Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-27-2012, 22:48   #1
victormikelima
Tactical-Yogi

Lone Wolf Distributors Versus Storm Lake Threaded Barrels

Hello, GT community.

I have been setting aside pennies to go towards my purchase of a threaded barrel. However, I can not seem to accumulate enough information through online research to conclude whether or I should purchase a LWD (Lone Wolf Distributors) or a Storm Lake Threaded Barrel for my Glock 19 (Gen3).

It would seem that the LWD barrels are cheaper in price to the Storm Lake brand, but are more popular among the Glock community as a choice for threaded barrels.

However, I have stumbled upon a few comments that the Storm Lake barrels are of better quality than the LWD's, but are stricter in their versatility with different brands of ammunition.

So, I extend to the community the question of whether "you get what you pay for" applies in this situation, where the Storm Lake barrels are better all-around with the addition of a few dollars. Or, if I LWD just has fantastic deals on their barrels that can not be beat!

Your two-cents would be greatly appreciated in the donation towards my threaded barrel.

Thank you!
1 June 2012 - Present:
victormikelima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 22:52   #2
kodiakpb

I think you should get a factory Glock threaded barrel

http://www.dbackpolice.com/glock-m13...l-p-25549.html
General Glocking

Last edited by kodiakpb; 06-27-2012 at 22:54..
kodiakpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 23:02   #3
victormikelima
Tactical-Yogi

Interesting, I was not aware that they made factory Glock threaded barrels.

Could you please explain your reason for choosing this barrel aside from the others that are available?
1 June 2012 - Present:
victormikelima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 01:12   #4
9mm +p+

I've got a SL for my 19, it is very well machined and high quality. I've also got a LW barrel for my 21, it's been flawless in my use as well. I think either would work well for you.
Old 06-28-2012, 02:55   #5
Bello
America/Italia

I would go Glock threaded if that's true! I have a Kkm that gives me nothing but nothing of problems it's my 3nd Kkm barrel I even sent it to them they said it was fine still gives me nothing but problems now it's a 175 dollar paperweight aftermarket **** sucks stay stock and rock your Glock
Old 06-28-2012, 07:54   #6
chemcmndr

I've had Lone Wolf barrels for my G17, G19, and G21. The G21 barrel I did not have any problems with, but with the G17 and G19 barrels, I would get failures to feed every so often when using my reloads as well as with some Tula 9mm ammunition. I checked the rounds in a Dillon 9mm case gauge and they passed, and they would work in a factory Glock non-threaded barrel, but would not chamber in the Lone Wolf barrels. Some of the rounds would actually stick the action closed so bad I had to use the rear sight on the bench to try and open the gun. I ended up tearing the rear sight off in the process on one occasion. I sent the barrels back to Lone Wolf, along with a few reloaded dummy rounds, and they opened the chambers up on them a bit. When I got them back, I still had a few issues.

I ended up selling all three Lone Wolf barrels and I replaced them with Factory Glock barrels. At $200 a barrel when I found them online, it wasn't too bad of a deal. Another added bonus is in the design. Since the Glock barrels are metric threaded, they are designed to interface with an o-ring in the suppressor mount and help prevent the suppressor from unscrewing after a few rounds. The American threaded Lone Wolf barrels are not designed to do that. Plus I like the enhanced reliability of having the combat chamber on the Glock barrel.
chemcmndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 08:36   #7
SGT278ACR
Retired Veteran

I was very impressed with the quality of my Lone Wolf 40-9 barrel. I have no experience with Storm Lake. I went with the "price" factor right off the bat and have no problems with that decision or the barrel.
Old 06-28-2012, 08:46   #8
BobinIL

I don't like the angry scooby-doo on my gun, and I don't like the idea of paying extra to NOT have it put on there.

Last edited by BobinIL; 06-28-2012 at 08:47..
BobinIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 08:50   #9
4Rules

Lone Wolf offers their barrel with a black oxide finish.

Storm Lake now offers their barrels with an Isonite QPQ (ferritic nitrocarburizing) metal treatment (not unlike your Glock).
4Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 09:04   #10
kodiakpb

Quote:
Originally Posted by victormikelima View Post
Interesting, I was not aware that they made factory Glock threaded barrels.

