Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-07-2012, 18:32   #1
buzzkill

Glock 20 accuracy

What are you guys getting for accuracy with your Glock 20? I am curious as to what distance, bullet weight and barrel you where using (if not stock).

Last edited by buzzkill; 07-07-2012 at 18:32..
buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 20:18   #2
Opie 1 Kenopie
Regular Guy

That's a pretty subjective question Buzz. Each shooter's answers will be different depending on whether he shot rested or offhand, hot loads or weak, FNHC or hollow point.

Suffice to say, my G20 is wicked accurate. Plenty accurate for hunting or common SD scenarios. A guy can give you numbers here, but what does that really mean to you with your G20?
Old 07-07-2012, 20:37   #3
PsTaN

I had the same question a few months ago. I've since bought my own 20 and can give you some round-a-bout numbers.

Glock 20C
Wolff Guide Rod and 22lbs Spring
KKM 6" barrel

I'm able to shoot 2" groups at 20 yards from a rest using Remington UMC 180gr. Obviously, that expands with distance. I find the gun to be much more accurate than I am.

PsTaN
PsTaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 20:42   #4
buzzkill

Well said Opie, it is pretty subjective. With that being said, I guess I am just wondering if the Glock 20 is know for it's accuracy, overall.
buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 23:09   #5
WeeWilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzkill View Post
Well said Opie, it is pretty subjective. With that being said, I guess I am just wondering if the Glock 20 is know for it's accuracy, overall.
My G20SF running my 180gr jacketed loads is as accurate as my best 1911 using my killer 200gr LSWC loads.

To give you some feel for how good this caliber and gun is, I only have two 1911's left and will soon only have one left. I just bought another G20SF. This is coming from a 1911'ophile.

Last edited by WeeWilly; 07-08-2012 at 09:27.. Reason: Oops meant G20SF...
WeeWilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 23:59   #6
Berto
woo woo

Last time out, I ran 25rnds of AE 180gr into 4.5" at 25yrds offhand.
I don't typically rest or bench my pistols, but I'm sure it's good for anything I need under 50yrds.

The 10 Ring
Old 07-08-2012, 06:17   #7
uz2bUSMC
10mm defender

9 rnds 3 1/2" at 50yds from a rest. Lone Wolfe 6" bbl, ATS sights 3.5lb connector (broke at 4lbs) and it was either pmc or umc ammo, can't remember which.

- "Our country went through a transition during the last election where the parasites came together and outnumbered the hosts." -jdavionic
uz2bUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 07:27   #8
alwaysshootin

I get one, ragged hole, single shot groups, at 3 inches!
Old 07-08-2012, 09:50   #9
blastfact

Both loads over book. ( HOT HOT HOT ) Off hand @ 50 yards. 686P fired double action. All slow fire. The 686P is more accurate than the G20. But the big 10 is a tame monster.

The 10 Ring

Last edited by blastfact; 07-08-2012 at 09:51..
blastfact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 10:19   #10
copo9560

My 20SF appears to be a very accurate pistol as well. Can put entire mag on a paper plate offhand at 50 yards. Ammo Underwood 165 as well as some Winchester Silvertips. Only mods 3.5 connector and 25 cent trigger job.

Biggest issue I have is stock sights are way too BIG to use at this range. Looking to replace them with something a little more target friendly. Not to hijack thread but if anyone has suggestions here I would like to hear them.
copo9560 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 22:07   #11
Taterhead
Counting Beans

My G20 groups very well with most loads. 10 rounds inside 1.5" @ 15 yards. If I were a better shooter it would be tighter than that. I have a pretty prounounced astigmastism in my dominant eye so it is tough to see fine targets at 25 yards.

I was blamming away at a 220 yard steel (18" X 12") gong last weekend offhand. When I did my part and broke the trigger on target, the rounds hit the target every time. I was shooting a 180 gr Powerbond fp bullet pushed by Blue Dot @ 1125 fps. I missed a lot, but "calling my shots," the bullets went where they were pointed. Blue Dot noticeably gives the tightest groups. Accurate #9 has shown consistently good groups too.

Bottom line, with good loads, the G20 shoots better than I do.
Old 07-08-2012, 22:27   #12
The Pirate
HARRRRR!!!

I can hit pretty decent at 100 yards with mine. For some reason my fairly hot blue dot loads do the best.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
Old 07-08-2012, 23:06   #13
CanyonMan
In The Saddle

Man the G20 and other Glock OEM (stock barrels) barrels are as accurate as they can be. We have a particular place on the ranch to shoot out to 600yds. That is a loooong way amigo. No, I do not always hit what I am shooting at even with the big bore revolvers..

