjustable stock on it makes it look more like an AR. Doesn't mean I'm trying to make an inacurate or smaller caliber rifle. Pistol grips, removable mags, folding stocks, are all just things that can make a rifle of limited capacity, more versatile. Versatility is always better.

I don't need removeable mags, mine still works with stripper clips. I don't need a pistol grip, but it's more ergonomic. I also don't need a bayonet, so I cut it off!

Reliability of it is key, and I still have no issues, (except when it was loaded with cosmoline), but with it having a really crummy trigger and the 1 slamfire I had, some things needed to be done. I still have no issues with it, it shoots better, and will never slamfire again.

These aren't vietcong bringback rifles that are pieces of history (I hope!), they're a surplus rifle built in bulk made to be disposable to military standards. They made millions.

I got the cheesegrater from SKS Man, but they're available anywhere. Ebay, other websites. They're all made by 1 of 2 companies. If you do any modifications to the rest of the rifle stock (pistol grip, removable magazine, muzzle brake) read up on 922r compliance. It's a fun game, and the law. If you keep the internal mag and rifle stock, you can get the one made in china. I think this only applys to SKS's from china, as well.

That choate stock I've always felt looks cheap, feels cheap, and it will be forward heavy. It already is with my Tapco stock. The dragonov stocks are nice, but remember with any of these your adding prohibited features to look into 922r.

Last edited by Veedubklown; 06-13-2011 at 09:43..
Veedubklown is offline   Reply With Quote