SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-02-2012, 21:35   #1
MTSC90

The Most Accurate 9mm Loads!

Hey y'all,

I'm rather new to reloading but I do know a thing or two on the subject as a whole. I have reloaded 10mm, 9mm, .44 magnum, .38 special, and .357 Magnum. I own a various amounts of reloading manuals and check myself by all of these before making a new load so I know to reference to those manuals. The reason why I am starting a new thread is because I was wondering what y'all have found to be the most accurate combo of projectile, powder, OAL, and so on to provide more information on the topic for reloading.

What I'm working with:
Powders:
Accurate #5, Unique, Power Pistol, (I also have 800x, WW296/H110, but im guessing those are not used widely in 9mm loads due to the slower burning powder.)

Projectiles:
115 grain 9mm plated rounds, 115 grain 9mm LSWC, and some various other 124 grain rounds.

These will all be fired from my Gen 3 Glock 19.

So post the most accurate loads that y'all reloading gurus have came across if you all dont mind. July 4th is approaching and I am in dire need of a accurate pinking round.

Thanks ahead of time!
MTSC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 22:19   #2
MJC

It doesn't really work that way. The most accurate load in my gun may be not so hot in your gun.

To find the most accurate load for your gun with the components you have on hand will take some testing on your part.

Consult your several manuals and find a starting load with the components you have. Start there and work up til you find what works for your accuracy requirements or you reach max load.
MJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 06:23   #3
Kentguy

The only “most accurate load” data that I have which matches your stated criteria is this one;

Test guns – G19 w/4.02” barrel & G26 w/3.46” barrel
All load data used from the “Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading.”
Bullet – 124g XTP HP (Hornady)
Powder – Power Pistol @ 4.7g
Burn rate - #33 (Hodgdon)
Primer – Federal small pistol #100
Bullet seating OAL – 1.060”
Crimp – light
Velocity – G19 – 986.2 fps / G26 – 963.8 fps

Most everything else I have tested with a 115g/124g bullet I have tested out of my G17 those numbers wouldn’t help you much. As MJC has stated “To find the most accurate load for your gun with the components you have on hand will take some testing on your part.”
I agree whole heartedly, good luck and besafe.

Last edited by Kentguy; 07-03-2012 at 06:24..
Kentguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 06:34   #4
Rich22

I have had good luck with this so far, still whole lot of more testing to do.

Gun: Glock 19
Bullet: PD 124gr RN
Powder 5.4gr Unique
OAL: 1.15
Primer: Federal SPP

No Chrono so can't tell you what it is running but I am getting good performance or at least as far as I can tell with my relatively mediocre shooting skills.

Rich
Rich22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 08:05   #5
Boxerglocker
Jacks #1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentguy View Post
The only “most accurate load” data that I have which matches your stated criteria is this one;

Test guns – G19 w/4.02” barrel & G26 w/3.46” barrel
All load data used from the “Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading.”
Bullet – 124g XTP HP (Hornady)
Powder – Power Pistol @ 4.7g
Burn rate - #33 (Hodgdon)
Primer – Federal small pistol #100
Bullet seating OAL – 1.060”
Crimp – light
Velocity – G19 – 986.2 fps / G26 – 963.8 fps

Most everything else I have tested with a 115g/124g bullet I have tested out of my G17 those numbers wouldn’t help you much. As MJC has stated “To find the most accurate load for your gun with the components you have on hand will take some testing on your part.”
I agree whole heartedly, good luck and besafe.
Your loads are barely making 122 PF, tested for accuracy at what distance?

I use Power Pistol for my simulated SD rounds for 9mm, MG 124 JHP with 6.5g (over max per Alliant, not by some others) at 1.120 OAL. No pressure signs and make 1200 FPS average out of my G19. This is also a very accurate load when benched at 25 yards.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
BLUE Kool-aid drinking team member
Boxerglocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 10:52   #6
Kentguy

Boxer,

I have tested this load from 7 yards out to 25 yards and itis very accurate out of my gun in my hand. I have not run a standard penetration test in gelatin but it will penetratea ¼” piece of plywood. Not sure what PFyou are looking to achieve, but I think that will do the trick for me.
Kentguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 13:14   #7
FLSlim

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC View Post
It doesn't really work that way. The most accurate load in my gun may be not so hot in your gun.

To find the most accurate load for your gun with the components you have on hand will take some testing on your part.

Consult your several manuals and find a starting load with the components you have. Start there and work up til you find what works for your accuracy requirements or you reach max load.
Good advice! FWIW, in my two 9mm I've had best accuracy with 147 gr. moly-coated, but then that's me and my guns, not you and yours....
Florida Glockers Club #1040
Big Dogs Club #1592
FLSlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 18:28   #8
MTSC90

Thanks y'all, I usually would have a hard time finding load data for plated bullets. I dont know why you are not supposed to exceed 1200fps when using plated bullets but all i know is that I should try to keep it below this. I really like the power pistol and I have had good luck with it especially shooting the 115 grain LSWC. Looking into getting a chronograph here shortly so i will be able to regurgitate some numbers here shortly. It is just rather difficult for me to only load a certain amount of certain loads since i cant go in the back yard to shoot. ha but still i will give it a try and i will definitely be safe. I will let you all know what my finding are. I am sure I will be on the forum tonight due to the massive reloading fest that I will be having tonight in preparation for tomorrow. once again thanks!
Old 07-03-2012, 19:44   #9
Boxerglocker
Jacks #1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentguy View Post
Boxer,

I have tested this load from 7 yards out to 25 yards and itis very accurate out of my gun in my hand. I have not run a standard penetration test in gelatin but it will penetratea ¼” piece of plywood. Not sure what PFyou are looking to achieve, but I think that will do the trick for me.
I'm just inquiring, very unusual in my experience to have a load that light that has decent accuracy at 25 yards and beyond. The load I developed will do 2-3 inch 5 shot groups out of my G34 and under 2.5 in a STI Spartan 9mm, both rested on sandbags.
You never stated your expected accuracy or actual results.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
BLUE Kool-aid drinking team member
Boxerglocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 22:40   #10
MTSC90

I will also be using bags to shoot off of tomorrow morning.

Another thing thing to add. I am using XTREME Plated Bullets. I have read that the plating is much thicker than Berry's Plated rounds and that they can reach FMJ velocities. Knowing this, I am still going to try and keep the velocity below 1,200 feet per second.

I will also keep the targets with load data info on the target and i will post them up if possible. so this will give a visual aid
Old 07-06-2012, 08:45   #11
grenadier

My most accurate load is actually on the hotter side, but well below SAAMI max.

124 grain FMJ round nosed bullet (any)
6.3 grains Alliant Power Pistol (6.6 grains max)
COAL = 1.150"
Winchester standard small pistol primer

This is a load that all of my 9 mm Glocks love to digest. It also duplicates the feel of +P defensive ammo, while also being very, very accurate.
Old 07-06-2012, 08:51   #12
fredj338

I always love these questions because they rarely get a preface. What kind of accuracy are we looking for, 4" 25yd or 1" 25yd groups? As with any reloading, accuracy starts w/ the bullet. IMO, you'll never get match grade accuracy w/ plated in a 9mm, usually not lead either. WSF or Unique under a good bullet like the XTP will deliver sub 2" groups @ 25yds in my G17.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 22:22   #13
docholliday1

I load 6.6gr Hodgdon HS-6 w/ a Hornady 124gr ball, 1.125 OAL, Winchester SP primer. Out of my G19 they clock 1115-1125 fps and give me a thumb size hole at 7-10yds.
docholliday1 is offline   Reply With Quote