BUT, I can tell you the truth here that out at 300yds in this canyon, It is NOT at all uncommon to hit basket ball size caliche rocks against the red clay background with the Glocks, been doing it for years. Yes it does take practice and many years of shooting, and tons of shooting all the time. No magic about it....

I am simply saying that as per your specific question, the G20 I own, will pop these white caliche rocks, which explode like a sack of flour, when hit. And the G20 will and does (with my hand loads at least) shoot very well at 100yds, and yes I have misses, out further, but it is me and 61 year old eyes, haha, but I regularly hit at even 300yds these basketball size powderd rocks and targets. I see no advantage to after market barrels as for accuracy.

Hope this will encourage you. I shoot 98% Hard Cast bullets, but no matter what I am shooting, the G20 and all the Glocks I got shoot very well out at very long range. My revolvers, well, they shoot easier for me out there, but the locks are no slouch, and hold thier own well.

Really like the G20 10mm... Very nice weapon. The 10mm is a very good caliber and shoots nice and flat with a full house load and proper bullet..

Go with confidence, the gun will do it. Just practice and shoot a great deal and have confidence in the gun. It is a good shooter for semi auto !

Have fun!

CM

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Jesus said: You who are without sin cast the first stone.. John 8: 7
CanyonMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 00:11   #14
robert91922

I found my Glock 20 to be very accurate w. full power XTP and GDHP loads. No problem to hit 9 or 10 ring at 25 meters (27 yards) if shooter does his job well.. Full power (1250 fps) hardcast 212 grainers (23 BHN hardness) need an aftermarket barrel w. classic rifling for such accuracy. But even HC's are accurate enough with oem barrel if loaded lighter, between 1050-1100 fps.
I use 4.5" barrels - oem and IGB.

Last edited by robert91922; 07-09-2012 at 00:12..
robert91922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 11:12   #15
hubcap500

Remember there are 3 factors to accuracy. The gun, the ammo, the shooter. While I haven't been able to do a lot of accuracy work ups and testing, I've been considering those groups averaging 2-3" @ 25 yds off sandbags as good.

Last edited by hubcap500; 07-09-2012 at 11:14..
hubcap500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 14:24   #16
countrygun

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanyonMan View Post
Man the G20 and other Glock OEM (stock barrels) barrels are as accurate as they can be. We have a particular place on the ranch to shoot out to 600yds. That is a loooong way amigo. No, I do not always hit what I am shooting at even with the big bore revolvers..

BUT, I can tell you the truth here that out at 300yds in this canyon, It is NOT at all uncommon to hit basket ball size caliche rocks against the red clay background with the Glocks, been doing it for years. Yes it does take practice and many years of shooting, and tons of shooting all the time. No magic about it....

I am simply saying that as per your specific question, the G20 I own, will pop these white caliche rocks, which explode like a sack of flour, when hit. And the G20 will and does (with my hand loads at least) shoot very well at 100yds, and yes I have misses, out further, but it is me and 61 year old eyes, haha, but I regularly hit at even 300yds these basketball size powderd rocks and targets. I see no advantage to after market barrels as for accuracy.

Hope this will encourage you. I shoot 98% Hard Cast bullets, but no matter what I am shooting, the G20 and all the Glocks I got shoot very well out at very long range. My revolvers, well, they shoot easier for me out there, but the locks are no slouch, and hold thier own well.

Really like the G20 10mm... Very nice weapon. The 10mm is a very good caliber and shoots nice and flat with a full house load and proper bullet..

Go with confidence, the gun will do it. Just practice and shoot a great deal and have confidence in the gun. It is a good shooter for semi auto !

Have fun!

CM

I am going to take a guess and say that his lead bullets run at least 200 gns.

I am of the opinion, without a lot of fancy numbers to it, after shooting a lot of .45Colt, .44 mag, .41 mag and a little less 10mm, that there is some sort of "ballistic coefficient/sectional density/ magic fairy dust" thing that goes on with 40-41 cal bullets at around 200-220 grains. (sort of like 6.5 rifle bullets around 140 gns and heavier). For all the accuracy I CAN get out of my S&W and Ruger .44s I can do as well with my Smith and Ruger .41s with a lot less "fiddling around" .

I am still "messing around" with my new 20sf but I have quickly come to the conclusion that it is noticably more accurate than my 22c. I hope to get some long range in before the end of summer.
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 14:49   #17
CanyonMan
In The Saddle

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygun View Post
I am going to take a guess and say that his lead bullets run at least 200 gns.