Could you please explain your reason for choosing this barrel aside from the others that are available?
Are you planning on shooting lead reloads? If accuracy is your concern...you will not outshoot the factory barrel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemcmndr View Post
Since the Glock barrels are metric threaded, they are designed to interface with an o-ring in the suppressor mount and help prevent the suppressor from unscrewing after a few rounds. The American threaded Lone Wolf barrels are not designed to do that. Plus I like the enhanced reliability of having the combat chamber on the Glock barrel.
^^^ That

As far as Storm Lake....$245 for metric and oxide finish option.

Glock factory threaded barrel $175

...should be a no brainer
Old 06-28-2012, 09:20   #11
Bello
America/Italia

Where do you get a Glock factory threaded barrel?
Old 06-28-2012, 09:30   #12
kodiakpb

See the link in my first post above the pic
Old 06-28-2012, 09:37   #13
ronin.45

My Lone Wolf threaded 17L barrel has been 100%. I've heard nothing but good reports on the SL barrels. The only advantage I've heard of with SL is that the suppressor sits closer to the slide. There is supposedly more of a gap with the LW barrel.
Old 06-28-2012, 15:30   #14
avenues165

I bought a LW 357 sig barrel for my G24 and it runs flawlessly. The chamber is very supported and much tighter than my factory barrel. I have no regrets at all with my purchase and may use LW for a 40-9 conversion barrel for the same G24. My current barrel has about 750-1,000 rounds through it with no FTF, FTE, FTRTB, or any other problems.

Some have reported problems with LW barrels when reloading, something about the throat being too tight and not allowing for certain types of bullets to be chambered properly. I don't reload and don't entirely understand the problem, but the information I read was contained in threads on GT.

Others have said that the SL, KKM, and Barsto barrels are machined to a higher quality. I have no experience with any barrels in my Glock besides the factory barrel and the LW barrel.

My LW barrel meets my needs perfectly with factory ammo, YMMV.
avenues165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 13:46   #15
SVTRAPTOR12

I have had two different STORM LAKE barrels, a 357 sig that got stolen and currently have a 5.3 10mm two slot comp barrel on my G20SF. the 10mm is supremly accurate.
i can shoot a .5 inch group at 25yds. so there, that's my story and i'm sticking with STORM LAKE. LW BARRELS ARE MADE IN CHINA.

PS: My g 20 has a AIMPOINT H-1 MOUNTED ON THE SLIDE! AWESOME COMBO!
SVTRAPTOR12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 14:00   #16
jw38

Storm Lake....... don't look back. You won't regret the purchase.
jw38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 14:46   #17
ak103k

Ive owned a couple of LWD barrels, a 40-9, and currently, a threaded 17 barrel, and never had any issues.

I shoot mostly reloads, and thats never been an issue either.

As far as the Glock threaded barrel, I might go that route, but how many cans are available in the 13.5x1 left hand thread without an additional adapter?

Zeitgeist - Addendum
ak103k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 14:46   #18
dudel

I have 3 LW barrels, and they've all been great. Zero problems. kkm or sl *may* be better, but are they 50-100 dollars better? Not to me. I'd rather spend that on components.
dudel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 16:39   #19
anomaly13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobinIL View Post
I don't like the angry scooby-doo on my gun, and I don't like the idea of paying extra to NOT have it put on there.
Exactly!.....I went with storm lake for my g30 and I absolutely love it...
anomaly13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 17:58   #20
I Shooter

I got a six inch barrel for my 21 from LW and it works great. I picked up a compensated barrel for my 36 and I have had some problems with it. It will not feed HP I have had no problems with the factory barrel feeding HP. I sent it back to them and they said they couldn't get it to feed HP and that the factory barrel he had wouldn't feed hp. I explained that mine did and if they sent the barrel back I would make it feed. At this point I have been able to make it feed maybe a dozen rounds then I will get FTF. I talked with the LW gun smith and I sent him pictures of my Glock barrel feed ramp and he said that they were going to make a barrel with the ramp cut just like it. If they do that I should have a barrel that will shoot HP. It shoots FMJ fine. I do hope that they fix it. The 36 is my carry weapon and I carry HP in it. The compensated barrel Is much nicer to shoot. I hope that they get one fixed or I do,so I can use it. Till one of us do it is only used at the range. Have a great day.
I Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote