Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-01-2012, 17:03   #1
Bruce M

Pink badge

They did a breast cancer awareness badge for this month

Attachment 228050
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.

Last edited by Bruce M; 09-08-2013 at 17:32..
Bruce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 17:18   #2
collim1
Shower Time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce M View Post

Attachment 228050
Might be a good cause, but that is awful and I would be ashamed to wear it.

I would gladly wear one of the little pink ribbons safety pinned to the right side of my shirt, and IMO would be much more professional looking.
collim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 17:24   #3
Patchman
Florist

Ye gads!!! A pink band across the badge would be more professional and also get the message out.

In a gunfight, even if you do everything right, you can still get killed.
Patchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 17:37   #4
blueiron

'Susan G. Komen for the Cash' finally strikes policing.

Why is L.E. participating in such institutional madness? What about prostate cancer? Alzheimer's and dementia? Or one of the most insidious medical problems - pediatric cancers and leukemia?

Her sister, Nancy Brinker, founded the organization and now is the CEO and she makes over $417,000 a year for her 2011 salary.

According to a recent Reuters analysis, they have cut monies spent on research grants almost in half, based on their fund raising expenditures for the past several years. For an organization that 'wants to find a cure', this is suspect.

Does Planned Parenthood ring a bell? Why is an organization founded and claimed to be solely interested in breast cancer giving monies to promote abortion at Planned Parenthood? They claim it was done in communities where only Planned Parenthood exists to provide health services to the poor, but every county in the U.S. provides some form of health care to the indigent and working poor.

Why no services to men? Men get breast cancers as well, but there is no real push to get men any screening.

Breast cancer survival rates are higher than many other forms of cancers.

When the NFL, corporations, and agencies jump on these bandwagons, it is little more than 'charity blackmail' or 'me too' social consciousness.
blueiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 17:46   #5
TheExplorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiron View Post

Why is L.E. participating in such institutional madness? What about prostate cancer? Alzheimer's and dementia? Or one of the most insidious medical problems - pediatric cancers and leukemia?

Her sister, Nancy Brinker, founded the organization and now is the CEO and she makes over $417,000 a year for her 2011 salary.

According to a recent Reuters analysis, they have cut monies spent on research grants almost in half, based on their fund raising expenditures for the past several years. For an organization that 'wants to find a cure', this is suspect.

Does Planned Parenthood ring a bell? Why is an organization founded and claimed to be solely interested in breast cancer giving monies to promote abortion at Planned Parenthood? They claim it was done in communities where only Planned Parenthood exists to provide health services to the poor, but every county in the U.S. provides some form of health care to the indigent and working poor.

Why no services to men? Men get breast cancers as well, but there is no real push to get men any screening.

Breast cancer survival rates are higher than many other forms of cancers.

When the NFL, corporations, and agencies jump on these bandwagons, it is little more than 'charity blackmail' or 'me too' social consciousness.
Some very good points here.

I used to be a member but have since started donating elsewhere. I no longer agree with how some of their monies have been spent. I see a lot of fund raising and merchandising, but not much in terms of cure research. With the amount of money this organization brings in I simply think there should be more progress. My personal opinion of course based on minimal scientific knowledge.

In regards to the badge, I think it is over the top. Pins would do just fine.
TheExplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 18:21   #6
blueiron

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheExplorer View Post
Some very good points here.
Thanks.

While I have no kids, I enjoy giving to Shriners' Hospitals for Children. They use 90% of donated monies to help children with burn injuries, spinal cord injuries and diseases, orthopedic dysfunctions, and other problems.

Of course, how does that relate to a 'custom' badge to show the world that your agency 'cares'?
blueiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 19:01   #7
wprebeck
Die, bird, die!

We have a Kosair Children's Hospital here, and they do a massive fundraiser every spring. Its one of two charities to which I donate. They do great stuff, and two of my four kids have been involved in therapy at the hospital. I truly believe they're doing God's work.
wprebeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 19:16   #8
x_out86

I have to agree with the group here...good cause, terribly ugly.