I am of the opinion, without a lot of fancy numbers to it, after shooting a lot of .45Colt, .44 mag, .41 mag and a little less 10mm, that there is some sort of "ballistic coefficient/sectional density/ magic fairy dust" thing that goes on with 40-41 cal bullets at around 200-220 grains. (sort of like 6.5 rifle bullets around 140 gns and heavier). For all the accuracy I CAN get out of my S&W and Ruger .44s I can do as well with my Smith and Ruger .41s with a lot less "fiddling around" .

I am still "messing around" with my new 20sf but I have quickly come to the conclusion that it is noticably more accurate than my 22c. I hope to get some long range in before the end of summer.

Hey my friend...

Man I don't know about the "fairy dust" haha, but Your right about 200gr in 10mm... I use Beartooth 200gr HC at 21BHN, and shoot them out of the stock Glock G20 Barrel, and at 1200/1300fps they will pop those "caliche rocks" waaay out there with very good accuracy.

While I do have better results with my big bore revolvers and HC bullets, man I cannot fault the 200gr bullet Cast or XTP in a G20 for really good accuracy. In fact all the Glocks I have had/have now, all shoot out on the canyon rim (where we play at long distance with stuff behind the house) very well out to 300 yds. Those white rocks on the red clay canyon wall make for a really great shooting range when ya get tired of steel plates. They really explode ! ha.

I am shy a 41 mag in my stock of things at present, but like you, love the 44's 45's etc, and have shot them all my life and loaded about 98/99% HC for them all these years. Their my favorite shooting irons any way and EDC on the ranch.

Like you were saying about the 200gr and the 10mm though, it's like 22.0grs 2400 in a 44mag, or 18.5grs in the same, or 23/24.0grs H110 in a 44mag/45LC.... Seems like magic. I know you know what I'm talking about !

Hard to convience some folks on those powders and loads for the 44/45, but man I have been served very well with those in 250 Keith to 300gr LBT's in both those big calibers over the years.. Again, Kinda like your talking about the 200gr in the 10mm. Man it just works, (with proper powder/load).

Folks say NO HC in a stock Glock barrel... Man I been shooting 21BHN HC in the stock Glock barrels for 14/15 years with nothing but very good results. When ya can pop those Caliche rocks at those ranges out of the OEM and using HC, I'll take it !

Good shootin to ya amigo !

CM

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Old 07-09-2012, 15:22   #18
countrygun

I have been casting RCBS 250Ks and Lyman 429421s in single molds for a while and am excited because I almost have my hands on an old 429421 double.

I need a good mold, and haven't found one, for my .41s. I have been shooting some 220keiths, cast by (I am not kidding) an old hermit who lives even further up in the hills than I do.

I want a 200-210 gn mold of as close to a Keith that will feed in a stock Glock barrel. AKAIC If you religiously clean the barrel you can do it. I might pick up an aftermarket barrel anyway for the heck of it.

I had to make my own holsters for my 4" N frame .41 and .44 for carry in the hills, to get the holster I wanted, There are more good designs for the Glock so, if I get the bullets I want it goes into the "off pavement" rotation. A lot lighter than my Witness.
Old 07-09-2012, 17:55   #19
CanyonMan
In The Saddle

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygun View Post
I have been casting RCBS 250Ks and Lyman 429421s in single molds for a while and am excited because I almost have my hands on an old 429421 double.

I need a good mold, and haven't found one, for my .41s. I have been shooting some 220keiths, cast by (I am not kidding) an old hermit who lives even further up in the hills than I do.

I want a 200-210 gn mold of as close to a Keith that will feed in a stock Glock barrel. AKAIC If you religiously clean the barrel you can do it. I might pick up an aftermarket barrel anyway for the heck of it.

I had to make my own holsters for my 4" N frame .41 and .44 for carry in the hills, to get the holster I wanted, There are more good designs for the Glock so, if I get the bullets I want it goes into the "off pavement" rotation. A lot lighter than my Witness.

Suggestion...

Call "Tommy" at Lead Heads Cast Bullets. He is a real good friend of mine, and his Keith molds for the 44mag are the original sister molds from ole Elmer himself. They were given to him by John Taffin, and some other boys years ago. His "Keith" bullets are the 'real dea'l, and ALL I shoot when "shooting a Keith." Just do not say to him "Keith style," He gets real upset with the word "style." Haha . Cause these are "Keith bullets." The best on the commercial market.

Seriously, he "may" just be able to help ya find what your lookin for. Worth a phone call...

We're about 5 hours from a city, and a real loooong way from a town out here on the ranch. Being a 'hermit' ain't bad amigo !

Good luck with your project
Good shootin

CM

Old 07-09-2012, 18:04   #20
countrygun

Thanks for the info, I'll call tomorrow

Most people in town, (about 12 miles down MY canyon) call me a "hermit", at least in polite company.