I would much have preferred to get my hands on one of these:
Cop Talk
I long to accomplish a great and noble tasks, but it is my chief duty to accomplish humble tasks as though they were great and noble. The world is moved along, not only by the mighty shoves of its heroes, but also by the aggregate of the tiny pushes of each honest worker.
x_out86 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 00:16   #9
GumbyDammit
Xtra CoCheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiron View Post
There was a case not long ago where a small group (I think it was local) used "for the cure" or "for a cure" in their fundraiser advertizing. The "Komen for Cash" foundation slapped a lawsuit on them for copyright infringement, which cost them a wad of money not being able to use ads and other items they had already printed.

When their biggest priority is funding a legal team to stomp on others working for the same/similar causes, then you know what they are really about.
The other night there was a loud argument in the hall outside my apartment while I was trying to sleep. I went out and told them they better leave or I was gonna use some Kung-Fu... THAT scared them off...

Plus I was totally nekkid and holding a gun.
GumbyDammit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:08   #10
Bruce M

I also have heard over the years that the Komen people are perhaps not as high as say the Salvation Army in percentage of total proceeds actually used for the charity versus administrative costs. As luck hopefully would have it, proceeds from the sale of the badges is going to the Gloria Gemma Breast Cancer Resource Foundation and to the Firefighter Cancer Support Network. This badge is of course optional and there was no pressure to participate. Unlike a few decades back when particpation in the United Way was "voluntary."
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.

Last edited by Bruce M; 10-02-2012 at 07:08..
Bruce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:34   #11
Clutch Cargo
Amsterdam Haze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce M View Post

Attachment 228050
*****t cancer has gotten some real expoisure (no pun intended)as of late. Since the MDA Jerry's Kids thing has slowed, *****t cancer is now getting all the press.
Old 10-02-2012, 20:03   #12
lawman800
Juris Glocktor

Yep, the only thing I would wear for cause in uniform is the red ribbon for drug free week.
lawman800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 20:06   #13
lwt210

Our local FD has pink tee shirts they wear on duty that support this cause.

I sure hope nobody gets wind of that pink badge thing. Of course, I doubt that is CALEA approved.

And we can't even wipe our noses unless it is blessed by CALEA.
Old 10-02-2012, 20:32   #14
Kingarthurhk
Isaiah 53:4-9

I'd hate to see what the prostate cancer awareness badge would look like.
Old 10-02-2012, 21:16   #15
F350

May I throw in my 2 cents...

If you are looking for a worthy cause to support may I suggest COTA (Childrens Organ Transplant Association)

I knew the guy who started it, use to beg local companies (Bloomington IN) for money to keep the utilities on because he refused to take a percentage of donations; he was retired on disability and never took a single penny in salery, this from their web site...

Quote:
The Children's Organ Transplant Association helps children and young adults who need a life-saving transplant by providing fundraising assistance and family support. COTA does not charge for its services and does not take a percentage of funds raised.
Most transplant operations require money up front to get on the list; COTA has a bankroll just for this, they put up the money THEN start fundraising this is a damned worthy cause if you are looking for one.
F350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 16:36   #16
lwt210

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingarthurhk View Post
I'd hate to see what the prostate cancer awareness badge would look like.
It looks like this.

http://www.cityofalcoa-tn.gov/var/st...imagelarge.jpg

That is the biggest pain in the ......
Old 10-03-2012, 16:39   #17
Morris
CLM Number
Charter Lifetime Member

Thread winner^^^

Certified Glock Armorer
Certified M&P Armorer

Say NO! to Washington I-594
Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 18:47   #18
Faulkner
Patriot

The problem is with this pink deal is they just have to take a good thing too far.

Cop Talk

Last edited by Faulkner; 10-03-2012 at 18:51..
Faulkner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 18:50   #19
Kingarthurhk
Isaiah 53:4-9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faulkner View Post
The problem is with this pink deal is they just have to take a good thing too far.
Isn't that always the way. They have the breast awareness pink wrist bands around here that say "I love boobies". Try taking that to work and not being on the wrong end of some EEO complaint. I thought it was funny, but other folks in the office probably not so much.
Old 10-03-2012, 19:17   #20
Napalm561

Aren't police officers busy enough already fighting "common sense cancer", and "decency cancer"?

Wiping the turds of humanity from the ass of society from 1600 to midnight.
Napalm561 is offline   Reply With Quote